Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 3:46 am
Leetsu: Nice song. Bo Ningen are my neighbours. I'll often see them at my train station. They're great live. I even got to see them perform a score to Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain, which was incredible. Not only that, some of the members cook noodles and okonomiyaki as a pop-up restaurant. So I've heard their music and eaten their food!
What the...? Wow! That is surreal. Awesome! Ask them for me to tour Australia again when all this is over, making sure they come to Perth (not everyone does).
I also want to know how you just happened to be hanging with Ought in Iceland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That's not that interesting a story. We were at the ATP festival in Iceland and they were playing. Outside we sat on a bench and realised we were beside Ought so we chatted to them for a bit. Nice lads.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 43 thoughts

Chien, Adele - Yes, sorry you are not going to get any support from me here, she is just so dull. Just because you can hold a note does not make you a good musician, it's all so simple and lifeless. Glad you get something from it, but nothing for me.

Geezer, Off With Their Heads - As pop punk goes, I quite enjoyed that, angry enough to connect and while lyrically didn't really work for me, can see how they would have an impact.

JohnErle, Great Lake Swimmers - These guys are new to me, and it was quite lovely, will definitely have to explore a little more. Loved the drums.

Leestu, Bo Ningen - Yeah, these guys are staples of pretty much every psych fest around here and are always a blast. Seen them a few times over the years, think they definitely work better in a live setting, but this is a good song. Now, six, more importantly, where is this restaurant for when this is all over, good Japanese is hard to find around here at the best of times and though we try at home, having a good okonomiyaki is something I will travel to length of the country for!

Nspan, Spoon - A band I have heard about a lot over the years but never really invested in. I know this song, it has a great groove to it, I really should check them out more. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ron, Radiohead - Fantastic song, love how it develops and then the guitars kick in at the 4 minute mark, while those pounding tribal drums throughout are delightful, had I anymore room for more Radiohead in my countdown this would probably have made my list (I have installed a 2 song limit BTW). And in the tradition of great Radiohead videos, this was right up there too, I remember watching it on MTV 2 over and over again back in the day.

Screen, M. I. A - Not familiar with this but really enjoyed that. Why can't all pop music be as interesting!

Shryke, Korn - Oh, Shryke, after gaining redemption yesterday with The Thorns, you then throw some Korn at us! Horrible vocals, uninteresting music.

Six, Caribou - I remember you introducing me to Caribou on a previous countdown I think and I loved this album, and in particular this song. Not sure if I prefer it over Andorra material, but still really great stuff, would definitely be on a chilled out dancefloor with this beat.

Tranny, Mastodon - I don't think I ever knew Mastodon were a band who ventured into prog, the first minute and a half were lovely, lost interest after that unfortunately.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

So the Bo Ningen popup restaurant is called Drumsco. https://drumscolondon.wixsite.com/drumsco

They did have a residency in a cafe around the corner from me, called Hatch.

You're right that Japanese food is hard to find. Too many crappy sushi takeaways here. But there's a chain called Tonkotsu (in London and Birmingham) that do great ramen, if you ever come across them.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Awesome, saved both of those locations for when we are free to leave home some point (hopefully) in the near future. Looking at the menus were a damned tease but still, gives me hope that a tonkatsu, karaage or okonomiyaki will soon be mine!

Anyway, almost forgot this was a music thread!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

My opinion of this round is pretty much the opposite of Leestu's I thought it was a weak round, and the only one I sort of cared for was Coheed & Cambria, Attorneys At Rock. I tried listening to a bit of these guys back in the day, but I'll be damned if I can remember which songs or albums. I hope you have more songs coming that hearken back to Rush instead of Slayer and Venom.

I liked the Gotye track more the second time around, and Tidal Wave was okay, but I think I'd rather hear some actual psychedelic surf rock.

Odessa – Fantastic song. I considered it for my list but I prefer Andorra as an album, so I chose something from that instead.

Savages – It's a grower. ADDED

There, There – Definitely one of my favourite Radiohead songs. DJ tip: the drums at the end segue beautifully into Bohemian Like You.

Someone Like You – In my Cuba travel guide there was a glowing review of a hip watering hole near the Capital, so I stopped in one day and the decor was indeed very hip, so I grabbed a drink and dinner, and then they played what felt like eight songs in a row from some Adele live album. I suppose that if you've been cut off from Western civilization for generations Adele might seem hip, but it ruined the vibe for me. This is her best, but it's far from hip.

Bo Nignen – It ain't Adele, I'll give it that. A bit too repetitive for me. And I'm pretty sure I heard a lot of digital distortion caused by brickwall limiting here, which is literally painful to my ears. I had to shut it off after 2 minutes.

Mastodon – It started off well, but the canoodling lost me.

The rest ranged from forgettable to regrettable.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Juliette Armanet, L’indien (2017)

The beautiful voice of Juliette Armanet follows the beautiful voice of Adele. I’ve already said I consider Armanet’s voice to be one of the most beautiful around in music today. And she’s also a terrific songwriter, playing with the words like few singers can. As usual, a few lyrics that won’t do justice to the richness of the rhymes :

“An opal arrow in my oval, all spread on my pale face, strange flower, an Indian in my heart. A platinum arrow in my sternum, bloody point, feline shoulder, strange flora, an indian in my body”

GEEZER

Modern Baseball, Fine, Great (2014)

"I hate worrying about the future, cause all my current problems are based around the past" begins this one from Modern Baseball, and I was hooked from those very first words. This is a simple song but the lyrics are actually pretty spot on for me. I've felt exactly like this at points in my life. A lot of their songs are like that, but this one especially.

JOHNERLE

TV on the Radio, Wash the Day (2006)

The three minutes of droning guitar noise at the end are strictly optional, but everything before that is pretty awesome.

LEESTU

Kaiser Chiefs, Never Miss A Beat (2008)

Back to my fun, catchy, singalong songs I love. Another five-quadrant family favourite in my household.
Just as an aside: After a run of great singles in their early days these guys really should have quit while they were ahead. Their album from last year was one of the worst albums from 2019 I listened to.

NSPAN

Danger Doom, Benzi Box (2005)

MF Doom + Danger Mouse + Cee Lo. Atmospheric backing track and production, cool vocals from Cee Lo, and the usual great rhymes from Doom himself. Love this album.

RON B

Arctic Monkeys, I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor (2005)

Some banging guitarness here. I’m almost ashamed to say I didn't like the Arctic Monkeys when they hit the scene.

SCREEN203

Disclosure ft. Jamie Woon, January (2013)

Here is the infamous January by Disclosure I mentioned earlier. While it is similar to many of their others, I think the bridge stands out as an eerily beautiful digression from the typical dance rhythm, leading back into the groove.

SHRYKE

Level 42, All I Need (2006)

There is perhaps no band in music history that has had a greater impact on me than Level 42. This is particularly odd because they don’t really fit in any of the genres I usually frequent. What I can tell you is that I first heard them in 1985 when their hit single “Something About You” was released. I bought the album it came from, World Machine, and from that moment on, I was hooked. I bought, and devoured, every single album they had put out before WM, and did the same for every album that followed. I’ve NEVER done that with any other group, not even Depeche Mode or UB40. I’ve seen them live three times, and lead singer Mark King is the only rock star I’ve ever had my picture taken with (I have it somewhere… you should see me, a gawky 17-year-old standing shoulder-to-shoulder with my friggin’ HERO). Sadly, like most 80s bands, they faded away as the new millennium progressed, but they still had enough juice for one final great album, Retroglide. Two songs from that record recaptured the magic they had in their heyday for me, and this is the first. Is it a coincidence that I have a Level 42 song at #42 on my list? I’ll never tell…

SIX

David Bowie, Blackstar (2016)

Farewell, Mr Bowie. And what a way to bow out. Knowing he was on borrowed time, he made an album that foreshadowed his death and then went and passed the week it came out, almost as if he planned it. Seriously, his passing was devastating more most music lovers, but at the very least he ended on a high, particularly this epic track.

SURFER

Swearin', Grow Into A Ghost (2018)

I've featured Katie Crutchfield already during the countdown (Waxahatchee), so it only felt right I should acknowledge the wonderful work her sister had also been working on with her band over the last decade. Allison Crutchfield, Kyle Gilbride and co. have, over the course of a trio of albums been part of the charge to reignite the power pop genre, and with hit singles like this, surely it is time for a rebirth. Written just when we all thought the band were finished (Crutchfield and Gilbride split following their second album), the lead single, Grow Into A Ghost, finds Crutchfield singing about the phenomenon of drifting away from someone - a scenario that could fit into a somber, wistful tune, but has more wallop amid Swearin's bright, crunchy guitars and pounding drums. It all makes for an urgent and vibrant song, with a killer chorus to boot. I mean, I never wish any couples heartache, but if the result is a song like this....

TRANSFORMERS

Frank Ocean, Bad Religion (2012)

Frank Ocean's deeply personal ballad about being a closeted bisexual man trying to cope with the fact that he's in love with a straight man that can't possibly reciprocate the feelings he has for him is a devastating emotional gut punch that displays his gift for always bearing his soul in his songs-no matter how painful it is.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: At least there was a good rhythm
Geez: Not into the sport, nor the band. Vocals pushed me away.
John: This is a surprise. Not a bad song but never expected Cookie Mountain's finale track, which floats around, to ever be considered as one of their best. I'd choose Wolf Like Me from the same album. Still, a good track.
Leetsu: Ah, Diet The Stranglers! It was okay, but that's the most I'll ever get out of the Kaiser Chiefs. Except for the ad they did for Yorkshire Tea.
Nspan: Yep, really nice production and beats. I dug it.
Ron B: Really like the verses, less so the chorus. But a good song.
Screen: I didn't mind it's dancey rhythm, although it did get a bit repetitive.
Shryke: Even at their best they didn't do much for me.
Surf: Never heard of em. Not a bad fuzzy 90s-style indie rock song.
Tranny: Another surprise pick. This song has powerful moments. Ocean should have done a Bond theme song.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Arctic Monkeys, I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor - this just missed out on the just missed out songs we did just before we started this countdown...awesome, fun, singalong. high energy song

The Awesome

David Bowie, Blackstar - still makes me sad every time I hear it..what a way to go out with a song like this and a fantastic album to add to his collection of many fantastic albums

The Very Good

Modern Baseball, Fine, Great - I love the lo-fi vibe twhich is unusual for a pop punk band...the vocals may be off-putting to some but I love the realness to them, and the lyrics are honest and sincere...musically there are better songs on this album. I think by memory we've had one already, and hopefully another one is coming up later?

Frank Ocean, Bad Religion - interesting song to pick from this album...I actually agree that it is one of the best, but normally people would go for others (usually Pyramids, or Super Rich Kids)...great voice, and great lyrics

The Good

TV on the Radio, Wash the Day - first listen...I haven't gotten around to this album yet, I've only heard Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes, and Seeds, but they both great albums...this wasn't as upbeat as what I know of them, a bit more mellow and restrained...he does have a cool voice though

Level 42, All I Need - first listen...I had no idea these guys made it out of the '80s, let alone into this millennium...not a bad song, quite enjoyed the relaxed vibe, and the sound of his voice, and I that outro was kinda cool

Swearin', Grow Into A Ghost - a bit '90s retro but that's not a bad thing...this song didn't stand out on the album for me, but it was a fairly consistent album overall...a contender for misheard lyrics with "I want a chihuahua"

Danger Doom, Benzi Box - first listen...short and sweet

The Okay

Disclosure ft. Jamie Woon, January - I'm not into Disclosure or the genre, but I guess it's okay as background music

The Meh

Juliette Armanet, L’indien - first listen...I have listened to a decent amount of foreign language songs from all over the world (especially Japan) and for the most part understanding the lyrics don't matter because it's more about the music, however I'm thinking the reason I don't seem to be able to get into chanson music is because it's all about the lyrics, so not understanding the language does make a difference. Without that it's just pop music, not a genre I usually like much.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 42 thoughts

Chien, Juliette Armanet - A bit of Europop, and didnt really appreciate it, unfortunately. She does have a fairly nice voice, I guess.

Geezer, Modern Baseball - Yeah, I know this one, been listening to this album since you posted one of their songs earlier in the countdown and this is a highlight.

JohnErle, TV On The Radio - The culmination of a fantastic record, and while it is not my favourite of the record by far, I love how everything that had been played with throughout the album all just comes together into a cacophony of sound on the final track.

Leestu, Kaiser Chiefs - Completely lost interest in the band after the godawful Ruby, prior to that they were actually an ok band with a slew of catchy singles. Lyrics were not to my taste and I lost interest pretty quickly. The lead singer completely jumped the shark when he joined that non-talent show.

Nspan, Danger Doom - Not bad, had kind of an eerie vibe reminding me of The Specials running through it with that beat.

Ron, Arctic Monkeys - Great song, the first pretty much anyone heard of the band and they were a breathe of fresh air when they hit the top of the charts. Obviously they are a very different band nowadays but that does not stop this being an addictive song.

Screen, Disclosure - Ah, I know this, funny how you hear things but have no idea who it is. Not bad, like I slow club song I guess, would this be chillwave? I have no idea. Anyway, would not go out of my way for it, but at the same time would not turn it off.

Shryke, Level 42 - I love it when a band can have such an impact upon you, that you just have to dive into everything they do. Like others have pointed out, I did not even know Level 42 still existed as a band still, but this was actually pleasant. Up there with their best? No, but very listenable, and his vocals are still lovely.

Six, David Bowie - A stunning end to a glittering career. Possibly the best pop star ever to grace the Earth? The whole album this belongs to is fantastic, borrowing a little from his entire career but at the same time re-shaping and re-defining his music at the same time. I probably prefer
Lazarus, but that is just personal taste as the whole album is stunning.

Tranny, Frank Ocean - Not familiar with Ocean other than what has already been posted on here, but this is the best I have heard so far. And given the themes of the lyrics it makes it all the more powerful. He has very nice vocals too.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Douglas Adams Round:

Bad Religion – This is easily my favourite of his. Nothing else ever grabbed me.

Arctic Monkeys – I like it, but there are other tracks I prefer. Still better than anything I've heard from the later albums, though.

Bowie - I was never as obsessed with him as many are, but I respected him, so I was sad to see him go but impressed with the way he went out on his own terms. Since the album is so closely tied to his death it's hard to judge it objectively, but I'd be lying if I said it blew me away at the time. If I recall, Lazarus was the standout track for me, too.

L'Indien – I gave it a chance until the thoroughly un-funky guitars kicked in.

Modern Baseball – A welcome change of pace from you musically, but not for me.

Kaiser Chiefs – Someone said recently they couldn't hear what over-compression sounds like. It sounds like this.

Danger Doom – Or this.

Disclosure – Or this.

Swearin' – Or this.

Bowie – Or this, sadly.

For anyone who still doesn't hear what compression does to music, here's a 2-minute video that explains it beautifully:

There's a famous quote that music exists in the space between the notes, but when you compress everything to the point of most modern music, there's virtually no space at all between the notes.

Some people may prefer it that way, and that's fine if that's what floats your boat, but I usually prefer a more dynamic sound, partly because I love to hear a lot of kick in the drums, and partly because over-compression is tiresome after a while when I listen on headphones, which is 99% of the time. And remember a few rounds ago when someone praised the slamming guitars in Great Lake Swimmers? That slamming effect wouldn't have been possible if someone had compressed that album like most modern music.

I'm amazed I made it all the way to round 42 without going on a rant about this!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Six - Blackstar - I think Simon Pegg said it best... "The world been spinning for millions of years, and we got to live on it at the same time as David Bowie." Nuff said. 8/10

NSpan - Benzi Box - Really liked this. Cool stuff. 7.5/10

Surfer - I Want a Chihuahua :lol: - Not bad. Catchy rhythms, and very listenable. 7/10

Chien - L'indien - I liked this, more than most of your foreign language songs. Maybe you're converting me... 7/10

Screen - January - I'm starting to like Disclosure. I didn't like this as much as the one with London Grammer, but it was cool. 6.5/10

JohnErle - Wash the Day - Overlong, but still pretty good. 6/10

Tranny - Bad Religion - Not bad. His voice reminds me a little bit of Lenny Kravitz. 6/10

Leestu - Never Miss a bea t- Meh. 5.5/10

Geezer - Fine, Great - Like the guitars, but don't like the guy's voice at all. 5.5/10

Ron B - I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor - Pretty sure I've heard this before. Didn't care for it much, then, don't now. 5/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So we've come to the end of our sixth thread. Our Top 40 awaits, but I'll give everyone a day or two so we can all catch our collective breaths and give everyone (lookin' at you, Geezer) a chance to get all caught up.

CHIEN

Elbow, One Day Like This (2008)

The Seldom Seen Kid is one of my favorite English-sung albums of this century, I think. I love how one song after the other takes you to different territories while keeping a similar DNA. And this song best represents what I love about the album, it’s the kind of song that keeps evolving along the way and brings something to the table without jumping on it. It builds its own universe slowly and pushes it to surprise you. And I absolutely love the strings here.

GEEZER

Jimmy Eat World, 23 (2004)

Ok, so I admit, I rip a lot of your songs for being slow and long and meandering, which is exactly what this song is. But this song is slow and long and meandering in a way that I really, really love, with lyrics I find personally meaningful. It is also the perfect closer to one of my favorite albums. So see, I'm not completely one-note in my tastes.

JOHNERLE

Big Country, Soldier Of The Lord (2005)

I assume this was recorded some time in the late 90s, but Big Country fans had no idea it existed until it showed up on a Rarities collection in 2005. It's a very rough demo so the sound quality is dodgy -- worse even than Car Seat Headrest! -- but I love the contrast between the bouncy music and chilling lyrics. This would sound right at home on a Steve Earle album, which is high praise coming from me, on par with comparing something to Big Country.

LEESTU

Parquet Courts, Black And White (2014)

It was a tough call choosing a song from this album, I like this and Sunbathing Animal equally. I am aware that most Parquet Courts fans think this is their worst album, but it’s my favourite. I love their Velvet Underground inspired squalls of feedback.

NSPAN

Bright Light Social Hour, Back & Forth (2010)

I can't recommend their eponymous debut enough. These Austin boys fucking rock, and here's another funky jam to prove it.

RON B

TV On the Radio, Happy Idiot (2014)

TV On the Radio blew me out of the water with this hit, such energy and great pace.

SCREEN203

Flume feat. Tove Lo, Say It (2016)

Another dance song, with great vocals from Tove Lo and great production. Feels much more intense and heavy than most modern dance songs, with the lyrics and beat seeming more like an exceptional remix of a Tove Lo song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZe5K1DN4ec&t=74s[/youtube]

SHRYKE

Pet Shop Boys, The Way It Used to Be (2008)

Some songs make you feel nostalgic. Then you have songs that are actually about nostalgia. Like this one, yet another fantastic tune from their best album ever, Very. This song encapsulates everything I love about PSB – great lyrics coming out of Neil Tennant’s silky mouth and a groovy beat that holds just a glimmer of something much deeper underneath.

SIX

Kanye West, Black Skinhead (2013)

Yes, this song is in basically every movie trailer, sports promo, and ad from 2013 to 2018, but it’s still a damn great tune. Coming out of an era of confrontational experimentation, and just before he went full-cray-cray, this song actually sounds like a glam rock tune, emphasising the cocky beats while Kanye pokes fun at racism.

SURFER

Iceage, Forever (2014)

It's funny to think that Iceage are still only in their late 20s, they have been around since the early days of the previous decade, but during that time have developed greatly as a band. And while the raucous energy has subdued a little over the years (they are still just as ferocious live, mind), the bite is still very much there. This was never more evident than on their third record, Plowing Into The Field Of Love, an album which embraced genres as wide ranging as morose piano balladeering and sprightly country-rock, it was much like what the punk bands of the 80s explored once they looked for fresh ideas (see Meat Puppets). One of the singles from that record, Forever, emphasised this shift in sound but leap in quality most. A simmering, bloodied baroque balled, its a tantalising song with lead singer Elias Bender Ronnenfeldt crooning over an escalating riff with a stunning climax.

TRANSFORMERS

Young Thug and Travis Scott feat. Quavo, Pick Up the Phone (2016)

The trap movement is the latest hip-hop subgenre to significantly polarize fans. Its supporters laud its emphasis on unconventional production choices and the magnetism of the artists while its detractors criticize the lack of lyricism and use of vocal effects (the term "mumble rap" has been coined by its critics). As you could infer, I'm firmly in the former camp. While like every other popular movement in music it's produced some weak artists and annoying trends (overlong albums, phoned-in efforts), I believe trap has birthed some of the most exciting and rewarding music the genre has ever produced. This collaboration between Young Thug, Travis Scott and Quavo of Migos showcases just about everything that I love about trap. The hook is infectious, the production is immaculate and most importantly, it's just fun as hell.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »