Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Leestu wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 6:52 am
Bright Eyes, The First Day Of My Life - easily my second favourite song from the album...such a sweet song...did you hear they jsut released their first new song in nine years (it's pretty good - but not up to this standard obviously)
You have time for new music as well as the countdown?! [wink]
Yeah, I've heard it, really nice stuff. I assume you heard his work with Phoebe Bridgers in Better Oblivion Community Center? That had some of his best stuff in years so really hoping this carries forth to a new record. Plus if the world doesn't end I get to see him live at the beginning of September, very excited about that possibility. And still being alive too, obviously.
Yes it was a good album, their voices worked well together. It did feel a bit too safe in the middle section of the album, but it started and ended strong. The playful Dylan Thomas was probably the highlight for me, and Big Black Heart was the most interesting song musically.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Either I'm in a grumpy mood today which is affecting my musical appreciation, or I'm just not into today's songs...although it's probably a bit of both

The Very Good

Protomartyr, Pontiac 87 - so you and Six have both posted a Protomartyr song so far (none made my list here, although they have featured in my annual best songs lists previously), but where is A Private Understanding? Easily my favourite of theirs. Or even Wheel Of Fortune?...oh and Relatives In Descent is my favourite album of theirs. I think they just keep getting better and better so looking forward to their upcoming release

The Good

Redwalls, Summer Romance - first listen...it's like electric Bob Dylan meets The Arctic Monkeys...I like it

The Okay

Against Me!, We Laugh at Danger (And Break All the Rules) - first listen...not as good as the other Against Me! songs you've posted so far, or that I've heard elsewhere

Marian Hill, Sad Song - first listen...surprisingly I didn't mind this...her vocals were a bit annoying for my ears, and the lyrics did nothing for me, but I quite liked the stop/start beat, and the bassiness (I make my own words up when I can't find one that suits) of the production

Grimes, Oblivion - it's okay but too poppy for my taste...she does have a couple of songs I really like though

Dead Man’s Bones, Lose Your Soul - first listen...huh! I did not know Ryan Gosling had a band...I like the clapping beat, but I'm not keen on the children's choir (now that my three kids are all adults I think I've seen enough school choirs in my time to never want to hear anymore)

Taproot, Poem - first listen...that opening guitar riff reminded me so much of Nirvana, then the heaviness came in and I was liking that, but then he started singing, and I wasn't into the chorus...so it had potential but in the end I can't say I really liked it, it was just okay...care to elaborate on how this pissed of Fred Durst?

The Meh

Ron Sexsmith - Gold In Them Hills - first listen...okay so I'm impressed with (jealous of) his vibrato but the song bored me

The Rest

Keane, Nothing in My Way - first listen...bland...so bland

SZA, Prom - I really did not like this album when I listened to it...listening to one song from it again hasn't changed that opinion

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

CHIEN
Radiohead, 2 + 2 = 5 (2003)
I love Radiohead, so yeah mostly anything from them is awesome. 7.5/10

GEEZER
Jimmy Eat World, Kill (2004)
FL2. I liked this quite a bit, nice one. 6.5/10

JOHNERLE
The Avett Brothers, I And Love And You (2009)
FL. Did not resonate with me at all. 3.5/10

LEESTU
The Wombats, Let’s Dance To Joy Division (2007)
Revisiting this after many years, i loved it! 8/10

NSPAN
Ween, Gabrielle (2005)
This was cool. Another one i forgot about. 6.5/10

SCREEN203
Jem, 24 (2004)
FL. Not 100% sure ive heard it, either way, its not something id revisit. 4.5/10

SHRYKE
Gorillaz feat. Snoop Dogg and Jamie Principle, Hollywood (2018)
FL! One of fav 'bands'. Always got some kind of Electro indie pop with some rap layered in. But ill need to listen to this one a bit more. 6/10

SIX
Girl Band, Shoulderblades (2019)
FL. Slightly disturbing (actually, i hardly find any music disturbing, normally needs some visuals for me), interesting listen. But i must say, how the hell are you supposed to understand the lyrics? One time im trying to get the words but i can't get most. 6/10

SURFER
Ty Segall, Feel (2014)
FL. I liked this, a nice underlining bass, some cool guitar riffs and a fairly mellow voice. 6.5/10

TRANSFORMERS
The Dillinger Escape Plan, One of Us is the Killer (2013)
FL. Not bad, not at all. 6/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

TRANSFORMERS
Between the Buried and Me, White Walls (2007)
FL. Remove the vocals, and you have an epic metal song. 5/10

SURFER
British Sea Power, Remember Me (2003)
FL. It was a little ho hum. 4.5/10

SIX
Spiritualized, I Didn’t Mean to Hurt You (2001)
FL. Kinda heavy in a nice way. But i didn't really like it. Did like the oboe bit though. 4.5/10

SHRYKE
fun. feat. Janelle Monae, We Are Young (2011)
A repeat huh, its just a little bit too saccharine for me. But its nice. 5.5/10

SCREEN203
Lady Gaga, Paparazzi (2008)
Never really got the hype with Lady gaga. Meh. 4/10

NSPAN
Deltron 3030, Madness (2000)
FL. Not a massive fan of this kind of rap, but its not bad. 4.5/10

LEESTU
Powderfinger, My Happiness (2000)
This got a little bit overplayed here in Australia but i still like it. 6/10

JOHNERLE
The Airborne Toxic Event, Sometime Around Midnight (2008)
FL. Meh. 4/10

GEEZER
Spraynard, Applebees Bar (2015)
FL. Not for me. 2.5/10

CHIEN
Hichkas, Ekhetaf (2006)
FL. Wow, Iranian Rap eh? Pretty good! 6/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 2:26 am
Taproot, Poem - first listen...that opening guitar riff reminded me so much of Nirvana, then the heaviness came in and I was liking that, but then he started singing, and I wasn't into the chorus...so it had potential but in the end I can't say I really liked it, it was just okay...care to elaborate on how this pissed of Fred Durst?

This is from Taproot's Wiki page.

In 1997, Taproot sent their demo to Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst. Impressed with their material, he offered to get them a recording contract through Interscope Records. However, after extended negotiations, Taproot looked elsewhere, where they finally landed a lucrative record deal with Atlantic Records. Durst heavily cursed the band on vocalist Stephen Richards' answering machine. He also put some blame on System of a Down, who assisted Taproot in securing the Atlantic deal. In retaliation, Durst also kicked System of a Down off the 1999 Family Values Tour.

They even had the message Fred left:

"Hey man, you fucked up. You don't ever bite the hand that feeds in this business, bro . . . Took you under my wing, brought you to my house, talked about you on FM radio and press, and you embarrassed me and the Interscope family. Your association with Limp Bizkit doesn't exist. Your manager slings our name around, he's gonna be blackballed and probably be erased, and you will, too. He's a fucking idiot. You're gonna fucking learn from this time right here I hope you let your band know that you just fucked yourself. You need to be associated with somebody in this business, to put you out there and believe in you. Now you got enemies. Don't fucking show up at my shows cause if you do, you're gonna get fucked. You and your fucking punk ass man. You're learning right now exactly how to ruin your career before it gets started. All the luck, brother, fuck you." (The message left by Fred Durst on Stephen Richards' answering machine)

Seems to me they've done pretty well for themselves, so props to them.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Was a bit late on the listenings, here are a few highlights from rounds 59, 57 and 56 (have already reviewed the mystery round) :

Foster the People, Pumped up Kicks, chosen by Ron : The song was vaguely familiar, must have heard it before, but it is very catchy indeed, very pleasant listen.

The Avett Brothers, I and Love and You, chosen by John : Quiet and growing, nice melody, very nice song.

The Wombats, Let's dance to Joy Division, chosen by Leestu : Very fun song. When it started I said "That's not bad", but by the end I was having genuine fun.

Rufus, Innerbloom, chosen by Ron : I have no problem with long songs when they throw you into a universe like this one.

Ty Segall, Feel, chosen by Surfer : Hard to resist that guitar, you were right !

The Airborne Toxic Event, Sometime around midnight, chosen by John : Softly charming before picking up steam, very good.

Animal Collective, My girls, chosen by Ron : Love that. 3 good songs in 3 rounds, good taste man.

Fun feat. Janelle Monae, We are young, chosen by Shryke : I love that song, always have a blast listening to it, good choice.

Spiritualized, I didn't mean to hurt you, chosen by Six : Fantastic song, it starts gently and builds slowly towards something that catches your guts. Love it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Continuing with the highlights of #55 and #54

Pillowfight, Sleeping Dogs, chosen by NSpan : I'm not sure I'll listen to it again, but it's a nice song.

MIdnight City, M8, chosen by Screen : French act M83 has crossed the borders I see. Very nice.

Mogwai, Friend of the night, chosen by Six : I love Mogwai, good choice.

The Raveonnettes, Ode to LA, chosen by NSpan : There's an old school vibe to this very enjoyable song, really like it.

The Wombats, Tokyo, chosen by Ron : Seems like the Wombats are a good band, second song I discover and like of them.

Bruno Mars, Locked out of heaven, chosen by Screen : I'm really into Bruno Mars, but some of his songs are damn enjoyable, and this one definitely is, with a sort of Police sound to it.

Gotye, thanks for your time, chosen by Shyke : Weird and fun song.

Bright Eyes, The First day of my life, chosen by Surfer : That's a very lovely song, very soft, the kind I'll listen to again for sure.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Tom Rosenthal, It’s OK (2013)

Sometimes, I just love it when a song is short, simple, emotional. Just a voice, a few words, one instrument. The kind of song you listen to when the day is long gone, the night is just for you, and you feel a bit blue. This is a song I listen to then.

GEEZER

The Menzingers, I Don't Wanna Be An Asshole Anymore (2014)

Similarly, I have a lot of the Menzingers coming up, so I took this one out of the top 50 to balance the list as well. Unlike Against Me! however, four of my remaining five Menzingers songs are from the same album, which just goes to show why I consider it to be the best album of the last twenty years. This song however is off one of their less great (but still pretty great) albums, Rented World from 2014. Its an amazing punk song, so much fun, and I hope all of you will watch the video. A group of movie buffs should appreciate it, its fantastic! I actually have a Menzingers t-shirt that has Jason holding a bouquet of roses on it.

JOHNERLE

Yo La Tengo, I'll Be Around (2013)

For everything you need to know about Yo La Tengo, I refer you to the classic Onion article, “37 Record Store Clerks Feared Dead In Yo La Tengo Concert Disaster”

http://www.theonion.com/37-record-store ... 1819566399

Also: Ohm, Our Way To Fall

LEESTU

RAT!hammock, Ghost (2019)

A new song by a new artist that just clicked with me. Hasn’t had the chance to stand the test of time, and maybe it’s just recency bias (because I love fresh new music – it’s what has kept me listening to new music for so long now), but right now this sort of indie rock is exactly my indie rock taste.

NSPAN

Dan the Automator, King of New York (2000)

Kool Keith with more turn-of-the-century hip-hop. Love the beat, love the raps. Nostalgia points, too.

RON B

Daft Punk feat. Julian Casablancas, Instant Crush (2013)

One of the standout songs from Daft Punks last album, this time, they used the talents of Julian Casablancas from The Strokes.

SCREEN203

A Perfect Circle, The Outsider (2003)

I'm pretty sure this is intended to be satirical. A pretty scathing commentary on the pretentiousness of "edgy" Marilyn Manson-esque metal, as well as enablers of those that destroy themselves - from the point of view of said enabler. Love the guitar as well.

SHRYKE

Tori Amos, A Sorta Fairytale (2002)

There aren’t many female artists or female-led bands on my list, for which I feel I need to apologize (though two are in my Top Ten). There are, however, two songs by Tori on my list, both from her exceptional album Scarlet’s Walk. She’s not only got an impeccable voice but is a prodigious piano player. She utilizes those low keys better than any I’ve heard, and her lyrics are thought-provoking and dynamic.

Down New Mexico way
Something about the open road
I knew that he was looking for some Indian blood and
Find a little in you find a little in me
We may be on this road but
We're just impostors in this country you know
So we go along and we said we'd fake it

SIX

Fuck Buttons, The Red Wing (2013)

A few rounds ago I mentioned my faded obsession for post rock. Well, part of it still lingers in modern acts, such as the British duo Fuck Buttons who started off making abrasive noise, but soon settled into something slightly more melodic. This is their greatest achievement, a sort of deconstructed dance song, slowed down times ten in order to appreciate every part of the complex web of sound it weaves.

SURFER

Idles, Mother (2017)

Idles currently sit at the top of the burgeoning UK post-punk scene, headlining festivals and selling out some of the largest venues. Yet just a couple of years ago this all probably felt a long way off for the band. Having been together for almost a decade prior playing small pubs, Idles released Butalism in 2017, a record fuelled by rage and heartache, as band leader Joe Talbot addressed male rage, the death of his mother, the burden of expectation and the state of the NHS. It is a stunningly powerful record, and Mother is the beating heart of it all. Targeting masculine impotency and the damaging effect the economic system had on his mother (she had a stroke when Talbot was just 16 and subsequently he had to become her carer), it's a song that plays on the meaning of the title, while sonically it is an abrasive and exhilarating listen. WlIve, when the chorus kicks in, and you hear thousands of young guys scream out the words 'Mother... Fucker', it's astonishing to step back and comprehend the real meaning of the song, and that it's not just a funny swear word. Brutal.

TRANSFORMERS

Unearth, Crow Killer (2008)

More metalcore from my neck of the woods. Putting thrash-inspired guitarwork alongside a barrage of brilliantly-deployed breakdowns that pay homage to Boston's hardcore legends have made them a long time favorite of mine.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 53 thoughts

Chien, Dead Man's Bones - That started out with what sounded like the same beat as Leestu's The Gossip pick. Obviously it didn't follow suit and became a very different song, but I liked this one quite a bit, dark and moody. Nice vocals, is that Gosling on lead?

Geezer, Against Me - I can imagine the band would be a blast live, but as a song in its own right, I didn't really get anything from this. Couldn't even get a discerning riff from it to keep my interested I'm afraid.

JohnErle, Ron Sexsmith - Really lovely piano in this. I don't think I have ever heard this before, but having listened 2 or 3 times it already feels very familiar, as if this is a song I had cherished for many years. Always a sign of a good song.

Leestu, Modest Mouse - Great opening to a fantastic album. While I think it works better as an album opener than as a standalone track, in that I can't really separate it from the record, it is still very good.

Nspan, The Redwalls - Sounded very much like a song of its era, indeed I could easily imagine this being a song by The Walkmen. Decent enough, though I imagine I will have forgotten it by tomorrow.

Ron, Keane - Other than Bedshaped, which I think I like mainly for its video, I just don't really care too much for Keane at all. I'm kind of intrigued to hear their earlier work, as I'm sure I read somewhere they used to have a bit more bite in when they were the Lotus Eaters. I could quite feasibly have imagined this also. This though is all very safe. I'm sure my mum would love it.

Screen, Marian Hill - Didn't really feel anything with this.

Shryke, Taproot - Again, very much a record of its time, I can hear a lot of nu metal acts in this song, and so unfortunately it didn't appeal at all.

Six, Grimes - My favourite song of hers from my favourite album of hers. Was so close to including this in my own countdown, just love the vocals and production of it all.

Tranny, SZA - Not really my genre at all, so I can't really say I could differentiate her from the many other RnB/ pop stars out there.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: The problem when it's just you and on instrument is that you really have to be damn good to make yourself stand out from the crowd. This doesn't quite do that, and instead lives up to its title: it's okay ;)
Geez: Sounds a little over-produced for punk.
John: This was lovely. Even though it kinda loses itself in the last minute I was happy to drift away into it. I remember that article when I was in uni. It's hilarious.
Leetsu: It's not bad. I'd be surprised if it makes the next Top 100 songs of the millennium, currently scheduled for Feb 2030.
NSpan: Very old-skool, but it sounds great to me. Maybe my favourite Dan the Automator song so far.
Ron B: I liked the music and the vocals from Casablancas, I just don't think it warranted 5+ mins.
Screen: So this is the dude from Tool? Didn't sound anything remotely as interesting as Tool, though.
Shryke: I respect Tori, more her 90s stuff, but this didn't quite grab me. She's pretty damn prolific, though, I'll give her that.
Surf: Yes! Great to see some IDLES love. Incredilbe song, particularly the bit on sexual violence. And yeah, it's powerful live too. Can't wait to see them again, hopefully later this year.
Tranny: Sorry, couldn't stomach it!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Chien, Dead Man's Bones - That started out with what sounded like the same beat as Leestu's The Gossip pick. Obviously it didn't follow suit and became a very different song, but I liked this one quite a bit, dark and moody. Nice vocals, is that Gosling on lead?
It is Gosling, yes.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Leestu wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 2:26 am

Protomartyr, Pontiac 87 - so you and Six have both posted a Protomartyr song so far (none made my list here, although they have featured in my annual best songs lists previously), but where is A Private Understanding? Easily my favourite of theirs. Or even Wheel Of Fortune?...oh and Relatives In Descent is my favourite album of theirs. I think they just keep getting better and better so looking forward to their upcoming release
A Private Understanding is a great song, although I prefer Half-Sister (obviously), My Children, and Windsor Hum. Wheel of Fortune is fantastic. To be honest, they're one of my favourite bands from the last decade so I've very little criticisms. I think The Agent Intellect is the better album because it's more consistent, but they're both amazing.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#52 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4KmQI ... UI2d1Xnk9Q

Misssing: Dan The Automator

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Idles, Mother - the song that got me into IDLES...great mix of humour and an important message, while also being full of passion...I probably should have had this in my own list. Oh well, I do have an IDLES song coming up later

The Great

Fuck Buttons, The Red Wing - hmmm, I never thought of the post-rock influence here but I see where you are coming from...this has a great post-industrial type sound that holds my attention, a drone influence that successfully draws me into the song instead of losing me, with treats of neo-psychedelic effects throughout...not sure it's my favourite from the album, as it's one of those albums I only listen to as a whole experience, rather than single songs, but it is a top 10 album of 2013 for me

A Perfect Circle, The Outsider - great song...still heavy, but a little bit more accessible than Tool...nice pick Screen!

The Very Good

Tom Rosenthal, It’s OK - first listen...oh this hit me in today's times...sad, but optimistic and hopeful for the future...good video too that added to the feel of the song

The Menzingers, I Don't Wanna Be An Asshole Anymore - first listen...fun song, fun video...definitely going to check out more of them down the track

I'll Be Around - Yo La Tengo - lovely song

The Good

Unearth, Crow Killer - frist listen...a little bit showoffy but still listenable with great energy

The Okay

Dan the Automator, King of New York - first listen...who is this Dan The Auotomator you think so highly of?...it's got a nice mellow vibe, but maybe a touch too laid back for my '90s hip hop tastes

Daft Punk feat. Julian Casablancas, Instant Crush - I like the effects at the 3 min mark, and Julian's vocals in the second half of the song, but the rest is just standard Daft Punk without anything new and exciting that they haven't done before

The Meh

Tori Amos, A Sorta Fairytale - first listen...what happened to Tori? She had some great songs in the '90s, then went so AM radio friendly...still has a great voice but she could do so much more with it than this

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
The Avett Brothers, I And Love And You (2009) (not bad, and I don't consider this even remotely country, if that helps!)
Ween, Gabrielle (2005) (really decent stuff here!)

Love It
The Wombats, Let’s Dance To Joy Division (2007) (not a big fan of Joy Division, however this Wombats band has definitely got my attention. Great stuff)

Meh
RUFUS, Innerbloom (2015) (not terrible, but too long)
Jem, 24 (2004)
Ty Segall, Feel (2014)

Loathe It
Radiohead, 2 + 2 = 5 (2003)
Gorillaz feat. Snoop Dogg and Jamie Principle, Hollywood (2018)
Girl Band, Shoulderblades (2019)
The Dillinger Escape Plan, One of Us is the Killer (2013)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude