Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by numbersix »

And into the 50s

Chien: I really like this song. Never liked much of their other stuff, but this is sweet. I actually prefer the John Tejada remix (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOA6U_ytt7w) which just missed my list.
Geez: Besides bagpipes, the other instrument I have a problem with is the accordion, which haunted my childhood. So it was hard to give this song a chance.
John: Like you, Sex on Fire made me walk away from these guys. Unlike you, this fairly generic blues tune did nothing for me.
Leetsu: This didn't work for me at all. The vocals sounded very much like typical American hard rock, and the music non-descript. Sorry!
NSpan: Sure it's very retro, but it also rocks. Really enjoyed this.
Ron: Yep, very catchy. Could have been a minute shorter as it's pretty much totally reliant on that single riff, but it's still fun.
Screen: Not a fan, and those lyrics come across as very arrogant, even if she's half-joking.
Shryke: Not my kinda thing.
Surf: This was a great tune. I have Suck My Shirt and never listened to much else, but this gives me motivation to.
Tranny: French metal sounds about the same as other metal to me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 60 thoughts

Chien, Julien Dore - Reminds me of something but can't put my finger on it. Not really appealing to me either way though.
Geezer, The Menzingers - I like some of The Menzingers, can't stand some of their stuff though (especially so the last record). This was on the former side, not bad at all.
JohnErle, XTC - pretty good, as others I prefer their earlier stuff and wasn't aware they were still going, but enjoyable enough.
Leestu, Cloud Nothings - Fantastic song, one of their very best. The song goes through wave after wave of intensity, and that point where it builds back up again after the instrumental and Baldi returns with his vocals gets me going every time.
Nspan, Handsome Boy Modeling School - Decent beat but otherwise didn't really interest me.
Ron, Tenacious D - It's a novelty record from a novelty album, but one I have enjoyed on many, many occasions. The number of times we rocked out to this in our local rock club is too many to count, and I still have a blast every time I hear it.
Screen, Sia - Not what I am familiar with from her, was OK actually but not something I would seek out again.
Shryke, Better Than Ezra - Yeah, definitely a band past their prime.
Six, LCD Soundsystem - Made my own list so obviously I'm a big fan, and as you say, it is kind of one of those universally loved records.
Tranny, Deftones - I like some Deftones, and this is one of their better songs, good stuff.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Surfer, even I didn't like the latest Menzingers record, and I am a huge fanboy. It all sounded regurgitated to me, and especially coming off the absolutely fantastic After the Party, it was such a let down. I think I listened to it once.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Same rules as before. You have 24 hours to PM, IM, or email me your guesses. Good luck!!

#58 (MYSTERY ROUND)

Keziah Jones, Afrosurrealismfortheladies (2003)

My Chemical Romance, Helena (2004)

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin (2007)

Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks (2009)

Matt and Kim, Daylight (2009)

Death Grips, On GP (2012)

Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades (2014)

Royal Teeth, Wild (2014)

Travis Scott feat. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler (2015)

The Arcade Fire, Everything Now (2018)

Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence (2019)

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien – Such Great Heights – This was a lot of fun. Had my foot tapping the whole time. Love the breezy beat and gentle vocals. Reminds me of how Lightning Seeds’ music made me feel 30 years ago. Great choice! 8/10

Screen – 21 Things I Want in a Lover – Love me some Alanis. This won’t take its place in my pantheon of my favorite songs of hers, but it’s still cool. 7/10

Six – Get Free – I don’t know Major Lazer, but I love the reggae influence. 7/10

Geezer – Sunshine Highway – Actually, my first exposure to the DM’s was their dysfunctional Christmas song. Which was bonkers, but awesome. This was pub music, but I have no problem with that (or the accordion)! 6.5/10

Surfer – Make it Right – The Runaways have been reincarnated! (Gotta say, when I saw that album cover, I thought it was the Sand Snakes from GoT. Yeah, I know.) 6/10

NSpan – Old Fangs – Liked this, especially the crunch guitars. 6/10

Ron B – Pumped Up Kicks – I heard this ad infinitum ten years ago. I never really liked it then, but now … yeah, it’s just okay. 6/10

Leestu – Déjà vu – Very pleasant, catchy, enjoyable. 6/10

JohnErle – Dusty – I’ve got nothing against acoustic songs, but this did nothing for me. At all. 5/10

Transformers – Backbone – What Six said. 4.510

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT I HAVE A TAKE ABOUT ONE OF THE MYSTERY SONGS THAT IS GOING TO BE SO BRUTAL FOR ME TO HOLD IN FOR THE NEXT 24+ HOURS.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
XTC, I'm The Man Who Murdered Love (2001) (good stuff)
Cloud Nothings, Wasted Days (2012) (ditto, just too long. If it ended after 3 minutes I'd have loved it)
LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends (2007) (ditto, just too long. If it ended after 4 minutes I'd have loved it)

Love It
Tenacious D, Tribute (2002) (Been a favorite of mine forever. Just amazing)
Better Than Ezra, Briefly (2001) (Awesome song, Shryke. Makes me want to check out more of their deeper cuts)

Meh
Julien Doré, Paris-Seychelles (2013)
Sia, Breathe Me (2005)
Ex Hex, Beast (2014) (fine, but ultimately forgettable for me)
Deftones, You've Seen the Butcher (2010) (Deftones have always been very meh for me)

Loathe It

Handsome Boy Modeling School, A Day in the Life (2004)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 59 thoughts

Chien, The Postal Service - was definitely a contender for my own list, and definitely the best thing Ben Gibbard has done since Transatlanticism. Great mix of synths and vocals.

Geezer, The Dropkick Murphys - Not really a fan of this Celtic rock, a little too singalong, as if the whole pub has had a few too many drinks and decided to end the night with a sing song.

JohnErle, Kings Of Leon - Seems as a community we all gave up on this band after Sex Is On Fire, when they literally became the modern day U2. Their first couple of records are great though. And indeed, I wasn't sure if they were for real or not with the looks they had for this record. One by one they lost the facial hair though and became more suitable for the GQ audience... Definitely would have picked Molly's Chambers from this record though, as much prefer it to this one.

Leestu, Something For Kate - Wow, I really didn't like this at all, so uninspired and rather dull. I could have been, dare I say it, Staind or Nickelback for all I cared.

Nspan, Black Mountain - I considered Black Mountain for my countdown, but honestly I think I just like listening to their albums as a whole experience as not one individual song ever really stands out. This is one of their better ones though, so well done for finding one.

Ron, Foster The People - Ah, never knew this was Foster The People. Very radio friendly, and it is a nice pleasant listen. Reminds me a little of Peter, Bjorn and John's Young Folks actually, complete with whistles!

Screen, Alanis Morissette - I don't think I'll ever get the interest in Alanis, her popularity just goes so beyond me. Glad you see it though.

Shryke, 311 - Don't really know what to say for this one, just not my thing really.

Six, Major Lazer - Knew the name but never really listened to any Major Lazer. Wasn't something I would have sought out previously, but was nice. Loved the vocals.

Tranny, Gojira - Sorry buddy. It's just so damned angry! Whether it's justified or not, it does not befit my ears!!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Kings Of Leon, Dusty (2003) (Love your blurb about them. Man did this band get overplayed. I'll say I'm glad they at least have something worthwhile in their bag)
Something For Kate, Déjà Vu (2003) (very pleasant)

Love It
The Coathangers, Make It Right (2016) (I love “woah-woahs'', immediate power chords and propulsive drum beats, so this was right up my alley!)

Meh
The Postal Service, Such Great Heights (2003) (definitely another song I've heard in commercials for something. Didn't love it)
Black Mountain, Old Fangs (2010)
Alanis Morissette, 21 Things I Want In A Lover (2002) (Alanis is always going to get a meh from me)
311, Sunset in July (2011) (doesn't move my needle, though interested to see which other one made it)
Major Lazer, Get Free (2013)

Loathe It
Foster the People, Pumped Up Kicks (2010) (Sorry mate, didn't even hit play, if I never hear this song again as long as I live, that would be fantastic by me. I didn't like it the first time, and hated it the subsequent 742)
Gojira, Backbone (2005) (Can you actually decipher what it is they are saying? I've always wondered. I know I can't)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 4:32 pm
Round 59 thoughts

Geezer, The Dropkick Murphys - Not really a fan of this Celtic rock, a little too singalong, as if the whole pub has had a few too many drinks and decided to end the night with a sing song.

You say this like it's a bad thing....

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

58-60

The only new to me track I'm likely to listen to again was Major Lazer. Nice reggae vibe and electronic flourishes.

I'm pretty sure I've already expressed my fondness for All My Friends, and Black Mountain in general, but I'm going to try to limit my responses to interesting tracks you guys have introduced me to from now on. I don't want to give too much away for future mystery rounds.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are the results. Did not hear from Screen, NSpan, or Chien.

Freaking Six wins again... I mean, congrats, dude! :lol:

Six - 8/10
Surfer - 6/10
Tranny - 6/10
Leestu - 4/10
Geezer - 2/10
JohnErle - 1/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Surfer: 6/10
NSpan - Keziah Jones, Afrosurrealismfortheladies - CORRECT
Shryke - My Chemical Romance, Helena – WRONG (Tranny)
JohnErle - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin - CORRECT
Geezer - Matt and Kim, Daylight - CORRECT
Tranny - Death Grips, On GP – WRONG (Leestu)
Six - Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades - CORRECT
Ron B - Royal Teeth, Wild – WRONG (Shryke)
Screen - Travis Scott Ft. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler - CORRECT
Leestu - The Arcade Fire, Everything Now – WRONG (Ron B)
Chien - Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence - CORRECT

Leestu: 4/10
Chien - Keziah Jones, Afrosurrealismfortheladies – WRONG (NSpan)
Surfer - My Chemical Romance, Helena – WRONG (Tranny)
NSpan - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin – WRONG (JohnErle)
JohnErle - Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks – WRONG (Surfer)
Six - Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades - CORRECT
Shryke - Royal Teeth, Wild - CORRECT
Tranny - Travis Scott Ft. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler – WRONG (Screen)
Ron B - The Arcade Fire, Everything Now - CORRECT
Screen - Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence – WRONG (Chien)

JohnErle: 1/10
Chien - Keziah Jones, Afrosurrealismfortheladies – WRONG (NSPan)
Geezer - My Chemical Romance, Helena – WRONG (Tranny)
Surfer - Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks - CORRECT
Ron B - Matt and Kim, Daylight – WRONG (Geezer)
NSpan - Death Grips, On GP – WRONG (Leestu)
Leestu - Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades – WRONG (Six)
Screen - Royal Teeth, Wild – WRONG (Shryke)
Tranny - Travis Scott Ft. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler – WRONG (Screen)
Shryke - The Arcade Fire, Everything Now - WRONG (Ron B)
Six - Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence – WRONG (Chien)

Geezer: 2/10
Shryke - TRANSFORMERS, My Chemical Romance, Helena – WRONG (Tranny)
Leestu - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin – WRONG (JohnErle)
Chien - Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks – WRONG (Surfer)
Six - Death Grips, On GP – WRONG (Leestu)
Surfer - Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades – WRONG (Six)
JohnErle - Royal Teeth, Wild – WRONG (Shryke)
Tranny - Travis Scott Ft. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler (Screen)
Screen - Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence – WRONG (Chien)

Six: 8/10
Screen - My Chemical Romance, Helena – WRONG (Tranny)
JohnErle - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin - CORRECT
Surfer - Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks - CORRECT
Leestu - Death Grips, On GP - CORRECT
Shryke - Royal Teeth, Wild - CORRECT
Chien - Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence - CORRECT

Tranny: 6/10
Chien: Arcade Fire-Everything Now – WRONG (Ron B)
Geezer: Matt and Kim-Daylight - CORRECT
John: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club-Berlin - CORRECT
Leestu: Death Grips-On GP - CORRECT
NSpan: Keziah Jones-Afrosurrealismfortheladies - CORRECT
Ron: Travis Scott-Nightcrawler – WRONG (Screen)
Screen: Royal Teeth-Wild – WRONG (Shryke)
Shryke: Silvia Perez Cruz-The Sound of Silence – WRONG (Chien)
six: Angel Olsen-Dance Slow Decades - CORRECT
surfer: Grizzly Bear-Two Weeks - CORRECT

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#58 (MYSTERY ROUND)

CHIEN

Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence (2019)

What makes a great cover? You have to take the essence of the original, twist it, take it somewhere else, make it your own. Last year, I saw a film from Uruguay, one of the very best films of the year, “A 12-year night”, about the Uruguyan dictatorship in the 70’s/80’s. And suddenly, in the middle of the film in which you follow 3 captives being sent from jail to jail over the years, with absolutely no access to the light of day, this cover of “The Sound of Silence” appears. It’s quiet and loud. Emotional and hurtful. It cries the denial, the torture depicted in the film. It gives a new meaning to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYyR0FOUXDE

GEEZER

Matt and Kim, Daylight (2009)

This is so different from so much of my list, but this little twosome has held a special place in my heart from the very first time I saw them on stage 12+ years ago. They are so much God damn fun live that I could not under any circumstances leave them off my list. Their shows are basically a rave, and they have countless catchy songs worthy of your attention, but this one is probably the first I truly loved and still to this day is their best for me. Their early stuff will always be their best stuff. I got to see them in their 10 year anniversary tour for this album last year, the first time I've seen them in probably 5 or 6 years, and they still killed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgBeu3FVi60

JOHNERLE

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin (2007)

“Somebody's gonna ___ somebody.” Never before have I heard the essence of rock and roll articulated so eloquently.

Also: All You Do Is Talk, Took Out A Loan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZNfwm7_Bgk

LEESTU

Death Grips, On GP (2012)

The best experimental noise hip hop band going around. Every album is worth checking out, but this powerful depressing song is my favourite Death Grips song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinJDxLUsNY

NSPAN

Keziah Jones, Afrosurrealismfortheladies (2003)

It's my understanding that Jones is a superstar in most parts of the world... but remains relatively obscure here in the States. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER, AMERICA! This track is off of one of my absolute favorite albums of the 21st century ("Black Orpheus")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mew6Mvcu83g

RON B

The Arcade Fire, Everything Now (2018)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC30BYR3CUk

SCREEN203

Travis Scott Ft. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler (2015)

The atmospheric production is the main reason I like this song so much, truly brilliant from a technological standpoint. The lyrics aren't exactly the most clever or meaningful (not to mention misogynistic), but the song has something about it that makes me put it on repeat every now and then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNr6X0_vmWM

SHRYKE

Royal Teeth, Wild (2014)

I’ve just realized that I have several songs on my list that pertain to being young, wild, and carefree. I suppose that’s only natural when you tend to slip into a nostalgic stupor as often as I do (and it will probably get worse as I descend even further into old fart territory). I love the energy, the indie pop vibe, and the lilting trill that Nora Patterson brings to her vocals. Hopefully you will too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhK3HaviHMw

SIX

Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades (2014)

There’s nothing like being at a gig during a quiet song and realising that everyone has shut up to listen. It’s rarer than you think, but it certainly happened the first time I shared a room with Angel Olsen. It’s the strength of her vocals and the sparse yet powerful use of music, best demonstrated here as she very quietly croons downtrodden lyrics about unfortunate misunderstandings before the song breaks loose and Angel cries out about not worrying about it all, and that we should just dance (slowly) to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJWyAvAj2E

SURFER

Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks (2009)

Broadening their sound following their break out record 'Yellow House', Grizzly Bear regrouped and embraced all corners of their influences on 'Veckatimest', and what resulted was a truly timeless record filled with soaring pop harmonies and gorgeous production. As the lead single to that record, Two Weeks is a joy to listen to. With Spector-esque production values, Beach Boys like harmonies, and a bouncing piano line to ensnare anyone in earshot, there is a real elegance to this song. The fact that something so intricate, delicate and deliberate can sound so simple is astonishing, and proves itself to be a pop masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjecYugTbIQ

TRANSFORMERS

My Chemical Romance, Helena (2004)

Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is my most played record of all time to this day. There was a stretch between the end of 7th and middle of 8th grade where I would listen to the entire record front to back at least once per day. Helena actually wasn't my favorite track back when I was especially obsessed with this album, but since I passed through my "I'M TOO EDGY TO LISTEN TO THESE GUYS" phase in high school-I've developed a deep-rooted appreciation for it. The hook is sensational, the tight yet catchy songwriting puts 99.9% of other pop punk songs to shame and the lyrics are a beautiful tribute to the loss of a loved one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1tA0bpDQs