Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen203 - Midnight City - I seriously love this song. The hook does sound familiar, but I love that I haven't heard it so many times it's become blah. Great choice! 8.5/10

Surfer - Jackie Collins - This was really, really good. I've heard of MSP, but I don't think I've ever listened to a song knowing they were the artists. Enjoyed this! 7.5/10

Six - Friend of the Night - Thoroughly enjoyed this, Six. Just can't beat beautiful piano. 7/10

JohnErle - Shattered Cross - I liked this, but probably not enough to listen to it repeatedly. 6.5/10

Geezer - Drink Till We're Gone - Not bad at all. Singer's got more than a touch of Layne Staley in him. 6/10

Transformers - Renegade '86 - Not for me. 5.5/10

Leestu - Done - Didn't grab me, but I like the lead singer's voice. 5.5/10

NSpan - Sleeping Dogs - So I listened. Meh. 5/10

Chien - Moo Gan Dou Gai Pan - Did nothing for me. 5/10

Ron B - Covered in Chrome - See above. 5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#55 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... SZAVQRBUFg

Missing: Tony Leung / Andy Lau, Moo Gaan Dou & Pillow Fight, Sleeping Dogs - add 'em if you've got 'em

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

58 Mystery Crate

Keziah Jones, Afrosurrealismfortheladies (2003)
FL2. Yeah hearing in hindsight i shoulda known it was NSpan, thought Tranny. It a decent song but nothing special. 5/10

My Chemical Romance, Helena (2004)
Who was this again (looks up results) I think i guessed Geezer. Its ok but i like Black Parade alot more. 5.5/10

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin (2007)
FL. I didn't really like this, but didnt dislike it. Think i said John. 4.5/10

Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks (2009)
*Smacks forehead*, shoulda known it was surf. I think this song is great. 8.5/10

Matt and Kim, Daylight (2009)
Did i guess Shyrke? This is def one of those 'ad' songs, but i don't mind it. 6/10

Death Grips, On GP (2012)
FL2. Think i thought six here, its a bit too noisy for me. 3.5/10

Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades (2014)
FL2. I forgot who i guessed, Surf? Its at times very nice, but too slow mostly. 5/10

Royal Teeth, Wild (2014)
FL2. Its so so, forgot who i picked. 4.5/10

Travis Scott feat. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler (2015)
FL. Damn i have a bad memory. This is half decent. 5/10

Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence (2019)
FL. This had to be chien. Think i got one right :)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#57 - Great batch of songs in this round.

The I Love It

RUFUS, Innerbloom - a song so good it appeared in the recent Triple J Hottest 100 songs of the decade poll (voted by listeners) twice...the original version, and the also fantastic What So Not remix for those who need a dancey drop as well, which surprisingly doesn't detract from the song

The Awesome

Ty Segall, Feel - the best song from one of his best albums...I am so glad I got to see him live touring this album...love the falsetto vocals, the overall sound, the solos, the everything...awesome song!

Radiohead, 2 + 2 = 5 - fantastic song...love the way it kicks up to another level just before the 2 min mark...and a great way to open a great album...shows how great Radiohead are when an album this good is only my 5th or 6th favourite of theirs!

The Excellent

Girl Band, Shoulderblades - Well said Six...a difficult and challenging, but important song that made my 100 favourite songs of 2019 list (and the album too)...great video that adds to the meaning of the song too

The Very Good

Ween, Gabrielle - I had forgotten all about this song...good fun...cool solo

The Good

The Dillinger Escape Plan, One of Us is the Killer - first listen...I prefer their kitchen sink...the lounginess reminded me of Faith No More a little bit, which is not a bad thing

The Avett Brothers, I And Love And You - first listen...nice folky, americana, alt-country ;) song...the sort of song that would grow on me with a bit of radio play, but it's not in my usual sphere so probably won't get the chance to

Gorillaz feat. Snoop Dogg and Jamie Principle, Hollywood - first listen...I love Gorillaz early albums but the first single released from this album did not interest me enough to check this album out...this song is slightly better...groovy, trippy, and funky, but maybe too chilled for my Gorillaz taste...honestly it could have done without the Snoop feature too

The Okay

Jem, 24 - first listen - I tried but didn't really get the lyrics on a first listen, which judging by what you said, would probably add appeal to the song...don't like it enough to find out though

Jimmy Eat World, Kill - first listen...I don't know, feels like a "maybe at the time" artist if I had've gotten into them then, whereas now seems a bit dated and a bit too soft emo pop to me...not bad though, just nothing I want to get into

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

The Airborne Toxic Event, Sometime Around Midnight - there is something about this song that just works for me

The Awesome

fun. feat. Janelle Monae, We Are Young - great vocals, difficult song to sing along to but fun to try (I recommend not trying this in company)

The Excellent

Spiritualized, I Didn’t Mean to Hurt You - like you say a very cinematic song...I love the build up to the dramatic second half of the song...an excellent song from an excellent album with about 4 songs I like better than this one (that's how fantastic the album is), including the one that has already been on my list...thrilled to see any song from this album make someone else's list

The Great

Animal Collective, My Girls - this song really grew on me over time, but I think there is many better songs on their earlier albums and some of Panda Bear's solo albums [hmm...that comment sounds familiar ;)]

The Very Good

Spraynard, Applebees Bar - first listen...oh yeah...as soon as this started I could tell I was going to like it...added the album...I've got some songs coming up much later, Geezer, that you might like based on this

British Sea Power, Remember Me - first listen...I'll take some rock 'n' roll Bowie thanks

Hichkas, Ekhetaf - first listen...I have never heard Iranian rap before...that was cool...good quality flow from the rapper

The Good

Deltron 3030, Madness - first listen...huh! the rapper from Gorillaz Clint Eastwood...that was cool...reminded me of De La Soul type hip hop but with more modern production type beats

Between the Buried and Me, White Walls - first listen...I'm not sure which song I liked best...probably the short Tool-like one from 6 mins to 8 1/2 mins, although the piano ballad one at the end was good too :lol:

The Okay

Lady Gaga, Paparazzi - I don't mind the glitchy verses, but that ultra poppy Madonna like chorus is so dull

numbersix wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:50 pm
Dude, I can never get my head around your musical tastes. Sometimes it's so incredible and other times it's so... well... "not for me" :D
:lol: Yep, lots of people say similar things. I don't do it on purpose but I often surprise people (including myself) with my varied musical tastes, and what I do and don't like. I just love music, keep an open mind, and pretty much will give anything a try.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Internal Affairs – Ay, yi, yi! That was terrible, Chien! I get that it reminds you of a movie you like, but hoo-boy! I enjoy some cheesy Bond title songs too but I'd never inflict Thunderball on someone outside of the movie.

Lucero – Stuart Adamson drank 'til he was gone, and the drink was a big part of the reason he's no longer with us. Bad timing on that one today, but I doubt I would have liked it anyway.

Camp Cope – That was kinda awesome, and the bass player reminded me of Bertie from Netflix's Love, which didn't hurt either. It's been added to my playlist. I'm not hearing any folk in there, but I see you're making an effort with The Avett Brothers, so I'll give you a pass on this one. ;-)

Sleeping Dogs – I liked the music but wasn't crazy about the vocals. As always with this kind of song I'd need to hear where the samples came from to see if this adds anything new or if they're just piggybacking on someone else's work. I think I need a shorthand like Ron to indicate that I've added it to my Millennium Music playlist I've been using to review my picks. I'll go with ADDED for now.

M83 – Another song I'd forgotten about. Catchy stuff.

Mogwai – It seems in the realm of things I'd normally enjoy but didn't really grab me. I might give it another shot because certain songs only work in certain moods. ADDED.

Letlive – This may be the first track of yours I made it all the way through. I'm not sure if you'll see that as a good thing or a bad thing. Still not for me, but 20 years ago? Maybe.

The rest were neither here nor there.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Hey, guys. Just checking in. I'm kinda in-over-my-head dealing with work AND a global pandemic. I'm still listening to the music, I just haven't had time to comment. But I wanted y'all to know I'm still alive and kickin'
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Laurent Voulzy, Amélie Colbert (2001)

A few rounds ago, I introduced a song by Alain Souchon. In France, Alain Souchon and Laurent Voulzy are perceived as a duet, even if they actually rarely sing together. But they work as a duet for their respective solo careers. Souchon writes the lyrics, Voulzy composes the music. On this one, Voulzy writes and composes all by himself, a song very close to him. He’s from the French Antilles, and his song is about that ancestry. It tells of an old woman from the Antilles, and the memories of her life in the caribbean islands as she is on the verge of death. The chorus is sung in Creole.

“Listen to the winds of the dusk. You can hear the islands whisper their history. Listen, Amelie is leaving, on an old biguine, so far in her memory.”
The Creole chorus goes “If you love me, don’t hurt me. If you love me, don’t hurt me, just hold me close”

GEEZER

Audioslave, Like A Stone (2002)

What do you get when you cross the best vocalist of the grunge era with the best guitarist of his generation? Well, you get Audioslave, that's what. A rare super-group that actually worked. I listened to so much Audioslave in high school I practically burned out their first two albums on my portable cd player. Though they don't get nearly as much run from me as they once did, this song still stands out among my all time favorites (and they had a couple more that just missed the cut). Cornell's vocal power and Morello's tantalizing riffs were never better than Like A Stone, a brilliant piece of rock and roll.

JOHNERLE

Calexico, Two Silver Trees (2008)

There's no such thing as a bad Calexico song, but they rarely write stuff that grabs you by the throat and says “pick ME for your online list!” Ask me again tomorrow and I might swap this out for Black Heart or a half dozen other songs. At least this one has a video with good sound quality.

LEESTU

You Am I, Damage (2000)

A couple of songs ago I mentioned I am not a fan of love songs – break up songs however are a totally different matter. I fell the emotion of break up songs much more strongly. After a long run of fantastic singles and albums in the ‘90s this is pretty much their last great song. Although they continued to release music, and are still touring every now and again, nothing has been this good since.

NSPAN

The Raveonettes, Ode to LA (2005)

Mixing jangly shoegaze with late '50s-sounding pop noise, this Danish outfit is a bit of an anomaly. But when they gel, it can be perfection. This particular track was something of a theme-song for my stint in Los Angeles a few years back.

RON B

The Wombats, Tokyo (2010)

One day, when i visit Tokyo, i will sing this loud in a karaoke bar. Can't wait!

SCREEN203

Bruno Mars, Locked Out Of Heaven (2012)

Mainly the reason I put this on here was because they played it constantly on the radio back when it was popular. It still hasn't lost its shine, however. The retro beat still resonates with Mars's vocals, moreso than the copies of this song he seems to make nowadays.

SHRYKE

Gotye, Thanks For Your Time (2007)

I owe this one solely to Ron B. It appeared on his Top 100 ATF list a decade ago, and it took no time becoming one of my favorites. The video is weird, the lyrics are rather bizarre – I mean, come on, it’s a song about being put on hold – but the synth hook is what really sells this song. Thanks, Ron!

SIX

Swans, Oxygen (2014)

Swans have had one of the best reunions of any act ever. After a break of about a decade they returned in 2010 to release 4 albums with a new sound, a sort of doomy blues, often through long drone-like tracks that build and build. This is my favourite track, with its sense of unhinged genius growing and growing until Michael Gira screams out. It’s terrifying and brilliant to witness live.

SURFER

Bright Eyes, The First Day Of My Life (2005)

Conor Oberst is a phenomenon. His ability to craft his poetry with such raw emotion at times is startling. It feels like you are reading from his personal diary, punctuated only by the vibratto screams and yelps of emotion flooding from the pages. To take his style and adapt it to Americana seems almost fitting, as on I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, Oberst weaves the personal and political more fluidly than most singers could even attempt to try. It's centre piece is The First Day Of My Life, in which he chronicles the aftermath of a relationship. Expecting the worst on leaving the house for the first time, only to be greeted by sunshine and reaffirmation of the beauty of existence, it's a life affirming song and full emotion, and one which brings a smile to my face upon each listen.

TRANSFORMERS

Run the Jewels, Sea Legs (2013)

This cut from RTJ's unforgettable debut is a god damn anthem that will probably be the closest they ever come to writing an uplifting track.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer - Like a Stone - Damn, this song gets me every time. That's why it's on my list, and still a few threads away. Brilliant song, brilliant voice, brilliant choice. My fourth crossover (with at least three more to come that I know of.) 10/10

Chien - Amélie Colbert - Figures you'd like any song with the word "Amelie" in it. This was pretty good, and I liked it more than any of your non-English picks so far. I like the combination of piano and horns, blending together in a kind of jazzy reggae song. I bet Sting would love this (if he doesn't already.) 7/10

JohnErle - Two Sliver Trees - This was cool. Melodically, it reminded me very much of Patti Smith's "Dancing Barefoot", which is my favorite of her songs. 7/10

Ron B - Tokyo - I want video of you doing karaoke! 7/10

Leestu - Damage - This was okay. Made me think of Oasis for some reason... which is not a deal breaker by any means, don't get me wrong. 6/10

NSpan - Ode to LA - Is the band's name a take on the Ronettes? Because this sounds a lot like them (esp. "Be My Baby"). Didn't really hear much shoegaze, but it's a cool throwback. Could have been on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. 6/10

Screen203 - Locked Out of Heaven - I've got nothing against Bruno, but he doesn't really float my boat. This song's pretty good, but not something I seek out. 6/10

Tranny - Sea Legs - Like the clever lyrics. Didn't hate this as much as I thought I would. 5.5/10

Surfer - The First Day of My Life - Very pleasant, serene even. Didn't do much else for me beyond that. 5/10

Six - Oxygen - Well, there had to be one in the bunch. I couldn't even get through this, and I've gotten through almost everything you guys have thrown at me. 3/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Not sure what to make of this. When it breaks out it gets kind of interesting.
Geez: It's weird how supergroups rarely work. I've never considered Audioslave to be that great. They just are nothing compared to RATM or Soundgarden. This song has great vocals, but the music is a little meh, considering the rhythm section involved.
JohnE: Very well said. I like almost all of Calexico's stuff. Including this song.
Leets: Didn't grab me at all. Very end-of-era Brit-poppy
NSpan: It was fun, but it reminds me so much of 50s and 60s music that I'd rather just listen to that.
Ron B: The music is admittedly infectious, but the vocals and lyrics turn me off.
Screen: I think we all know this song. I keep thinking of The Police during the verses.
Shryke: His name sounds like an STI. "Are you okay, hun?" "Nah, just been to the docs, and he said I got Goyte" "Oh, shit". Anyway, I funnily related to this song more than most love or breakup songs. It was odd, a sort of novelty, sort of amusing too.
Surf: Like Calexico, I like almost everything by Oberst, and love virtually nothing. This was excellent, though. Sweet video.
Tranny: I actually don't have RTJ1. Gotta change that. Did you hear their new track? It's pretty awesome.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Violent Soho, Covered in Chrome - HELL FUCK YEAH...when those first yeah, yeah, yeah, yeahs' came in with probably over 10 000 people singing along at Falls Festival it was a moment I'll never forget

The Excellent

Lucero, Drink Til We're Gone - Possibly my favourite on the album...love his voice on this song...it would be cool to sing along to this liveme

Mogwai, Friend of the Night - first listen...although it sounded familiar, but a lot of post-rock does to me...doesn't matter though because this was a beautiful piece of music to lose myself into

The Great

letlive, Renegade '86 - first listen...oh man this went down so well right now on a TGIF during self isolation with the family after a few beers...I needed this

M83, Midnight City - I remember listening to this loud while driving down a country road late at night and just losing myself in the music...great album too

Manic Street Preachers, Jackie Collins Existential Question Time - first listen...really liked this, more than most songs of theirs I've heard, but it weas too short, just when he started to get into it, it ended :(

The Very Good

Pillow Fight, Sleeping Dogs - first listen, cool smokey, sultry vibe...I enjoyed this

The Good

Tony Leung / Andy Lau, Moo Gaan Dou - I would say first listen but I've seen Infernal Affairs, so first listen as an individual piece of music...and it's not that bad...a nice piece of music that builds well, and has that distinctive Asian vibe ( C pop, J pop K pop, whatever) that is a bit cheesy but in a good way

The Okay

The Raphaels, Shattered Cross - first listen...interesting mix but not sure it does more than just be interesting

The Rest

Imagine Dragons, On Top of the World - too fake Disney happy for me

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

Swans, Oxygen - such a powerful song from a powerful album

Bright Eyes, The First Day Of My Life - easily my second favourite song from the album...such a sweet song...did you hear they jsut released their first new song in nine years (it's pretty good - but not up to this standard obviously)

The Great

Audioslave, Like A Stone - I didn't realise this was from this millennium, I remember it as a '90s song...it's great but I'll take a Soundgarden song over this any day

The Very Good

Calexico, Two Silver Trees - very nice

The Raveonettes, Ode to LA - I think I've heard this before...definitely has that Phil Spector Ronettes wall of sound vibe to it

Run the Jewels, Sea Legs - first listen...I really need to get around to listening to their albums...I've never heard a bad song from them

The Okay

Gotye, Thanks For Your Time - I hope there is more Gotye to come because he is actually a really interesting artist with a few great songs, of which this isn't one of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Wombats, Tokyo - I loved their quirky debut album...not so keen on when they went as synth poppy as this song and album...they've never been the same since...although I don't mind his latest solo work as Love, Fame Tragedy which has less pop and better song writing

Laurent Voulzy, Amélie Colbert - first listen...I didn't get much out of this personally...preferred the Alain Souchon song

The Meh

Bruno Mars, Locked Out Of Heaven - first listen...nothing for me here

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 58 thoughts

Chien, Silvia Perez Cruz - There are some variations on the original I enjoy, this wasn't really one of them, though, unfortunately.

Geezer, Matt and Kim - instantly knew this was you after some of your previous countdowns. Lots of fun, really good vibe to it.

JohnErle, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC have been sporadically good after their first couple of records, this is one of those moments. There's a really cool 70s vibe to it all and a killer chorus.

Leestu, Death Grips - I was sure this was Tranny, so much so it screwed up the rest of my guesses
Never mind, I don't mind a little of this band but never been able to get through an entire record of theirs. This is good though, kept surprising me with the direction it would take.

Nspan, Keziah Jones - This has literally been one of my favourite finds from this countdown, I must have listened to it at least a dozen times already. Such a great vibe and beat to it all.

Ron, The Arcade Fire - Really good song from a surprisingly good album. I wasn't sure I would like the direction the band took on this record, but it quickly became one of my favourites from the year. Still prefer the first three albums, but it was great to see them experiment with their sound a little more and the result still be so infectious.

Screen, Travis Scott - Really not my thing.

Shryke, Royal Teeth - Very radio friendly pop music, it had my 7 year old humming along, but otherwise not really my thing.

Six, Angel Olsen - Not surprised a few of you went for me with this one, I was very, very close to including it in my own list. Definitely one of my favourites from Burn Your Fire, and it is stunning to hear it performed live.

Tranny, My Chemical Romance - I probably shouldn't like this band, but I gotta admit I have a kind of affection to this record. It's pompous and overblown, and I'm not really a fan of Gerard Way's vocal delivery, but there is enough to keep me interested.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 57 thoughts

Chien, Radiohead - I remember this record being released and the desperate critics hailing this as the return to guitar roots for Radiohead, as if Kid A and Amnseiac were some mod career mistakes which the band had seen better to dispose of and get back to making another OK Computer of The Bends. Obviously that was not the case, and while a few more guitars did pop up in this record, overall this probably sits fairly well down in the bottom section of my favourite albums of theirs. This song is one of the better parts of the record, and it does really kick off at the climax, but ultimately I have found myself enjoying far more of their electronic work over the past couple of decades than this.

Geezer, Jimmy Eat World - Zoning out is probably the correct word, but with a different meaning, for my feelings on this record. JEW definitely made their best music during the 90s, and while this was probably the last record they made before going full soft emo, it's a massive drop in quality from anything on Clarity, Static Prevails or even Bleed American.

JohnErle, The Avett Brothers - I enjoy some country, as evident with my recent Waxahatchee and Bright Eyes songs, and The Band have a couple of fantastic records. Not really familiar with The Avett Brothers, but nothing really stood out for me with this listen, although I can hear why you did reference The Band.

Leestu, The Wombats - Yeah, really not into this kind of indie, could be The Kooks or anyone else from that clutch of indie pop bands of the mid 2000s.

Nspan, Ween - I should probably listen to a little more Ween, as really enjoyed this. Obviously the Thin Lizzy comparisons are unmissable, but it didn't affect my enjoyment at all.

Ron, Rufus Du Sol - Decent enough, a nice laid back vibe to it that I would happily listen to while doing some work.

Screen, Jem - For some reason I get an Evanescence vibe to this other than the strings. Wasn't bad, but probably wouldn't listen to it intently again.

Shryke, Gorillaz - I can take most of Gorillaz, some of their earlier stuff is OK, but since Dare I haven't really paid any attention to their stuff. This didn't really appeal.

Six, Girl Band - Took me a while to be properly sold on this band, such was the intensity of it all, but the album this is taken from really caught my attention as they experimented a little more with their sound. This is one of the highlights of the record, though I personally prefer Going Norway.

Tranny, The Dillinger Escape Plan - I do love the name of this band, other than that, not for me.