Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#61

Post by Shrykespeare »

One month into our countdown. Ten days ago, we had just grown from eleven to twelve participants. As of tonight, Ron Burgundy joins us, bringing our total to FIFTEEN. Wonder how many we'll have by the time we reach #50?

SONG #70

Shrykespeare
Talk Talk, “Life’s What You Make It”
(1985)

If there’s any male vocalist whose tones are as silky smooth as those of Bryan Ferry, it’s Mark Hollis of Talk Talk. A vastly underrated 80’s group, chiefly known as a one-hit wonder for their song “It’s My Life” (a tremendous song, which barely missed my list), this song just floors me with how well all the elements mesh together: the bass notes of the piano, the synthesizer, Hollis’s awesome voice… it all flows like a river. The first of two songs by this group, and the second will be a long time in coming. (Didn’t even know there was an actual video for this song until I composed my list… a little weird for me. Mark’s got his Lennon on, and as for the woodland creatures… not sure why they’re there. Maybe you’d be better off doing what NSpan suggests for his video; just listen and don’t watch.)

NSpan
The Breeders, "Drivin' On 9"
(1993)

You can hear the original here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuiDpuUUh4 Another rare instance where the cover improves upon the original in every way--which is strange in this case because ALL of the elements of the cover exist in the original. But it's as if this song was written for Kim Deal. I love The Breeders (and, yes, meeting the Deal sisters after a show was a big thing to me), so I find it funny (and kinda strange) that my favorite song of theirs isn't even technically theirs. But, between Kim's understated vocals and the bit o' twang they throw into the mix, I find this track irresistible. Sorry about the fan-made video. They picked good movie clips, but the vibe is all wrong--so I recommend just listening and not watching.

Numbersix
Pigbag, “Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag”
(1981)

A lesser known UK band of the early 80’s, yet with connections to more influential acts, Pigbag were one of the many bands from the era who discovered the beats of world music and attempted to incorporate it into their sound. Amongst the intentionally discordant sax and groovy bass-line, there’s African and South-American drum rhythms working to make this an alternative anthem. I still laugh at the idea that this song became the theme-tune for UK football team QPR.

(Moderator’s Note: Six, the link you sent me was completely wrong… it was like to a news video or something. So I had to replace it.)

Geezer
Guns N Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine"

The absolute peak of GnR. The reason why you can't have a discussion of greatest guitarists without mentioning Slash. Axl is at his very best too, but its the guitar intro and solo that makes this song as great as it is and will live on forever.

becs
System of a Down, “Toxicity”

I love SoaD's entire catalog of songs, as well as Serj's solo work, but this song stands out to me, because it really has an awesome graded approach. It starts with a slow pretty intro, melodic verses, and then bursts through your speakers at the chorus really showing their hardcore side. It’s got a great balance.

undeadmonkey
Kelly Clarkson, “Behind These Hazel Eyes”

I'm sure many of you will hate, just for the fact that she was the first American Idol winner, but damn she can sing. I love her voice and her music, whether it's “mass produced”, as some would say, and to top it all off I have a slight crush on her as well.

leestu
Ryuichi Sakamoto, “Merry Christmas Mr, Lawrence”
(1983)

A beautiful piece of music that is somehow sad and uplifting at the same time. The theme tune to the movie. There is also a version with vocals by David Sylvian, which I have listened to quite a bit, but I think the song works better without them.

Buscemi
2Pac, “Changes”

A posthumous hit for Tupac Shakur (who was murdered in 1996), he samples the 1986 song “The Way It Is”, removes its corny vocals and mixed messages and creates a tough and powerful song about trying to leave "The Life" and making things within yourself and around you better. Sadly, Tupac never got to do this but we will always remember him through his music and movies.

silversurfer
Liam Frost and The Slowdown Family, “The Mourners Of St. Paul's”

Fusing a traditional folk with his post-punk and pop sensibilities, Liam Frost has been compared to his international contemporaries Bright Eyes and Arcade Fire. Though accurate in a sense, Frost is talented enough to stand out in his own right, and this song is, in my opinion, expresses the pinnacle of his abilities. A truly stunning effort, his orchestral arrangement is a beautiful complement to his husky voice with a rousing finale complete with full choral singalong.

(Moderator’s note: had to choose a different version, surfer, the one you sent me was blocked.)

transformers
Disturbed, “Voices”

My favorite Disturbed track. It is a track that kicks a whole lot of ass. It also holds great nostalgia value for me.

W
Stealer's Wheel, “Stuck in the Middle”

For unknown reasons, this song is my favorite use of a song in any film (Reservoir Dogs). I just love that scene.

Banks
Kanye West, “Robocop”

The first of seven (!) Kanye songs on my list; I know he comes off like a dick publicly to many people, including me, but I think his music is fantastic. This is one of his songs of his unplanned album, 808’s & Heartbreaks, which he made after breaking up with his fiancée. It’s mostly sort of a concept album, since every song is in some way about the girl. ‘Robocop’ is about how controlling she was at one point in the relationship, policing the situation like….well, like Robocop.

englishozzy
Status Quo, “Whatever You Want”

One of my Dad's favourite bands, we would have this song cranking in the car wherever we went, and I think I knew the words to this song before I could even walk. One of my favourite guitar intros to a song, ever.

BarcaRulz
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, “Falling Slowly”

It's rare to find a single song that affects a film’s direction as much as this one does. The words are brilliant, and more importantly; relevant. I loved it the first time I heard it, and it was the reason I decided to watch Once as I heard it before watching the film.

Ron Burgundy
Gorillaz feat. Lou Reed, “Some Kind of Nature”

It’s only been out for a little while, but it’s a hit with me.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#61

Post by Buscemi »

And here comes Kanye to interrupt the list.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

All I know about Kanye West is that he had a song on "The Hangover," completely destroyed a Ray Charles song, and will attack you if you mention fish sticks in his presence...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

He also loves cognac. He's the one that's always taking a swig of it from Edgar Allan Poe's grave.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

(another late night... but here we go)

Shrykespeare -- Talk Talk, “Life’s What You Make It” (1985)
NSpan -- The Breeders, "Drivin' On 9" (1993)
Numbersix -- Pigbag, “Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag” (1981)
Geezer -- Guns N Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine"
becs -- System of a Down, “Toxicity”
undeadmonkey -- Kelly Clarkson, “Behind These Hazel Eyes”
leestu -- Ryuichi Sakamoto, “Merry Christmas Mr, Lawrence” (1983)
Buscemi -- 2Pac, “Changes”
silversurfer -- Liam Frost and The Slowdown Family, “The Mourners Of St. Paul's”
transformers -- Disturbed, “Voices”
W -- Stealer's Wheel, “Stuck in the Middle”
Banks -- Kanye West, “Robocop”
englishozzy -- Status Quo, “Whatever You Want”
BarcaRulz -- Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, “Falling Slowly”
Ron Burgundy -- Gorillaz feat. Lou Reed, “Some Kind of Nature”
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

haha, i loved your comment, i thumbsed up ( thumbs uped :? ) it. As for the song, i can get behind what he sings, life is definitely what you make, i just didnt like the music so much, and yea the bugs were weird

i enjoyed it, good voice and fun music

hah, It sounded like it should of been an 80s action television show theme song, i liked it though

was ok, liked the music better than the singing though

not something i would have on my ipod but it was pretty darn decent

did someone else have this on their list?

silversurfer -- Liam Frost and The Slowdown Family, “The Mourners Of St. Paul's”
it was really really good, i liked it, the only downer was his emo hair kept bugging me ;)

it was so... angry

i've never seen reservoir dogs. song isnt too bad

interesting, was wondering if he would make anybodys list. (wonder if it'll make six rant ;) ) anyways, i dont like this song, 808s is my favorite kanye album and their definitely better songs, Street Lights and Heartless were my favorite, although they didnt make my list

i've heard this song before, but cant for the life of me think of where.

yes beautiful song, i couldnt so much get into the movie, but this song is great

not being a gorillaz fan, this wasnt bad.

Nspan and Barca where my favorites this round. Ron's Gorillaz pick was the biggest surprise i really didnt think i would like it, but i did

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Believe it or not, Grand Theft Auto (a game I never even played), got me into this song--that series has one hell of a running soundtrack. It goes against everything I know and believe, but I kinda like it. Why isn't it from The Lost Boys??

Ha! I actually kinda dig it. Sounds like King Crimson on their day off. Marked and saved for later review.

Solid song. Personally, I prefer "My Michelle" or "Civil War". But, hell, any band willing to cover both T-Rex and Soundgarden in one take gets my vote.

I HAVE heard a Serj track (or two) that I like--I believe it was a collaboration with Buckethead. Beyond that, I think that guy is borderline worthless.

No...

Beat Takeshi AND David Bowie?? Makes me wanna watch the movie--but not necessarily hear the song (on its own) again...

I wish he had the chance to write his own music for this song.... but I guess that's just the way it is.

I'll chalk this one up to your Kiwi sensibilities. I hear you guys are like less-manly versions of Aussies anyway.

Shit vocals and lyrics ruined it for me. Sorry, bud.

I won't pretend to have been intimately familiar with the song prior to seeing the movie. And, yes, I do still connect it to the film in my mind. Nonetheless, I think it's a great (and FUN) song. This video contains a slightly different version from what I'm used to, but when this first came out, EVERYBODY thought it was Dylan's new single. Deservedly so.

Come on...

It's not that I hate the song. But, you need to know, your dad was a borderline-yuppie. Fortunately, for him, there's good news. Yuppies don't have to die. You only need kill the "Head" yuppie--and the rest will revert to their normal ways. Who is the Head Yuppie, you ask? I can't help you there. But killing Shryke might be a start. ;)

Well, thank goodness it wasn't sung by Zooey Deschanel... Not a bad song, actually... I can't help but feel like there are one or two unnecessary indulgences taken, know what I mean?... Could've been trimmed here and there--maybe a great two-minuter?

Ron Burgundy -- Gorillaz feat. Lou Reed, “Some Kind of Nature”[/quote]
I think Lou Reed is a rock'n'roll golden-god... I'm torn about this song... It's clearly not a mockery... but I'm doubtful whether its worthy of his inclusion... I'm sure, after a few listens, I'll be into it--but Lou Reed (one of the most authentic and genuine voices in rock) perhaps did not get his proper due in this muzakish sounding song...
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Criterion's at work on a Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence DVD. It's planned to be two discs and packed with extras.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

NSpan wrote: leestu -- Ryuichi Sakamoto, “Merry Christmas Mr, Lawrence” (1983)
Beat Takeshi AND David Bowie?? Makes me wanna watch the movie--but not necessarily hear the song (on its own) again......
Do so if you get the chance. I think it's a great under-rated movie. Don't let the fact that I am a huge unabashed Bowie fan (I even liked Absolute Beginners) get in the way. I would still recommend this movie to anyone. Coincidentally as I am typing this "Sorrow" from Bowie just started playing on the radio.
NSpan wrote: silversurfer -- Liam Frost and The Slowdown Family, “The Mourners Of St. Paul's”
I'll chalk this one up to your Kiwi sensibilities. I hear you guys are like less-manly versions of Aussies anyway.
:lol: Kiwis yes. But I would advise against saying this to any Maoris. Remember Once Were Warriors?

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I remember seeing a cd of theirs a while ago and at a glance thinking it was a misprint of the Psychedelic Furs album Talk Talk. Obviously I realised pretty soon after that they were a band in their own right, but have never heard any of their stuff. This was absolutely brilliant, I want to hear more. Any suggestions for a starting point?

Like with Frank Black's material, I have never gotten round to seeking out Deal's side project stuff, though I have heard a couple of songs. This was cute, though didn't really entice me to look into more of them yet.

Couldn't really take it seriously, I'm afraid. You really prefer this over some of your previous picks? I can't think of anything endearing about it. Ok they are willing to expand their mindset and use world music, but I don't think its been put to particularly good use. Maybe it's because I can only associate it with sports, but it is completely uniteresting for me.

Not their best song at all, that'd be Welcome To The Jungle. This is just totally self indulgent and I cannot stand it. Ever. The only song off the top of my head I hate more than this GNR song is November Rain, another of their forray's which veer a little too far into indulgence.

I remember for a while I was completely obsessed with this band and their first couple of albums. I used to play them on continuous repeat for days. This was one of my favourites, though I think I always preferred Chop Suey and Sugar a little more. Along with my previous pick At The Drive-In, I think these guys shook the rock world up for a little while, and that was a good thing. Don't listen to them much anymore, guess I moved on from this sound.

As it's the day after your birthday I'll be nice. ....That is all

In all honesty this just sounds awful, it is obvious this was recorded in the light of day following Avril Lavigne success in the rock ballad arena and the guys who write her songs thought it would be a successful idea to follow suit. I'm sure it worked but her warblings will get no sympathy from me.

I feel like I've heard this in many places before, and it is pleasant enough without ever really stirring any real emotions in me, I'm afraid.

As a non-fan of the genre, this was ok. He complemented the original and it was listenable. Which is pretty good in my book. And for once their is no talk of guns and ho's!

Considering your recent choices which have showcased some more complex arrangements, this back to basic metal choice was a bit of a letdown. Didn't stand out at all.

I like this one, always puts me in a good mood when I hear it. Don't know if you know but Josh Homme's band Eagles Of Death Metal did a decent cover of it, retitled Stuck In The Metal! check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SytmdoO_PvM

I appreciate some of the compositions Kanye has arranged over his time, and he did kind of redefine how hip hop could sound in the early 2000s, but this isn't one of those up to the standard as far as I'm concerned. Maybe some of the other six will hit the mark.

This is a joke, right? I remember this was used as a jingle for a well known UK shopping outlet a few years ago, and I can't disassociate it from that now. Plus this band kind of remind me of a sketch used in The League Of Gentlemen, emphasising how sad dad rock bands are seen nowadays! check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBCnEh1zOGg

I hadn't really heard much of The Frames before I watched this film, but this song was totally immersing, a beautiful piece of music which really connects with the movie and you kind of want it to continue that little bit longer. I need to get out and pick up an album of theirs some day.

This is the first time I've heard this song, and wow that was cool. Lou's voice works really well with the Gorillaz sound, which beats away very nicely.

Some ups and downs in this round, but favourites would probably be Shryke and Barca.
it was really really good, i liked it, the only downer was his emo hair kept bugging me
He has had it cut since, so it's all good now.
We're more like macho girls. Except the Maori's stay well away from them. Some of them have a tendency to put you in a washing machine and then hang you out to dry by your ears. The poor sods took it the wrong way when they were told they were being taken to the cleaners....

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i must disagree, (respectfully of course), she does not sound like avril lavigne at all :cry:

if you'll give her another chance, i can prove it :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCalNw4wSjs

love this song, but didnt make my list.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I didn't mean to suggest that she warbles like Avril Lavigne, its more Mariah (I don't know if that is worse though...). I more intended to suggest that whoever wrote the music obviously saw the potential for rock ballads following Lavigne's success and sought to pounce on it.

And the other track didn't help, it was just kind of dour with very little real emotion there for me, I'm afraid.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Holy Sheeeiittt, now there 15 songs a day to listen to. I'm literaly going to have to get up earlier in the mornings so I an listen to this.

Shrykespeare -- Talk Talk, “Life’s What You Make It” (1985) - Talk Talk are a mixed bag for me, they can make some beautiful music, and even the occasional good pop song (It's My Life), but a lot of their stuff was boring. This song kind of sits in the middle, the music being a little underwhelming but the vocals as powerful as ever.

NSpan -- The Breeders, "Drivin' On 9" (1993) - Never heard this before. Is this from The Last Splash? I really liked it... until I listened to the original and preferred it even more. You shot yourself in the foot, there, NSpan.

Numbersix -- Pigbag, “Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag” (1981) - Sorry about the link, Shryke, don't know what happened there (I acidentally linked you to an early 90s documentary in which a guy picked up rogue satellite signals from TV networks and recorded what people were saying into the mics before and after broadcasts). Anyway, it's a shame because I wanted to post the 3-minute version of this song, as the longer one is too long. SS, I think it's the sport connection that's affecting your opinion of this song. I mean, this was one of the biggest post-punk songs in the UK. If you like The Rapture or !!! surely you can't deny the influence songs like this have on them.

Geezer -- Guns N Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine" - I think GnR are just a parody of a rock band. Can't take their music seriously. Even November Rain, which is a good song, has been ruined by their silly antics and attitude.

becs -- System of a Down, “Toxicity” - I went into this expecting to hate it, as I generally don't like SoaD. But, I will say that I really like the guitar throughout the song.

undeadmonkey -- Kelly Clarkson, “Behind These Hazel Eyes” - Oh dear. Another manufactured pop artists churning out another bland, manufactured pop song. The best thing I can say about this is that I've already forgotten it.

leestu -- Ryuichi Sakamoto, “Merry Christmas Mr, Lawrence” (1983) - What a beautiful song. It's a little 80's in its (over)production, but I can get past that and I really adore it. I think I prefer the vocals though (Isn't it called Forbidden Colours?)

Buscemi -- 2Pac, “Changes” - Well, at least he's rapping about something different. I suppose when you're busted for rape you're bound to feel a little regreat.

silversurfer -- Liam Frost and The Slowdown Family, “The Mourners Of St. Paul's” - Sorry buddy, I didn't like this at all. The first half just sounded like a dull acoustic pop song. And then the rest just sounded like a poor Arcade Fire tribute band. Hell, Liam Frost even styles his hair and dresses like he's in the Arcade Fire.

transformers -- Disturbed, “Voices” - The music was kinda okay, but the vocals and the awful lyrics pushed me away.

W -- Stealer's Wheel, “Stuck in the Middle” - another song I can never listen to in its own right. It's part of a movie, and forever so, and without seeing Mr Blonde hacking away at that ear, the song has very little meaning.

Banks -- Kanye West, “Robocop” - I respect Kanye. When he's not being a complete nut-job and embarrassing himself, he's one of the most innovative pop artists around. Love Lockdown is a great song, for example. But this? IT was okay, but the strings got on my nerves.

englishozzy -- Status Quo, “Whatever You Want” - Another band I can't take seriously. They're just safe dad-rock to me. There's no edge, nothing to draw me in or make me care. They're like the Enya of rock music.

BarcaRulz -- Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, “Falling Slowly” - Glen is a big pervert. Did you know they got together when he was in his late 30's and she was 19. And the worst thing is that he had known her for 5 years perviously. I can just imagine his big head leering at a little teen until it was time. Anyway, besides that it's a nice song. I've known Glen's band, The Frames, since the mid 90's when they had an alt-rock hit called Revelate, and in those few years they made some great dEUS-inspired records. I don' like this song as much, but I can see the appeal. Plus, I'm delighted he won an Oscar. I'm actually going to be taking location photos of the music shop that song was filmed in next week. I'll tell them you said hi. EDIT: I was just told that the shop has banned people from playing the song there. It's the new Stairway!

Ron Burgundy -- Gorillaz feat. Lou Reed, “Some Kind of Nature” - Never heard this, is it off their new record? Lou just sounds like he's falling asleep, and the music is a bit repetitive but it wasn't bad overall.

And a preview of my reaminaing songs:

A 1999 single from a UK electro group featuring a then up-and-coming hip-hop artist
A 1995 ballad from an alternative indie act who feature a lot on Cameron Crowe's movies
A 1992 song from an experimental industrial jazz songwriter
A 1983 song from a popular art-pop group that already features on this list.
A 1980 album cut from a post-punk group
A 1979 album cut from a different post-punk group
A 1978 rock anthem by a female punk-rock artist
A 1975 hit from one of the most popular singer-songwriters (although he ain't getting much love here)
A 1959 doo-wop hit

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Eh, not really into but It did remind me of GTA.
I surprisngly dug it. Really didn't think I would because I hate The Breeders.
What Nspan Said...
There you go! Great pick. Such a great track.
Another great choice. I got a couple of SOAD songs coming up myself
Just no...
Really didn't like it.
The single best rap song of all time. It is very,very high on my list (sorry for the spoiler)
Wasn't into it.
Makes me want to watch Reservoir Dogs again.
Kanye West is one of the artists that is killing rap. Another shit track from him.
Wasn't into it.
I really,really didn't like it sorry.
Hated it. Sorry.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

It twas OK, couldn't really get into it as much as i would of liked though.
Not a song for me.
It's not that I hate the song. But, you need to know, your dad was a borderline-yuppie. Fortunately, for him, there's good news. Yuppies don't have to die. You only need kill the "Head" yuppie--and the rest will revert to their normal ways. Who is the Head Yuppie, you ask? I can't help you there. But killing Shryke might be a start.
Always suspected my Dad to be a bit wierd :s but you might want to educate me on what a 'yuppie' is??
It had something going for it, but that something didn't do it for me :s
Stole my thunder, classic song from a classic band. Slash is at his awsomest?? best :)
Another band i have a lot of respect for, a very political band (makes me wanna donate money to the Armenians) but they mix their powerful lyrics with some good music.
Never been a fan of this chick sorry.
Nothing really doing it for me on this song.
Not normally into this sort of music but twas a pretty good song.
Hey not bad :) might look more into this :)
Good song :) Distubed is normally a bit of hit-and-miss for me as some of there songs kinda sound alike :s
Heard this song before, liked it :)
Not a fan.
Bit slow for me, it twas OK though went on a bit too long :s
Haven't heard that one yet and not bad :)
"Then telephone for an axe"