Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #70-61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #70-61

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, shit, maybe I've been wrong all this time. I distinctly remember the lyrics to Geek Stink Breath, and I would bet actual money it was about meth.

I'm on a roll
No self control
I'm blowing off steam with methamphetamine
Don't know what I want
That's all that I've got
And I'm picking scabs off my face

In YO FACE!!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer - Don't Take Me For Granted - Nobody has a voice like Mike Fucking Ness. Nobody. This was freaking awesome. 8/10

Ron B - Nosebleed Section - Hip-hop FLUTE? That's gotta be a first. Enjoyed it. 7.5/10

NSpan - Wounded Horse - I LOVE XTC, expecially their 80s and 90s stuff. Wasn't familiar with this track, but Andy Partridge is so good at delivering those quirky lyrics, I enjoyed it immediately. 7.5/10

Leestu - Don’t Look At The Sun Or You’ll Go Blind - I quite enjoyed this. Great version. 7/10

Six - Radio Cure - Got a real strong Radiohead vibe from this. Made me recall some of my favorites of their songs where Thom Yorke was less screechy. 6.5/10

JohnErle - Fake Tales of San Francisco - Good, but nothing I'll want to revisit. 6/10

Screen203 - Me and U - You just never know what song is going to dig in like an earworm and make you constantly press repeat (Smash Mouth?). We all have songs like that, and it doesn't always matter if the songs are, you know, GOOD. Didn't care for this song much, but thanks for sharing. 5/10

Surfer - Salinas - Sorry. Not a fan of anything with banjo in it. 4.5/10

Tranny - Partying is Such Sweet Sorrow - Lyrics were okay. Didn't care for the rest of it. 4.5/10

Chien - La vie ne vaut rien - Sorry, Chien. I've liked a few of your French songs based on the singer's voice and the music, but I didn't like either this time. 4/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

67 time

Chien: it was kind of nice. But are the lyrics basically saying that life is shit unless you're grabbing some tits? Is this the soundtrack to Weinstein's life?
Geez: Okay punk. I prefer their 80s and 90s stuff.
John: So weirdly I've yet to get into Arctic Monkeys. I should like them. They've good riffs. Good lyrics. And this is a good song. I just need to find that song that makes everything click.
Pond: It's very jammy, but pretty decent
NSpan: Didn't they break up after this? I dunno. I feel there's always this phase where a band go beyond their relvance, and retire to this sort of bluesy rock. That's what this sounds like to me. It's a long way from Making Plans for Nigel (woo-ooo-oo).
Ron B: To address Shryke (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZqHgFz51I). This didn't work for me. Felt a bit slapdash or something. But definitely the best Australian hip-hop I've ever heard ;)
Screen: Neither music nor lyrics worked for me
Shryke: Oh man, I think it's their humour that is the only reason I don't detest them. But then I realise they did the theme for The Big Bang Theory, and anger starts to rise again...
Surf: Not bad. Strarts of sparse and liked the way it builds. Nice!
Tranny: There's a lot in 3 mins here! Some bits I didnt' like, some bits I surprisingly did.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Testing, testing...

Just seeing if this workstation is also blocked or if it shows up as a different IP address.

EDIT: Success!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

With the world going to heck in a handbasket, I'm so glad we decided to do this countdown. I think we can all agree that we need this in our lives right now, given that the sports and movie industries are burying their heads in the sand for the time being. Let's hope our favorite artists, SOMEHOW, find ways to keep making music.

CHIEN

Beirut, Postcards from Italy (2006)

The first time I heard this song, I thought this was a French band singing in English. I was surprised when I learned they were American. There’s something very European, and specifically French in the musicality of that song, I think. I love how it starts off as something simple and quite joyous I think, but the more it goes, the more you feel something growing in it.It’s not just a pretty song, there’s something that stays, a long time. It’s been staying with me for almost 15 years now.

GEEZER

Jeff Rosenstock, Nausea (2015)

I know at least Leestu will appreciate this one. Maybe some of the others will too. The least I can say about Jeff is that he makes very different punk rock, so you better not all say that this sounds "just like every other punk song I have shared!" Honestly he is a breath of fresh air, and every time I listen to his stuff I end up getting more obsessed with it. He's risen so fast to among the handful of artists I consider my favorite. The lyrics on this one have always been particularly close to home for me.

JOHNERLE

Vampire Weekend, M79 (2008)

The fact that someone already highlighted A-Punk made it much easier for me to decide on this awesome deep cut.

No excuse to be so callous
Dress yourself in bleeding madras
Charm your way across the Khyber Pass

LEESTU

Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Gentleman (2010)

A highly influential band in the Australian garage rock/indie punk scene. They released three great albums then moved on to other things, mainly producing other musicians’ albums. I love their twangy, jangly sound, their catchy hooks, and the conversational lyrics and vocal delivery like he’s just talking to you, rather than singing.

I had to use this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2zjDutdHA

NSPAN

Spoon, Everything Hits at Once (2001)

The audio on this video is a bit quiet, and Spoon is best listened to loud anyway... so turn those speakers up!

RON B

Rex Orange County, Loving Is Easy (2017)

This guy is too talented for a 21-year-old. Another song that became an instant favorite and still has the charm of 3 years ago.

SCREEN203

fun. feat. Janelle Monae, We Are Young (2011)

This is one of the few songs that is able to pull off disturbing lyrics behind a upbeat tune. Nate Reuss is a good contender for a modern-day Freddy Mercury, and the change in tune serves the inebriated theme well.

SHRYKE

Peter Gabriel, Growing Up (2003)

I’m sure you’ve all noticed by now that my list is rife with aging artists from the 80s and 90s who still found ways to keep going in the new millennium. Well, get used to it. 😊

For me, Peter Gabriel is the consummate artist. He’s always experimenting, finding ways to merge his distinct, instantly recognizable voice with other styles. When he goes it alone, though, it’s just as good. Plus, the man’s a born showman. His live shows are spectacular, and I’m happy to have seen him in person (though only the one time, back in ’92). I couldn’t possibly leave him off my list, so here’s the first of two songs by this amazing Hall of Famer.

SIX

Solange, Losing You (2012)

I’m not really into pop, and as much as I respect Beyonce I never actively listen to her music. So I had no interest in her little sister. But there’s something intoxicating about this track. Maybe it’s Dev Hynes’s retro production, which to me evokes the melancholy of Springsteen’s Streets of Philadelphia. Whatever it is, I’m in.

SURFER

The Mars Volta, Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus (2005)

I think I mentioned earlier about my discovery of this record. I picked it up while on holiday in New York just after its release, and ended up spending every morning obsessing over its mix of psychedelia and hardcore sound. I was a big fan of At The Drive-in, but had not taken the time to listen to TMVs debut at this point. However, opening with this song, a 13 minute epic masterpiece, I was hooked on the band. The pace begins slowly, before breaking out into a fascinating jam of wild guitars and yelping vocals. This unpredictability continues throughout its run time, leaving you exhilarated and in eager anticipation of what will come next. Not a bad way to let yourself into my life!

TRANSFORMERS

Lana Del Rey, California (2019)

The newest song on my list. Norman Fucking Rockwell! is the record Lana Del Rey has been building up to throughout her career and "California" is the single best representation of the 60's-tinged melancholic aesthetic that has made her one of the most polarizing, fascinating and influential figures in modern music.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: This is a lovely track. It's a shame everything other Beirut track is a variation on this, but this is definitely the best.
Geez: Certainly a different variation on punk. Not bad.
John: This is great. How have they not collaborated with Wes Anderson????
Leetsu: Nicely lo-fi, although didn't quite stick with me.
NSpan: This was really enjoyable.
Ron B: This did not resonate with me at all. Lots of familiar am-radio moments but lots of cliches in music and lyrics.
Screen: I recognise this song, but not sure where. Ads? TVs? Movie trailers? It's quiete anthemic and I didn't know it was Janelle Monae singing. It kinda won me over. A little.
Shryke: I'll try to be nice. It does sound like he's having the same kind of fun in this song that he always had. How's that? ;)
Surf: Oh I'll take your 13-min track and raise you... in a few weeks. I dug it, although I didn't find the last 3 min necessary.
Tranny: Never been a fan. I find her contrived melodrama to be the music equivalent of a soap opera, and the music is usually dull. I know every music critic in the world is against me on this, but so be it.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen203 - We Are Young - Magnificent song. Absolutely adore this. I've got it coming up sometime in the near future. Soooo...that makes three from my list that are on other people's as well (following 50 Cent and MGMT). That's honestly more than I thought I'd get. 10/10

JohnErle - M79 - This was not like any VW song I've heard before. Quite interesting. 7.5/10

NSpan - Everything Hits at Once - This was really good, and I usually don't care for Spoon. 7.5/10

Transformers - California - I like Lana, and I liked this song. I don't find it as compelling as her remake of Sublime's "Doin' Time", but it's still good. 7/10

Ron B - Loving is Easy - Am I the only one who thought those were Claymation representations of Simon & Garfunkel? Song was decent. 6.5/10

Six - Losing You - Didn't even know Beyonce had a little sister! She's talented. Not over the moon about the song, but worth the listen. 6.5/10

Beirut - Postcards from Italy - Ironic, given what sorry shape Italy is in right now. Song was just okay for me. 6/10

Geezer - Nausea - It doesn't sound like every punk song, for sure. I liked the heavier moments much more than the quieter ones. Just don't care for his voice, I guess. 5.5/10

Leestu - Gentleman - Same with Six. Didn't stick with me. 5/10

Surfer - Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus - I waited thirteen minutes for something to latch onto. Never got it. Self-indulgent noise. 4/10

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I dont like the everyday drop of new music, only coz i dont know it all, h8 feeling behind....

CHIEN
Juliette Armanet, L’amour en solitaire (2017)
FL2. Its nice. Just wouldn't vault it above that. 5.5/10

GEEZER
Lucero, My Best Girl (2001)
FL. At first i thought i wouldn't like it, then it went on and i kinda did. 5.5/10

JOHNERLE
Lightning Dust, Diamond (2013)
FL. Yeah, miss JohnHughes too, not bad. 5/10

LEESTU
Thee Oh Sees, Static God (2017)
FL. This band again?! I don't know what to say...Its fast, its vibrant, its got to need another dozen listens at least. 5/10

NSPAN
Phoenix, Napoleon Says (2006)
FL. Actually, i didnt know this song. I'll need a few more listens. 5/10

SCREEN203
Chelsea Wolfe, 16 Psyche (2017)
FL. Do i prefer song i know? Yes. Does that matter? No. Does that satisfy you? 5/10

SHRYKE
Green Day, American Idiot (2011)
Shiet, first song ive heard (before) this round, and ive heard it a thousand times, im not sure what to think.
Must say i liked it when i first heard it. 6.5/10

SIX
Big Thief, Not (2019)
FL. You still haven't told us where u find your music!! This was good. 6.5/10

SURFER
Explosions In The Sky, 'The Birth And Death Of The Day' (2007)
FL. I had this strange feeling while i laid back with headphones on, the headphones were falling off very slowly and the song took off, but somehow it was an amazing feeling. 6/10

TRANSFORMERS
Vince Staples feat. Juicy J, Big Fish (2017)
FL. Not bad. 5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:10 am

SIX
Big Thief, Not (2019)
There's a field near me where I regularly go there with a shovel, dig down a bit, and usually I'll find a critically-approved indie act.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Shall I give everyone the day the catch up?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:12 am
Ron Burgundy wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:10 am

SIX
Big Thief, Not (2019)
There's a field near me where I regularly go there with a shovel, dig down a bit, and usually I'll find a critically-approved indie act.
Interesting. I only knew about the field where they bury the no-longer critically-approved indie acts.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:44 am

Interesting. I only knew about the field where they bury the no-longer critically-approved indie acts.
Ah you must have dug a little deeper

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

That was a weird round. Surfer's pick sounded more like one of Tranny's, his sounded more like one of Shryke's, who posted art-pop closer to what I expect from Six, who is clearly fucking with us by posting teenybopper pop.

I'm not sure if I heard those Gabriel, Beirut, or Spoon tracks back in the day, but I kinda liked them. The only definitely new to me track this round I'm likely to revisit is Gentleman.

As for round 67, there's only so many ways to say meh, so no comment.