Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #80-71

Post by numbersix »

Leestu wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 6:08 am

Car Seat Headrest, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales - Smash Mouth once said this was the best song of 2016, so it must be ;) - this lead to both bands agreeing to cover a song from each other. Smash Mouth covered a Car Seat Headrest song, Something Soon (it's actually a really well done cover), and Car Seat Headrest covered a Smash Mouth song, Fallen Horses.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Fallen Horses is a great song. Now I have to hear CSH's cover!

ETA: I couldn't find Fallen Horses on YouTube. I did find Something Soon, though. Liked it.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Only - Love love LOVE this song. My favorite NIN song since Closer. Would have made my list if we went up to Top 125. GREAT choice! 9/10

Screen203 - Don't Take the Money - This was amazing. Those upbeat 80s-esque synth rhythms are right in my wheelhouse (reminded me of early Thompson Twins, Adam Ant, and Oingo Boingo), and the vocals made me think of my own Capital Cities entry earlier in the countdown. For those of you who like this song and want to check out more, I recommend "I Wanna Get Better" and "Rollercoaster". 8.5/10

Geezer - My Sundown - I like quite a lot of what JEW has put out, but I don't think I've ever REALLY listened to this one until now. It's awesome for all the reasons you said. The melody is innocent, almost childlike. That might be a dealbreaker for some, but definitely not for me. Sometimes the simplest songs are the best. 8/10

Transformers - In the Company of Worms - Wow, what an interesting stew of instrumentation and vocals. Don't think I've heard mariachi brass paired with Satriani-esque shredding like this. It shouldn't work, but it does. 7/10

Six - The Rip - I remember Portishead's song "Sour Times" very well from the 90s, but haven't been exposed to them much since then. It's not the kind of song the screams "Use me to sell something!", that's for sure. What was the ad for? (Curious). Anyway, good tune. 6.5/10

Surfer - Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales - Interesting song. My mind kept thinking that the sound felt like if Beck adopted a style akin to Thomas Dolby's more subdued songs (I know my brain goes to weird places). Liked it. 6/10

JohnErle - L.E.S. Artistes - I've heard this song before, but I had know idea she was black! I swear, it's like hearing Gwen Stefani's voice come out of Venus Williams' mouth! Shattering stereotypes aside, the song was decent. 6/10

Leestu - What Went Down - Didn't really do anything for me. 5/10

NSpan - Same Shit - This stream-of-consciousness beatnik poetry set to music is about as far from white I like as music can get without being country. Didn't like this AT ALL. 1/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 10:43 am

What was the ad for? (Curious).
It's deeply ironic that I can't remember. In fact I can never remember what product most ads are for. Take that, advertising industry!

I googled and it's for some Gucci fragrence.

Don't get me started on good music being used to pawn shit to the masses. Amazon are using ESG. Some other fragrence is using Sonic Youth. Budweiser used Joy Division once. For shame.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hmm. We've got Azealia Banks, and Banks, today. Wonder what our Banks would say to that...

CHIEN

The Cinematic Orchestra, To Build a Home (2007)

I remember I discovered that song in an Australian film starring Charlotte Gainsbourg. I don’t remember the title of the film or am too lazy at the moment to look for it.There’s something beautifully comforting in the musical atmosphere of this song, and in the voice of the singer.

GEEZER

Against Me!, Searching For a Former Clarity (2005)

Lets continue the slow theme for just a minute. Lots of album closers this round. This is a song that is musically about as simple as it gets, but lyrically has a complexity that we wouldn't find out about until many years later. I appreciate it a lot more today than I did the first several times I heard it. Especially after reading Laura Jane Grace's book "Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout." Read it. I promise it will change your life.

JOHNERLE

The Hot Toddies, Wet Dream (2007)

The sound quality could be better, but these ladies are hilarious and adorable. And they get bonus points for that album cover and title.

“I think I read in a magazine how science proved that the universe is someone's erotic dream/ Based on these findings we've concluded that oranges are better than tangerines.”

Can't argue with logic like that.

Also: Photosynthesis, Sugar Daddy

LEESTU

Josh Pyke, Middle Of The Hill (2005)

A sweet nostalgic, childhood/family slice of life story telling from this indie folk singer/songwriter. When this song was released, I was a father of three young sons (aged 4 to 8) and I can’t deny I related to the sentiments, although not the specifics, on a dual level, as a father, and my own childhood memories.

NSPAN

Black Mountain, Tyrants (2008)

One of my favorite bands of the 21st century. Black Mountain is a blend of Sabbath and Rush, metal and psychedelia, loud and quiet. "Tyrants" is a mini-showcase of their full range. If you like this at all, I cannot recommend the full album highly enough. (And if you already own it, may I suggest checking out their sister-bands: Pink Mountaintops, Lightning Dust, and Blood Meridian)

RON B

Coldplay, The Scientist (2002)

A song on heavy rotation during my breakup with my first girlfriend. It stuck with me. Side note, haven't had a girlfriend ever since :(

SCREEN203

AWOLNATION, Sail (2011)

While I have always thought this was brilliant, (the closest thing my generation has to Nine Inch Nails in terms of aggressive, disturbing electronic music) I never understood how this song became such a huge crossover hit. The lyrics are extremely dark and nihilistic in a age dominated by post-Madonna pop (Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc.). The vocals on this really add to the sense of desperation in the lyrics, and the driving synth stands out as well.

SHRYKE

Keane, Somewhere Only We Know (2004)

Some songs touch you on a personal level. When you get to be an old fart like me, nostalgia creeps in when you least expect it. Songs like this, with its wistful lyrics and stellar piano, make me hark back to happier, more youthful times, when the world – and life in general – felt so much simpler. Everyone has a “somewhere” that they remember fondly, whether it’s a geographical location or just a philosophical plane of existence (in NSpan’s case, I’m guessing such a place is easily accessible by whatever goofballs he likes to get hopped up on, lol). Maybe this song will help you remember yours.

SIX

Azealia Banks, 212 (2011)

Oh Ms Banks, you are a bad bitch. I shouldn’t even say I like this song, considering she managed to insult everyone in Ireland after she was kicked off a flight to there. Yet, who can deny how intoxicating her breakout tune is, as she raps like a machine-gun about being so damn great at being bisexual that she’ll take a girl from any guy.

SURFER

Thee Oh Sees, The Dream (2011)

Following up on their most singular offering of psych - punk, 'Castlemania' project from earlier in that same year, 'Carrion Crawler/ The Dream' brought the full band into focus. Adding an additional drummer to the mix, and using the extra element as a foundation for the record alongside the bass, it allowed John Dwyer to really push the boundaries and explore where he could go. This is most profound on the title track, where his guitars weave magic and his vocals move up and down the scale much like Black Francis, always keen to take the higher octave over his female co-singer. It makes for a fascinatingly ambitious song, and one that is a blast live.

TRANSFORMERS

Banks, Gemini Feed (2016)

Palpable, visceral emotion is the centerpiece of Banks' playbook. Here, she gives an unfiltered window into the demise of her relationship with her fiancé while simultaneously delivering a triumphant electropop song with a powerful hook and funky production.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:
You didn't listen to my #77 song Shryke, or are you already fed up with French songs ? ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

76s

Chien: Definitely a song from an ad. Lots of ads. And a lot of reality TV shows. It's hard for me to separate.
Geez: I remember liking Against Me the most out of your array of pop-punk bands when we did the album list. And I feel the same again thanks to songs like these.
John: A bit too cute for bitter ol me, but the lyrics were amusing. And yeah, props for the album title too.
Leetsu: This just didn't really grab my attention. I need more than nostalgic bullet points!
NSpan: I'm not into rock symphonies, but I enjoyed all the parts here, surprisingly.
Ron B and Shryke: I don't like Coldplay, or their little brothers Keane. They can throw together a nice tune on occasion, but I have to confess the boredom almost always kicks in. And I'm a guy who loves ambient electro!
Screen: Another ad song! Like the production and beat, but it doesn't go in any interesting directions.
Surf: Dang, if I had of included this in my Top 100 then this would be a runner for our collective #1. Love the song, and if we did the best albums of the millennium this would be high on my list.
Banks: Felt a bit too much in the realm of manufactured mainstream pop for me, although it did get better in those last 20 seconds at least.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 11:43 am
Shrykespeare wrote:
You didn't listen to my #77 song Shryke, or are you already fed up with French songs ? ;)
#77.

Chien - La Grenade - It was French. Liked it. 6/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 12:29 pm
76s

Banks: Felt a bit too much in the realm of manufactured mainstream pop for me, although it did get better in those last 20 seconds at least.
Who is this Banks person you're referring to? :lol: :lol: :lol:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh. I thought our very own Banks had an operation and became a pop singer adored by Tranny.

My bad...

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

The resemblance between them is uncanny, so your confusion is understandable.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Random Thoughts:

Jimmy Eat World - Who are you and what have you done to Geezer? It was so chill I thought I was listening to Death Cab For Cutie. Worth another listen.

Coldplay and Keane on the same day? This is like seeing Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard in the same room. Does this prove they are, in fact, different bands? Both are fine tunes, both massively overplayed. Especially Coldplay.

Cinematic Orchestra - One advantage to not having a television is that songs are never ruined by ads for me. I considered this one but it was cut during my one-hit-wonder purge.
Budweiser used Joy Division once.
Bud Will Tear Us Apart?

Le Grenade - The 77 avatar Leestu picked for the Spotify playlist reminded me of the ZZ Top logo, and when I saw this song title I thought it was a French cover of La Grange. You can imagine my disappointment.

Car Seat Headrest - You guys keep posting and I keep listening. At this point it's safe to say I'll never be a fan.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#76.

Surfer - The Dream - Wow, twice in as many weeks for this song! Still rocks! 8/10

Ron B - The Scientist - Screw Six. I like Coldplay and their little brothers Keane. This is not my favorite Coldplay song, but it do like it. 7.5/10

Transformers - Gemini Feed - Good little tune. Much prefer this Banks to Six's (though I certainly wouldn't want to piss either lady off). 7/10

Chien - To Build a Home - Really liked this. 6.5/10

Six - 212 - Didn't think I'd like this. I actually didn't mind it so much. Huh. 6/10

NSpan - Tyrants - A tad overlong, but damn, you love that throwback sound, don't'cha? I would have said Jethro Tull more than Sabbath, but it's a great sound regardless. 6/10

JohnErle - Wet Dream - This was bizarrely cute. Cutely bizarre? 6/10

Screen203 - Sail - I've heard this song a few times before. Good song, but nothing I get excited about when it comes on the radio. 5.5/10

Leestu - Middle of the Hill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rzao52ndNA 5.5/10

Geezer - Searching For a Former Clarity - Not bad. Like how it ended. Perfect to close out an album. 5.5/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Thee Oh Sees, The Dream - I'm still surprised this is the first song to appear twice!

The Excellent

Coldplay, The Scientist - it's fun to mock Coldplay but this is an excellent song and one of their very best...the whole first half of this album is great, shame the second half is so dull.

The Great

Against Me!, Searching For a Former Clarity - first listen...really liked this song,the lyrics and feeling of the song shone through, and the music complemented them...I should listen to more of this band than just the three albums I've heard so far

Black Mountain, Tyrants - first listen...yeah I'm a sucker for multi part epic songs like these, and I love that Sabbathy sound. I remember checking out a bit of this band because you featured them in a previous countdown, but it's Pink Mountaintops I really got into, especially their playful Velvet Underground inspired self titled album.

The Good

The Hot Toddies, Wet Dream - first listen...at first I thought this was going to be a bit too twee for me but as the song went on the chunky guitars and bedroom indie feel worked for me...like a lot of sugary sweet things I think I already want to try it again

The Okay

The Cinematic Orchestra, To Build a Home - first listen...there's a bit of piano rock today...it is cinematic like it's name suggests, if a bit subdued

AWOLNATION, Sail - first listen...I haven't heard any of their early work, but weirdly I seem to prefer their later material, which despite (or because of?) the overproduction has some sort of power to it...this does too but to a lesser extent...this was interesting to hear what they sounded like at first

Keane, Somewhere Only We Know - I love it when a song can mean so much to you but this song isn't going to do it for me...it's not that it's a bad song at all, it's just that Keane (especially on the album as a whole) takes all the sellable, radio friendly bits of Coldplay, Muse, and Radiohead but without any of the innovation, and experimentation that makes them special.

The Meh

Banks, Gemini Feed - I heard this on the radio a lot but my opinion never changed from the first listen...it was just another song that I got to know, but neither like or dislike

Azealia Banks, 212 - first listen..."separate the art from the artist" I kept telling myself throughout the song...but the art wasn't much better...Musically it was interesting enough to not dislike it, but the vocals and lyrics (what little I picked up) I'll pass on