Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #80-71

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:Round 80
Leestu, Thee Oh Sees - Fantastic song. Best song off of their best record. You will get my full thoughts in a couple of days, you bastard for jumping the gun on me! And yeah, quite possibly the best live band on the planet at the moment. Seeing them a couple of years ago with three drummers pummelling their skins was amazing!!
Aw shit man, sorry! :lol: With so many great songs from so many great albums I'm sort of surprised we both chose this one.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Not as good today as yesterday. Not much to say. They are nearly all good but not much more. I also relistened to the #100 songs during the break. That was actually a really decent start, makes a good playlist.

The Very Good

Jay Reatard, My Shadow - first listen...great energy, great dirty garage sound, some good power pop hooks...this album is already on my to listen to list...I should get on to it judging by this

The Good

Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra, Lost - first listen...she usually has interesting lyrics, I enjoyed the music but I want to hear this again for the lyrics

Rise Against, Survive

Flight of the Conchords, Bowie's In Space - love the show, and rewatch it a bit, and I feel that's where the songs work the best...it's not the same without the context...so talented at parodying whatever they choose and this is an impressive example of that

Deftones, Knife Prty - interesting choice, there's a few I prefer over this from White Pony but this is a good one

Interpol, Take You on A Cruise - first listen...It's good but it doesn't engage me immediately, would be interesting to see if future listens changed that..apart from a few songs I never fully got into Interpol, only listened to their debut album

Green Day, Oh Love - huh! did not expect to see anything from Uno, Dos, or Tre...I do like the song enough but it's not a song I would consider one of their highlights

The Okay

Orelsan, Basique - first listen...decent beats and sounds...sounds like the lyrics would be alright from your description Chien

The Greenhornes, The End of the Night - first listen...I liked it, but I forgot it immediately after

The Rest

Kieza, Giant In My Heart - first listen

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm unable to see any of the previously posted videos. Can anyone else see them?

If we are unable to fix this issue, about all I can do is post the YouTube links in URL format. You'd have to open a separate window, but that's better than nothing.

We will resume the countdown tomorrow with 78.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I don't see them either.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Great to have this back up and running. And I can now see posted videos.

Round 79

Chien, Orlesan - Dunno, for me it just sounds like typical house music. Without the French vocals I don't think I would have guessed it was one of your picks. Not for me.

Geezer, Rise Against - I own this record on the back of your countdown all those years ago. I listened to it quite a bit back then, not so much nowadays. Still, was nice to hear it again, and I was reminded it was certainly one of the better songs from the album.

Johnerle, Amanda Palmer - Didn't know she was married to Gaiman, and for the most part only knew her from her Dresden Dolls days. While this is missing the scale of that work, or the gothic atmosphere, it was still great.

Leestu, Grinderman - Despite being a fan of both Cave and Ellis/Dirty Three, I can't say I have invested enough in Grinderman, think I should change that as this was great.

Nspan, The Greenhornes - I own Sewed Soles so I know this song, and while I enjoy the band I can't help but shake the fact that while the likes of Jack White used his influences to create something fresh and exciting, The Greenhornes just seemed satisfied with imitating their influences. It makes for nice music to listen to, but not something I really seek out too often, as I generally prefer their influencers.

Ron, Flight Of The Conchords - I loved the series, but without the show I can't really maintain my interest in the music, the two are inseparable really. And yeah, Business Time was my favourite of their songs too. But fun enough to listen to I guess as a novelty.

Screen, Kieza - Another dance act I just can't take anything from.

Shryke, Green Day - I remember when Green Day had an urgency about them, like if they didn't get the song out their insides would explode. This was kind of plodding. Definitely glad I checked out of the band after American Idiot.

six, Interpol - You are correct, those first two records are immense, both with their own identity yet equally impressive. They did kind of lose it after that strong start, though the odd song on their later records still show their abilities. This is not my favourite from this record (think that belongs to Not Even Jail or perhaps Evil), but still great nonetheless.

tranny, Deftones - Always felt like these should be a band I am interested in; an alternative metal band with something interesting going on. Never had the chance to listen to them before but there were moments of this that were great. Not everything worked, but enough to peak my interest.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Chien - Basique - French rap, this is new to me, i didn't mind it. FL2. 5.5/10
Geezer - music didnt play, and coz its Rise Against, i didnt chase it
John - Lost - Im sure ive heard this before, its ok. 5/10
Leestu - Heathen Child - Sorry, i just can't get into Nick Cave stuff. 4/10
NSpan - The End of the NIght. Hmmm, nah. FL. 3.5/10
Screen - Giant in My Heart - Some good bits here and there. 5.5/10
Shryke - Oh Love - Its only so so for me. 5/10
Six - Take You on a Cruise. FL2. I'll be the first to put up my hand i rarely delve into albums, even with songs i really like. This is a classic example. Nice song, ive got some delving to do. 7/10
Surfer - My Shadow - I love it how your workplace branded one of my songs a banger! Ive got a couple more.....This song, first listen i almost turned it off. But after the 3rd listen i kinda dug the raw grungy chorus and the guitar build up after. Nice one ss. 6/10
Tranny - Knife prty - Deftones is only slightly ahead of Rise Against for me. I do like 1 of their songs though, just can't remember which one. 3.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

It's only been 5 days since the last installment, but MAN, doesn't it seem like it's been a month?

CHIEN

Damien Rice, The Blower’s Daughter (2002)

I can’t believe this song is almost 20 years old. I’ve listened to this song a lot, back then, then I grew tired of it. But when we started talking about making that Top 100, I’ve re-listened to a certain number of songs, including this one, and I thought that it was still very beautiful. Simple, but sometimes, simplicity can be beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YXVMCHG-Nk

GEEZER

Red City Radio, In The Meantime (2015)

You know, for someone who has neither gotten high or played the guitar, I find it exceedingly fun to scream "I just want to get high and play my fucking guitar" at the top of my lungs. Red City Radio doing what they do best, anthemic, fun, sing-a-long Oklahoma punk rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D0GxiZ4AMk

JOHNERLE

First Aid Kit, Emmylou (2012)

Let's say you're a couple of young Swedish sisters with an interest in Americana but you're worried no one will take you seriously. How do you prove you're legit? Write a song about Emmylou Harris, play it in front of Emmylou Harris, and make Emmylou Harris cry. Instant country cred.

Also: Heaven Knows, Kings Of The World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5A9OCAyIk

LEESTU

The Flaming Lips, Do You Realize?? (2002)

The first single from one of their best albums, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. It’s a sad but happy, sweet but bitter, accepting of death but life affirming, clever but simple, psychedelic pop / neo-psychedelia song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXWt2ESxVY

NSPAN

The Redwalls, It's Alright (2003)

The Redwalls appeared on the scene in 2003 and instantly made waves with favorable comparisons to the sound of the Beatles and the Kinks. Many bands can claim similar accolades, but the Redwalls push through the potential pitfall of being purely derivative and forge their own sound. "It's Alright" was the first song of theirs I heard, and--for that reason--holds a special place in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRgs8WHyQLA

RON B

Radiohead, 15 Step (2007)

I was in the middle of digging through all of Radiohead's back catalogue when this album dropped. If the radio was playing bad music, this would go on. And this song is one of my fav's from the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsmr7t8zGE

SCREEN203

Tove Lo, True Disaster (2016)

This throwback pop song shows off what Tove Lo does best (strong vocals with very honest, often raunchy lyrics - not necessarily this song, but the fact the the album is titled "Lady Wood" and the homage to the Like A Prayer album cover should tell you what most of her music is like. She also excels at making quite sad songs, when you think about it, that have euphoric pop beats to show the recklessness of the lyrics. Love the buildup to the chorus in particular (the "give zero fucks about it/I'm gonna get hurt) - great summary of the themes of her music as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMsok5m5yD4

SHRYKE

Depeche Mode, When the Body Speaks (2001)

Exciter is, hands down, the best record DM has put out this millennium. I’d even stack it against some of their 90’s output (but not Violator, obvi). Several songs from this album got consideration for my list, but only two made the cut. The first is this tender, moving ballad that proves that David Gahan can strip down his vocals to match the haunting guitar of Martin Gore. While Enjoy the Silence still remains my favorite song of all time, this song is a wonderful listen as well. The last two minutes are just breathtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1z2lhPuzqc

SIX

Exploded View, Orlando (2016)

James Brown said music is really all rhythm. Which I get, because sometimes a great bassline and drum-beat is all that’s needed to hook me. So this song works on that alone, though I love the way the sequencer doesn’t quite fit, and the singer’s Nico-esque vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GuDCPTtpI

SURFER

Low, Point Of Disgust (2002)

It was great to hear six had listed 'Silver Rider' a few days ago, as that was a song that was very close to making my cut for this countdown. This song did make the cut, however, and it is a quite beautiful and delicate song. Discarding the fuzz for which they were renowned, this song makes the most of just a piano and some wonderful, almost gospel like vocal harmonies, and what results is a work at a spiritual level. The record this is borrowed from, 'Trust', addresses redemption quite a lot, but despite its understated nature it seems to hits all the harder on this song and leaves me just wanting to curl up in a blanket every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYoxHskCnSo

TRANSFORMERS

MF Doom, Hoe Cakes (2004)

The 2nd and final MF Doom cut to appear on my list. With its unorthodox rhyme schemes, jazzy beat that is built around beat boxing and extended outro featuring samples from some unknown form of superhero media, Hoe Cakes represents Doom at his singularity abstract peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZAXE3-srfM

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Chien - The Blowers Daughter - Slow indeed, almost...too slow. FL. 2.5/10
Geezer -In the Meantime - Sorry mate, i kinda hated it. FL. 1/10
jErle - Emmylou - Very pleasant. But it doesn't do much for me. FL. 3/10
Leestu - Do You Realize - I actually hated this song when it came out, and for many years after. Then something clicked a while ago and i realized. 6.5/10
NSPan - Its Alright - Sounds like they are trying real hard to be The Beatles. FL. 3.5/10
Screen - True Disaster - This is similar to Ladyhawke (wonder if you heard of her) but not as good as her best imo. FL. 4.5/10
Shyrke - When the body speaks - Not sure why, but for some reason i expected a Personal Jesus like sound, this was totally different. FL. 4/10
Six - Orlando - Speaking of totally different, this was unlike anything ive heard before, only word to describe it is something me and my li bro say: strangu. FL. 6/10
Surf - Point of disgust - Not bad at all. I'll probably look into Low a bit more now. FL. 6/10
Tranny - Hoe Cakes - For all the praise ive heard for MF Doom, this wasn't amazing. FL. 5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - The Blower's Daughter - Can't remember if I saw Closer back in 2004. This was a pretty good song. 6/10

Geezer - In the Meantime - Dude, I liked this. I can relate! 7/10

JohnErle - Emmylou - This kind of music usually does nothing for me, but I gotta say, what a sweet and loving tribute. Thanks for picking this version. 6.5/10

Leestu - Do You Realize?? - I know I know this song from somehwere. A movie, maybe? Anyway, it was okay. 5.5/10

NSpan - It's Alright - Did sound overly Beatles-esque to me. It was ok. 5/10

Ron B - 15 Step - Just like a lot of Radiohead songs... I don't get it. Cool guitars, though. 5.5/10

Screen203 - True Disaster - I don't know why, but whenever I see Tove Lo's name, my brain starts thinking about Tone Loc... which... yeah. Anyway, this was a really good song. The video lent a grittier feel that I'm not sure it needed, as the vocals and instrumentation are fairly smooth. Still, good choice. 7/10

Six - Orlando - As you told me, this song is very niche. Not really in a niching mood right now, I guess. :lol: 4/10

Surfer - Point of Disgust - Kept waiting for it to take me somehwere, but it kind of left me on the curb. Sorry. 4.5/10

Tranny - Hoe Cakes - Like most hip-hop, it's just meh for me. 4/10

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Shrykespeare wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 8:10 pm
I'm unable to see any of the previously posted videos. Can anyone else see them?

If we are unable to fix this issue, about all I can do is post the YouTube links in URL format. You'd have to open a separate window, but that's better than nothing.

We will resume the countdown tomorrow with 78.
Think it's because you're leaving the S in https in the URL. Embed used to work as long as you took that out, like this:

Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I know, Banks. I added the "S" back in so the links would be visible. The upgrade in software didn't come with the ability to see the videos displayed, unfortunately. David may try to fix this later on.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

That may just be an issue on your end. I can see/play that video Banks just posted as well as both of the trailers I posted earlier.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

That's bizarre. I will email David and see if there's some kind of function I need to activate (or deactivate) so I can watch the videos. Screen said he couldn't see them either.

Can anyone else see them, or is it just a blank space for you?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I can see them fine, and now I'm dying to know why Banks chose that particular video. Love Little Shop Of Horrors!