Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Post by Leestu »

#86 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... Y6-Y9as2Fg

AaRon is on spotify but this song or album is not ( at least in Australia).
numbersix wrote:
....Leetsu and Surfer - seriously, get your hands on the book Meet Me in the Bathroom. It's an oral history of the New York music scene from 2000-2009, and outlines the rise of acts like The Walkmen, LCD Soundsystem, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and a band coming up real soon in my countdown. I also missed out on the Walkemen hype, but I do have most of their records. I think their best is actually the one Leithauser and Rostam did together - the best Christmas album that's not really a Christmas album....
Sounds like I must get that book.
Are you talking about I Had A Dream That You Were Mine? It's a great album but I never realised he was the singer from The Walkmen, I just knew Rostam from Vampire Weekend.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That's the one. An incredible album!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Only a couple of highlights today but no lowlights.

The I Love It

LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends - way too early in the countdown to see this song appear ;)...LCD Soundsystem join Pixies, The Smiths, & Led Zeppelin with four excellent albums with their first four proper studio albums...I highly recommend the concert/interview DVD Shut Up And Play The Hits, I already liked LCD Soundsystem but it was after watching this that I truly 'got' them and became a bit of a fanboy

The Great

Clinic, Sunlight Bathes Our Home - first listen...been meaning to check out this band for a while...this is great and increases my anticipation to hear an album or two

The Very Good

Kendrick Lamar, Rigamortis - first listen...Kendrick ranges from excellent to good to blech for me, usually all within the same album, so a real song by song artist...I haven't heard Section.80 yet though and this was some great rapping over a cool beat...nice!

The Very Good...(but also Not Good)

Transplants, Diamonds and Guns - you didn't mention it but I'm sure you realise this band is a bit of a supergroup with Tim Armstrong from Rancid, Travis Barker from Blink-182, and a few other guests from other bands?...undeniably catchy and a bit of (dumb) fun, if a bit derivative (Gorillaz do it less punky but better), and a bit of a throwaway...I still can't help but enjoy it when I hear it though, it gets my head bopping along to the beat...lyrics are bad...can you tell I'm a bit torn on this song?

The Good

To save some time everything else from today was good but nothing stands out as special in my ears...AaRON and Madrugada were new to me...Madrugada is intriguing though - Norwegian alt-country/americana???

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

De Palmas, J’en rêve encore (2000)

De Palmas is a singer coming from the Reunion Island, a French territory located next to Madagascar. If you’ve never heard of it, ask Numbersix what he thinks of the food coming from there.

Well, I digress. De Palmas exploded in the 90’s in France, but his best album is from the early 00’s, the album “J’en rêve encore” (“I still dream of it”) comes from. A song about losing your feelings and emotions when you miss someone.

“One last effort, a few months will do it, I’m almost dead, a few more months and that’s it. Erase all the traces, what’s left of candor, a piece of ice instead of a heart. And even if I improve, I still dream of it”.

ETA: If the above doesn't work (it didn't for me), try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tST_T9fJzso

GEEZER

Against Me!, Transgender Dysphoria Blues (2014)

The title track from what is my favorite album of the last twenty years, and arguably the most important piece of musical wizardry in my life. This is the opening track of the album that signals, loud and clear, the triumphant return of the greatest band in the world, with a new sound, and a huge weight lifted off the shoulders of Laura Jane Grace. You will hear so much more from them among this countdown and that should come as no shock to anyone who has followed my musical journey over the last ten years, so I will just end it at that for now.

JOHNERLE

Cold War Kids, Something Is Not Right With Me (2008)

"I tried to call you collect
You said you would not accept
Your friends are laughing 'cause nobody uses payphones"

Also: Mexican Dogs

LEESTU

Grouplove, Borderlines And Aliens (2013)

Grouplove are a family favourite, with something that appeals to all our different tastes. They bring a ‘90s indie rock influence to the prevailing indie pop of the time. This is the first song of theirs I heard, and it’s one of those songs that clicked with me immediately so that I vividly remember where I was when I heard it. As soon as I could I dived into their discography and they still get regular play on our family playlists.

I had to use this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RsabA8nFFg

NSPAN

Danger Doom, Old School Rules (2005)

Danger Mouse + MF Doom + Talib Kweli. I'm in love with this album--even if it's partial novelty. There's just so much talent overflowing that it slaps despite being an intentional throwaway.

RON B

The Temper Trap, Sweet Disposition (2008)

This song snuck on to my list very late, i used to enjoy a lot more than i do now, but based on the impact back then, it’s a worthy song.

Alternative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7HQrgakZU

SCREEN203

Rihanna feat. Travis Scott, Woo (2016)

Rihanna has always been more experimental than her pop credentials would show. This industrial and hip-hop influenced track is one of my favorites of hers - the driving beat complements the harshness of the lyrics well.

SHRYKE

Disturbed, Prayer (2002)

I’ve been a fan of David Draiman’s voice for decades. More than most other heavy metal bands, Disturbed has a distinctive sound that has never failed to impress me. Hearing David’s almost operatic baritone cover Simon & Garfunkel’s “Sound of Silence” not too many years ago is a testament to how they’re never afraid to push boundaries. For me, Ten Thousand Fists is one of the best metal albums of the first decade of the millennium. This is from Believe, which is almost as good. “Prayer”, which Draiman wrote following the death of his grandfather, is the first of three songs by this band on my list.

SIX

PVT, Crimson Swan (2010)

I’m a big fan of Joy Division and am always curious about bands who emulate them in some way, even if the majority disappoint. Australian act PVT channel the Manchester act in this track, a brooding, atmospheric number. But what makes it transcend their influence is the how the song soars, breaking free from the gloom.

SURFER

Animal Collective, My Girls (2009)

I will admit I have not listened to all of Animal Collective's back catalogue, they were relentless during the first decade of the century releasing 8 records in 9 years. However, from what I have heard, the sonic leap the band made on Merriweather Post Pavilion was something I had not expected. Losing their guitarist before its release, I found the band drew direct inspiration rather than from previous AC records, but from Panda Bear's 'Person Pitch' (a side project of the band), using multiple layers of samples to create a collage of Beach Boys melodies and Avalanches style sonic patterns. It all came together at its peak with My Girls, the ultimate dance song that will get any disco bouncing. It was kind of odd for a band like this to actually break out, having survived on the margins of music all this time to suddenly explode, but then for the scene not to progress was a little odd. Still what is left is this astonishing piece of music.

TRANSFORMERS

Battlecross, Push Pull Destroy (2011)

Have you ever felt like an act was created just for you? Battlecross is one of the few artists I've come across that appeals to me on an almost comical level. Throwing American thrash and Swedish melodic death metal into a blistering riff-driven blender is a surefire way to bring me joy and this ripping track from their debut LP always leaves me with a particularly large smile on my face every time I hear it.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geez - this is definitely one of the better modern punk bands you like. The interesting theme of the songs helps a lot. There's a lot of trans and queer punk that's really fascinating.
John - A bad whose name has been in my sphere for a while now. This was decent.
Leetsu - Very 90s. I mean one of the vocal bits is very similar to a bit from All Aoologies. And there's a bit of Pumpkins-esque grunge amidst the 90s college rock vibe.
NSpan - very much enjoy this. If you've more tracks from this record coming, I'll be happy
Ron B - this was an ad song for a long time. Sounds like they want to be a poppier Arcade Fire
Screen - I like Rihanna. Diamonds in the Sky almost made my Top 100. This was good, but not as powerful as some of her other stuff.
Surf - fantastic song. Love the Beach Boys vibe.

Rest didn't do a lot for me. For a post 90s countdown there is a lot of nu metal floating about.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Leestu, Last Night is a decent song that I've heard many times.
JohnErle, that was new to me, and I liked it.
Ron, there's seemingly a lot of songs that people in this group love that I only know from American television commercials, and this is another. Its fun, though.
Shryke, Smashmouth is also not nearly as bad as this. But at least you didn't pick Holla Back Girl. Wait, you didn't pick Holla Back Girl, right?
Surfer, this is the type of song that I feel like if I already enjoyed the artist, listened to this in the context of an album I like, could really focus on it lyrically, I could see the merits in it. But not having any of that be true in this case, it just kinda put me to sleep.

The rest I don't have much to comment on, sorry.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Chien, Holy shit Chien! Not only did I finally get a song I could finish from you, I liked the hell out of this Robert Frances song. I will revisit this for sure. Excellent choice.
John - I don't hate Lily Allen, not what I'd seek out, but at least she's different as far as pop singers go.
Leestu - had to be one of your worst picks, sorry.
Ron - Take me out is excellent, heard it a hundred times, and it still holds up. Great rock song. Guitar work is excellent. I did get sick of it back in the day though because it was used in a Madden game and thus, played repeatedly for me. Good to hear it again years later with fresher ears.
Screen - sounds very 80's to me. Even the album cover looks 80's.
Shryke - like I told you on facebook, I used to listen to a shitload of Breaking Benjamin, particularly this album and their next one. I saw them in concert with Puddle of Mud and Three Days Grace and they blew the other bands away. They really stood out in that era of otherwise shitty modern rock. Excellent choice.
Six - if this is the best Frank Ocean has to offer, I'm glad I never wasted my time trying to get into Frank Ocean.
Surfer - I think this is a perfect example of the point JohnErle made. To me, this sounds a hell of a lot like everything else in this genre, and nothing about it stuck out. Its not bad, just not special, not to me, but I am admittedly not initiated. The way you talk about the songs you love is very eloquent, though. I wish I could explain things in such a way.

Otherwise, I turned them off very quickly

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Geezer wrote: Surfer - I think this is a perfect example of the point JohnErle made. To me, this sounds a hell of a lot like everything else in this genre, and nothing about it stuck out. Its not bad, just not special, not to me, but I am admittedly not initiated. The way you talk about the songs you love is very eloquent, though. I wish I could explain things in such a way.
Totally understandable, no disrespect but I have felt the same way about many of your picks (not just in this countdown but many songs you have posted over the years). A lot of your picks seem to have that college punk pop sound mixed with a Celtic spin and a broad Boston accent. Finding the intricacies of some of our picks have been difficult. I think, though, it is just a consequence of not being familiar with the work so it is instantly dismissed when they belong to a certain genre.

I remember being in school about 20 years ago and in our common room I had put OK Computer on the communal hifi. It was met with numerous moans and comments that Radiohead were miserable and that all their songs sounded the same. Now for me I just couldn't understand that, as that record is for me one of the most diverse records ever made, with so many intricacies to it all that I am aware of. But to the uninitiated I imagine that is a possible conclusion you could come to, and in time I have learned to understand that.

It is what is making this countdown so difficult to really appreciate. How can we judge a song, in complete isolation, over the course of just 3 minutes (or 7 minutes in six's case)? We can't, these reactions can only be immediate reactions and so I think a lot of my thoughts on these songs may change over time, and I do intend to continue to use the Spotify play lists to see if that is true. Who knows, I may even find an appreciation for Smashmouth...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I would have DEFINITELY joined in on that moaning and misery.

And I agree with everything you are saying (though other than the Dropkick Murphys I don't have any Boston based bands on my list!) However, if we can all find even a handful of songs from each other we can appreciate, or artists to seek further over the course of this then it was worth the effort. I've already got half a dozen new to me artists I intend to seek out more (half of which are yours). And if nothing else, it was nice to get to truly dive back into a lot of my own favorite music that I hadn't spent time focusing on in a while. I don't expect to turn people who don't already love punk music the way I do into its biggest fan, I just hope to share a little bit of what makes it special to me, even if I can't quite expound upon it as well as you. Its also good to just read some of the comments to be honest and get the old gang back together. Lots of positives, even if we aren't enthralled with every musical option.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - J’en rêve encore - Kind of got into this. I'd probably like it more if I understood the lyrics, but nice choice. 6.5/10

Geezer - Transgende Dysphoria Blues - Nice, tight little tune. Really enjoyed it. 6/10

JohnErle - Something Is Not Right With Me - I've liked a few CWK songs, but not this one. 4/10

Leestu - Borderlines and Aliens - I like Grouplove (check out their brand new song "Deleter"), and I enjoyed this as well. 6.5/10

NSpan - Old School Rules - This was cute. That's all I got. 5.5/10

Ron B - Sweet Disposition - Great song, great video. "Need Your Love" is my fave TT song, but this is a close second. Just awesome. 8.5/10

Screen203 - Woo - Not much of a Rihanna fan, and this song didn't change that. 5/10

Six - Crimson Swan - Never really got there for me. 5.5/10

Surfer - My Girls - See above. 5.5/10

Transformers - Push Pull Destroy - Glad this makes you smile, tranny. You go ahead and smile for both of us. 5/10

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Geezer wrote:I would have DEFINITELY joined in on that moaning and misery.
Ha! And I would have been sitting in corner of the room mumbling to myself (in a very Stephen Root Office Space style) about how you guys just DON'T UNDERSTAND! I guess as you get older, you don't really get wiser, you just learn not to give a shit anymore!!

And I think I proved my own point in regards to the Boston sound. I already had it in my head quite a few of the groups you had posted so far were from that area as the vocals had a drawl that reminded me of the accent. So I guess unless you really are invested in the music, these are the things we miss (or I am just oblivious to!).

Fully concur with your further comments, it's been great starting this up again (thanks Shryke!) and listening to songs that perhaps fall off your radar in a world where everything has to be new. And yes, lots to discover too!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

The Temper Trap, Sweet Disposition - quite a stunning song...has the dubious honour of being one of the best songs to surprisingly not make the annual triple J hottest 100 (although it did make the hottest 100 of the last 20 years in 2013)

The Great

Cold War Kids, Something Is Not Right With Me - cool song...one of your best picks so far

Animal Collective, My Girls - this song really grew on me over time, but I think there is many better songs on their earlier albums and some of Panda Bear's solo albums

The Very Good

Against Me!, Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Against Me! stand out from the rest...looking forward to hearing more of them from your picks

The Good

Danger Doom, Old School Rules - first listen...MF Doom seems to have been involved in so many different projects over the years...it's cool that he often seems to work with concepts...enjoyed the lyrics and beats on this

Battlecross, Push Pull Destroy - first listen...why do I seem to enjoy music like this more the older I get...shouldn't it be the other way around? A bit over the top but that's part of the enjoyment factor

PVT, Crimson Swan - first listen...an interesting one-off listen and as you say very atmospheric...not something I see myself returning too for enjoyment though

The Okay

Disturbed, Prayer - first listen...Disturbed has that unfortunate position of falling into that middle ground of too heavy for my taste but not heavy enough for when I do like metal...although that S&G cover was impressive

The Meh

Rihanna feat. Travis Scott, Woo - first listen...I liked the music at first but after a while it became too repetitive, and fair enough too as it was just background for Rihanna to shine really, unfortunately Rihanna is not to my taste

De Palmas, J’en rêve encore - first listen...maybe it's a case of the lyrics make it better?

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

CHIEN, De Palmas, J’en rêve encore (2000) FL. Not for me. 2.5/10
GEEZER, Against Me!, Transgender Dysphoria Blues (2014) FL. Not something I would put on but I wouldn't turn It off either. 4/10
JOHNERLE, Cold War Kids, Something Is Not Right With Me (2008) I really like one of their songs, this was not so much. 5.5/10
LEESTU, Grouplove, Borderlines And Aliens (2013) Dug this song, lost some gloss as i heard it many times, still great. 7/10
NSPAN, Danger Doom, Old School Rules (2005) Yeah, i can get into this. 6/10
SCREEN203, Rihanna feat. Travis Scott, Woo (2016) FL. Always kinda hated Rhianna. This song aint horrible though. 3.5/10
SHRYKE, Disturbed, Prayer (2002) Just never could get into this band despite heaps of mates loving em. 2.5/10
SIX,PVT, Crimson Swan (2010) FL. First half wasn't good, then halfway, turns into a completely different and better song. 5.5/10
SURFER, Animal Collective, My Girls (2009) Pretty much only know this song from AC, but what a great song! Pick of the round. 8/10
TRANSFORMERS, Battlecross, Push Pull Destroy (2011) FL. I like Metalocalypse, but not this very much. 4/10

Thoughts on some comments:

About the ads, some time in my life i stopped tolerating ads, they suck and i try my best to avoid them. But i do get where you're coming from about lots of these songs being connected to an ad. And yep it can ruin a song for sure - theres probably some more coming up in the same boat.

Also, bought some brand new headphones, to help with my school class with sound, should help me hear each song a lot better! :D
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

You're welcome, Surfer. Let me know when the Smash Mouth lovefest starts....