Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-Rans

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-Rans

Post by Shrykespeare »

After months of binging music, I have finally finished my list of songs. I have a few more to cut to get to 100, but I figured, while the rest of you are polishing up your order (and sending a least the first 5-10 of them to me NO LATER THAN 1/30), I'll start by posting a few songs that I absolutely love, but juuuuuust not enough to include them in our upcoming countdown.

NOTE: When posting YouTube links, make sure to remove the "s" from "https" in the address or we may not be able to display the video here.

Lenny Kravitz, "Again" (2000)

Depeche Mode, "I Feel Loved" (2001)

Pet Shop Boys, "All Over the World (2008)

fun., "Carry On" (2012)

Weezer, "Africa" (starring Weird Al Yankovic) (2018)

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-R

Post by Leestu »

For those that prefer spotify.
I'll add to it as more come in.

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... _ZmWdCFv2g

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I will try and kick off my contribution to the countdown with a couple of songs a day which just missed my cut. Got to say, removing those last few songs down from my top 150 was painful.

110. Django Django, "Hail Bop" (2012)

109. Modest Mouse, "I Came As A Rat" (2000)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

108. Sonic Youth, ''The Empty Page'' (2002)

107. The Black Keys, "Strange Times" (2008).

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

A couple of comments on Shrykes selections so far, having given them all a fair listen. To be honest, a few of them were listenable, primarily the Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys songs, which despite not quite hitting the marks of their peaks, were decent enough I guess. Was most surprised by the Pet Shop Boys though, actually, firstly as I thought they had passed from existence by this point, and secondly as it wasnt actually that bad.

Same cannot be said for Lenny Kravitz and especially so Weezer. Kravitz has never really felt like a real musician to me, more someone who poses as a rock star and imitates what it is to be one. And this didnt go any further to expelling that idea from my head. On the other hand, Weezer were one of my favourite bands in the world for a time. But since Pinkerton there has been a distinct downturn, and noticeably so since Maladroit. I just dont even see the point in this songs existence either, it offers nothing in comparison to the Toto original, it has no trademark Weezer moments, it all feels a little unnecessary and a sad state of a once fantastic band. Great that you can take something from it, Shryke, but definitely not for me.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Love The Empty Page. Didn't fit any SY in my list sadly, although if we were doing albums I'd have Murray St quite high on my list.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:A couple of comments on Shrykes selections so far, having given them all a fair listen. To be honest, a few of them were listenable, primarily the Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys songs, which despite not quite hitting the marks of their peaks, were decent enough I guess. Was most surprised by the Pet Shop Boys though, actually, firstly as I thought they had passed from existence by this point, and secondly as it wasnt actually that bad.

Same cannot be said for Lenny Kravitz and especially so Weezer. Kravitz has never really felt like a real musician to me, more someone who poses as a rock star and imitates what it is to be one. And this didnt go any further to expelling that idea from my head. On the other hand, Weezer were one of my favourite bands in the world for a time. But since Pinkerton there has been a distinct downturn, and noticeably so since Maladroit. I just dont even see the point in this songs existence either, it offers nothing in comparison to the Toto original, it has no trademark Weezer moments, it all feels a little unnecessary and a sad state of a once fantastic band. Great that you can take something from it, Shryke, but definitely not for me.
Well, both PBS and DM haven't done much in the last decade, at least not much that measures up to previous stuff. There will be several more Nate Reuss-led songs, DM and PSB songs on my list (from the early 2000s). There will not be any more Kravitz or Weezer (which I think I love mostly because of the nostalgia factor).

I rather liked your Django Django song. The Black Keys, Modest Mouse and Sonic Youth songs all failed to hit the mark for me (though I hope SY does make the Hall of Fame at some point, that would be cool).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:A couple of comments on Shrykes selections so far, having given them all a fair listen. To be honest, a few of them were listenable, primarily the Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys songs, which despite not quite hitting the marks of their peaks, were decent enough I guess. Was most surprised by the Pet Shop Boys though, actually, firstly as I thought they had passed from existence by this point, and secondly as it wasnt actually that bad.

Well, both PBS and DM haven't done much in the last decade, at least not much that measures up to previous stuff. There will be several more Nate Reuss-led songs, DM and PSB songs on my list (from the early 2000s). There will not be any more Kravitz or Weezer (which I think I love mostly because of the nostalgia factor).

I rather liked your Django Django song. The Black Keys, Modest Mouse and Sonic Youth songs all failed to hit the mark for me (though I hope SY does make the Hall of Fame at some point, that would be cool).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

6 songs that didn't make my list, but I couldn't shut the door on.

106: The Murder Capital, “For Everything” (2019)

A fine example of the emerging Irish post-punk scene, this is an incredible opening to the band’s debut album. Let’s see what this decade brings.

105: Danny Brown, “uknowhatimsayin?” (2019)

One that’s on rotation regularly at the moment. While it doesn’t demonstrate Brown’s trademark filthy humour, it instead has a laid back vibe and jazz beats.

104: M.I.A, “Galang” (2005)

The song that started it all for MIA. While it may sounds very DIY and quaint, at the time it was confrontational and utterly distinct, and still rattles around my head 15 years later.

103: U.S. Girls, “Sororal Feelings” (2015)

A great white soul song about the breakup of sisterly feelings due to a man who seems to play them all.

102: Vampire Weekend, “A Punk” (2008)

Another debut for a band who had a damn fine time these last 12 or so years, capitalising on the success of The Strokes (bizarrely enough, that’s what the critics at the time tried to label them as), this is a perfectly twee and fun tune.

101: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Heads Will Roll” (2009)

YYYs had a great 2 albums, but just couldn’t sustain their energy since then. This is the only track that really impressed, with its added synth and catchy rhythm.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Black Keys track is on spotify but not available in my country. I have made the playlist collaborative so if someone wants to add it if it's available they can.
https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... pKOJyTP9PQ

The Excellent
The Empty Page by Sonic Youth - possibly their best post 2000 song

The Great
Carry On by fun. - great song from a surprisingly enjoyable album

The Very Good
I Came As A Rat - not one of my favourites from the album...my favourite will be in my 100
Strange Times by The Black Keys

The Good
I Feel Loved by Depeche Mode

The Okay
Africa by Weezer - too much a karaoke and not weezerfied enough
Hail Bop by Django Django - they just haven't clicked with me yet
All Over The World by Pet Shop Boys - they are good at what they do

The Generically Dull
Again by Lenny Kravitz - although the guitar solo was okay...terrible cliched video

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Until the countdown proper starts as a bit of a teaser I'll post some songs every now and then that should have been in my top 100 if it weren't for my self imposed maximum of 3 per artist & 1 per album rule.

Fill In The Blank by Car Seat Headrest (2016)

The reason I imposed the rule on myself otherwise 8-10 songs from this album (my favourite album of the millenium) would have been on my list.

He's Seeing Paths by Parkay Quarts (2013)

An alias for Parquet Courts, who according to spotify were my most played artist of the last decade.
A song about one of the band member's time as a bicycle courier in New York City so all the bells and phone ringing sounds make total sense.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Six - loved the Vampire Weekend video. So funny. The Monkees would have loved it. The others didn't resonate.

leestu - Really liked the Car Seat Headrests song. The Parkay Quarts was delightfully quirky. Nice choices.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Car Seat Headrest didn't make my list, but I do love Teens of Denial.

Never heard that Parquet Courts song. It's good but they've better. You'll see ;) And actually I never realised that they had a debut album from 2011 , American Specialities. Must get listening!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are a few more recent cuts I had to make:

Dido, "White Flag" (2003)

I'm sure most of you will find this blah and boring, but I really like Dido's voice.

Coldplay, "Fix You" (2005)

My favorite Coldplay song.

Depeche Mode, "Precious" (2005)

Another DM song that didn't quite make it. But don't worry, there were others that did.

Seal, "Amazing" (2007)

I've always adored Seal's voice, and it really hurt to cut this one from contention. But again, there will be others.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Whatever happened to Dido?