Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-Rans

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-R

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:Whatever happened to Dido?
According to Wiki, she released her latest album just under a year ago.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:Whatever happened to Dido?
Any woman who associates with Eminem ends up regretting it.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'll put up a few here while I still have reliable internet access. I posted a bunch the the collaborative Spotify playlist Leestu set up (thanks for that!) but I'll highlight a couple here.

Doves - Caught By The River

This will always have a special place in my heart because it was one of the first songs I heard on Radio Paradise that made me think something interesting was happening over there. I spent a couple of years listening obsessively to RP, made some life-long friends, and RP was my main inspiration for starting Dynamic Range Radio.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Once I decided that ranking individual songs would be damn near impossible, I realized I had to consider an artist's overall output during the millennium in my decision making. That made it a lot easier to cut out the covers, the one-hit-wonders, the two-to-three hit wonders, or anyone with an overly hipster vibe in their official videos. (I'm looking at you Mae Shi, but I wish I wasn't.)

Posting videos here has already crashed my browser once but I managed to recover the post so I'm not going to push my luck any further.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Okay, one more since I have the link handy. This one didn't survive the browser crash but it's too good not to post, the drummer's 'stache notwithstanding.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Will catch up with everyones picks soon but in the mean time, here is my next batch:

106. Priests, "No Big Bang" (2017)

While the post-punk band returned last year with their sophmore effort, The Seduction Of Kansas, it was their debut record, Nothing Comes Natural that was my springboard for the band and also contains their best songs. This is the highlight of the record for me, with a fantastic bass-line that cuts through the song as a funky and yet at the same time quite terrifying mood washes over you, while drummer Daniele Daniele sing-speaks relentlessly of creative failures.

105. Grandaddy, "The Crystal Lake" (2000)

Has Americana ever sounded so awesome? One of the finest examples of a band tackling the struggles of modern technology in a digital age, their insecurities and fears leading them to embracing the natural world have never sounded quite so beautiful. The synths bounce around the landscape like a nymph on water, while the instrumentation suggests a space ship hovering over the tumbling green hills, its a fascinating song and always leave me a little warm and fuzzy on the inside.

ETA (Shryke) - Above link didn't work for me. Try this if you're in the U.S. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTIWM4Yy2hA

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Some comments on John Erles picks:

Dodos were a band a listened to almost religiously about a decade ago, this album (Visiter) in particular, and this was the highlight of that record. It came close to making my own cut, so nice to see the band recognised by one of us. Has a very similar vibe to the like of Vampire Weekend, which leads in well to A-Punk, a fantastic little cut from the NYC band, so full of energy yet still with a beautiful melody that runs through it.

The Stand Ins was also a record I really enjoyed around the same period, Okkervil River were a band which came out at the same time as a lot of similar bands (The Decemberists, Mountain Goats etc) and certainly made the most of the boom in this style of music. Lost Coastlines is a good example of what they could do, and was lovely to hear it again after not listening to the band for quite a few years.

The Mae Shi are new to me, and they seem to have a lot going on in this song, video not withstanding. Sounds like a lot of ideas crashing into one another and for the most part it works, like the best bits of OK-Go and Broken Social Scene. Will look into these guys a little more.

Caribou have always been a band I have wanted to get into a little more than I actually have. I have a couple of their records on file digitally, and whenever I put them on I enjoy them, but for some reason it takes me a long time to return to them. Andorra is not one of the records I have, but I enjoyed the psychedilic 60s vibe to it all, very Beach Boys-esque and not entirely what I was expecting.

Doves were ANOTHER band I listened to quite a bit when I was younger, both The Last Broadcast and Lost Souls were lovely records, and Caught By The River is a great example of this crescendo reaching indie rock with warm vocals. Did not make my own list, but again, nice to hear again.

Will continue at a later date...

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Surfer, enjoy this feeling of being on the same wavelength while it lasts because I'm sure you'll hate a lot of the stuff I didn't cut. ;)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm convinced y'all are going to universally hate 90 percent of my choices.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle:

Doves - great song. Loved it.

Caribou - really like this. reminds me of the Manchester alt-indie music of the early 90s.

Mae Shi - they must have the same videographer as Vampire Weekend. Good tune.

Okkervil River - Not bad. Doubt I'll remember it in an hour.

The Dodos - Great guitar work. Cool song.

Surfer:

Priests - Didn't care for it.

Grandaddy - Liked it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A few thoughts.

John - some really good stuff here. Caribou in particular, who will feature in my Top 100. I remember seeing the Mae Shi live at a festival. They were good fun. Like the Doves song too.

Shryke - like all the Depeche Mode stuff. I kinda stopped listening to them this millennium, but some of it isn't bad at all.

Surf - good to see Priests there. Coming up much later in my proper list.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

A lot of catching up to do in just a day and a half!

Full Marks
For Everything by The Murder Capital - Coincidentally I just listened to this album yesterday as I've slowly been working my way through Surfer's favourite 2019 albums, and goddamn why did I not listen to it earlier. This opening track was killer, and would have made my favourite songs of the year. One of the best albums of 2019 that I will be listening to again very soon.

Love It
A Punk by Vampire Weekend - an old favourite of mine

The Excellent
Run To Your Grave by The Mae Shi - first listen...never heard of them...great fun, high energy tune...and I enjoyed the video ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Great
Fix You by Coldplay - it's worn out it's welcome a bit over the years but still a great song
Galang by M.I.A - very cool song
Eli by Caribou -first listen...Can't Do Without You is the only song I know of his...but psychedelic sunshine pop with interesting production? Yes please!
Fools by The Dodos - first listen...and then a second listen
The Crystal Lake by Grandaddy - love his voice...I will have one of their songs coming up soon

The Very Good
Heads Will Roll by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Precious by Depeche Mode - I doubt they will ever match their '80s and '90s material but with that voice and their experience they still don't do much wrong
Caught By The River by The Doves - one of the better songs from that album
Lost Coastlines by Okkervil River - first listen...it sucked me in as the song went on
No Big Bang by Priests - I'm not sold on Priests but I think this is one of their better songs

The Good
White Flag by Dido - My wife listened to it a bit at the time and it grew on me

The Okay
Sororal Feelings by U.S. Girls - first listen
uknowhatimsayin¿ by Danny Brown - I like others on the album better

Not My Thing
Amazing by Seal - can't deny he has a great voice...it's the attempt at making a "banger" that puts me off

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Here's a couple more should have made its.

I Don't Wanna Die Anymore by The Smith Street Band

One of my favourite live bands. So much passion. Saw them for I think the fifth time a couple of months ago.

The World At Large by Modest Mouse

I already loved the album but seeing this live version on youtube years ago made this song really click with me and elevated it to one of my very favourites from the album.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Another couple as we approach our top 100s:

104. The Cooper Temple Clause, "Film Maker" (2002)

There was a time for a brief moment in the early 2000s when this band encapuslated all the angst and drama of the rock scene, and I was enthralled by them. They are definitely a product of their time, harnessing a little of the XTRMNTR era Primal Scream, a little Portishead, a little Oasis even, but all wired up and ready to explode. Their debut record, See This Through And Leave, was on heavy rotation for most of my early 20s, and this song is the one which has survived more than everything else. Played at full throttle, its a great exercise in abandon.

103. Courtney Barnett, "Pedestrian At Best" (2015)

Barnett exploded onto the indie music scene 5 years ago now with the release of her debut record Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I just Sit, and it still sounds just as fresh today as it did back then. The lead single embodies everything about Barnetts sound, channeling her anxieties in scrappy, catchy pop songs, power chords aplenty and lyrics to scribble down on a napkin. Its ramshackle, its infectious, its a brutal self examination, and its fun as hell.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

A few thoughts while I wait for my flight:

I listened to all the No Cigar picks on the Spotify playlist and so far it's pretty easy to guess which picks are Shryke's, even on shuffle. And I know the pain of creating a playlist and realizing too late that the first tracks you add will show up as avatars in the header, so now I have to look at Lenny Kravitz EVERY DAMN TIME!

You guys have inflicted a lot of Car Seat Headrest on me in the past but that was probably the best thing I've ever heard from him.

I didn't hear anything remotely Americana in that Granddaddy track, but it was alright. That Parquet Courts song is twice as long as it should be, but I might have been able to recommend a 4:00 radio edit.

Vampire Weekend will make my list, but that's not the track I chose. I'm using a rough one-track-per-artist rule as I go through my picks, except for a few artists who I felt deserve multiple mentions, so A-Punk definitely could have made the list if I didn't have so many other artists to choose from.

The other song I would listen to on purpose is Precious, which I think I remember from back in the day, so don't worry Shryke, we're not going to hate ALL your picks.