Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Post by Buscemi »

It's just you, Monkey. The Stones were about scoring women. The Doors were about scoring everything else (along with women).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

NSpan
The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” (1965)
- Wasn't really one of the better Stones songs to me...

becs
The Cranberries, “Zombie”
- Pretty good song. I thought the only one of theirs I'd heard before was "Linger," but this sounds like something else...

undeadmonkey (aka Birthday Boy)
George Strait, "Run"
- I've heard this one numerous times. I'm not really a fan of George Strait as my tastes normally skew a little older than most of his stuff (Dwight Yoakam being a major exception). To me, this is a radio song, meaning I won't actively seek it out, but if it comes on the radio I won't go out of my way to change the station.

leestu
The Doors, “The End” (1967)
Buscemi
The Doors, “L.A. Woman”
- With two songs so far, you should know by now that I'm a fairly big Doors fan. I prefer L.A. Woman, but there are certain times when you want to listen to a song like "The End." My four year old daughter likes "The End" because it was used in a commercial she likes (bottom of this post). With the iconic use of "The End" in Apocalypse Now, I would have figured more that these songs would be switched around, though.

Banks
Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”
- In response to becs comment, although a legitimate statement considering there are those people out there that take anything said from these guys as gospel, I think this song is like Grand Theft Auto. Let's face it, neither Eminem or Dr. Dre do, did, or have done 90+% of the things they rap about. They operate on shock value and fantasy.

BarcaRulz
Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside"
- Good song. I like other RHCP songs better, though only one song made my list (pretty high up). They aren't a favorite band, but are one that I will go to every once in a while.

englishozzy
Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag”
- Meh... Definitely something I'd not actively search out, but something I wouldn't mind listening to once a year or so...

transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”
- It's better than... umm... other stuff. They do have a decent name, I'll give them that at least.

silversurfer
At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”
- Wasn't a big fan...

Geezer
Sugarcult, "Memory"
- Meh

Numbersix
Bjork, “Hyperballad”
- Decent lyrics, don't like the sound...

Shrykespeare
Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)
- Eh...

Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

silversurfer19 wrote:W -- David Alan Coe, “The Ride”
I'm sure it's just your intention to wear us all down with some country so that by the time we reach your final ten we will all love every one of your favourites. Or maybe you will spin us on our heads and present us with some grindcore metal....
Umm... It's 1/3 of my list. 15/30 thus far. Out of the next 18 songs, there's 1 country song.
UDM wrote:leestu -- The Doors, “The End” (1967)
Buscemi -- The Doors, “L.A. Woman”
how many doors songs is that now. either way still not a fan. are they kind of a stones wannabe band, or is that just me?
Did you listen to any of The Doors so far? They're the same genre, but that's about it. The two biggest differences are Morrison and Jagger being almost nothing alike and The Doors' heavy reliance on keyboards as their #2 guy and founding member (with Morrison) was the keyboardist. To me, both are very distinctive.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yep, i've listened to em all, sorry if i cant really tell them apart. and that cheese commercial was hilarious

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

undeadmonkey wrote: becs -- The Cranberries, “Zombie”
didnt like it, and not because it was political. just couldnt hold my attention. where's she from, i couldnt quite catch where here accent was from.
The Cranberries are pretty widely known to be Irish, surprised you don't know that. That and the fact that the song is about the conflict in Ireland should be a pretty big tip off.
W wrote: Banks
- In response to becs comment, although a legitimate statement considering there are those people out there that take anything said from these guys as gospel, I think this song is like Grand Theft Auto. Let's face it, neither Eminem or Dr. Dre do, did, or have done 90+% of the things they rap about. They operate on shock value and fantasy.
That's sort of beyond the point, I totally realize they are all talk, but I don't see how that improves the fact that they are not only condoning but encouraging beating people bloody, strangling someone for looking at them wrong, driving while falling down drunk, arson, killing someone and their dogs for being pissed off by their dumbassery, implying being armed makes you cool, and again with the choking to death

Also, that cheese commercial scared me for a minute, but then it got really good. I have a brick of manchego from trader joe's in the fridge to celebrate my new job, and it pretty much makes me feel exactly like that.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Something that Eminem did do: fail 9th grade three times.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)
I've probably not heard enough of these guys to have an informed opinion on them. They were a band I heard sporadically during the 90s and I was always interested in their stuff but never sought it out. I have now added Ultra to my Amazon wish list and hope to check it out in the near future, as this was pretty cool.
You'll like Ultra. Like I said, this track was on Exciter, and if you haven't check out the other links I posted with Freelove. If you really take a shine to Ultra, just check out their discography and work your way backward from there.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

becs wrote:
W wrote: Banks
That's sort of beyond the point, I totally realize they are all talk, but I don't see how that improves the fact that they are not only condoning but encouraging beating people bloody, strangling someone for looking at them wrong, driving while falling down drunk, arson, killing someone and their dogs for being pissed off by their dumbassery, implying being armed makes you cool, and again with the choking to death
So I guess you don't play 75% of video games, or watch 90% of TV and movies?

That kind of stuff is what Eminem does. He's got a pretty sick imagination, and talks about things he knows conservative people will hate. And although his content might be a bit dicey, he's got enormous amounts of talent.

You cant just single out one verse on one song as being a huge problem, without taking into account all the violence that permeates all facets of American culture.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

congratulations on your new job becs!

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

undeadmonkey wrote:congratulations on your new job becs!
You can come over and I might share some cheese with you seeing as how its your birthday...Maybe.. Happy birthday! :)
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, she saw that cheese commercial and thought "Top of the World," "The End," and "Eye of the Tiger" were the same song at first. She listened to "The End" on my iTouch and wanted to know when it went do, doot, doot, doot (meaning the riff from "Eye of the Tiger"). It took me a while, but she understands now.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote: So I guess you don't play 75% of video games, or watch 90% of TV and movies?

That kind of stuff is what Eminem does. He's got a pretty sick imagination, and talks about things he knows conservative people will hate. And although his content might be a bit dicey, he's got enormous amounts of talent.

You cant just single out one verse on one song as being a huge problem, without taking into account all the violence that permeates all facets of American culture.
Welllll... getting into the video game violence debate will just cause pages of ranting, but the way I see it...

video games are obviously fictional. So even if the violence is promoted it's in the realm of fantasy, and we all know that. When hearing Dre sing about beating and murdering witnesses, while also showing how wealthy he is, we can assume he's at least partly mixed up in the world of crime. And the difference is that it's REAL.

As for Eminem, his lyrics are usually blatently humorous whereas this Dre song is not. If it's anything it's angry and self-promotional.

And TV and movies? Most of them ultimately condemn the immoral as far as I can tell.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I think we've already passed the point of overanalyzing something as trivial as one of them hippity-hop songs the kids are listening to nowadays... M&M and Dre (PhD) can sing/talk about whatever they want--but until their MUSIC gets better, i don't really give two shits about their "message"..
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Good point. I just felt I had to draw the distinction between video games and certain rappers. Hell, I'm a Stones fan and Mick wasn't exactly a feminist.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

And, anyway, we've heard it all before (in this same round even!). You know, Jim Morrison talking about killing his dad and doing something (presumably) unspeakable to his mom...
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.