Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Post by Leestu »

As you would expect with a format like this I think the overall quality is getting better. I am finding songs I like from everyones lists. Buscemi is the big improver with his latest bunch of ten. Becs recent list of ten looks good when you read it. Apart from one song they are all either songs I like or songs by bands I like. I am starting to like more of Shryke and Geezers' picks too. No offence intended but I am struggling to listen to some of UDMs and Banks picks. However I love seeing the wide range of tastes displayed. I am starting to work out who will and won't like each of my picks but sometimes someone surprises me. Even when I think no one will like a particular pick there's usually someone who does. And it is great to see this expanding to fifteen participants!
There has been too many great songs to list them all, but my 10 faves that I already know are:-
The Smiths "Heaven /knows I'm Miserable Now" (Six) - this would have been on my short list of 30 or so Smiths songs that are worthy of being on a list like this.
The White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Girl (Six)
Nirvana "In Bloom" (Geezer)
The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again" (Geezer again)
David Bowie "Changes" (Becs)
Simon and Garfunkel "The Boxer" (Buscemi)
The Doors "LA Woman" (Buscemi again)
At The Drive In "Invalid Litter Dept." (Surfer)
Nine Inch Nails "Closer" (Shryke)
Foo Fighters "Monkey Wrench" (Shryke again)
Gorillaz "Dare" (a threepeat from Shryke)

My favourite new song goes to Surfer with Slint "Washer" closely followed by Nspan with Burden Brothers "Conditional" and Toadies "Paper Dress", and Six with Modest Mouse "Dramamine".

Preview of next nine in (mostly) chronological order.
1967 - album track from an album that was ranked very high on Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums of all time.
1973 - An iconic brit rock song so good that it astonishingly surged in popularity and returned to UK charts 30 years after it's release (I copied and pasted yours Becs - I think we have the same song coming up).
1977 - single from an American New Wave band.
1978 - single from an Australian post-punk band whose lead singer went on to have a succesful solo career.
1983 - classic song form a UK band that was huge in the independant, alternative, and dance scenes at the time.
1987 - debut single from a short lived alternatinve band whose lead singer went on to have a succesful solo career
1988 - album track from an American alternative band who has featured already in these lists.
2007 - single from an American band that I basically know nothing about
**** - album track from an Irish band who have not yet appeared in this countdown (guess the band this time Six, no year to help you though)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Leestu wrote: **** - album track from an Irish band who have not yet appeared in this countdown (guess the band this time Six, no year to help you though)
Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser. We've already had U2, The Cranberries, The Pogues and The Frames (well, Glen Hansard and his jail bait). I'm guessing they're not a traditional Irish music act. So it could be Thin Lizzy.

Then again, you could be labelling Northern Ireland with Ireland (something we do just to expand on our list of talented musicians!), and if so it could be anyone from Stiff Little Fingers to Therapy to Ash or even Snow Patrol.

Or maybe you're a closet Jedward fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDwAG4EDpDA
Leestu wrote: 1978 - single from an Australian post-punk band whose lead singer went on to have a succesful solo career.
The Birthday Party???

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Oh you are good. It is one of those you mentioned. You'll find out which one tomorrow. And excuse my ignorance in not distinguishing between Ireland and Northern Ireland. I know they are diiferent but when it comes to music they are both Irish to me.
And I do love The Birthday Party but no songs of theirs made my list.

Edit: the link you posted says "video not available" and I do not know who or what Jedward is/are.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

numbersix wrote: Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser. We've already had U2, The Cranberries, The Pogues and The Frames (well, Glen Hansard and his jail bait). I'm guessing they're not a traditional Irish music act. So it could be Thin Lizzy.
The Frames have been listed??? *EDIT: never mind, this is what I get for being a practitioner of delayed gratification and leaving off today's list to last.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm going to go ahead and say it's Snow Patrol, I just have a hunch.

And Jedward, I'm afraid somehow I know even down here, are some kind of freakish double act of twins who appeared on X Factor despite no talent at all but managed to get to pretty much the final I think, largely due to 40+ women wanting to adopt them and bring them up as man babies....

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And now they have a record deal (although I think they were dropped), are selling out in their tour of Ireland, and even are officially sponsored by a kebab franchise. Leetsu, I guess just search for Jedward in Youtube and see what you get. Be afraid.... be VERY afraid.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:And now they have a record deal (although I think they were dropped), are selling out in their tour of Ireland, and even are officially sponsored by a kebab franchise. Leetsu, I guess just search for Jedward in Youtube and see what you get. Be afraid.... be VERY afraid.
Oh my god, that was AWFUL!.
silversurfer19 wrote:I'm going to go ahead and say it's Snow Patrol, I just have a hunch.

And Jedward, I'm afraid somehow I know even down here, are some kind of freakish double act of twins who appeared on X Factor despite no talent at all but managed to get to pretty much the final I think, largely due to 40+ women wanting to adopt them and bring them up as man babies....
Seeing as how there is only a few hours left I'll let you know I don't like Snow Patrol. Ash would have been a better guess. I was listening to a compilation of theirs only a couple of weeks ago. But it's not Ash either.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Irish Black Eyed Peas?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
Leestu wrote: 1978 - single from an Australian post-punk band whose lead singer went on to have a succesful solo career.
The Birthday Party???
Six: See how close you were? I was impressed.