Watchmen Soundtrack

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Watchmen Soundtrack

Post by NSpan »

For people who LIKED Watchmen, what do you think of the film's song selection (and placement)? Do you think it improves or detracts from the movie?

I thought it was a very well-made movie (I realize not everyone agrees), but I thought the music was incredibly distracting upon first viewing. Half of the songs have already been used prominently in some previous film or TV show. It was hard to disconnect my previous associations with the songs and apply them to the context of the film. I mean, I'm watching this modern comic book movie and this Simon & Garfunkel song that I can't mentally separate from The Graduate comes on--and I'm taken out of the Watchmen experience.

HOWEVER... now that I've seen the movie a few times, I think the songs actually kinda work. After a couple viewings, none of the music is unexpected and, therefore, no longer distracting. In fact, I think a few songs are really appropriate choices once you're able to think of them as Watchmen songs.

And, don't lynch me for this, but I don't even hate the Dylan cover so much now that I've heard it so many times.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Watchmen Soundtrack

Post by silversurfer19 »

Some of them hit the mark, some of them are way off. Dylan's The Times Are A Changin' is a perfect complement to the opening motage, but then I still can't get past Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah inserted to the love scene. Overall though, it's not bad, and there are far worse soundtracks around.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Actually, I like the use of Leonard Cohen during the sex scene. I hated the use of My Chemical Romance at the end.

And Jocko Homo by Devo should have been in the film (Devo and the lyric "are we not men" were referenced in the graphic novel).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I don't mind the inclusion of Cohen either. The scene itself was easily one of the weaker portions of the movie, but the song itself isn't as atrocious as people believe. Maybe it's only people who heard cover versions first. I have a friend who had never heard the Rolling Stones' original "Wild Horses" until after she had listened to The Sundays' cover a million times. Inexplicably (in my mind), she still prefers the cover.

And, Surfer, agreed about the Dylan. That was perfect for the montage. But (again) on first viewing, it just didn't click. Felt too obvious.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I am quite a fan of Cohen's version actually, it's just it's positioning within the movie caused it to appear as a kind of joke, which I don't believe was intentional. Half of the theatre I was in were in hysterics when the song came on.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Gotcha. It wasn't a particular highlight of the comic, and it clearly didn't work in the movie. Just sayin' that the music wasn't the sole factor in that scene feeling out of place.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I didnt really like the movie, thought it was ok for watching once, but i really liked the soundtrack, i mean i like the songs, so why wouldnt i like them in the movie, i thought they worked. Also thought the opening montage was great, even if a bit on the nose. and i hated the cohen song being used during the sex scene, that scene was so cringeworthy and audience that I was with also thought it was a LOL moment, when it clearly wasnt supposed to be. Still like the song though

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

When I saw it, most of the audience was silent (there were a few guffaws and chuckles). But then again, they were probably silent from what all they were seeing (hell, a bunch of people brought their children to see it even though many reviews mentioned that it wasn't a movie for children).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

undeadmonkey wrote:i like the songs, so why wouldnt i like them in the movie
well, i like Oingo Boingo's "Bachelor Party" but I don't think I'd like to hear it during the climactic moments of Sophie's Choice......

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I once showed the Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan to people...with Whoomp! There It Is as the soundtrack. Made me realize that even Spielberg edits his movies like music videos.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

NSpan wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:i like the songs, so why wouldnt i like them in the movie
well, i like Oingo Boingo's "Bachelor Party" but I don't think I'd like to hear it during the climactic moments of Sophie's Choice......
i see what you mean. what i was trying to say is that i thought they were appropriate for the film, sorry for my poor choice of words