Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #2): #90-#81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #2): #90-#81

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare wrote:. But I’m just wondering: have you heard this version of the song? As a sneak preview, the group that sings this cover is coming up tomorrow, at #80 (though not with this song).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lEd5bIbbQ
not bad, i just love that song. if anyone could sing a bad cover of this song, they do not deserve to be in the industry
becs wrote:
Leestu wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:
silversurfer
The Black Crowes, “Hard To Handle”

That was pretty good, definitely interested in more. The credits song was fun too, offspring? for a split second i wanted to say fall out boy, never realized how similar they sound.
You just reminded me. I was also going to mention that the song playing over the credits was better than the song itself. Sounded like it might have been Bad Religion or someone of that ilk.
You guys are so fired. Fall out boy? Bad Religon?!! Jesus. Its Offspring's Go Far Kid
haha, hey, i guessed offspring, and you cant deny the resemblance.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare
Enya, “Amarantine”

I don't know, whenever I hear Enya I get images in my head of old people sitting on those terrible chairs in nursing homes alll swaying along as they are listening to Enya. There is just something reeking a little of forecoming death when I hear her....

NSpan
Frank Black, “San Antonio”

Wow, this is very different to any Pixies work I have heard (by the way, I bought Bossanova a couple of days ago and it is in heavy repeat mode, very good album). His voice seems to have matured a little on this, and I would say that there are certainly hints of Alt Country appearing here despite your suggestion that it began in 2005. I think after being a little underwhelmed by Trompe Le Monde (well, compared to Surfer Rose, C'Mon Pilgrim and Doolittle it would be hard to keep that consistency) and having watched a doc. in which Black himself proposed the idea that maybe all his good stuff was within the four Pixies albums I kinda disregarded his solo stuff. I did see them him with The Catholics a few years ago and he was good live, but only now have I realised that I like the music also. Good pick.

Numbersix
!!!, “There's No Fucking Rules, Dude”

I've known about Chk! Chk! Chk! for a while now (because of their name, probably), but never got round to hearing their music. I definitely hear some of The Rapture, as well as some Chili Peppers and even some Modest Mouse for some reason(?) Good song though, and really kicked up a beat around the 5:30 mark before kinda losing my interest around the 7 minute mark. Definitely peaked my interest in them.

Geezer
Simon and Garfunkel, "The Sounds of Silence"

It was better yesterday.

becs
Kent, “Om Du Var Här”
NSpan wrote:When listening, I actually thought this was Surfer's pick. At the time, it made perfect sense. As with most of Surfer's picks, I'm filing away the artist and title name to look back into at a later date. I wasn't head-over-heels with the songs, but there's something about it worth revisiting.
I've known of the band for almost 10 years I think, but never really looked into them properly. They certainly do sound like a band I would like (and I see the SP links) so I may research a little. And NSpan, here I was thinking you didn't like much of my stuff....

undeadmonkey
Rolling Stones/Susan Boyle, “Wild Horses”

I'm with six on this one, if it wasn't for her size she would most certainly not be looked upon in the same way. Her voice is nothing particularly special at all, and I much prefer the original.

leestu
Mudhoney, “Revolution”
(circa 1990)
Considering I love most bands from the same era I have never really listened to Mudhoney, this was good, I'll add them to my Amazon list now.

silversurfer
My Vitriol, “Always: Your Way”

Six, maybe this song isn't the best example, but if you listen to Finelines you would definitely hear some MBV and Slowdive. And obviously I think this is better than most Foos stuff as they are not represented on my list... Glad to see most other liked the song, and for anyone interested in seeking more, they only have one album (and an EP) despite being round for so long so check that out. And Shryke, the lead singer is from Sri Lanka which may explain his, ahem, 'spray tanning'....

Buscemi -- Puff Daddy, “I'll be missing you”
I haven't missed this song in all these years, way overplayed when I was younger and I hate it just as much today.

transformers -- Megadeth, “Hangar 18”
Haven't really listened to any Megadeath, and this wasn't half bad.

W -- Willie Nelson, “Always on My Mind”
Not for me, although one of your better picks...

And for the record I have no Beatles and one Dylan.

Favourites of the round go to NSpan, Leestu and Six.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Believe it or not, I actually have a James Brown song on my list. It's pretty much the only thing that really comes close to R&B on my whole countdown. No Beatles or Elvis, though there are plenty of songs by both that I do enjoy.

No Dylan either, don't like him much. (Though I did consider "One Headlight" featuring the vocals of Jakob Dylan.)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

A brief summary of this round as I have limited time.
I really liked Surfers and Becs picks. I could hear the shoegazer sound in Surfer's and a Radiohead vibe to Becs. They will both be bands I'll look into. I had heard one Kent song before and now I want to hear more.
Nspan's pick was also great. I've only listened to Frank Black's first two albums, and at the time was a bit disappointed. How could they compare to the Pixies? But now with the passing of time I should go back and listen to them on their own merits. I especially liked the guitar in that song.
Six's was fascinating. I reckon I would hear something new every time I listened to it, there's so much to it.
Of course Geezer's pick was good, one Simon and Garfunkel song nearly made my list, and it wasn't this one.
As for W's, I've already said I like Willie Nelson - it's his distinctive voice that stands him apart from most others for me.
UDM I really wish you had have posted the Stones version but it didn't matter as I immediately went and listened to it straight after the Boyle bollocks for some cleansing. At least it provided us with the most entertaining anti-Boyle rant I"ve ever heard from Six. And I was also going to suggest listening to the Sundays version if you must listen to it with a female voice.
As for the others they are just not from genres I really like, but I didn't hate them. Oh, except Buscemi's. I hated that, and probably everything else Puff Dipstick has ever done.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

undeadmonkey wrote:haha, hey, i guessed offspring, and you cant deny the resemblance.
No.. just no. Dexter's voice is so distinct the only band I could even conceive of confusing him with might be some beastie boys songs..
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

numbersix wrote:
Buscemi: Puff Daddy and Faith Evans feat. 112, “I'll Be Missing You” - Another clunker. Where to begin? Okay, firstly I don't feel sorry for Biggie. He was a middle-class kid who thought he could be a gangsta. You play with matches you get burned. So not even the sentiment works for me. And as for everything else... the lyrics are dull if not cliched, PDiddy sounds like he's comatose as opposed to being mournful, the Faith Evans vocals are uninteresting, and the music is just a repeetitive sample of The Police. Boring in every aspect.
Before I give my responses to the songs...

Are you saying Biggie deserved to die?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

becs wrote: No.. just no. Dexter's voice is so distinct
You're right about his voice being distinct. But give the guys a break--it's not like they mistook Neil Young for Frank Sinatra... or Bon Scott for Bob Dylan.
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Are you saying Biggie deserved to die?
Literally THOUSANDS of people have died in gang-related homicides since that time. Are we going to talk about them next? Or do only celebrity deaths matter?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

It has absolutely nothing to do with his "deserving" to die, its thats he made deliberate choices that put him at risk, that makes it pretty impossible to sympathize over his death.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are my highlights of the last ten songs.

FAVORITE SONGS (not posted by me):
Geezer, Foo Fighters, "My Hero"
UDM, Stevie Wonder, "Superstition"
Buscemi, Weird Al Yankovic, "Albuquerque"
leestu, The Church, "Under the Milky Way"
becs, Queen, "I Want to Break Free"
Geezer, Green Day, "Basket Case"

BEST SONGS I'D NEVER HEARD BEFORE:
UDM, The Lovemakers, "Love is Dead"
UDM, Alison Krauss & Union Station, "New Favorite"
NSpan, Pixies, "Cecilia Ann"

RANKING OF OTHERS' LISTS (THIS THREAD)
1. Geezer
2. Becs
3. UDM
4. Leestu
5. Six

RANKING OF OTHERS' LISTS (TOTAL)
1. Geezer
2. Becs
3. UDM
4. Leestu
5. Six

As promised, here is a breakdown of my next ten songs (in order of their release, not in the order they'll appear):

A 1928 classical composition by a French composer.
A 1983 Top 10 hit by a Dutch rock band.
A 1992 song by a long-tenured English pop band.
A 1992 song by a female-led English alternative band.
A 1993 song by an English alt-rock band.
A 1994 song by an American industrial rock-band (with a VERY controversial video).
A 1997 hit song by an American grunge band.
A 2001 song by a long-tenured English alternative-pop-electronic band.
A 2005 hit by an English alt-pop "video" band.
A 2006 song by a female southern-rock artist that was on the soundtrack for a popular animated movie.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

NSpan wrote:
becs wrote: No.. just no. Dexter's voice is so distinct
You're right about his voice being distinct. But give the guys a break--it's not like they mistook Neil Young for Frank Sinatra... or Bon Scott for Bob Dylan.
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Are you saying Biggie deserved to die?
Literally THOUSANDS of people have died in gang-related homicides since that time. Are we going to talk about them next? Or do only celebrity deaths matter?
What the hell are you talking about? Literally THOUSANDS of people have committed suicide, but we don't bring them up if we talk about Kurt Cobain, do we?

I don't really want to get into this, because this has nothing to do with the music. But I was asking Six if he thought that, because it sounded like he was blaming Biggie for his own death, which I think is preposterous.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i'll follow shrykes lead

FAVORITE SONGS (not posted by me):
W Janis Joplin, “Me and Bobby McGee”
Numbersix Johnny Cash, “Folsom Prison Blues”
W The Charlie Daniels Band, “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”

BEST SONGS I'D NEVER HEARD BEFORE:
Shrykespeare Joe Satriani, “Ceremony”
NSpan Pixies, “Cecilia Ann”
silversurfer The Black Crowes, “Hard To Handle”
silversurfer My Vitriol, “Always: Your Way”

and best song that i really didnt like before, but i gave it a chance and must say that i kinda like now
Shrykespeare Led Zeppelin, “Kashmir”

and this breakdown was hard, (and i know who the artists are) no wonder you stopped shryke and( im too lazy to look up the years)

#80 a rock and roll classic, (yes i know that's vague dont know what else to say without giving it away)
#79 a modern classical piece
#78 an alternative southern rock piece
#77 a random song from a band that i cant find much information on and found out about it from a girl who watched a tween movie (ooh i know you all are looking forward to this one)
#76 an oldie from the 50s era
#75 another inspirational song from a more mainstream christian band
#74 another club banger with misspelled words in the title (or misused anyway)
#73 A dance rock fusion released in 2006? from a popular rock band
#72 the first single from an artist that came from a popular 90s band
#71 a small hit single (the only one on my list) from the king of country

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:What the hell are you talking about? Literally THOUSANDS of people have committed suicide, but we don't bring them up if we talk about Kurt Cobain, do we?
Well, personally, I've heard enough speculation on Kurt Cobain's suicide to last a lifetime. So maybe we SHOULD start acknowledging the rest of 'em.

Mostly, I'm just assuming that Six wasn't being entirely insensitive about said murder. If all he was saying is that the drive-by shooting wasn't exactly the most unpredictable, tragic, and unforeseeable event in human history--then I agree with him.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare wrote:
As promised, here is a breakdown of my next ten songs (in order of their release, not in the order they'll appear):

A 1928 classical composition by a French composer.
A 1983 Top 10 hit by a Dutch rock band.
A 1992 song by a long-tenured English pop band.
A 1992 song by a female-led English alternative band.

A 1993 song by an English alt-rock band.
A 1994 song by an American indA ustrial rock-band (with a VERY controversial video).
A 1997 hit song by an American grunge band.

A 2001 song by a long-tenured English alternative-pop-electronic band.
A 2005 hit by an English alt-pop "video" band.
A 2006 song by a female southern-rock artist that was on the soundtrack for a popular animated movie.
I'm looking forward to these 3.

I've been meaning to ask you how you got into the Church. To own the "Starfish" album, half a world away, blows me away. It wouldn't so much nowadays with the internet and 24hour music channels, but back then over 20 years ago!? Anyway it's a great album, and have you heard much of their earlier stuff from before Starfish?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

becs wrote:It has absolutely nothing to do with his "deserving" to die, its thats he made deliberate choices that put him at risk, that makes it pretty impossible to sympathize over his death.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh wait... I didn't!

Anyway, looking back at the last 10 rounds I would say they were gnerally better than the previous 10. Does that suggest an certain objectivity to musical taste? We'll have to wait and see.

My musical sympathies still remain the same, with NSpan having the overall best picks, followed closely by SS (man, if you didn't like all that semi-hardcore college rock you'd be my musical twin) and Leetsu. W, Tranny, and UDM are the ones who surprise me when they post a song I like, and everyone else has good and bad songs. But I'm pretty sure everyone has at some stage been responsible for picking my favourite from the round (Tranny was looking done for until he chose Lounge Act).

Favourite new songs to me are The Sonics' Psycho (SS), Mudhoney's Revolution (Leetsu) and Elf Power's An Old Familiar Scene (NSpan). Extra props to Becs for posting a great classical piece.

In the last 10 rounds one song picked by someone else has made my list, although the original of a cover posted will appear down there somewhere.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh, and a preview of my picks from 79-71

A 2007 Velvet Underground-inspired song from a lauded indie act
A 2004 single from an art-noise act's concept album
A 2002 ballad from a shoegazer trio.
A blistering 2001 single from one of the biggest rock groups of the last decade
A 1995 single from one of the most innovative female artists of the last 20 years.
A witty 1984 song from a classic indie group
A 1978 anthem from a rock legend
A 1972 song from a classic singer-songwriter
A luscious 1969 tune from one of the UK's greatest songwriters