Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

becs
Marty McFly

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Post by becs »

Oi, sorry..
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I have really enjoyed this musical exploration of the last 10 days, and it should only be getting better. Judging from the 90s some of my likes cross over with everyone here, as evidenced by the statistic that every list maker, apart from one, and every number so far, apart from one, has a song or artist from my list. And from what he's picked so far it shouldn't be long before Surfer isn't the odd one out anymore. Nspan has surprised me with all but one of his songs being from the same era, but they are all consistently good. Surfer's picks have also been consistently good. Becs has also had mostly good picks.
Highlight of the 90s for me was Six's pick of Sun Kil Moon. I listen to that song nearly every day now. Other songs I am revisiting are Nspan's The Warlocks & Blue Cheer, UDM's Conor Oberst, and Surfer's Hell Is For Heroes.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

becs wrote: leestu
Muse, “Time Is Running Out”
(2003)
Absolutely love this song! As always Muse delivers an excellent performance. Have you heard the Vitamin String Quartet cover from their Muse tribute album? Its my favorite one they did.
That was excellent. Hadn't heard about it but I'll look into it for sure. A whole album of that would be interesting.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Rundown (all in one place):

Shrykespeare
100 New Order, Blue Monday
99 Weird Al Yankovic, Canadian Idiot
98 ABBA, Super Trouper
97 Elton John, Nikita
96 XTC, Generals and Majors
95 Crowded House, Don't Dream It's Over
94 Disturbed, Stupify
93 Laura Branigan, Self Control
92 Weezer, Say It Ain't So
91 Blancmange, Don't Tell Me

NSpan
100 The Warlocks, Hurricane Heart Attack
99 Zombies, Time of the Season
98 Blind Faith, Can't Find My Way Home
97 George Harrison, If Not For You
96 Led Zeppelin, Misty Mountain Hop
95 Yes, Sweetness
94 Blue Oyster Cult, Then Came the Last Days in May
93 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Almost Cut My Hair
92 Blue Cheer, Summertime Blues
91 Pink Floyd, Mudmen

numbersix
100 Super Furry Animals, Run Christian Run
99 The Guess Who, Shakin' All Over
98 Leonard Cohen, Chelsea Hotel
97 Liquid Liquid, Cavern
96 Ryan Adams, Come Pick Me Up
95 Phil Lynott, Old Town
94 Sun Kil Moon, Blue Orchids
93 Pixies, Velouria
92 Talking Heads, Road to Nowhere
91 Boards of Canada, Music is Math

Geezer
100 Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run
99 Rush, Tom Sawyer
98 Derek and the Dominoes, Layla
97 Against Me!, From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)
96 Green Day, Coming Clean
95 The Offspring, Self Esteem
94 Boston, Peace of Mind
93 Creed, With Arms Wide Open
92 Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sweet Home Alabama
91 Rise Against, Prayer of the Refugee

becs
100 Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps
99 White Stripes, Seven Nation Army
98 Ace of Base, Beautiful Life
97 Tool, Sober
96 Pink, Family Portrait
95 Peter Schilling, Major Tom (Coming Home)
94 30 Seconds to Mars, Beautiful Lie
93 David Bowie, Starman
92 Mindless Self Indulgence, Straight to Video
91 The Used, Buried Myself Alive

undeadmonkey
100 Bob Marley, Three Little Birds
99 Edwin McCain/Sarah Evans, I Could Not Ask For More
98 Michael Jackson, Billie Jean
97 The Calling, Wherever You Will Go
96 Plastic Bertrand, Ca Plane Pour Moi
95 50 Cent, In Da Club
94 Coldplay, Viva La Vida
93 Connor Oberst, NYC - Gone, Gone
92 Cher, Believe
91 Sheryl Crow, Soak Up the Sun

leestu
100 Hunters and Collectors, Throw Your Arms Around Me
99 Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah
98 Nirvana, Negative Creep
97 Mumford and Sons, Little Lion Man
96 You Am I, Heavy Heart
95 Redgum, I Was Only Nineteen
94 Johnny Cash, A Boy Named Sue
93 Sisters of Mercy, Temple of Love
92 Augie March, One Crowded Hour
91 Muse, Time Is Running Out

Buscemi
100 Coolio feat L.V., Gangsta's Paradise
99 Eric Burdon and War, Spill the Wine
98 Seal, Kiss From a Rose
97 Billy Joel, Uptown Girl
96 The Velvet Underground, Sweet Jane
95 The Chi-Lites, Oh Girl
94 Mr. Loco, Hombre Religoso
93 Tenacious D, Double Team
92 Busta Rhymes feat. Janet Jackson, What's It Gonna Be?
91 Keith Mansfield, Funky Fanfare

silversurfer
100 Explosions in the Sky, The Birth and Death of the Day
99 Portishead, Glory Box
98 Hell Is For Heroes, I Can Climb Mountains
97 Biffy Clyro, Justboy
96 The Feelies, Too Far Gone
95 Kula Shaker, Hey Dude
94 Fugazi, Repeater
93 Supergrass, Caught By the Fuzz
92 The Bluetones, If…
91 The Dears, Who Are You, Defenders of the Universe

transformers
100 Motley Crue, Live Wire
99 Nas, New York State of Mind
98 Aerosmith, Sweet Emotion
97 Behemoth, Ov Fire and the Void
96 Alice in Chains, Rooster
95 Metallica, Fight Fire With Fire
94 Atmosphere, Cats Van Bags
93 Van Halen, Eruption
92 Korn, Make Me Bad
91 Slayer, Angel of Death

W
100 Johnny Cash, One Piece at a Time
99 Patsy Cline, Crazy
98 Queen, Another One Bites the Dust
97 Keith Whitley, I'm No Stranger to the Rain
96 Garth Brooks, Friends in Low Places
95 Molly Hatchet, Flirtin' With Disaster
94 Ray Stevens, Mississippi Squirrel Revival
93 Allman Brothers Band, Whipping Post
92 George Jones, The One I Loved Back Then (The Corvette Song)
91 The Doors, Love Me Two Times
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare
Blancmange, “Don’t Tell Me”

It is catchy. Not really my style but a good song nonetheless. I've heard it many times without ever knowing the name of the title or artist.

Numbersix
Boards of Canada, “Music is Math”

Good, but a bit too ambient for my tastes.

Geezer -- Rise Against, “Prayer of the Refugee”
becs -- The Used, “Buried Myself Alive”
Both of these songs kinda sound recycled (maybe even generic?)--but, then again, some of my favorite songs from my formative years are equally guilty of those charges. I just happened to listen to them first. So I see where y'all are coming from, I think.

undeadmonkey
Sheryl Crow, “Soak up the Sun”

I just can't get into Sheryl Crow... At ALL. Maybe it's me.

leestu -- Muse, “Time Is Running Out” (2003)
Love it. People say these guys are derivative of Radiohead (and they are), but that doesn't mean they don't rock like hell. Having seen them live, I think I'd rather see them AGAIN in a small venue than deal with the stadium-sized ordeal that would be a Radiohead show. Also, regarding Floyd, Obscured by Clouds only came out 8 months before Dark Side. You should give the whole album a listen.

Buscemi
Keith Mansfield, “Funky Fanfare”

Ha! Great pick. Alamo Drafthouse has been using this music for as long as I can remember, and it was great to hear it used in Grind House.

silversurfer -- The Dears, “Who Are You, Defenders Of The Universe?”
Liked it.

transformers -- Slayer, “Angel Of Death”
...Dethklok?

W
The Doors, “Love Me Two Times”

Funny, the "spoken word" segment is actually just the lyrics to "The WASP" (one of my favorite Doors' tracks). "Love Me Two Times" is a great track--probably in my top 10 of their work. One Doors song made my Top 100. When it comes around, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

My favorite this round was Leestu, with W as runner-up. Honorable mention to Boosh and Shryke.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

As Six pointed out, I feel like he, myself, surfer, and leestu are all pretty much on the same page (or, at least, reading out of the same book).. for the most part, their picks have been (A) songs that i already know and like or (B) songs that are clearly in my realm of interest.. W and Boosh should be mentioned for filling in some of the quality niche songs that may not have made our lists but certainly deserve to be heard..

that isn't to say that everybody else is playing shit.. in fact, there isn't a single person who hasn't contributed more than a couple amazing songs.. Geez, in a way, reminds me of my own tastes when i was younger.. and, Shryke, reminds me of where my tastes just may end up when i grow older (assuming i lose my mind between now and then ;) )

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Catching up following a bad internet connection for a few days:

Shrykespeare
Blancmange, “Don’t Tell Me”
- Reminded me a lot of The Human League for some reason. Quite liked it, but would probably not be looking into any of their other stuff.

NSpan
Pink Floyd, “Mudmen” (1972)
- I'm much more of a fan of the Syd Barrett orchestrated Floyd, and even then this didn't sound as good as some of their later stuff. Just didn't really stand out for me much at all.

Numbersix
Boards of Canada, “Music is Math”
- I was introduced to this band a while ago because a work colleague of mine was obsessed with them. Generally not a fan of the genre, although I do like Zero 7 and Air, but this just didn't do anything for me.

Geezer
Rise Against, “Prayer of the Refugee”
- Really enjoyed this. Will certainly be looking into more of their stuff.

becs
The Used, “Buried Myself Alive”
- Not bad, but not my favourite track from The Used's debut. I feel they kinda got caught up in the whole emo scene at the beginning of the century though which hindered their progression as everyone was compared to MCR.

undeadmonkey
Sheryl Crow, “Soak up the Sun”
- You are not alone NSpan, I just don't get the appeal at all. This particular song is one of her worst I've heard also. Some horrible lyrics too.

leestu
Muse, “Time Is Running Out” (2003)
- I do like this one, but certainly not one of my favourites from Muse. I think they took a step backward on the album this was taken from, and this song epitomised my consensus of the LP. It's a song which didn't really sound like the Muse I had come to expect of really pushing boundaries. It just sounds a bit too safe, this was done previously on Plug In Baby and was done better. Still if it was any other band I'd think this song was killer.

Buscemi
Keith Mansfield, “Funky Fanfare”
- If it wasn't from a Tarantino soundtrack I don't think I'd care at all for it. It doesn't work as a song on its own.

transformers
Slayer, “Angel Of Death”
- Not a fan.

W
The Doors, “Love Me Two Times”
- I love Morrison's voice, it's just do powerful, like he was from another time or something, and he was wonderfully backed up by the rest of the band. This song is not my favourite of theirs, but it is very, very cool.

Anyway, recapping on the first ten songs from everyone. It's been a really mixed bag, but an enjoyable experience nevertheless. As has already been mentioned I think my style kinda fits in with both Six and Nspan for the most part, although slices of Geez, Becs, Leestu and Shryke have been very welcome. I haven't really heard much from Transformers of UDM to interest me (or even stop me from feeling a little ill in some cases...), but I hold out some hope that I will find something that meshes our tastes quite well.
From age 12 up to about 27, I was so into the current stuff. And as for being "clued in", you have no idea. I bought Billboard magazine every week at the local Tower Records, kept spreadsheets on artists, songs, chart positions, etc. for the Top 100, Top Album/Mainstream Rock, and Top Modern Rock charts. I did this up until the late 90's, after which I finally reached the point where I discovered that there were other things I wanted to do with my spare time...
Man, Shryke. And I thought I was obsessive compulsive when it came to music! I mean, I picked up three music magazines a week when I was in my teens (NME, Kerrang and my favourite, Melody Maker), and probably picked up on average about 4 albums a week, as well as sitting and recording songs from the UK top 40 every Sunday (I managed to get the knack of recognising when a radio DJ would cut in or would trail off a song so that my mix tape didn't get interrupted). But I don't think I ever got to the point of spread sheets!
Our kids (or someone else's kids) will mock us for our trite and tenuous love of "dinosaur" bands, and we'll respond by shaking our canes at them.
[/quote]

I keep telling myself that all this music I have stored over the years will be like an education to my children some day. But deep down I know that no matter how many times I try to force some of my favourite classics down their throats, they are gonna end up listening to some kind of space age/ hip hop/ electronica which I have no understanding of...

Anyway, nice to see some positive comments towards my stuff, I have spent years collecting this stuff, and everytime I play it to anyone I know I get a fairly unanimous booing and "turn this noise off' response. I don't know, do they not know a classic when they hear one??? And it's nice to see I'm introducing some music to some of you too, especially Geez who seems to have liked a lot of my rockier moments so far. I will get around to sending some Biffy stuff over by the way...

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose some fans over the next few weeks though, as some of my music will get a little more extreme in the next batch.

Anyway some of my favourite songs from the last 10 (some I knew very well, others a pleasant introduction):

XTC, Generals and Majors
Weezer, Say It Ain't So
The Warlocks, Hurricane Heart Attack
Leonard Cohen, Chelsea Hotel
Ryan Adams, Come Pick Me Up
Pixies, Velouria
Rise Against, Prayer of the Refugee
Against Me!, From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)
White Stripes, Seven Nation Army
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps
Tool, Sober
Mumford and Sons, Little Lion Man
Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah
Alice in Chains, Rooster

I have subsequently been out to buy albums by XTC, Yes, The Warlocks, Leonard Cohen, Against Me! and Alice In Chains, which I hope will help continue my education of rock n roll (though also playing havoc on my bank balance!). Looking forward to hearing some more good stuff guys.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

it was hard to narrow it down, but my 10 favorite from everybody's #100-#91:

The Velvet Underground, Sweet Jane
Pixies, Velouria
Derek and the Dominoes, Layla
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sweet Home Alabama
Weezer, Say It Ain't So
Leonard Cohen, Chelsea Hotel
XTC, Generals and Majors
Muse, Time Is Running Out
Plastic Bertrand, Ca Plane Pour Moi
Liquid Liquid, Cavern

and honorable mention to Supergrass, Caught By the Fuzz

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

NSpan wrote:

leestu -- Muse, “Time Is Running Out” (2003)
Love it. People say these guys are derivative of Radiohead (and they are), but that doesn't mean they don't rock like hell. Having seen them live, I think I'd rather see them AGAIN in a small venue than deal with the stadium-sized ordeal that would be a Radiohead show. Also, regarding Floyd, Obscured by Clouds only came out 8 months before Dark Side. You should give the whole album a listen.
Apparently Muse have unofficially announced they will be back touring Australia in November and I will make sure I don't miss them this time. They were just here a few months ago but I just couldn't make it.
I probably will give Obscured by Clouds a listen. I've listened to most of their others from that era & before but for no known reason not this one. Speaking of Pink Floyd, I used to have Piper At The Gates Of Dawn on cassette until it was stolen during a party. I haven't heard it since then and I really miss it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#86

Post by NSpan »

NSpan
Blind Faith, “Can't Find My Way Home”
(1969)
For anyone who was intrigued by this pick, but turned off by it being too "old" sounding (or however you crazy kids would describe it): I just stumbled across a cover by Electronic. Stylistically, it's VERY modern. But, somehow, they manage to retain the spirit of the original, and I considered it a pretty straight-forward cover. Perhaps worth checking out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBVz4nhpedc