Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Post by NSpan »

I'm 1/2 German, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 mutt--100% American. But just 'cause I can trace most of my heritage doesn't mean I actually identify with authentic Irish or German culture in any way ('cept maybe the heavy drinking, woo).

Now let's hear some more music, Shrykey! This is fun.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, this came a little later in the afternoon because I've been busy with the conclusion of the Super Leagues, but now it's time for some music. Only two more days before we start this thing in earnest. Can you feel the excitement?!

SONG #102

Shrykespeare
The The, “Jealous of Youth”

It took a LONG time for this song to finally appear on YouTube, and I’m so grateful, as this song is totally awesome. I just love the progression of instruments being featured: following the opening “monologue” in the sinister tones of Matt Johnson, you have a horn, then horn and drums, guitar, then guitar and synth, then back to drums, then drums with a funky bass, and all with an ominous bell clanging at unexpected intervals. The whole thing has such a gritty, street-y feel to it, like it’s the soundtrack of a really cool gumshoe story.

NSpan
The Association “Never My Love”

Masterful song-writing, flawless execution. Would be worthy of even The Zombies' catalogue. It didn't make the cut, but it should be acknowledged for being an example of production-mastery. Hell, Paul McCartney would be proud to have his name on this one. Perhaps the saccharine-sweet vibe (and the unfortunate connection to that beer commercial that ran a few years back) kept it from making the final cut. A pity, really.

Numbersix
Samuel Barber “Adagio for Strings”

This would be much higher up in my list if it hadn’t been (1) ruined by Oliver Stone with that iconic scene in Platoon which I find completely over-the-top, and (2) ruined even more by an awful dance remix by DJ Tiesto. But it’s a beautiful and simple classic piece that’s brimming with sorrow. I’m pretty sure it was used during the news reportage of JFK’s assassination.

Geezer
The Arcade Fire, “Rebellion (Lies)”

I loved this song the first time I heard it. The Arcade Fire are a unique band in that the songs that I like by them, I LOVE, but most of their stuff is so out there that I can't get into it. They have the opposite effect of the Dropkick Murphys. Their singles are standouts to me, but the rest of their collection, I really wouldn't want to listen to. But “Rebellion (Lies)” will always be one of my favorite pieces of music.

becs
Smashing Pumpkins, “1979”

undeadmonkey
Switchfoot, “Enough to Let Me Go”

I think this is the newest song on the list, it was released about 6 months ago. I love the honesty of it.

Leestu will be joining us tomorrow, with his #101.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

1979 is also on my list, Becs. I miss that 1990's sound.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

monkey--haven't listened to much Switchfoot, but this song was nice.. "pleasant" (i think) would be the word to describe it..

becs--more than a couple pumpkins songs were in my preliminary list.. "1979" made it the farthest. good pick!

six--that music is so powerful on its own that i feel like Scorsese's use of it is a bit of a cheat... not to say that directors SHOULDN'T use the best music possible, but (in this case) the accompanying music is more effective than the film itself.. Platoon probably wouldn't be remembered so fondly by so many people had it used different music

Shryke--wacky stuff there.. sounds like the result of Nick Cave and Tom Waits getting together and goofing around in the studio for a couple of days

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Glad you liked it, Span.

I also happen to love becs and six's picks. I'm pretty much ambivalent about the rest.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
The The, “Jealous of Youth”

hah, that's awesome, i liked it,

NSpan
The Association “Never My Love”

couldnt really get into it

Numbersix
Samuel Barber “Adagio for Strings”

like it a lot, I never knew that teisto's adagio for strings was off of an actual composition

Geezer
The Arcade Fire, “Rebellion (Lies)”

liked it as well, although it reminded me of another song, but i couldnt quite put my finger on it

becs
Smashing Pumpkins, “1979”

never been a big pumpkins fan, but i like the song, i;ve heard it before but never knew it was pumpkins

best of this round for me is Six's pick with shryke a close 2nd (not including mine of course, ;) )
Last edited by undeadmonkey on March 30th, 2010, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I can't help but think of the Crash trailer when I hear Adagio For Strings.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

You never knew "1979" was the Pumpkins, UDM? Hmm. I didn't think it was possible to mistake Billy Corgan's voice for anyone else's. That's not a knock, it's just that he has such a distinct voice.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare wrote:You never knew "1979" was the Pumpkins, UDM? Hmm. I didn't think it was possible to mistake Billy Corgan's voice for anyone else's. That's not a knock, it's just that he has such a distinct voice.
nope, well it's just i havent listened to enough pumpkins that i would recognize his voice

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Responses:

Shrykespeare: This has been my favourite of your offerings so far. I have been meaning to listen to The The for years but for one reason or another have never gotten round to it. I love the dark, ominous tones of the music and funnily enough I too heard a lot of Nick Cave in there. I'll certainly be searching more of their stuff out.

NSpan: The music was not so special, but you can certainly see their strengths were their vocal harmonies. Some great melodies in there, just a shame is wasn't backed up so well.

Six: Well, I find it hard to fault a piece of music like this, it really is truly a sombre affair. I've avoided using classical music on my list (as well as soundtracks on the whole) as I didn't want to stretch myself too far. But if I was to do so I'm sure this would have been close to my top 100.

Geez: I'm a big fan of The Arcade Fire, they seemed to breathe some fresh air into popular music a couple of years ago when the charts were being run to death by garage rock acts. This song in particular is also very good. I love the pounding drums which are abley supported by some beautiful stringwork (though it doesn't come close to Barber's achievements in that department), and I love the simplicity of the lyrics. Their stuff which are not singles may not stand out as obviously as tracks like this though, but I think they have so many layers to them that they show their worth.

Becs: The Pumpkins are one of my favourite bands, and I too really love this song. Not enough to make my cut, but it is pretty cool. I love the video which accompanies it too.

UDM: Hmm. Really didn't like this. Far too 'nice' and a little too Christian. I guess they have a huge Church following? Really not my stuff, just way too sacharine for its own good.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

So shryke, you really need to post earlier, it was the highlight of my work day looking forward to these being posted then they never were till I got home *pout*

I think geez's pick was my favorite of this bunch, it wasn't really good or bad at the beginning but by the end i was really kinda digging it.

nspan, i think this should have been somewhere in the neighborhood of songs I like, but I just didn't, i think it was too happy.

six, love quality "classical" music, excellent pick

UDM, definitely a fan of switchfoot, but don't really care for this song

shryke, wow.. that was definitely experimental :D

surfer - while you are absolutely correct that switchfoot is a christian band, what in the world about that song is particularly christian? The song is about love between two people. its a good thing <christian song that will be unnamed due to potential to spark debate> didn't make the cut on my list, if this is too christian.
Last edited by becs on March 30th, 2010, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Surfer: Seek The The out, you won't regret it. I do have one other of their songs on my list, though I won't be posting it for a good long while, it's pretty high up.

Becs: Sorry I can't post it in the mornings, I get up too damn early during the week to go on the computer, and I can't post YouTube stuff from my workplace. I will probably be able to post a lot earlier on weekends.

Six: Good for you for going classical. I do, in fact, have two classical compositions on my list. I debated whether or not to keep them, but they just have too much emotional impact on me for me to not include them.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shryke, tell me again how we're gonna go about this once the Top 100 countdown officially starts. How many songs per-person are you listing per day?

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

while your right about switchfoot being christian band, i never find their songs preachy if thats what you mean, i think some of their songs are inspirational, and everyone needs that every once in a while. ha and i guess just to warn you, I have another switchfoot song coming up soon,

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

One song per day, NSpan. (I want to draw this out as long as I can!) What a terrific summer it will be!

So far we have:

Shrykespeare
NSpan
numbersix
Geezer
becs
undeadmonkey
leestu
Buscemi

I haven't heard from frendo or transformers as to whether they are participating or not. Plus W said he might join later on. I'm hoping that by the time we get to #1, we'll have been joined by at least a few more people. It really is intoxicating, isn't it?