Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time Prelim: #105-#101

Post by Geezer »

Shryke, once again, couldn't get through it.

Span, love the Clash version, hated this one.

Six, didn't like it. Should have been Song 2.

Becs- I like Little Sister, but I hated the rest of that QotS album. No matter, like the track so good choice. You continue to be my favorite.

UDM- not my style at all, but regardless, I liked it.

Leestu- I can't get into the Pixies. I know people say thats weird because I'm such a big Nirvana fan, but I just can't do it. Didn't like it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote: I do like the upbeat tempo of the Nappy roots, although hip-hop really isn't my thing. But I do appreciate that it isn't a typical contemporary hip-hop song that spends its time hammering an aggressive beat and glorifying crime and misogyny. However, I suspect it'll be your picks I disagree with most (at least that's been the case so far). Switchfoot are one of those unbearably boring indie bands that more than likely will have a song during one of the hundreds of "emotional" music-only sequences that feature every 5 minutes in Grey's Anatomy. I hear that song and can almost picture Katherine Heigl walk out of the hospital for the very last time, all in predictable slow motion.

Yea, knowing somewhat before hand what kind of music you guys liked, I realized the kind of music that i like, most of you, would, shall i say, 'disagree' with, i'm grateful that you can at least appreciate my music opinions. Also, even though i like Switchfoot, i can't disagree with you there.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Nspan wrote:
becs wrote:<christian song that will be unnamed due to potential to spark debate>
Flood? Jesus Freak?
Haha, no, Nothing nearly that mainstream. It was by a band created by some members of Christian music's (probably) most popular ska band specifically for the purpose of releasing a series of concept albums (not ska), if you can figure that out who that is, maybe I'll tell you the song! The song in particular really encapsulates alot of my beliefs with a certain perspective that caused alot of division with their fans because its an unpopular opinion in christianity today. However, the one line that I find most moving and straight to the heart of things, I realize could/would be massively misinterpreted or taken out of context by the audience on here. The song in particular didn't make the list because musically it is super simple so I would have included it more due to my attachment to it than due to the actual quality of the song being a favorite, however one of their other songs did make it into my list.
Numbersix wrote:Switchfoot are one of those unbearably boring indie bands that more than likely will have a song during one of the hundreds of "emotional" music-only sequences that feature every 5 minutes in Grey's Anatomy. I hear that song and can almost picture Katherine Heigl walk out of the hospital for the very last time, all in predictable slow motion.
Well, they aren't indie, but I'll semi-agree with you there, they do fall into the same style as bands that have been featured on Grey's ala The Fray. Personally I find alot of their old stuff to be pretty decent (i.e. New Way to Be Human) not great, but that is a legit style that alot of people like. I find them to be somewhat hit or miss on their songs like someone else said, I like Stars and Mess of Me, but not alot of their other stuff, and all of their songs are about 100x better live because they perform entirely different.

Shryke - <3 Thanks for posting early, I've been enjoying running thru all these all morning. And to echo Nspan, thanks for coming up with this idea, its an awesome one!
I of course love your pick and would have never expected this particular song when you mentioned the band! I am having a similar dilemma in regard to covers, in most cases I've gone with the original, but some I may have to include a link to favorite covers, and in one case in particular on a song very high in my list I may have to include both versions.

Numbersix - This was a particularly good round, I really liked everyone's picks but yours was my favorite, I don't think I've ever heard that song from Blur.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Glad you liked it, Becs. What will be fascinating about this countdown is the way our tastes converge and diverge. Some have already been pretty unexpected.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Brave Saint Saturn?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Wow, Geezer hates a lot of the 1990's groups. But then again, he did give praise to the awful Boondock Saints II soundtrack.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Wow, Nspan I can't believe you knew that or were able to look it up. The song title for those not offended by religious zeal, is called Under Bridges
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Hmmm. I didn't mean to spark any kind of suggestion I was anti-Christian with the Switchfoot song. Christian music itself doesn't particularly bother me, its more that a lot of it just sounds a little pedestrian and unoffensive. And I did happen to find the Switchfoot song Christian, but maybe that was just me reading into the lyrics too much, such as "Do you love me enough to let me go" , and "Back from the dead of winter" just sounded as if it could be something to do with Jesus' death and resurrection. But as I said, I may be way off.

Anyway, I've found myself loving quite a few of the songs listed so far, as well as finding others unbearable, but its good to see such variety in tastes and sounds on here.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

This is the quote from the lead singer:
This one started with the guitar hook I came up with during sound-check; however, most of the song took shape in a hotel room in Australia. I was thinking about how love (not just lust or codependency that commonly flood the tunes on the airways) actually involves quite a bit of faith. There's a lot of letting go involved. Two souls in love is an intricate dance of give and take. I can be a fairly solitary person from time to time. Sure, I love being with people, but I also need time alone. I guess I thrive on the poles. So this song is about the dance involved in a relationship the coming together and letting go. The song equates love with breathing- pulling in and releasing. Or a seed, for the seed to grow it has to be dropped and buried.

In our barcode media, love is often portrayed as consumption. As consumers in a commercial driven culture we can begin to view other souls as objects, or potential cures for our deepest fears and insecurities. "Perhaps if I found the right lover I would no longer feel this deep existential despair." But of course no human soul could be the Constant Other, the face that will never go away. Only the infinite can fill that role. But the silence can be deafening. It's a fearful thing to be alone. Do you love me enough to let me go? "I can't live without you"- "I would die if you ever left me"- These are not the songs of love, these are the songs of consumption.
- Donte

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

regarding "under bridges," I don't understand what the controversy would even be... the first four stanzas are Matthew 25:35... in the fifth stanza, Christ is listed amongst "prostitutes, drunkards, rapists, and gays"... so, were people upset about the notion that Jesus would be sympathetic to homosexuals? or (the way i sorta read it) did people get upset that the lyricist would compare being gay to being a rapist?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

I am just now catching up and I am at song number 102. Wasnt even aware this was going as as you may have noticed by my missing profanity and such.

Great stuff so far and some stuff I said WTF to but thats ok. Found a few songs I have never heard and that is always a good thing.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I think of the Christian genre as always being about the same thing and ripping off other musicians in the process (except the ones who really don't take things seriously).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

NSpan wrote:regarding "under bridges," I don't understand what the controversy would even be... the first four stanzas are Matthew 25:35... in the fifth stanza, Christ is listed amongst "prostitutes, drunkards, rapists, and gays"... so, were people upset about the notion that Jesus would be sympathetic to homosexuals? or (the way i sorta read it) did people get upset that the lyricist would compare being gay to being a rapist?
That's pretty much correct, ultimately there is this whole idiotic elitist business to being a christian these days where it involves you somehow being "clean" and projecting the appearance of perfection before you are able to become one of the proverbial fold, that was a bit of a dividing point on this song. Where I see it getting misconstrued is with that same line, is 1) because non-christians see is as offensive to be portrayed a needing a "savior", and 2) because gays are included with those things considered pretty universally to be morally wrong (though I'm sure Don could make a case for drunkards and prostitutes for us ;-))
Buscemi wrote:I think of the Christian genre as always being about the same thing and ripping off other musicians in the process (except the ones who really don't take things seriously).
Christian music isn't a genre, there are christian bands who play music in every conceivable genre. I definitely agree that the stuff that gets press and popularity is often crappy or ripoffs, but thats pretty much the way it works with secular music as well. Christian music has way more quality creative performers out there who those not invested in finding them will never hear of.
Also, I will totally admit, as someone who was almost exclusively exposed to christian music for the first 17 years of my life or so, my list has very very little of it, not because there isn't good music out there but because it was forced, so once I had the freedom to choose I pretty well just dropped it and moved on to catching up on all the other awesome music I'd been missing out on because of it.
- Donte

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I was wondering when you would show up again donte, welcome back

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Here's mine #105-101

Pollution - Limp Bizkit

Yep. I really liked their first album. Whatever they grew into was really something awful, but the first cd I like.

Last Day on Earth - Marilyn Manson

Really underrated artist in my opinion.

Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes - George Jones

Pretty powerful stuff, though not as much as another of his you'll see later.

Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult

My Daughter used to sing this when she was 2.

The Gourds - Gin and Juice

I was always told this was Phish, but it's a band called The Gourds. I'll have to look into them. It's hilarious.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.