Top 100 Songs of all Time

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of all Time

Post by Shrykespeare »

I felt the same way, Six. It's funny that Depeche Mode is one of my three all-time favorite bands, and yet I could only put two of their songs on my list. It's not that I don't love them, I do, but I find that most of their songs fall in the range of "like it" to "love it", but "love it so much it belongs on my all-time list"? Can't do it.

As it stands, the only ones with three songs on my list will be Level 42, UB40 (my other two favorite bands) and Joe Satriani. Oh, and Sting.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:I kinda set myself a limit to the number of songs per artist
I employ that strategy when making mix-tapes... but for this particular endeavor, I feel like it might end up misrepresenting our ACTUAL "100 favorite songs." I mean, why should any one artist be penalized for writing more than three great songs?

this isn't a direct question to you, six... mostly just thinking out loud
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well, I think it also combats a certain tendency I have, and we all probably have, of simply being in the mood for a certain artist at the particular time of compiling the list. By limiting yourself you're kinda forcing yourself to look beyond your particular mood a little more and consider your taste in a broader sense. But of course if you have one or two bands you know you love above and beyond the others (not directed at you or anyone specifically, NSpan), then their domination in a list of 100 by all means makes sense. I'm just not sure if that's the best way to represent my taste. Which is funny, because I'm probably quite limited in my range of tastes compared to some of you guys.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, there's no way I am penalizing a band for writing many amazing songs. It would be simply impossible for me to only go with 3 Nirvana songs. They might very well make up 10% of my whole list, which is now down to 298. Going to make some more cuts tonight.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:It would be simply impossible for me to only go with 3 Nirvana songs.
funny, i just had to cut a bunch of Meat Puppets, David Bowie, and even Vaselines... i wonder if any of their respective covers are showing up on your list

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

narrowing down my hundred hasnt been as hard for me. i have had all my songs rated on my itunes. and yes they do tend to change from time to time, but they are pretty cohesive. i just took into account what i rated the songs and also how many times i've played them. there are songs that i might have rated highly because i thought they were greatly written or etc. but i dont listen to them that often that were cut, and i have some songs that i havent rated as highly but i've listened to them over and over just for fun or to dance to which did make the list.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan wrote:
Geezer wrote:It would be simply impossible for me to only go with 3 Nirvana songs.
funny, i just had to cut a bunch of Meat Puppets, David Bowie, and even Vaselines... i wonder if any of their respective covers are showing up on your list
The only cover that hasn't been cut yet is the cover of the Vaseline's Molly's Lips, so there's a chance!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

180 left... each cut is insanely difficult at this point. I don't want to let go of any of them, and I need to cut nearly half. Shryke why must you attack my greatest weakness of list making... damn you!!!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Ha, I'm down to 285. I was about to post the exact same sentiment, Geez.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Six has sent me his first sixteen, those being actually #105-#90. He couldn't bring himself to cut the final five. So what I might do as a warmup the night before we begin in earnest, is put everyone's "Top Five that didn't quite make it" on display. I'll do it all at once. So far we've got me and six. It's not necessary for everyone to do this, only if you want to.

And Geez, to quote Adrian Monk... you'll thank me later.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

i just had to cut the last remaining Zappa tracks... a pox on you shrykey...

down to 183

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

A pox? Seriously? Well, yo momma's so fat....

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

As insanely difficult as it is, I have narrowed down my iTunes to the top 105 songs. They are in no particular order as of now, but at least I know which songs will be presented to the fantaverse. I think arranging will be a lot easier than cutting.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I found it hard when it came to the Top 10. I mean, how can you easily consider 10 songs to be so great that they're superior to every other song you've heard? What's the criteria for something so abstract? My solution was not to worry so much and just throw down what sprang to mind first, which leaves a rather surprising Number One for me, but I'm sticking with it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I will probably run into the same difficulty, but at least all of these songs get represented in some way.