Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #1): #100-#86

Post by NSpan »

Okay, a crisp $1 to whoever can match up each of those previews to their respective ReelSociety member.
"Undisputed" Rock Classic
One undisputed pop classic (and the biggest hit EVER, chart-wise), from a pop legend.
A #1 hit ballad from the 90's.
A lesser hit by a Hall of Fame band from the 70's/80's.
A supergroup from the 60's.
An album track from one of the most influential bands of the 90's.
A Top 20 hit from a very popular 90's group.
A ballad performed by a Hall of Fame songwriter, one of the most prestigious and prodigious of all time.
A single from a UK post-hardcore group of the previous decade to this one.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

It won't be that hard, NSpan. Hope you've got nine one-dollar-bills handy. ;-)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

is it:

Shrykespeare
NSpan
numbersix
Geezer
becs
undeadmonkey
leestu
Buscemi
silversurfer
transformers2
W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

No, not in that order.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare wrote:It won't be that hard, NSpan. Hope you've got nine one-dollar-bills handy. ;-)
I meant BEFORE you post the videos. but i hope nobody guesses right... saving all these singles for the titty-bar

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I'm posting in a few minutes, so I think you're safe.

And I am so narking to your GF.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

She's the designated driver!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

As we move into the Easter weekend, our little countdown seems to be picking up steam (though I wonder if any but the eleven of us - plus perhaps Donte - are even paying attention). Though truthfully, I wonder how many others even come here that regularly any more. Oh well, c'est la vie.

SONG #98

Shrykespeare
ABBA, “Super Trouper”

Having been exposed to ABBA by nearly every woman who has played a major role in my life (my mother, my sister, my wife), it was inevitable that at least one of their songs would end up here. “Chiquitita”, “Fernando”, “When All Is Said and Done” are among my favorites, though none of them made the cut. Loved ‘em then, love ‘em now. (Doesn’t mean I’ll sit through Mamma Mia more than once, though.)

NSpan
Blind Faith, “Can't Find My Way Home”
(1969)

The band had two-thirds of Cream (Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker)--but Steve Winwood is the star here. The sound is reminiscent of Traffic's "John Barleycorn" (another Winwood composition). For a band that only came out with ONE album, this crew's reputation has endured like few others. The self-titled album is strong from start to finish, but this song is the highlight for me. The video (somewhat oddly) includes two versions--both acoustic and electric. I prefer the first (the acoustic version).

Numbersix
Leonard Cohen “Chelsea Hotel”

A friend of mine once complained that Cohen romanticized his misery, but in a song like this, it sounds like he’s wallowing in his misery and nastiness as if it’s an act of defiance.

Geezer
Derek and the Dominoes, “Layla”

Guitar God Eric Clapton at his finest. I've always thought the piano solo was a little unnecessary, but the guitar work is so amazing that it couldn't possibly slip form my top 100.

becs
Ace of Base, “Beautiful Life”

This is the first of many that are certain to get me laughed at. Ace of Base was one of the very first secular bands I ever heard growing up. I used to hang out at my cousin's house and we would listen to "The Sign", "Don't Turn Around", and "Beautiful Life", and of course sign along at the top of our lungs. I STILL love cheesy dance music like this, I don't know how you can listen to this song and not be happy.

undeadmonkey
Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”

I like Michael Jackson, not the biggest fan like some fanatics, but I cant deny his influence in music and pop culture. This one is my favorite of his.

leestu
Nirvana, “Negative Creep”

One of the earliest grunge songs I heard that made me have to hear more. It has the powerful sound and great screaming vocals that I love in grunge and it remains favourite track from "Bleach".

Buscemi
Seal, “Kiss From A Rose”

Besides being Heidi Klum's husband, Seal is also a good musician. This song was a Grammy Award winner and probably the only good that came out of Batman Forever.

silversurfer
Hell Is For Heroes, “I Can Climb Mountains”

Infectious from note one, “I Can Climb Mountains” showcases what Hell Is For Heroes were put on earth to do...rock! Fisting guitar chords erupt from a gentle intro, building the song into a full-on rock assault. Crafting the melodic pop song with metal tendencies, I got into this band in my early uni years and the album “The Neon Handshake” and this song in particular have just stuck with me ever since.

transformers
Aerosmith, “Sweet Emotion”

This is just an iconic track and deserves every bit of praise it gets. Pure rock and roll at its finest.

W
Queen, “Another One Bites the Dust”

No question about it, this guy was a great entertainer.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The piano solo is the best part of Layla! There's a reason why the song is never cut down for radio and it's the piano solo. It's fucking biblical.

And when I die, Another One Bites The Dust will be my funeral song.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi
Eric Burdon and War, “Spill The Wine”

didnt care for it

silversurfer
Portishead, “Glory Box”

liked it, thought it was fun, the video was funny too

transformers
Nas, “New York State Of Mind”

not a fan

W
Patsy Cline, “Crazy”

you know, i know who patsy cline is, but ive never really listened to her, i liked it

favorite of the round was 6s

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My reactions:

This was an interesting batch, as seven of the other ten songs posted I was extremely familiar with.

NSpan – This is definitely my favorite of the pre-disco-era songs posted thus far. Not sure which version I like better, they’re both good. Nice choice, Spanny!

Six – Did nothing for me.

Geezer – An undisputed classic. I actually prefer the unplugged version, however.

Becs – I like pretty much all of Ace of Base’s hits, including this one. We have good taste, homegirl!

UDM – My favorite song ever by the King of Pop, and on the short list for “Best Video Ever”. Makes me long for the glory days of MTV.

Leestu – Hadn’t heard this track before. A bit too discordant for my tastes.

Buscemi – Ever since “Killer”, I’ve been stuck on Seal. I don’t love this song as much as I used to, but he’s got one of those voices that always tugs at the heartstrings.

Surfer – This was a new one for me. Lots of energy for such an enclosed space! I’d have to hear some more of their stuff, however, before I could fairly judge the band. Based on one hearing, this song was just okay.

Transformers – I love Aerosmith of the ‘70s. And though I applaud their monster comeback starting in 1987, a lot of their songs from that point on just really sounded exactly the same. In fact, I remember an SNL sketch (with Sandler as Tyler) that kind of poked fun at that fact, singing “Cryin’”, “Amazing” and “Crazy” both separately and all smashed together. It was overdone, of course, but it proved its point. Between this, “Dream On” and “Walk This Way”, you really can’t do any better.

W – Another awesome rock classic, proof positive that “this guy” Freddy Mercury was a rock god. Definitely one of the most distinctive bass hooks of all time.

So many good songs this round, it’s tough to pick my fave, so I won’t even try.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
ABBA, “Super Trouper”

hah, my mom loves abba, although i dont exactly hate the group, i didnt like this song

NSpan
Blind Faith, “Can't Find My Way Home”
(1969)
couldnt get into it

Numbersix
Leonard Cohen “Chelsea Hotel”

wow, so depressing, didnt like it, although i would be lying if i said i had no depressing songs on my itunes, they would be less than 5% maybe even less than one. and all that i do have, have some sort of emotional meaning attached to them. when i listen to music i like to have fun or dance or such, maybe that would explain my top 100 choices

Geezer
Derek and the Dominoes, “Layla”

not bad, never heard them before, sorta liked it, but it was really long.

becs
Ace of Base, “Beautiful Life”

hehe, really liked it, I've heard of ace of base before and heard a few songs. although i cant really get into them, its fun to listen to

leestu
Nirvana, “Negative Creep”

sorry i just cant do nirvana or grunge in particular, nirvana is my best friends favorite band, but i just cant get into them

Buscemi
Seal, “Kiss From A Rose”

didnt like it. grammy award winner for what.

silversurfer
Hell Is For Heroes, “I Can Climb Mountains”

i thought it was pretty catchy until the guy opened his mouth, then it ruined it for me.

transformers
Aerosmith, “Sweet Emotion”

i like some aerosmith, although not this one, but the video was funny

W
Queen, “Another One Bites the Dust”

fun stuff

nothing really stood out, but i guess i would pic becs for favorite of the round

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Only one new-to-me track this round... And my opinion on it is somewhere between Shryke's and Monkey's.

Favorites were Six and Geez.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shryke - I don't do ABBA, except I won't normally turn the radio if "Take a Chance on Me" comes on. ESPN's Mike & Mike and their NFL OLineman buddy Mark Schlereth love them, though.

NSpan - I have loved anything that Clapton has been involved in and this is no different. I like Geezer's Clapton better this round, though and I could go with either version of Layla depending on the mood.

Six - Reminded me of Bob Dylan, who is hit or miss with me... This one was a miss, but I should probably check out some other ones of his.

Becs - I couldn't listen to the entire thing (I've heard it many times before) or it would probably get stuck in my head and possibly do some brain damage. It's one of those super catchy things that I'm not particularly a fan of, but could listen to if I had to. I will be the one getting laughed at during track #96. Not that I'm laughing now...

UDM - Practically all MJ I would listen to, but not actively seek out.

Leestu - I'm a fan of all Nirvana. I do like the Muddy Banks version better, though.

Buscemi - Great vocals on that one, but I just can't get into it anymore (I used to).

Tranny - Pretty much all old Aerosmith is good.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

What a bizarre mix...

Shryke
Sorry pal, but if there's one band in this world that I hate pretty much every song, it's ABBA. At least you didn't pick Fernando, don't think I could handle that. I do appreciate your courage for posting it, though. I imagine many of us here wouldn't post it if they did like it.

NSpan
Once again you're educating me with your vast musical taste. Never heard of them (although I do like Cream), and I really like that song. The acoustic version is the best.

Geezer
A great pick. It's another classic, although I can't help but think of that brilliant montage in Goodfellas when I hear it. Also the opening riff was used for a Formula 1 TV show in the UK for years. Damn mass media.

Becs
You're right about the laughing. Just look at the video! The best I can say about this song is that it brought back some childhood memories.

UDM
I agree, it's certainly one of MJ's best. Did you know the guy who directed that music video is Irish?

Leetsu
Not a bad Nirvana song, but I think they became a lot better after Bleach, when they found an angle to their sound. This just sounds like another 80's hardcore act.

Buscemi
I think the song is overly sentimental and the production is way OTT. I notice a trend in your musical tastes, in that they're often linked to films. Is that true?

SS
I liked the intro to the song but once the more "poppy" element came into it, I lost interest. There seems to be a lot of bands like Hell is For Heroes around, who I would broadly label as college-rock. I don't know why, but for me that describes that mix of metal and pop. Only most of that kind of music doesn't rock enough because it undermines itself with it pop melody, yet the pop melody isn't developed enough to make it catchy. So it's in a sort of limbo.

Tranny
I'm not a fan of Aerosmith, and while there's interesting things going on in this song, I'm pretty ambivalent about it.

W
I appreciate Queen (loved them when I was 10), but that is one of my least favourite of theirs. It just seems like a lazily written anthem, but even for Queen that still makes the song good.

Ah and Shryke, it's totally my fault but the song is called Chealsea Hotel #2. I don't think a #1 was ever recorded, but I think the point is that this is just one of many indiscretions old Lenny got up to. I happened to stay in that hotel when I was in NY 2 years ago. Grotty place, but nice people.