Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Post by Shrykespeare »

englishozzy wrote:Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)
Not a bad song, kinda makes me want to listen to more stuff from these guys :) any songs you recommend?
:shock:

Oy.

That's gonna require some thought, dude, DM has been around for thirty years. They've put out over 20 albums, including live and compliation records, and they've had almost 50 singles. Their first four albums were very good, but it was their "Black Celebration" album that they finally took it to a new level, continuing with "Music For the Masses". They hit their peak in the 90's with their awesome, awesome "Violator" album, and continuing with "Ultra". As for what songs I recommend, listening to the following will really show you their evolution:

Just Can't Get Enough
Everything Counts
Master and Servant
Blaspemous Rumours
Fly on the Windscreen
A Question of Lust
Stripped
Never Let Me Down Again
Behind the Wheel
World in My Eyes
Enjoy the Silence
Policy of Truth
In Your Room
Barrel of a Gun
It's No Good
Useless
Freelove
When the Body Speaks
I Feel Loved

But really, these songs only scratch the surface, they've had so much good stuff it's scary. I'd be interested in hearing what you (and others) think.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001) - I was a fan of Depeche Mode in the 80's, but "I Feel You" was probably the last song of theirs that I've liked, although I admit I haven't heard many after this. This was alright though and better than I expected. And I still love their 80's era.

NSpan -- The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” (1965) - Hadn't heard this one before. Pretty cool!

Numbersix -- Bjork, “Hyperballad” - Absolutely great vocals in this song and so I really do like it, but I could never get over the dance or electronic music enough for it to be one of my most liked.

Geezer -- Sugarcult, "Memory"- Hey this was okay. Didn't mind it at all.

becs -- The Cranberries, “Zombie” - Always good to hear this again. Love her accent in this. I only really like their first two albums though.

undeadmonkey -- George Strait, "Run" - Happy Birthday UDM!

Buscemi -- The Doors, “L.A. Woman” - Great to have a Doors double. Love this song too.

silversurfer -- At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.” - Bloody awesome. I never tire of listening to this song. Highlight of the round.

transformers -- The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum” - I enjoyed this. Not too heavy, more rock.

W -- David Alan Coe, “The Ride” - I liked the story and lyrics enough to like the song. I didn't expect that.

Banks -- Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre” - I like some rap, but it needs to be good quality, like this. A good song in my opinion.

englishozzy -- Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag” - A great song that gives all nerds and geeks hope. I love it. I still have the CD single from when it came out.

BarcaRulz -- Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside" - One of the better RHCP songs. It'll probably stay stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

Damn fine round this round with lots of good songs.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)- I wasn't a fan. Don't expect to like the other DM songs either.

NSpan -- The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” (1965)- only really like a handful of Stones songs, this really wasn't one of them.

Numbersix -- Bjork, “Hyperballad”- "Different" does not always equal "good." I think Span and Six get these two things confused some time. The opposite is also true, in that "the same" does not always equal "bad." But hey, to each his own.

becs -- The Cranberries, “Zombie”- So, so good. You continue to impress.

undeadmonkey -- George Strait, "Run"- eh, its country.

leestu -- The Doors, “The End” (1967)- amazing song.

Buscemi -- The Doors, “L.A. Woman”- excellent choice, definitely one of the better doors songs, and better than the others you mentioned.

silversurfer -- At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”- not a huge fan of the "talking over music for a whole song" thing... but if they got away from that I think they could be pretty good, because i really liked the chorus and other singing parts?

transformers -- The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”- really not a fan at all

W -- David Alan Coe, “The Ride”- man you REALLY like Hank Williams.

Banks -- Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”- definitely a strong beat, but again, my ears can't pick up the lyrics for the most part, which well, is all rap is, so I can't get it. But for rap, its not terrible, and you should consider that a victory.

englishozzy -- Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag”- I LOVE this song!!!!! It reminds of a simpler time. When this came out it was all over the radio and I loved it whenever it was played. You WIN!

BarcaRulz -- Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside"- I'm not the biggest Peppers fan, but this is one of their best songs.

Ozzy, becs, Surfer, Barca and the two Doors songs highlight the round, but Ozzy definitely won with Teenage Dirtbag.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001) - I lost track of Depeche mode going into the noughties. No idea why, because there's really good stuff on Ultra. This song isn't bad, I appreciate that it's subtle, though I'm not sure if it's grabbing the way some of their other stuff does. Gahan's voices is as excellent as always.

NSpan: The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” (1965) - That was solid blue from the Stones, but I prefer them a tad older when they were writing their own stuff and blowing the world away.

Geezer:Sugarcult, "Memory" - Nothing wrong with likeing a catchy song, but I forgot everything about this song the second it finished.

becs: The Cranberries, “Zombie” - Obviously, this song strikes a chord (no pun intended. Okay, well, a little) with me. It was a massive hit in Ireland, partlye due to its subject matter. It came at a time when peace talks seemed to be useless, and it was great to have everyone expressing a need for peace regardless of background. I find i hard to distance myself from it and comment objectively on whether it's a good song or not. All

undeadmonkey (aka Birthday Boy): George Strait, "Run" - The dreaded slide guitar attacks again. Not my kinda country.

leestu: The Doors, “The End” (1967)
Buscemi: The Doors, “L.A. Woman”
Dear God, not one but two over-elaborate rambling Doors songs, lasting 17 MINUTES in total. Fortunately they're two of the few I can stomach, once I try to ignore how bad Morrisson's lyrics are. I prefer LA Woman slightly more because I like its rhythm. There's also something to be said about the mysterious, psychadelic aura of The End. But they both go on for too long and slide into a hole of self-indulgence that frankly bores me.

silversurfer: At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”
transformers: The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”
These are two well-reviewed bands that many of my friends liked that I just never got around to listening to. And both I actually liked. ATDI have the slight edge, I loved the guitar work in it. But Dillinger rocked pretty hard and it was entertaining enough, so I'm glad you guys picked them.

W: David Alan Coe, “The Ride” - I liked the vocals, but hated the overall production, especially the backing singers. I'm sure I'd prefer the original more.

Banks:Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre” - The beat is cool, although it has been used in every single MTV reality show that upon hearing it I expected to have to choose which contestent would be sent home this week. But the lyrics are so arrogant. It's basically al about how great he is. Good for you, Dre. Pat yourself on the back.

englishozzy: Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag” - This shouldn't even have been a one hit wonder. A silly song with one of the most annoying vocals I've ever heard.

BarcaRulz: Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside" - This is typical of RHCP's MOR phase that they're currently in. But as MOR goes, this is pretty damn good.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote: Numbersix -- Bjork, “Hyperballad”- "Different" does not always equal "good." I think Span and Six get these two things confused some time. The opposite is also true, in that "the same" does not always equal "bad." But hey, to each his own.
IF that were ture NSpan and I would be posting things like a An African folk artist's album that's just 75 minutes of the sound of a camel's tail whipping an armpit. Or Brian Eno's solo stuff. Besides, most of NSpan's stuff has been classic rock and bands inspired by classic rock and blues. Nothing "different" about that.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:Shrykespeare: Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001) - I lost track of Depeche mode going into the noughties. No idea why, because there's really good stuff on Ultra. This song isn't bad, I appreciate that it's subtle, though I'm not sure if it's grabbing the way some of their other stuff does. Gahan's voices is as excellent as always.

englishozzy: Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag” - This shouldn't even have been a one hit wonder. A silly song with one of the most annoying vocals I've ever heard.
Well, "Exciter" came out in 2001, and it did have a few good songs. "Playing the Angel" only had one or two, and I haven't gotten around to sampling anything from their latest album. They've mellowed considerably since the early 90's, which I guess is only natural, though they continue to sell out to huge crowds wherever they go. I'm just glad David was able to finally kick that heroin habit that's dogged him for much of his musical career.

And regarding Wheatus, you thing his voice is annoying? I DARE you to listen to "Push Th' Little Daisies" by Ween, or anything by Public Image Ltd. That's like nails on chalkboard.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hah, I actually like some PIL's stuff, especially Metal Box. Whetus's singer voice is in a whole different ball-park of annoying.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:Numbersix -- Bjork, “Hyperballad”- "Different" does not always equal "good." I think Span and Six get these two things confused some time.
Funny... After looking over the latest recap, I actually thought to myself I might be criticized for playing it TOO straight. I mean--Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rolling Stones, THE BEATLES?? I'm not exactly going against the grain here. I feel more like the only "traditionalist" in the joint.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Most annoying voice: that high-pitched whiny guy who seems to show up in every rap collaboration.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

*Shrykespeare
Depeche Mode, “Freelove”
(2001)
Oh man, I am still wondering how your list isn't my overall favorite, you have great taste (some of the time) my friend! One of these days I just need to buy every album of theirs and shut myself away and listen to it all because they have so many great songs I've never heard (i'm sure). This was exceptional, never heard it before, but you will find this band featured a couple times in the 2nd half, admittedly though I prefer their songs being more dramatic while this was pretty mellow.

NSpan
The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl”
(1965)
hmm, meh?

Numbersix
Bjork, “Hyperballad”

A great track, I love the kind of soft dance beat and the song flows along, Bjork is really an enigma to me, I find that I either absolutely love or absolutely hate her songs, there is no in between.

Geezer
Sugarcult, "Memory"

I like this song, I hear it all the time and it's recognizable but not one I would ever seek out to listen to I think.

undeadmonkey (aka Birthday Boy)
George Strait, "Run"

Meh.

leestu
The Doors, “The End”
(1967)
Didn't really like it, there was too much just banging around to the music.

Buscemi
The Doors, “L.A. Woman”

I really like the intro to the song, but other than that its just okay.

*silversurfer
At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”

I think the only word to describe this is Powerful. From the 5 minute mark on just WOW. Loved it.

transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”

Hah, haven't thought about these guys in a long time. I liked it.

W
David Alan Coe, “The Ride”

Not as bad as I expected ;-)

Banks
Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”

Sorry, but that was disgusting, both the song and the video. How can you listen/watch and think it's acceptable/okay to condone much less glorify that kind of behavior?
So what do you say to somebody you hate
Or anybody tryna bring trouble your way
Wanna resolve things in a bloodier way
Just study your tape of NWA.
One day I was walkin by
Wit a walkmen on
When I caught a guy givin me an awkward eye
And strangled him off in the parkin lot wit his Karl Kani
I don't give a fuck if it's dark or not
I'm harder than me tryna park a Dodge
But I'm drunk as fuck
Right next to a humungous truck in a two car garage
Hoppin out wit two broken legs tryna walk it off
Fuck you too bitch call the cops
I'ma kill you and them loud ass muthafuckin barkin dogs
And when the cops came through
Me and Dre stood next to a burnt down house
Wit a can full of gas and a hand full of matches
And still weren't found out
From here on out it's the Chronic 2
Startin today and tomorrows the new
And I'm still loco enough
To choke you to death wit a Charleston chew

englishozzy
Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag”

I like this song but it's been WAY overplayed, so its hard to even listen to objectively anymore.
Edit: @ whoever was saying they like this track but don't know of any others by the band, check out Lemonade, it gained enough fame that you would probably recognize it upon hearing, but even if not its still a nice little track, some days I probably even like it more than Teenage Dirtbag.

BarcaRulz
Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside"

I enjoy RHCP but not enough that they would ever come close to my top 100, but they are darned reliable if you just want something fun to listen to any time. This is definitely my favorite of their songs anyway, so excellent pick!
Last edited by becs on April 30th, 2010, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:Most annoying voice: that high-pitched whiny guy who seems to show up in every rap collaboration.
Eazy-E?

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Shrykespeare wrote:
englishozzy wrote:Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)
Not a bad song, kinda makes me want to listen to more stuff from these guys :) any songs you recommend?
:shock:

Oy.

That's gonna require some thought, dude, DM has been around for thirty years. They've put out over 20 albums, including live and compliation records, and they've had almost 50 singles. Their first four albums were very good, but it was their "Black Celebration" album that they finally took it to a new level, continuing with "Music For the Masses". They hit their peak in the 90's with their awesome, awesome "Violator" album, and continuing with "Ultra". As for what songs I recommend, listening to the following will really show you their evolution:

Just Can't Get Enough
Everything Counts
Master and Servant
Blaspemous Rumours
Fly on the Windscreen
A Question of Lust
Stripped
Never Let Me Down Again
Behind the Wheel
World in My Eyes
Enjoy the Silence
Policy of Truth
In Your Room
Barrel of a Gun
It's No Good
Useless
Freelove
When the Body Speaks
I Feel Loved

But really, these songs only scratch the surface, they've had so much good stuff it's scary. I'd be interested in hearing what you (and others) think.
2/3 of my DM selections are in this list, and I'm frankly a little alarmed at the fact that the 3rd is missing, however it is coming up in just over 2 weeks so we will have to chat about why you didn't consider it worthy then.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)
I've probably not heard enough of these guys to have an informed opinion on them. They were a band I heard sporadically during the 90s and I was always interested in their stuff but never sought it out. I have now added Ultra to my Amazon wish list and hope to check it out in the near future, as this was pretty cool.

NSpan -- The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” (1965)
It strummed along okay, but didn't really stand out among some of the Stones' better songs.

Numbersix -- Bjork, “Hyperballad”
I've only ever owned Debut of hers, which certainly had it's moments but has never made me want to seek out more of her stuff. Not as good as some of the highlights of that record, but decent enough and her voice is stunning, I can't deny that.

Geezer -- Sugarcult, "Memory"
So many other bands sound exactly the same, I couldn't differentiate this from the likes of New Found Glory, Sum 41 and Blink 182.

becs -- The Cranberries, “Zombie”
Man, the amount of times I've heard this song, I should hate it, but I don't. It is a very decent song in fact.

undeadmonkey -- George Strait, "Run"
I'll be nice because it's your birthday....... That is all.

leestu -- The Doors, “The End” (1967)
Definitely my favourite from The Doors, but not good enough to make my list.

Buscemi -- The Doors, “L.A. Woman”
Decent enough but nothing special for me.

silversurfer -- At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”
I kinda knew before I even sent this song in that the likes of NSpan, Six, and Leestu would appreciate this, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear becs enjoyed it as well, as beyond those guys, I thought this would receive widespread damnation.

transformers -- The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”
I think the only stuff I'd heard of their's before was very, very heavy and I didn't really get into it, but this was almost pop! I actually liked it very much, good pick!

W -- David Alan Coe, “The Ride”
I'm sure it's just your intention to wear us all down with some country so that by the time we reach your final ten we will all love every one of your favourites. Or maybe you will spin us on our heads and present us with some grindcore metal....

Banks -- Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”
I'm not a fan of this at all, the only song I can even bear which has anything to do with Eminem is Lose Yourself, and this doesn't come close to that.

EnglishOzzy -- Wheatus, "Teenage Dirtbag"
I'm with six, his voice really, really grinds on me. Other than that, an overplayed song which isn't as good as people thought it was all those years ago.

BarcaRulz -- Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside"
Not my favourite song of theirs, but it sits well on the Chili's best album. I think I prefer Californication, though.

Favourite of the round was transformers, though I did enjoy becs and Shryke's picks.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)
I dont think i've ever heard a DM song, I liked it. His voice is pretty god just like you said, looking forward for your other songs.

NSpan -- The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” (1965)
not one of the stones songs that i like.

Numbersix -- Bjork, “Hyperballad”
it held my attention, either how weird it was or how different, not sure but in the end, i didnt get it.

Geezer -- Sugarcult, "Memory"
i found your description funny, because that explains a lot of my songs, yet you fault me for it. it seems like you forget that what someone finds catchy is objectionable. that being said, the song wasnt too bad, but it could of been any simple plan or sum 41 song. not that it's a bad thing in and of itself, just saying.

becs -- The Cranberries, “Zombie”
didnt like it, and not because it was political. just couldnt hold my attention. where's she from, i couldnt quite catch where here accent was from.

leestu -- The Doors, “The End” (1967)
how many doors songs is that now. either way still not a fan. are they kind of a stones wannabe band, or is that just me?

silversurfer -- At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”
juarez is a scary place, i've been there quite a few times. and if you ever go there, be just as wary of the police as random person in an alley way. See i dont mind these kind of political songs, that bring attention to something that needs help and attention from other. that being said, i didnt like the song. just couldnt get into it. he wasn't really singing for the most part, kinda talking.

transformers -- The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”
at least the video was interesting. couldnt get into the song

W -- David Alan Coe, “The Ride”
couldnt get into it either. too much talking as well.

Banks -- Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”
i kinda liked the violins in the beginning, and was expecting a more classical sample in the song, but that didnt happen, instead we get a toilet flushing. also couldnt get into this song. i do enjoy some of eminem's solo stuff though

englishozzy -- Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag”
i've never heard it before, and i'm glad i hadnt. ;)

BarcaRulz -- Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside"
ooh, i really like some red hot chili peppers, but that being said, i only kinda like this song, i think they have much better

not too great a round for me. shryke had the only song that i kinda liked :D. bring on the next round

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

undeadmonkey wrote:leestu -- The Doors, “The End” (1967)
how many doors songs is that now. either way still not a fan. are they kind of a stones wannabe band, or is that just me?
No, that's Aerosmith.