Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Post by englishozzy »

Sorry computer crashed last night just as i was about to post :s

Shrykespeare - Foo Fighters, “Monkey Wrench” (1997)
Very good song, narrowly missed out of my list but it is good to see people are preferring their older stuff compared to what they are doing now.
NSpan - Black Sabbath, “Into The Void” (1971)
Never really been a fan of Black Sabbath but this song was not bad.
Numbersix - The White Stripes, “Fell in Love with a Girl”
I quite like Jack White as a musician (i feel the James Bond theme tune was underated), pretty good song.
Geezer - The Goo Goo Dolls, "Iris"
You wont get too much stick from me but the song has been overplayed to death on the radio for me to enjoy it anymore.
becs - Tool, “Schism”
As i said last round, this is my favourite Tool song, didnt quite make my list but glad it was on somebody else's :) Great pick.
undeadmonkey - Gwen Stefani, “What You Waiting For”
Not a fan of Gwen outside of No Doubt.
leestu - The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For The Devil” (1968)
Probably get stick for this but i think i prefer Guns n Roses version :s
Buscemi - Herbie Hancock, “Rockit”
hmmmm strange :s
silversurfer - Slint, “Washer”
Had nothing in it for me. Easily forgettable.
transformers - The Clash, “London Calling”
To be honest i haven't heard much from this band but it was not a bad song :)
W - Aerosmith, “Dream On”
Great song :) have it on my list somewhere so will have to find an alternative video hehe
Banks - G-Dep feat Diddy, Black Rob, “Let’s Get It”
Yeah not a fan of this music, sorry.
BarcaRulz - Jamin Winans, "John’s Walk"
It was OK, just felt to me that i was waiting for the song to lead up to something :s
"Then telephone for an axe"

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

englishozzy wrote:leestu - The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For The Devil” (1968)

Didn't even know they did a version. I might youtube it. I really, really doubt it'll be better but I'll see.
NSpan wrote:
In terms of The Clash, we're definitely moving in the right direction. Classic song. I wonder if we'll see "Train in Vain," "Straight to Hell," or "Lost in the Supermarket" on anyone's list? PS. I always seem to find myself listening to The Specials after listening to the Clash (or vice-versa). Anyone see where I'm comin' from with that?
Yeah they definitely have a ska sound/influence to a lot of their songs. Especially "Bank Robber" and some of the London Calling album tracks like "Rudie Can't Fail" and Surfer's "The Right Profile".

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:
englishozzy wrote:leestu - The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For The Devil” (1968)
Didn't even know they did a version. I might youtube it. I really, really doubt it'll be better but I'll see.
Noooo! Save yourself the pain! (You heard it at the end of Interview With the Vampire anyway)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNDEADMONKEY!

Today’s lineup marks three things: the end of our third thread, the first time since we started that we’ve had the same artist represented twice on the same day, and the first time we’ve heard a Chili Peppers song chosen. (I was wondering when we’d get one.)

SONG #71

Shrykespeare
Depeche Mode, “Freelove”
(2001)

The first of three songs by DM, and the most recent of the bunch. Though they will never top “Violator” in sheer musical awesomeness, this bluesy, sexy song perfectly showcases David Gahan’s amazing voice, and the down-home Bayou feel of the video is a perfect fit for Martin Gore’s sultry synthesizer. I’m kind of glad this song stands out, because there were a fewer good songs on “Exciter” than the one before it (“Ultra”), and they’ve almost gotten to the point where they’re just not that interesting anymore. And you just hate to see that happen to one of your all-time favorite groups… it’s like your childhood athletic hero playing until he’s way past his prime. Still, “When the Body Speaks” is a simply gorgeous tune, and “I Feel Loved” recaptures that old 90’s underground “rave” feel.

(Here you go, six, just as you requested)

NSpan
The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl”
(1965)

Surprisingly written by duo Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller (famous for "Stand by Me," "Hound Dog," "Love Potion No. 9," "Jailhouse Rock," etc.), this song is a perfect fit for The Rolling Stones' love-affair with American blues and country (fellow Brits, The Kinks, had a similar fascination with the American South). The track has great guitar twang, fun/misogynistic (those are synonyms, right?) lyrics, and some killer vocals. For people who already know this song by heart, Old Crow Medicine Show does a respectable cover here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJhlM6W4uhk.

Numbersix
Bjork, “Hyperballad”

Bjork is the kind of musician I can only listen to a handful of songs at a time and I get sick of her. But I can’t deny that she deserves respect for being so experimental with her sound. This song is a perfect example of what she did well: an interesting Plath-like tale of a woman imagining throwing herself off a cliff in order to feel “safe again” when she returns home to her lover each day; soaring vocals; and music which manages to incorporate elements of dance and electronic into a pop song.

Geezer
Sugarcult, "Memory"

I'm a sucker for songs that have a hook that is catchy beyond belief. This song certainly qualifies for that. So say what you will about it, I don't care with this one. They are a fun band, and I think you should know by now that I like fun bands. I don't always take my music so seriously, and it shouldn't be. Sometimes you just want a song that can get stuck in your head for days, and you don't actually mind it. This song definitely qualifies for that, and whenever I hear it, I crank the volume and sing along.

becs
The Cranberries, “Zombie”

Sorry to those of you who hate political songs, but I just love this one. Dolores sings so hauntingly and with such urgency, I could ultimately pick any of their hits, but this one hangs in my head whenever I hear it. Sadly (to me anyway) during this time they had a more edge almost punk vibe I wish they would have explored, but instead as time progressed they became more pop-ish, so I really don't like newer songs, but during this time (mid 90s) almost every song was brilliant.

undeadmonkey (aka Birthday Boy)
George Strait, "Run"

I think it's a sweet song and just so 'pure'. Hehe. I really like the music.

leestu
The Doors, “The End”
(1967)

An opus from the Doors with an almost hypnotic beginning, multi-mini-musical climaxes and crescendos, and a descent into musical insanity. All of which make it an experience to listen to. For the record I prefer the original album version but could only find it on YouTube with helicopters added and in 2 parts.

Buscemi
The Doors, “L.A. Woman”

Picking a Doors song was hard to do. “Light My Fire” was too overexposed, “Break On Through” reminded me too much of Mike Nelson's opinion on the song (he said Jim Morrison's voice sounded like someone's dad taking an enormous shit) and a lot of the earlier stuff reminded me too much of how fucked up Jim Morrison really was. So I went with this track that came out the same year that Morrison died. Actually makes you think good things about the guy.

silversurfer
At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”

I first saw these playing a tiny little tent at a festival in the late 90s, but it was packed to the rafters after gaining a cult following for their live shows. Blending surreal lyrics with unorthodox guitar melodies and unpredictable shifts in tempo, they were one of my favourite bands to appear in the late 90s. I believe the song itself is about a series of rapes and murders which occurred in Juarez, Mexico, and the message is delivered to powerful effect in this epic song which is packed full of emotions. Although a big fan of both The Mars Volta and Sparta, I don't think either band has quiet achieve this greatness.

transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”

A really interesting and unique track from one of metal's finest acts. The music video is also really well done.

W
David Alan Coe, “The Ride”

There's quite a few tributes to Hank Williams out there, but lyrically I believe this one is the best.

Banks
Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”

I remember spending countless lunch periods in 8th grade trying to memorize Eminem’s hook. It’s more of Eminem’s song than Dre’s, but both of them kill this track – mostly because Dre was being ghost-written by Jay-Z around this time. Plus that beat is mesmerizing.

englishozzy
Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag”

Will probably get a lot of stick for this song, but there is something about this song that has stuck with me all this time. More of a one-hit-wonder than anything but still a good song for me.

(MODERATOR’S NOTE: I had to replace this with a different video because the one Ozzy sent me was “not available”.)

BarcaRulz
Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside"

I am a fan of RHCP, but there's songs are usually more short-term fads for me, this however has stuck with me for the long haul. I love the lyrics, and I love the relaxed 'rock' tones in it (which you'll see is probably my preferred genre as it dominates alot of my list).

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNDEADMONKEY!

When Shryke hinted that there would be two songs from the same artist, I actually assumed it'd be someone else (in addition to myself) playing the Stones. Instead, The Doors came as a bit of a surprise.

Shrykespeare -- Depeche Mode, “Freelove” (2001)
NSpan -- The Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” (1965)
Numbersix -- Bjork, “Hyperballad”
Geezer -- Sugarcult, "Memory"
becs -- The Cranberries, “Zombie”
undeadmonkey -- George Strait, "Run"
leestu -- The Doors, “The End” (1967)
Buscemi -- The Doors, “L.A. Woman”
silversurfer -- At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.”
transformers -- The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum”
W -- David Alan Coe, “The Ride”
Banks -- Dr. Dre feat Eminem, “Forgot About Dre”
englishozzy -- Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag”
BarcaRulz -- Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Otherside"

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

LOL my choices always stick out like a sore thumb

I'll do my responses in the morning....
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Not much middle ground today.

My reactions (in order of preference):

englishozzy – Wheatus, “Teenage Dirtbag” – Oh, ozzy, why couldn’t you have joined us at #100? Five songs in, and I have yet to dislike anything you’ve put up. And not only will I not give you “stick”, I’ll say that I LOVE this song. It’s so adorable, in a juvenile but endearing way. A fine, simple anthem to teenage awkwardness with some pretty good guitar work. I couldn’t name even one other Wheatus song, but that’s okay. (Now we’ll both get stick, I’m sure.)

becs – The Cranberries, “Zombie” – I love the Cranberries, and this song in particular. It’s not my VERY favorite (that one is going to be in the Top 50, and no, probably not the song you think), but it’s up there. I bought their first three CD’s, and while I think they never did better than “Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?”, they had a good run of it. I just love Dolores O’Riordan’s voice. Did I hear that they reunited last year?

Buscemi – The Doors, “L.A. Woman” – Easily my favorite Doors song, which I learned to like even more because of Billy Idol’s cover. Very good choice.

Geezer – Sugarcult, “Memory” – I quite liked this, so you get no guff from me.

leestu – The Doors, “The End” – Another pretty good Doors song. Good lyrics, just too long for me.

transformers – The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Black Bubblegum” – Never heard of this group. Don’t know if I would QUITE label them as “metal”, though, they seem to skirt the edge between that and “hard rock” a little too closely… of course, I haven’t heard any of their other stuff, so maybe I’m way wrong. Still a decent song, though.

NSpan – Rolling Stones, “Down Home Girl” – Don’t remember ever hearing this one before. Not too shabby.

BarcaRulz – Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Otherside” – I, too, am hit or miss with RHCP. This one is just okay for me.

W – David Allan Coe, “Ride” – Not a fan.

numbersix – Bjork, “Hyperballad” – I agree with you wholeheartedly about Bjork. About the only songs I can listen to repeatedly are “Army of Me” and “Big Time Sensuality”, and only just.

undeadmonkey – George Strait, “Run” – Well, I loved your last four outings, so I won’t give you a hard time about this one. I just don’t like country.

Banks – Dr. Dre feat. Eminem, “Forget About Dre” – Sorry, Banks. Dr. Dre’s dead, he’s locked in my basement. Along with this song. (Just kidding, partially. I actually have an Eminem song coming up later. No, really, I do.
And this isn’t it.)

silversurfer – At the Drive-In, “Invalid Litter Dept.” – liked the guitars okay, but hated the vocals.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Since this is the end of this thread of new music, here's a recap of everyone's list in the last ten days:

Shrykespeare
80. The Sundays, What Do You Think?
79. Jesus Jones, The Right Decision
78. Maurice Ravel, Bolero
77. Sheryl Crow, Real Gone
76. Erasure, Breath of Life
75. Nine Inch Nails, Closer
74. Golden Earring, Twilight Zone
73. Gorillaz, Dare
72. Foo Fighters, Monkey Wrench
71. Depeche Mode, Freelove

NSpan
80. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Down on the Corner
79. The Beatles, When I'm 64
78. Toadies, Paper Dress
77. Burden Brothers, Conditional
76. Traffic, The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
75. Yardbirds, The Train Kept A Rollin
74. The Byrds, You Ain't Going Nowhere
73. Sam Cooke, You Send Me
72. Black Sabbath, Into the Void
71. The Rolling Stones, Down Home Girl

numbersix
80. Modest Mouse, Dramamine
79. Liars, There's Always Room on the Broom
78. Neil Young, Old Man
77. LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends
76. Low, Little Argument With Myself
75. The Smiths, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
74. Nick Drake, River Man
73. Bruce Springsteen, Badlands
72. The White Stripes, Fell in Love With a Girl
71. Bjork, Hyperballad

Geezer
80. Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode
79. Reel Big Fish, Ban the Tube Top
78. Nirvana, In Bloom
77. The Gaslight Anthem, We Came to Dance
76. Incubus, Pardon Me
75. AC/DC, Back in Black
74. The Killers, Mr. Brightside
73. The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again
72. Goo Goo Dolls, Iris
71. Sugarcult, Memory

becs
80. Portishead, Glory Box
79. Stavesacre, Rivers Underneath
78. Muse, Undisclosed Desires
77. David Bowie, Changes
76. My Chemical Romance, Headfirst for Halos
75. No Doubt, Sunday Morning
74. The Offspring, The Kids Aren't Alright
73. Green Day, Basket Case
72. Tool, Schism
71. The Cranberries, Zombie

undeadmonkey
80. Elvis Presley, All Shook Up
79. Howard Shore, Concerning Hobbits
78. Carolina Liars, Show Me What I'm Looking For
77. Empty Trash, Shades of Love
76. Del Shannon, Runaway
75. Reliant K, Who I Am Hates Who I've Been
74. Timbaland, The Way I Are
73. Good Charlotte, Dance Floor Anthem
72. Gwen Stefani, What You Waiting For
71. George Strait, Run

leestu
80. Coldplay, Yellow
79. The Ramones, Blitzkreig Bop
78. Happy Mondays, Kinky Afro
77. Prodigy, Breathe
76. The Pogues, And the Band Played Waltzing Mathilda
75. The Killers, All These Things I Have Done
74. Billy Bragg, Levi Stubbs' Tears
73. Foo Fighters, Everlong
72. The Rolling Stones, Sympathy For the Devil
71. The Doors, The End

Buscemi
80. Simon & Garfunkel, The Boxer
79. Wesley Willis, They Threw Me Out of Church
78. Clarence Carter, Strokin'
77. Weezer, Buddy Holly
76. Santa Esmeralda, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
75. Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll
74. Bobby Womack, Across 110th Street
73. Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah
72. Herbie Hancock, Rockit
71. The Doors, L.A. Woman

silversurfer
80. Garbage, Queer
79. Quicksand, Fazer
78. James, Laid
77. The Stone Roses, I Am the Resurrection
76. Soulwax, Much Against Everyone's Advice
75. Led Zeppelin, Immigrant Song
74. The Clash, The Right Profile
73. Weezer, Only in Dreams
72. Slint, Washer
71. At the Drive-In, Invalid Litter Dept.

transformers
80. Black Sabbath, Electric Funeral
79. Pearl Jam, Black
78. Between the Buried and Me, Desert of Song
77. Iron Maiden, 2 Minutes to Midnight
76. Jimi Hendrix, If 6 Was 9
75. Metallica, Ride the Lightning
74. The Black Dahlia Murder, Black Valor
73. Tool, Jambi
72. The Clash, London Calling
71. The Dillinger Escape Plan, Black Bubblegum

W
80. Bob Marley and the Wailers, Three Little Birds
79. Hank Williams Jr., Family Tradition
78. R.E.M., Man On the Moon
77. George Jones, He Stopped Loving Her Today
76. AC/DC, Let There Be Rock
75. Rolling Stones, Sympathy For the Devil
74. George Thorogood, Cocaine Blues
73. The Doors, Peace Frog
72. Aerosmith, Dream On
71. David Allan Coe, The Ride

Banks
80. Mya feat. Pras & ODB, Ghetto Superstar
79. Mariah Carey, Hero
78. Faith Evans, You Used to Love Me
77. Fall Out Boy, This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
76. Talib Kweli, Get By
75. Dolly Parton, Jolene
74. Al Green, Love & Happiness
73. Nelly & Tim McGraw, Over and Over
72. G-Dep feat. Diddy & Black Rob, Let's Get It
71. Dr. Dre feat. Eminem, Forgot About Dre

englishozzy
75. Kansas, Carry On My Wayward Son
74. Within Temptation, Stand My Ground
73. Embrace, Nature's Law
72. Biffy Clyro, Mountains
71. Wheatus, Teenage Dirtbag

BarcaRulz
72. Jamin Winans, Johns Walk
71. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Otherside

I'll give my "Best Of This Thread" along with a preview of my NEXT ten songs sometime Friday.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys. dont worry about it banks, im glad your on the list, i can always count on you bringing something different. it's interesting all the rantings against popular music, yet their music that is most popular, ;)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

When I was a stoned 16-year old, this song was amazing. Nowadays (being a stoned 27-year old), it just doesn't have the same impact. Though, I'll admit it now, I'm a sucker for The Doors' longest and most indulgent songs.

A moderately-epic masterpiece. Mr. Mojo Risin' isn't the poet he thought himself to be--but Robby Krieger is one of rock's greatest talents.

This is the track that really got me into these guys. I was aware of them (being local Texas boys), but I had never really paid that much attention. I heard this song on my buddy's cassette player in his car on a mixtape between Black Star and the Hieroglyphics. Good stuff. Agreed that, as great as Mars Volta is, they never recaptured At the Drive-In's highest highs.

This is new to me. And I kinda like it.

I'm a fan, and I can't say I know this one too well. Might give it a couple more listens.

This played in the background at enough parties around the end of my high-school days that I suppose I have some nostalgia for it. But that's about the best I can say about it.

I wasn't really listening to modern stuff when it came out, so I can't even give it the points for nostalgia. BUT--my gf made a point of saying that she likes this song. So, points for that.

Love me some Chili Peppers. Blood Sugar Sex Magick (the album) is my favorite, but this works too!

more to come

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:
In terms of The Clash, we're definitely moving in the right direction. Classic song. I wonder if we'll see "Train in Vain," "Straight to Hell," or "Lost in the Supermarket" on anyone's list? PS. I always seem to find myself listening to The Specials after listening to the Clash (or vice-versa). Anyone see where I'm comin' from with that?
Sure do. All you have to do is listen to Guns of Brixton and Ghost Town back to back, and you'll see the connection instantly.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:
NSpan wrote: transformers - The Clash, “London Calling”
Sure do. All you have to do is listen to Guns of Brixton and Ghost Town back to back, and you'll see the connection instantly.
Exactly. But, strangely, I know a bunch of people who claim to love The Clash but seem to have no interest in The Specials.......

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I didn't intentionally leave these specific tracks for last--just took Shryke's advice and listened in a different order. My across-the-board response? Yipes.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Not a bad song, kinda makes me want to listen to more stuff from these guys :) any songs you recommend?
Not a fan of Rolling Stones and could'nt get into this song.
Sorry was a bit too wierd for me, never really liked Bjork though.
It was OK, sounds like most of the bands on the radio atm. Hinder comes to mind :s
Recognised this song but didn't know who sang it. Very good :)
Sorry not my sort of music :s
Couldn't get into this song :s (kinda got scared of that dude dancing in the top left during the video :s)
Again, not a Doors fan, didn't really do anything for me.
Had some good parts but overall would'nt listen to it again.
Heard a couple of songs from these guys before, not bad.
Not for me.
It was OK, prefer Enimem in this than anything he does on his own.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers is very hit and miss for me, i need to be in the right mood to listen to them, although i do appreciate their style of music. Quite liked this song though :)
"Then telephone for an axe"

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Like it, don't love it.
---

Love the Stones, not so much this song though.
---

Not a fan of Bjork, and while I can stand some of her songs, this is not one of them.
---

Fun song. I don't mind this kind of catchy tune.
---

I love this song, and i'm not just saying that. This had a really profound effect on me. I first heard it when I was 10 and I actually liked it, as I got older the meaning of the song started becoming clearer and I liked it even more for that. Features much higher on my list.
---

[southern accent]Country really aint my thing, only like a handful of 'em[/southern accent]
---

Not a big fan of The Doors.
---

Again, not a big fan of The Doors. Although this one I don't mind listening to.
---

Don't really like the style. The instrumental part was nice, but the vocals just ruined that for me.
---

Not a bad choice, liked it.
---

Not really what I like.
---

I don't like many rap songs, and this is not one of them.
---

Another choice of yours that was on my shortlist. Really like it.