Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#11

Post by Shrykespeare »

It's beginning to look like #10 won't be happening tonight. I'm still missing those songs from four people: Frendo, leestu, becs and Banks.

Maybe one extra day of badgering will help.

I'll be going to the Diamondbacks game tonight (please, no comment -- I'm going less for the game than for the fireworks show afterwards), so I may not get back in until late. If everyone's #10s are in my inbox, I'll still post tonight.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Come on people! Get your asses in gear!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I was going to suggest we wait to take a short breather until just before #5 (so that we could ensure that everybody is caught up for the top five)... but I guess 4th of July weekend isn't the best time to expect everybody to be available.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

I will always have my songs, at very least on time. my next two are sento shryke. I am admittedly barely keeping up though, I've been painfully busy the past several weeks.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Song #12

Shrykespeare: Sarah McLachlan, “Sweet Surrender” (1997) - Much better than the last one. Not enough to win me over, but it's easy enough to listen to on a rainy Sunday afternoon like today.

NSpan: The Beatles, “Here Comes the Sun” (1969) - Well I don't have the benefit of listening to this in the sun, as I just mentioned its pouring down. However, that doesn't prevent me from appreciating this classic. Any reason Lennon took no part in the song? Was this an indication of the end in sight? Anyway, a delightful feel good song with nice jangly guitars.

Numbersix: Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980) - We were talking recently about famous intro's surely this is one of them, the way those keyboards bleed into the song are amazing. Anyway, despite it's obvious awesomeness, it's not one of my absolute favourite Joy Division songs, but pretty high up there. My favourite song from the band is still to come, however.

Geezer: ***Eve 6, “Inside Out”*** - Catchy enough, but easily forgettable for me. I doubt I will even remember the song this time next week. Six, I also get the similarity to the band you are thinking of, I'll try and give it some thought as to who it might be.

becs: David Bowie, “Moonage Daydream” - Not a Bowie song I'm familiar with, Ziggy Stardust is still a record on my wish list which I haven't picked up yet, but this along with a few of his more well known songs from that album really push me to going and picking it up as soon as possible. Have to save up some money first though since the last spending spree.

undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Si Te Vas” - I dunno, maybe her stuff just isn't for me. Not as grating as some of her work, but didn't really appeal to me either.

leestu: ***Bauhaus, “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”*** (1979) - To be honest I only really thought Bauhaus were a collection of architects from Germany in the early half of the 20th Century, but this was interesting. Very Joy Division. This has stuck in my head since I first listened to the song for the song competition over a week or so ago. So there is definitely something there.

Buscemi: ***Black Sabbath, “Iron Man” - Brilliant song. Not as good as War Pigs IMO, but still a kick ass song and the perfect accompaniment to Favreau's movie. Absolutely killer riff.

transformers: Nirvana, “Lithium” - Really did not see this song getting THIS much respect. Great song though.

W: ***The Allman Brothers' Band, “Jessica”*** - I've known of these guys for a long time now, and I guess I should really look into more of their work. An interesting song with lots of interesting guitar work. May have to listen to it and a number of other songs of theirs to decide if they are worth buying into though.

Banks: Jay-Z, “Song Cry” - Sorry pal, this was just a little boring.

englishozzy: System of a Down, “Chop Suey” (also leestu's #47) - Still one of their best songs.

BarcaRulz: Oasis, “Some Might Say” - I'd almost forgotten about this song entirely. Definitely one of the better songs.

Ron Burgundy: ***Mstrkrft, “Heartbreaker”*** - This is the guy from DFA? Man, what a step down. They were a kick ass band with awesome beats and some terrific drumming. This was just like every other electro indie act that we see on music stations every day.

Chienfantome: Neil Young, “Philadelphia” - Delightful. I recently picked up After The Goldrush which has really turned me onto his work, and this matches most of that record. It also reminded me a little of Mercury Rev too.

Frendo: Nonphixion, “CIA's Still Trying to Kill Me”- Not bad at all. I'm not usually someone who mixes hip hop with rock, but this seems to work well. May even like this better than your Ill Bill pick.

Not a bad round as we approach our top tens. Highlights were six, becs, Leestu, Buscemi and Chien.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
Midnight Oil, “Truganini”
(1993)
not my thing. Wasn't terrible, good enough to listen to once, but i wouldnt really want to listen to it again.

NSpan
The Velvet Underground, “Walk and Talk”

why would it blow your mind if they do a cover? i guess i dont understand it. The song wasn't bad, had an interesting charm to it.

Numbersix
Henryk Gorecki, Olden Style Piece #3
(1963)
deep is right. I really liked it. I really wish I knew more about classical music as i love to listen to it when it's good and this was amazing. I'll use it in one of my films if it hasn't been done by the time I actually have the chance to make a film. I did like the softer parts better than the louder parts though.

Geezer
Against Me!, “Cliche Guevara”

i'm not down, but you knew that already.

becs
Live, “Dolphin's Cry”

lol, well i didnt find it romantic or sensual, but I think I got the hope part. Nice song, i liked it.

silversurfer
Smashing Pumpkins, “Thru The Eyes Of Ruby”
(1995)
i didn't like this song. So far I've at least been able to enjoy all the pumpkins songs, but i actually found this one annoying.

transformers
The Clash, “Guns Of Brixton”

didn't hate it. It had some interesting random stuff in it, sounded like a cartoon at some parts.

W
Eric Clapton, “Tears in Heaven”

that's sad. never heard the song before, but it was nice.

Banks
Common, “Misunderstood”

it was catchy enough. One of the better rap songs you've posted.

englishozzy
Nightwish, “Nemo”

loved the paino. and yea, i can't tell the difference from evanescence, but I don't think that's a bad thing, i like evanescence.

BarcaRulz
Frijid Pink, “House of the Rising Sun”

I had never heard the song before SS posted it by the animals. I loved his version and I didn't think this one held a candle to that version.

Ron Burgundy
The Temper Trap, “Fader”

it was alright. I enjoyed the video more though. the hanging lights were cool

Chienfantome
The Verve, “The Drugs Don’t Work”

i love this song! I never knew who sang it, thanks for letting me know!

Frendo
Rites of Spring, “For Want Of”

i didn't get much enjoyment out of it.

Shrykespeare
Thomas Dolby, “Quantum Mechanic”
(1994)
interesting. I liked it for what it was but would never really look it up myself. still fun and catchy though.

NSpan
Pink Floyd, “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”
(1975)
sorry, i so did not listen to it all, it was almost half an hour. i did however listen to the first video which was about 8 minutes. I'm sure I got the gist of it. Again, i just don't see the appeal. It's music that you hear when you get put on hold just a tad more produced and mellow.

Numbersix
The Velvet Underground, “Venus in Furs”
(1967) (also leestu's #63)
didn't like it before. A second listen didn't change my mind.

Geezer
Rise Against, “Behind Closed Doors”

one of the better RA songs you've posted. but still not my still or anything i would put on my ipod. I have to find room for songs as it is. :D

becs
Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome”
(also transformers' #51)
I like other songs of theirs much better, but i did like your explanation of the song and it made me appreciate it more.

leestu
The Cat Empire, “The Chariot”
(2004)
the cat empire, what an awesome unique name. I also enjoyed the song, great pick, will look more into them.

Buscemi
Joe Tex, “I Gotcha”

lol

silversurfer
Echo And The Bunnymen, “The Killing Moon”
(1984)
interesting, not really my thing, but i enjoyed it. Will have to see if it holds up with multiple listens.

transformers
Mastodon, “The Czar”

mastodon is just not for me. and if you can get 'gorgeous' and 'stirring' 'music' out of this, then all the more power to ya.

W
Rage Against the Machine, “Bulls on Parade”
(also Ron Burgundy's #26)
oy

Banks
Jay-Z feat Freeway, “What We Do”

you know i really like some hip hop and RnB and even some rap but i can't stand JayZ

englishozzy
Coldplay, “Clocks”

While this song would never go anywhere near my top 100, i love it. I think the only reason i don't consider it so high is because i don't have (or can't get) an emotional attachment and all. The music is lovely and stirring and the lyrics are interesting, but after hearing it, I never really want to hear it again right away. Either way, still a good pick.

BarcaRulz
Journey, “Don't Stop Believin'”
(also Geezer's #18)
nice! im sure i don't need to reiterate my spiel from before.

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, “Airbag”

to be honest, i've never heard of Radiohead before this countdown. Whole I've enjoyed some songs other's I haven't, this one is more in the latter category.

Chienfantome
Simon & Garfunkel, “The Sounds of Silence”
(also undeadmonkey's #85, becs' #82 and Geezer's #81)
awesome song! There's nothing wrong with getting most of your music from films and I still need to see The Graduate!

Frendo
Pantera, “Walk”

not for me.

Shrykespeare
***Tori Amos, “Caught a Lite Sneeze”***
(1996)
never heard it before, and i really liked it, very emotional

NSpan
The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
(also undeadmonkey's #21)
yes! greatness! interested in what your favorite is by them though.

Numbersix
Bob Dylan, “Ballad of a Thin Man”
(1965) (also silversurfer's #20)
dont feel much different about it than before.

Geezer
The Gaslight Anthem, “The '59 Sound”

i enjoyed the other songs you posted by them, and I liked this one too. I think you've made me into a fan. I'm going to look more into them.

becs
Weezer, “Pork and Beans”
(also BarcaRulz's #34)
not one of my favorite Weezer songs, still not bad though

silversurfer
The Kinks, “You Really Got Me”
(1964)
was short sweet and catchy, nice song.

transformers
Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Breaking The Girl”

from all the RHCP songs you've posted they have been very different than my favorite of them. not an awful song though.

Banks
***Ray Charles, “Georgia On My Mind”***

loved it!

englishozzy
Green Day, “Holiday”

to be honest, I actually kinda like this song while hating Green Day. It's just so catchy.

BarcaRulz
Nirvana, “Lithium”
(also Ron Burgundy's #50, W's #44, and Geezer's #30)
nope and nope and nope again.

Chienfantome
Elbow, “Grounds for Divorce”

that was pretty catchy, will see if it holds up with repeat listens.

Frendo
***Hole, “Doll Parts”***

i heard them play on leno or letterman a little while ago and they were so bad, so i was expecting something awful, but this wasnt terrible.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:NSpan: The Beatles, “Here Comes the Sun” (1969) - Any reason Lennon took no part in the song?
John was recovering from an auto-accident. His non-attendance was nothing personal.
undeadmonkey wrote:NSpan The Velvet Underground, “Walk and Talk”
why would it blow your mind if they do a cover? i guess i dont understand it. The song wasn't bad, had an interesting charm to it.
The fact of it being a cover isn't what blows my mind. The fact that VELVET UNDERGROUND would cover STEELY DAN just sounds odd to me. It's like hearing that your favorite Nirvana song is actually a cover of Devo. Would that not be weird?
NSpan Pink Floyd, “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” (1975)
sorry, i so did not listen to it all, it was almost half an hour. i did however listen to the first video which was about 8 minutes. I'm sure I got the gist of it. Again, i just don't see the appeal. It's music that you hear when you get put on hold just a tad more produced and mellow.
Too bad you didn't get to hear it. It really is a beautiful and moving piece of work. Oh, and it even rocks for a little bit too.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #12

Shrykespeare
Sarah McLachlan, “Sweet Surrender”
(1997)
Another sweet an beautiful song I love to sing along to.

NSpan
The Beatles, “Here Comes the Sun”
(1969)
A very nice and solid song musically from these guys, but they've done better.

Numbersix
Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart”
(1980) (also Buscemi's #39)
I guess I must have heard a different version of this, because it sounds like a bad cover.

Geezer
***Eve 6, “Inside Out”***

Love this song, not sure what else to say. "wanna put my tender heart in a blender, wanna spin around to a beautiful oblivion" super catchy.

undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Si Te Vas”

Okay, I'm somewhat disturbed, but I actually liked most of this one.

leestu
***Bauhaus, “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”***
(1979)
*Note: I blacked out at this point last night, so I think your song had some scary mind altering effect... or I drank WAY too much. Probably the latter.
Anyway, I think I could probably like the band, but the song took way too long to get going and then only half delivered on being interesting. Some definitely good aspects though.

Buscemi
***Black Sabbath, “Iron Man”

The song is a classic definitely good, if a bit simplistic.

silversurfer
The Stooges, “Search And Destroy”
(1973)
Don't think I've heard this before, but I really enjoyed it up till the end where the singer degraded to squeaks and squawks.

transformers
Nirvana, “Lithium”
(also Ron Burgundy's #50, W's #44, Geezer's #30 and BarcaRulz's #14)
I have no problem with this being the most popular song of the countdown. Not my favorite Nirvana song, but one of their best for sure.

W
***The Allman Brothers' Band, “Jessica”***

Yep, I still don't like country.

Banks
Jay-Z, “Song Cry”

Sounds like a guy who can't sing talking to music...

englishozzy
System of a Down, “Chop Suey”
(also leestu's #47)
Still a great song, one of my favorites from them.

BarcaRulz
Oasis, “Some Might Say”

eh, there are worse things, but I am still just not a fan.

Ron Burgundy
***Mstrkrft, “Heartbreaker”***

Well that was great, really liked it alot.

Chienfantome
Neil Young, “Philadelphia”

This song is definitely overflowing with spleen! Didn't really like it though, IMO the Springsteen song was better.

Frendo
Nonphixion, “CIA's Still Trying to Kill Me”

I was REALLY expecting not to like it, but I totally did. Great intro especially.
- Donte

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #11

Shrykespeare
Kraftwerk, “Neon Lights”

I know and like these guys for unknown reason, I doubt I could honestly name a song of theirs. However, this song was enjoyable albeit incredibly over long.

NSpan
Bob Dylan, “Positively 4th Street”
(1965)
As with virtually every Dylan song posted to date, it was good but not amazing for me.w

Numbersix
***Stiff Little Fingers, “Suspect Device”***
(1979)
So very angry... I loved it!

Geezer
Nirvana, “Drain You”

A great and very underrated song, I agree! For me though not in their top 5 songs, they just have too many that are more dynamic.

undeadmonkey
Dishwalla, “Candleburn”

I definitely loved these guys for a couple of their well known songs, but never really dug into their full catalog.
This was extremely moving and beautiful, and wow who knew he could sing like that???

leestu
Jane’s Addiction, “Jane Says”
(1988)
I obviously as well am a lover of the 90s alt rock, nothing wrong with that! Great band, great song, just not as good to me as Been Caught stealing. Gotta love the steeldrum in the background though. Having the lyrics on screen was good, I always sort of knew what it was about, but never really got the full depth till now of how sad it is.

Buscemi
The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For the Devil”
(also W's #75 and leestu's #72)
still a true classic, good song.

silversurfer
Manic Street Preachers, “Faster”
(1994)
Woah, that was pretty epic. The beat was great, and how they managed to come up with such a lyrical tongue twister i can't imagine, but I really liked it.

transformers
***Jedi Mind Tricks, “Uncommon Valor (A Vietnam Story)”***

Very haunting, amazingly creative lyrics, and a great backing track.

W
The Beatles (w/ Eric Clapton), “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

not the kind of song I go to when I think of these guys, but it was good although it went on a bit long.

englishozzy
***Placebo, “Twenty Years”***

Absolutely love this song! Surprised to see it here but glad it is. I've always loved the "them's the breaks, for we designer fakes" line in this song.

BarcaRulz
***Fuel, "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)”***

Great song, this is another one that was in my shooter games listening mix years back, love it.

Ron Burgundy
R.E.M., “Losing My Religion”
(also BarcaRulz's #62 and becs' #21)
Obviously, I absolutely love this song as well, excellent taste sir!

Chienfantome
***Amy Winehouse, “Back to Black”***
(also Banks' #18)
Surprise! I woulda never guessed this coming from you. I still really like the song, as long as I don't have to look at her.

Frendo
R.E.M., “Drive”

Definitely not their best work, but it is as usual a good listen and true to their wonderful distinct style.
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: Kraftwerk, “Neon Lights” (1978) - Not something I'd generally listen to. Very 80s vibe, which is to be expected from your picks, although there is something definitely very absorbing about the song. So it's not bad, just not something I'd really listen to on a regular basis.

NSpan: Bob Dylan, “Positively 4th Street” (1965) - Not a Dylan song I'm overly familiar with, I think I've heard the song before as the tune seems familiar, but not something I can say I have a good knowledge of. Anyway, very, very good song. The lyrics did indeed seem to hint, at least for me, to Dylan going electric, but as you mentioned, it is not specifically mentioned so it could be a number of things. It may even be a swipe a journalists who used him to write a story, acting the friend etc. If so it would seem a perfect accompaniment to my own pick, Ballad Of A Thin Man, a really scathing attack with which Dylan vents all his bile.

Numbersix: ***Stiff Little Fingers, “Suspect Device”*** (1979) - Wow, after Shryke's rather ambient opener we've had to very angry songs. This was very full on, highly energetic stuff and pretty addictive. I've heard a couple of SLF songs now on this countdown and it's definitely something I want to explore further. I'd probably say I prefer Leestu's Johnny Was though over this.

Geezer: Nirvana, “Drain You” - Great song, one I'd actually forgotten about. I love it when the instrumental part kicks in, that is just rock at its best. Brilliant song.

becs: U2, “Sunday Bloody Sunday” - A song I definitely considered when picking my own U2 song, probably in my top 5 songs of theirs, so powerful lyrics, with a great melody to support it.

undeadmonkey: Dishwalla, “Candleburn” - Not something I really enjoyed. Just a little too slow and dull to really maintain my interest. Not to say slow songs don't work for me, just this one didn't really have anything to maintain my interest throughout.

leestu: Jane’s Addiction, “Jane Says” (1988) - Nice song with a good melody. Better than Been Caught Stealing? Not a chance in hell.

Buscemi: The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For the Devil” (also W's #75 and leestu's #72) - Again a great song, not as good as Paint It Black, but very good.

transformers: ***Jedi Mind Tricks, “Uncommon Valor (A Vietnam Story)”*** - That actually wasn't bad for a genre I generally dismiss. Nice beat to it and the lyrics were not of the usual variety, so definitely worth listening to.

W: The Beatles (w/ Eric Clapton), “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” - Not a song I actually knew, well I knew it by name and Clapton participation, but other than that never actually heard it. Brilliant stuff, instantly addictive song with some great riffs.

englishozzy: ***Placebo, “Twenty Years”*** - Completely echo six's sentiments. I'd rather listen to any of those songs listed or Every You Every Me before this. Just a little dull to be honest, and not even close to some of the bands slower songs such as Burger Queen either.

BarcaRulz: ***Fuel, "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)”*** - Not something that appeals to me to be honest. Felt very Nickelback-esque really. Which isn't a good thing.

Ron Burgundy: R.E.M., “Losing My Religion” (also BarcaRulz's #62 and becs' #21) - Still a great song.

Chienfantome: ***Amy Winehouse, “Back to Black”*** (also Banks' #18) - My opinion hasn't changed, this isn't a bad song.

Frendo: R.E.M., “Drive” - A song, which when I hear it played, immediately fall in love with again. Definitely one of the top songs.

Great round overall.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

SONG #11

Shrykespeare
Kraftwerk, “Neon Lights” (1978)

Well, you never let us down with choosing something different do ya S? Well, this one i can say was quite good, simple yes, but effective. When i started listening to electro, i wanted to know who started it all. I delved headfirst into Kraftwerk (spewing i missed them live two years ago), and they were a huge surprise, they had some excellent stuff, Tour De France, Numbers, Pocket Calculater and Popcorn were some of their best, this one is on par with them (perhaps popcorn being their number 1). Fantastic pick mate. 8.5/10

NSpan
Bob Dylan, “Positively 4th Street” (1965)

Will get back to u NSpan, im just downloading all of Bob Dylan right now (its taking a while)

Numbersix
***Stiff Little Fingers, “Suspect Device”*** (1979)

Ive been trying to get into some of your stuff six, but perhaps its a tad old for me, i just couldn't like it. 4.5/10

Geezer
Nirvana, “Drain You”

Totally awesome, Nirvana deserve how ever many songs they've got here, great choice geez. 8.5/10

becs
U2, “Sunday Bloody Sunday”

What a gem! Totally forgot about this sort of U2. A cracker of a song, good stuff becs. 9/10

undeadmonkey
Dishwalla, “Candleburn”

Couldnt get into it. 2.5/10

leestu
Jane’s Addiction, “Jane Says” (1988)

Great song, i really enjoy the drum sounds whatever they are, saw them live earlier this year and they did absolutely blow me away. A performance ill never forget. Possibly the best song this round. 9/10

Buscemi
The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For the Devil” (also W's #75 and leestu's #72)

Not bad, i think ive heard this one a bit too much though. 6.5/10

transformers

What a surprise! Indeed a terrific track, i need to hear more of these guys. Well done mate, it was the lyrics that got me. 9/10

W

Good, but not great. -6.5/10

englishozzy

Not a huge fan of these guys, i dont mind them though, saw them live recently and they were surprisingly good. -6/10

BarcaRulz

Its not bad, but i couldn't get into to it. I really like another song from Fuel though, shimmer. - 6/10

Chienfantome
***Amy Winehouse, “Back to Black”*** (also Banks' #18)

i dont like this spoilt bitch. But her songs are passable. 4/10

Frendo
R.E.M., “Drive”

Good song, great band. I never liked this song as much as i do now. 6.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

If there's a theme running through this set of responses, it'd be "...That Said..."

Shrykespeare -- Kraftwerk, “Neon Lights” (1978)
Kinda sounded like a demo that would later be developed into something far grander in scope and even more bombastic. That said, I dug it. I never thought I'd describe an exclusively synthesizer-driven song as "stripped down"--but that's kinda the vibe I got. PS. I took ALL of your advice, and I closed my eyes while listening to this wearing headphones. Unfortunately, I was jogging at the time. I'll send you the details via e-mail, but I think it would be appropriate if you paid 50% of my hospital bill.

Geezer -- Nirvana, “Drain You”
Nirvana has never really ranked amongst the "best" in my mind, but they've always been part of the conversation... and that's something (no sarcasm there, btw. I'm glad I don't mind the guys--seeing as I was born in '82, and I'd be forced to listen/discuss them most of my life either way). Until this countdown, I hadn't thought too hard about my "favorite" Nirvana song. "The Man Who Sold the World" is their best performance. "Lounge Act" is probably my favorite original, if I have to pick... though "Heart Shaped Box" would probably take that latter honor if you asked me when I was younger. "Drain You" is one that never sprung to mind when pondering the subject... but, listening to it, I'd say it's definitely up there. Good pick.

Numbersix -- ***Stiff Little Fingers, “Suspect Device”*** (1979)
Dug the driving rhythm, but the vocals were a bit grating. Maybe the accent combined with the rasp made it particularly rough on my Yank ears. I'll come back to it to see if I can overcome my hangup.

becs -- U2, “Sunday Bloody Sunday”
I just really, really, REALLY hate U2. I honestly think they're awful. Sorry. With that in mind, I think this--in the studio format, at least--is a rare exception to the rule. I also kinda like "New Year's Day." But those two tracks wouldn't keep me from punching Bono in the face... were I ever to meet him face-to-face.

undeadmonkey -- Dishwalla, “Candleburn”
I honestly didn't realize Dishwalla stuck around for more than an album or two. Hearing this, I'm not entirely convinced they needed to. No personal offense, UDM.

leestu -- Jane’s Addiction, “Jane Says” (1988)
I used to LOVE this song... but my appreciation of it has greatly devalued over the years. I think my problem with it is the plain fact that Jane's Addiction (as a band) never really accomplished quite as much as their peers. I've owned two of their albums since I was young, and they just never really blew me away. At their worst, they're still pretty unoffensive... but I feel like I'd rather be listening to Blind Melon, Tripping Daisy, or the Red Hot Chili Peppers... That said, extra points for the VU homage.

W -- The Beatles (w/ Eric Clapton), “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
I can't stand this song.

Buscemi -- The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For the Devil” (also W's #75 and leestu's #72)
Despite its quality being somewhat mitigated (at least subjectively) by being overplayed and spawning horrible cover-versions, this is still a fucking awesome song.

silversurfer -- Manic Street Preachers, “Faster” (1994)
Your picks have had a SIGNIFICANT upward trend (in my opinion) since the beginning. This song grabbed me, but it didn't exactly knock me out. Maybe it makes me a masochist, but I want my music to just totally dominate me. I dug this song. I'm gonna listen to it more to see where we can take it. (And if the 'Preachers don't know where to get Flunitrazepam, I know a guy).

transformers -- ***Jedi Mind Tricks, “Uncommon Valor (A Vietnam Story)”***
The music/accompaniment was cool, but it wasn't enough for me... so I focused on the lyrics. Not bad, really. But why are artists from my generation singing about Viet-fucking-nam? If you're going to integrate politics with rock (which is, 90% of the time, a BAD idea), at least talk about something that happened within your lifetime. Sure, between Stanley Kubrick, Oliver Stone, and Michael Cimino, Vietnam seems like a helluva intriguing topic. But war isn't over. Every theme mentioned in your track is still prevalent, topical, and note-worthy. I feel like one writing a Vietnam song in 2006 is just playing it safe. That said, one of my favorite local bands put out a fucking AWESOME 'Nam-related album (The Black Angels' Passover). And it was brilliant... except I hold their lyrics to the same standards--and I gotta say: a teensy-bit let down.

englishozzy -- ***Placebo, “Twenty Years”***
I've been aware of these guys for a long time, but I never really bothered LISTENING. That said, this track is pretty cool. The vocals remind me of Michael Stipe--but not in a bad way. Music is good. I dig. (PS. I usually don't watch the videos in this countdown, but I accidentally watched a few seconds of this one. Negative points for everything I saw).

BarcaRulz -- ***Fuel, "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)”***
Wow. I had totally forgotten this band existed. Still hasn't won me over. Forgettable... truly, truly, forgettable. That said, it's not awful--just too damn generic. How is this not Live or Stone Temple Pilots??

Ron Burgundy -- R.E.M., “Losing My Religion” (also BarcaRulz's #62 and becs' #21)
Still LOVE the song. Still HATE the band (with several track-related exceptions, of course).

Chienfantome -- ***Amy Winehouse, “Back to Black”*** (also Banks' #18)
Third time I've listened to it. It's growing on me (albeit slowly).

Frendo -- R.E.M., “Drive”
Love the song. Hate the band. Good pick, though.
Last edited by NSpan on July 5th, 2010, 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

My 25 Favorite of the Thread (no particular order)

The Beach Boys, God Only Knows
The Velvet Underground, Venus in Furs
Bob Dylan, Ballad of a Thin Man
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
David Bowie, Moonage Daydream
Soundgarden, Jesus Christ Pose
At the Drive In, Invalid Litter Dept.
Smashing Pumpkins, 1979
Aerosmith, Dream On
Black Sabbath, Iron Man
The Rolling Stones, Sympathy For the Devil
The Velvet Underground, I'm Waiting For the Man
Jimi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower
Kinks, You Really Got Me
Stooges, Search and Destroy
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Breaking the Girl
Smashing Pumpkins, Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Nirvana, The Man Who Sold the World
Allman Brothers Band, Jessica
The Beatles (feat. Eric Clapton), While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Led Zeppelin, Hairway to Steven
The Rolling Stones, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Bob Dylan, Knockin' On Heaven's Door
David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust
Doors, Riders on the Storm

Honorable Mention:
Gary Numan, Are "Friends" Electric?

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

AAAAARRRRGHHG, so after a few hours of listening and commenting and the hotel internet giving me crap, I only had a few songs left and they all got erased and i couldnt undo. sigh. so i'm just going to rate them really fast, as i dont want to recomment on all of them

LOVED
Geezer
The Airborne Toxic Event, “Sometime Around Midnight”

silversurfer
***The White Stripes, “Hotel Yorba”***
(2001)
Ron Burgundy
***Mstrkrft, “Heartbreaker”***

NSpan
Bob Dylan, “Positively 4th Street”
(1965)
what does he have against youtube.

hopefully will hold up with repeat listens and will definitely look more into mstrkrft

LIKED
Shrykespeare
Sting, “Shape of My Heart”
(1993)
NSpan
Led Zeppelin, “In My Time of Dying” (1975)
Buscemi
Aerosmith, “Dream On”
(also W's #72, englishozzy's #57 and becs' #22)
W
Keith Whitley, “When You Say Nothing at All”

Ron Burgundy
Oasis, “Wonderwall”
(also englishozzy's #37 and Buscemi's #33)
Chienfantome
Bruce Springsteen, “Streets of Philadelphia”

Shrykespeare
Sarah McLachlan, “Sweet Surrender”
(1997)
NSpan
The Beatles, “Here Comes the Sun”
(1969)
W
***The Allman Brothers' Band, “Jessica”***

Banks
Jay-Z, “Song Cry”

BarcaRulz
Oasis, “Some Might Say”

Shrykespeare
Kraftwerk, “Neon Lights”
(1978)
kinda cool, but very you and not very me.

UMM... DIDNT LIKE
Numbersix
Sonic Youth, “Cross the Breeze”
(1988)
becs
Pink Floyd, “Wish You Were Here”

leestu
Nirvana, “Sliver”
(1990)
transformers
Smashing Pumpkins, “Bullet With Butterfly Wings”
(also BarcaRulz's #66)
Banks
Kina Grannis, “Together”
englishozzy
Rise Against, “The Good Left Undone”

BarcaRulz
Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”

Frendo
The Doors, “Riders on the Storm”

Numbersix
Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart”
(1980) (also Buscemi's #39)
Geezer
***Eve 6, “Inside Out”***

becs
David Bowie, “Moonage Daydream”

that montage was scary
leestu
***Bauhaus, “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”***
(1979)
Buscemi
***Black Sabbath, “Iron Man”

will never get that iron man trailer out of my head though
silversurfer
The Stooges, “Search And Destroy”
(1973)
transformers
Nirvana, “Lithium”
(also Ron Burgundy's #50, W's #44, Geezer's #30 and BarcaRulz's #14)
englishozzy
System of a Down, “Chop Suey”
(also leestu's #47)
Chienfantome
Neil Young, “Philadelphia”

was nice enough, but just not my thing
Frendo
Nonphixion, “CIA's Still Trying to Kill Me”

Numbersix
***Stiff Little Fingers, “Suspect Device”***
(1979)
Geezer
Nirvana, “Drain You”

becs
U2, “Sunday Bloody Sunday”

leestu
Jane’s Addiction, “Jane Says”
(1988)
Buscemi
The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For the Devil”
(also W's #75 and leestu's #72)
silversurfer
Manic Street Preachers, “Faster”
(1994)
transformers

W

nice song, not one of my favorites though

englishozzy

hmm, his voice was really nasally and annoying, but the song was good, so it was ok.

BarcaRulz

not for me

Chienfantome
***Amy Winehouse, “Back to Black”***
(also Banks' #18)
love it

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Best of (this thread)

Shrykespeare
18. Naughty By Nature, O.P.P.
11. Kraftwerk, Neon Lights

NSpan
12. The Beatles, Here Comes the Sun
11. Bob Dylan, Positively 4th Street

numbersix
19. Radiohead, Idioteque
18. Battles , Atlas
14. Bob Dylan, Ballad of a Thin Man

Geezer
11. Nirvana, Drain You

becs
17. Nirvana, Heart Shaped Box
16. Live, Dolphin's Cry
13. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
11. U2, Sunday Bloody Sunday

undeadmonkey
19. Alphaville, Forever Young

leestu
17. Queen and David Bowie, Under Pressure
16. The Who, My Generation
15. The Cat Empire, The Chariot
11. Jane's Addiction, Jane Says

Buscemi
19. Smashing Pumpkins, 1979
16. Guns N Roses, November Rain
13. Aerosmith, Dream On

silversurfer
20. Bob Dylan, Ballad of a Thin Man
14. The Kinks, You Really Got Me

transformers
18. Rage Against the Machine, Guerrilla Radio
14. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Breaking the Girl
13. Smashing Pumpkins, Bullet With Butterfly Wings
12. Nirvana, Lithium
11. Jedi Mind Tricks, Uncommon Valor (A Vietnam Story)

W
18. The Who, My Generation
16. Eric Clapton, Tears in Heaven
15. Rage Against the Machine, Bulls On Parade
14. The Doors, Light My Fire
12. Allman Brothers Band, Jessica

Banks
17. Dr. Dre feat. Eminem, Guilty Conscience

englishozzy
18. Foo Fighters, Learn to Fly
15. Coldplay, Clocks
12. System of a Down , Chop Suey