Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: Xymox, “Obsession”
I didn't like it. Sounded too much like The Cure who I can't stand.

NSpan: King Crimson, “Starless”
Great pick. King Crimson has always fascinated me. They are so ambitious and were the first band to take that many risks.

Numbersix:The Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Maps"
Ever since I first heard this song on Rock Band It has been one of my least favorite songs of all time. It's obnoxious and just flat out awful. Sorry six I despise this song.

Geezer: Nirvana, "All Apologies"
You can never go wrong with Nirvana. Not in my top 10 Nirvana songs of all time but it is still quite good.

becs: My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You”
This song has always missed the mark for me. I really don't like MCR's slow stuff.

undeadmonkey: Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), “Mendocino County Line”
Willie should have stuck to smoking weed.

leestu: Spacemen 3, “Revolution” (1989)
Wasn't really into it.

Buscemi: Oasis, “Wonderwall” (also englishozzy's #37)
Oasis is really hit or miss for me. Wonderwall I do like but it has been way overplayed so that has killed it for me a bit.

silversurfer: The Jesus And Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey”
I find this band to be very boring.

W: Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies), “Machine Gun”
One of the most underrated Hendrix songs ever. Baroness does a fantastic cover of this.

englishozzy: Muse, "Plug In Baby”
Nice pick. This narrowly missed my list.

Banks: M.I.A., “World Town”
M.I.A is very unique. Her style occasionly gets on my nerves but she is solid and I do enjoy this song.

BarcaRulz: Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down”
Meh.

Ron Burgundy: Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, “Afrika Shox”
I actually really liked it. Very different.

Chienfantome: Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine”
Eh not really my thing.

Frendo: Velvet Underground, “Heroin”
This for sure the best Velvet Underground song I have heard but I am still not really to into them.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

There's a little feedback in the beginning, but if you've delved into any live Hendrix (I have a couple of CDs worth), you'd know that that is just how it is. I think this version of Machine Gun is just as good quality as you can find for un-remastered (that's the way to go) very early 70's footage.

Npan will love it (I assume).
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Song #34:

Shrykespeare
Julian Cope, “Charlotte Anne” (1988)

Wasn't really my thing, although it did have its moments. 4/10.

NSpan
Captain Beefheart, “I'm Glad” (1966)

Didn't mind it actually. Not what I expect when I read "Captain Beefheart". 5/10.

Numbersix
Black Sabbath, “Paranoid” (1970) (also Geezer's #52)

Same as before.

Geezer
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get"

Didn't like it. 3/10.

becs
Silverchair, "Across the Night”

Was Ok, but IMO they have much better stuff. 5.5/10.

undeadmonkey
Sebastian Tellier, “L'Amour Et La Violence”

For the most part forgettable, and to be honest I zoned out for most of it, but it had its moments. 4/10.

leestu
Rage Against The Machine, “Killing In The Name” (1992) (also Buscemi's #68 and W's #67)

Same as before.

Buscemi
Roxy Music, “More Than This”

Didn't really get into it. 3/10.

silversurfer
Radiohead, “Exit Music (For A Film)”

I like this one, but not as much as some of their other stuff. 6.5/10.

transformers
Metallica, “Creeping Death”

Not one of my favorite Metallica songs. Actually found it a little annoying at times. 4/10.

W
Merle Haggard, “Fightin' Side of Me”

Sorry, but I didn't even finish this one. 1/10.

Banks
Stevie Wonder, “My Cherie Amour”

Not what I usually listen to, but had its moments. 4/10.

englishozzy
System of a Down, "Lonely Day”

Like this one a fair bit, and its nice to see them do something different to their usual fair and be good at it (IMO that is). 7/10.

Chienfantome
Cat Power, “The Greatest”

Liked the music at time, but not much else. 4/10.

Frendo
Betty Blowtorch, “I’m Ugly and I Don’t Know Why”

Oh god I hated that. 1/10.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Song #33:

Shrykespeare
Xymox, “Obsession” (1989)

Was mostly meh. Didn't really get into it much. 4/10.

Numbersix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” (2003) (also becs' #100)

Was nice, but not really memorable. 5/10.

Geezer
Nirvana, "All Apologies" (also Buscemi's #40)

Same as before.

becs
My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You”

I think that being able to pretty much sing along with this song eventhough i've never heard it before shows just how generic and cliched it is to me. That's not to say that it didn't have its moments, but 'been there done that' springs to mind. 4/10.

undeadmonkey
Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), “Mendocino County Line”

Sorry, but no. 2/10.

leestu
Spacemen 3, “Revolution” (1989)

Really liked the beginning and the music throughout was great, but really hated the vocals. So just Ok for me overall. 5/10.

Buscemi
Oasis, “Wonderwall” (also englishozzy's #37)

Superb pick. Coming up much later for me. 10/10.

silversurfer
The Jesus And Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey”

New to me and I thought it was good. Nice and calm with a good beat. 6.5/10.

transformers
Muse, “Hysteria” (also becs' #39)

Same as before.

W
Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies), “Machine Gun”

Very good track. Instantly recognizable in a good way for me. 7.5/10.

Banks
M.I.A., “World Town”

Was annoyed by the start, and then after that it never really grabbed my attention. 3/10.

englishozzy
Muse, "Plug In Baby”

Great pick. One of my favorite Muse songs. 9/10.

Ron Burgundy
Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, “Afrika Shox”

Didn't like it at all. 1/10.

Chienfantome
Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine”

Didn't like it, and that ending was one of the most annoying things i've heard in this countdown. 1/10.

Frendo
Velvet Underground, “Heroin”

Never heard this one before, and I really liked it. Nice pick. 7.5/10.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Song #33

Shryke
Xymox « Obsession »

Well I am not surprised at all this band never had a real breakthrough, considering this song. I like your unpredictable tastes Shryke. I mean, I don’t like most of the songs, but I like how I never know what to expect from you my friend^^

NSpan
King Crimson, Starless

King Crimson… no it doesn’t ring any bell… It’s another discovery for me… and this… is… a good discovery. There’s a sense of resignation in this song, in the music and in the way it is sung, that I find deeply interesting. Great song.

Six
The yeah yeah yeahs “Maps”

I’m not very familiar with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but the little I’ve heard really charmed me. This is a beautiful song. I definitely need to delve into this band.

Geezer
Nirvana “All apologies”

Good stuff, again.

Becs
My chemical romance “I don’t love you”

No, I decidedly don’t like the singer’s voice, it would probably ruin me most of his songs…

Undeadmonkey
Willie Nelson “Mendocino County Line”

Wooooowww, Willie Nelson, I’ve seen this guy in a few movies, and heard him sing in them, but I don’t think I had ever heard a song of his out of film… That’s funny. Not my kind of music, no.

Leestu
Spacemen 3 “Revolution”

Too noisy for me I think. Ah, it’s calming down… But the guitar covers the voice too much, I don’t understand a single lyric (well, I exaggerate, but still…)…

Buscemi
Oasis, “Wonderwall”

Like I said, a classic of my teen years, that has lost much of his quality in my eyes with time. But I love to sing it with a friend of mine, we make a damn fine duet at the karaoke with this one ;)

Silversurfer
The Jesus and Mary Chain “Just like honey”

It reminds me of something. Not that I knew this band before it was first cited here… but it reminds me of another song, I don’t know which one… Anyway, it’s a pleasant song.

Transformers
Muse “Hysteria”

Yeah, I like this Muse song. Nice pick transformers, we do share some tastes once in a while ;) This one may be a bit too much though, but I like it anyway.

W
Jimmy Hendrix “Machine gun”

I have yet to be a fan of Hendrix. I like him, and he sure is an amazing guitar player, but his songs do not transport me all that much.

Banks
MIA “World Town”

I first heard of MIA when she participated in the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, but since then, I had not really listened to anything of hers… This one doesn’t really makes me want to listen to more of her. The weird sounds annoy me more than seduce me.

Englishozzy
Muse “Plug in baby”

This is the kind of Muse songs I don’t really know what to think about… There are things I love in this song, and others that leave me a bit cold… The chorus’ energy is fantastic though.

Barcarulz
Arctic monkeys “When the sun goes down”

I don’t really know The Arctic Monkeys beyond the name of the band. Nice drums and guitar. Not bad.

Ron Burgundy
Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield “Afrika Shox”

Ooooh, noooo, I don’t like that. It sounds like dance floor music for disco… and I really don’t like to listen to this kind of music…

Frendo
Velvet Underground “Heroin”

The Velvet Underground, there are so many songs I have yet to discover from them. I love Lou Reed. Good pick, Frendo.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. A lot of mediocrity this round.

My thoughts (in order of preference):

transformers – Muse, “Hysteria” – Easily my favorite Muse song played so far. Absolutely terrific guitars. (8)

silversurfer – The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey” - Duuuuude. Wow, I haven't heard this since high school (and I graduated in '87). This was one of those songs that made you felt cooler just for listening to it... or slightly more disaffected. Which, when you're in high school, is pretty much the same thing. This is the highest I've ranked you since “Novocaine For the Soul”... keep it up! (8)

numbersix – Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” – Wow, I had to go back and look at what I said when becs led off her countdown with this song. Basically, I said that Karen O reminded me a lot of Johnette Napolitano, who was one of my favorite female vocalists of the 90's. Good stuff. (7)

Geezer – Nirvana, “All Apologies” – Good song, same as a week ago. (7)

Buscemi – Oasis, “Wonderwall” – Wow, four repeats today, and they're all songs I like. What are the odds? (7)

becs – My Chemical Romance, “I Don't Love You” – Going over your MCN choices again, becs, I realize just how all over the map this group is with me. There've been songs I've hated (“Headfirst for Halos”), disliked (“Honey, This Mirror...”), liked a little (this one), and liked a lot (“Cancer”). Don't quite know what to think about that. (6)

englishozzy – Muse, “Plug In Baby” – Sorry, ozzy, but this pales next to “Hysteria”. I doubt I'll even remember this one tomorrow. (6)

Ron Burgundy – Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, "Afrika Shox" – I liked the machinism of the synths, but I'm not sure that I totally “got” the song, and the video didn't help my confusion much. (5)

BarcaRulz – Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down” – Didn't much care for the beginning, but it did get better in the middle. (5)

W – Jimi Hendrix, “Machine Gun” – I don't want it to sound as if I'm dissing Hendrix, but my complaint with this is the same that a lot of people have with Satriani... or, indeed, anything by one of the “guitar gods” whose music tends to include a lot of protracted guitar riffs: namely, that if you are not an ardent fan, said protracted guitar riffs tend to quickly become monotonous and indistinguishable from each other after a while. (4)

undeadmonkey – Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), "Mendocine County Line" – Like most country of the last fifteen years, it just didn't affect me in any way. (4)

leestu – Spacemen 3, “Revolution” – Well, I hated the Mudhoney version, and this was only marginally better. Droning, repetitive, and even the “climactic” ending did nothing for me. Can't help but wonder how it would've sounded had it been written during the Woodstock Era (also known as “The NSpan” era). (4)

NSpan – King Crimson, “Starless” – Nicky, you're not the first friend I've had to recommend King Crimson to me, suggesting that if I delve into their stuff, I would absolutely love them. That being said, I just can't find myself able to do it. I don't know if its intransigence or obstinacy that's doing it, but tracks like this just make me feel like I'm missing out on a gold mine. I mean, nearly 12 minutes of song, and it took until the very last minute before I started liking it at all. (4)

Chienfantome – Telephone, “La Bombe Humaine” – Honestly, Chien, I don't know if knowing what the lead singer was saying would make any difference. This just wasn't my thing. (3)

Banks – M.I.A., “World Town” – “Grates?” Yeah, that about describes it. (3)

Frendo – Velvet Underground, “Heroin” – Don't like Lou's voice. Tired of saying it. (3)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #33

Shrykespeare
Xymox, “Obsession”
(1989)
Quite good, as usual very 80s, I wouldn't think of this as top 50 material, but the band will certainly get some more attention from me.

NSpan
King Crimson, “Starless”

not a fan.

Numbersix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps”
(2003) (also becs' #100)
Excellent selection!

Geezer
Nirvana, "All Apologies"
(also Buscemi's #40)
Excellent selection!

undeadmonkey

WHAT! you aren't W. Ergh, not a fan.

leestu
Spacemen 3, “Revolution”
(1989)
Wall of Guitar is a very apt description, but I think that started it off on the wrong foot for me.. it was an ok song overall, but I doubt I'd ever go looking for it.

Buscemi
Oasis, “Wonderwall”
(also englishozzy's #37)
Once again, one of the only oasis songs I can stand, its got its good moments for sure.

silversurfer
The Jesus And Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey”

Quite good, A nice one to space off to.

transformers
Muse, “Hysteria”
(also becs' #39)
Excellent pick!

W

Still good, but not for me.

Banks
M.I.A., “World Town”

I like her as well, but this doesn't hold a candle to Paper Planes, still good.

englishozzy
Muse, "Plug In Baby”

Trying to sneak in some pre-world cup footie reference? Craig Bellamy is a footballer... Matt Bellamy on the other hand is the lead singer of Muse.
Excellent pick, but this one does not compare to most of their other work. I do really love the chorus though.

BarcaRulz
Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down”

Great pick, I find these guys so unique and fun to listen to. Also, hey that scummy man is Stephen Graham!

Ron Burgundy

The video was a little freaky, but I liked the song.

Chienfantome
Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine”

Very interesting song. It's kind of funny how listening to it, it was hard to take it seriously as rock, purely because french is lacking the harsh edged sounding words that we have in english, it is far too melodic and flowy. But other than that I did really like it.

Frendo
Velvet Underground, “Heroin”

Great song, I love the racing beat.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

NSpan -- King Crimson, “Starless”
Surprised this was so-well received. (Sniff). I'm so proud of you guys. PS. Shryke, this band has VERY little to do with the 80s-era kCrimson I recommended to you. The latter band was actually supposed to go by the name Discipline. I guess Robert Fripp pulled a Billy Corgan and realized that he'd sell more records under the guise of his old band. I love all of it, but it'd be far less confusing had they just taken on the new name.

Geezer -- Nirvana, "All Apologies"
Again, good stuff.

becs

If he had a better voice, this actually would've been somewhat decent. I liked the Weezer-esque guitar solo.

undeadmonkey

Really nice track. Since I was a kid, I've been lucky enough to have Willie perform several times a year about a mile from my parents house (same one I grew up in). Despite this song's likability, it's not exactly the first one that would come to mind when shouting requests.

leestu -- Spacemen 3, “Revolution” (1989)
This is on the only albums of theirs I own, Playing With Fire (the expanded reissue). Love the music, though the vocals haven't really grown on me. The Warlocks (as an example) bury their vocals in the mix, but

Buscemi -- Oasis, “Wonderwall”
About as good as I remember it being.

silversurfer -- The Jesus And Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey”
In terms of songwriting, it's a little half-baked. But the delivery makes up for that.

transformers -- Muse, “Hysteria”
Love it.

W -- Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies), “Machine Gun”
Great pick. Though, if we're talkin' Band of Gypsies, I actually prefer the preceding track ("Who Knows")--mostly for Buddy Miles' fun vocals. It's no kazoo, but it's still a blast to hear.

Banks -- M.I.A., “World Town”
Without someone else's hook to keep my attention, this girl just doesn't do it for me.

englishozzy -- Muse, "Plug In Baby”
Looking at the title, I couldn't remember which song this was--but, it clicked after listening for a few seconds. Very good song. Though it (obviously) never stood out to me above the rest. Not sure why that is, though... because it clearly rocks pretty darn good.

BarcaRulz -- Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down”
These guys never won me over in the past. But I really have nothing negative to say about this song. Fun stuff.

Ron Burgundy -- Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, “Afrika Shox”
I gotta go with your disgruntled audience on this one. Sorrie.

Chienfantome -- Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine”
This was awesome. I've definitely never heard it before--but it seemed like I already knew it. It's reminiscent of something, but I can't place it. (Does anyone else know what I might be thinking of?) Either way, I loved it.

Frendo -- Velvet Underground, “Heroin”
The track that got me into VU in the first place. It also provides the title for my all-time favorite book (Jesus' Son). It's a shame that this is the furthest most poeple will ever dig into their (already brief) discography. That said, it's a helluva song to be remembered for.

Ron Burgundy - Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Can't Stop"
With every new release starting with Californication, I always dismiss the new RHCP record as crap--assuming they've finally lost their touch. But, as always, the music wears me down and I give in. I admit, this song is catchy as hell. Can't wait for the new record (so I can talk shit about it for a year or so... and then finally learn to love it).
Chienfantome wrote:
NSpan wrote:
Chienfantome wrote:And this song suddenly made me a bit nostalgic, after the death of my childhood cat 3 days ago.
I think I can speak for the beeb as a whole when I say: nous partageons votre peine en ce moment de deuil. Nos sincères condoléances, à vous et à votre famille.
Thanks NSpan ! It's nice of you to say that.
Is your French good enough to write this down, or did you get a little help ?^^
I would just say that between us, you can tell me "tu" and not "vous", which is much too polite for the two of us.
Thanks again man :)
I'll admit, I definitely needed some help on this. Though, I know enough Latin and Spanish that I can usually figure out a bit o' French on my own (provided that it's written down and you give me some time to work it out in my head). Wa
sn't sure about the level of formality, seeing as they were words of condolence.

transformers -- Metallica, “Creeping Death”
W -- Merle Haggard, “Fightin' Side of Me”
Banks -- Stevie Wonder, “My Cherie Amour”
englishozzy -- System of a Down, "Lonely Day”
Chienfantome -- Cat Power, “The Greatest”
Ron Burgundy - Nine Inch Nails, "Only"
Shrykespeare -- Xymox, “Obsession” (1989)
Numbersix -- Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” (2003)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

becs wrote:SONG #33
undeadmonkey

WHAT! you aren't W. Ergh, not a fan.
I wouldn't pick that Willie duet. I do, however, have one left.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

becs wrote: Shrykespeare
Xymox, “Obsession”
(1989)
Quite good, as usual very 80s, I wouldn't think of this as top 50 material, but the band will certainly get some more attention from me.
Well, though I secretly long for EVERYONE's endoresement of my musical tastes, I'm finding that it's your approval, becs, that I seek more than anyone else's. (Probably due to the fact that your list has become my runaway favorite, esp. in the last 20 songs. And the fact that you're, you know, a chick.) ;)

Seriously, though, becs, I love your list. There have only been FIVE (out of 68) that I've actually disliked. That's a hell of a percentage.

By now I think everyone pretty much knows my "thing" when it come to music. I really don't think there will be more than one or two surprises from here on out as far as my choices go. I still have one comedy song, one rap, one classical, and one that is pure pop, and three reggae still to come, but not really anything whose SOUND will have you shaking your heads and saying, "Wow, this really came out of nowhere..."

And that's all the clues you're getting from here on out.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Did “La Bombe Humaine” sound kinda like "Wonderboy"?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #32

Shrykespeare
Morrissey, “Every Day Is Like Sunday”
(1988)

Sometimes a song will just pop into your head, without warning and for no reason. When that happens, you can only hope that it's a good song, lest it drive you crazy trying to get it out. Whenever I am idling, or puttering about the office, or driving somewhere, it is THIS song that seems to come out of the blue and land in my brain more often than any other song. This song was off Morrissey's debut solo album “Viva Hate”, and was reportedly inspired by Nevil Shute's “On the Beach”, being about a group of people waiting for nuclear oblivion in an Australian beach town. It is such a tremendous song, as evidenced by the groups that have covered it: namely,The Pretenders (which is also awesome) and 10,000 Maniacs (not on YouTube, WTF?!). But you just can't beat the original.

NSpan
Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer”
(1975)

Amazing guitar-work, amazing atmosphere/imagery, and the top-notch lyrics you'd expect from Neil Young in the 1970s. Easily my favorite track of his entire career (though "Helpless" deserves honorable mention. Young (wisely) avoids anything topical/political--which has been his weak-spot for the last 20 years. When I saw him perform live, the sheer level of professional musicianship that emanated from Young, his guitar, and the rest of the band was easily the highlight of the show. This sounds pretentious, but his set-list was more of a backdrop for a landscape of music rather than a simple list of songs he'd planned on performing. This track, above any other, captures what I'm failing to articulate in that sentence. Not often did Young's live work translate onto his album, but I think this is a prime example of him succeeding in that regard.

Numbersix
Television, “Marquee Moon”
(1977) (also silversurfer's #52)

Punk reintroduced the idea of simplicity to guitar music, and then bands like Television started playing around with that. One example is the idea of “dueling” guitars, one playing a note, then the other playing an accompanying note. Your hear this a lot in recent bands like Interpol, The Killers, and Bloc Party. Marquee Moon has some great dueling guitars but the bass and drums combine to make this a really enjoyable tune. The version I love is the album version, which is 10 minutes long and goes off on this little musical journey for a while, before returning to that catchy opening sequence, completing the circle of pure aural joy.

But for those of you who feel they can’t handle 10 minutes of rock heaven, here’s the cut-down four-minute version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlbunmCbTBA

Geezer
Everclear, "Santa Monica"

Hope you all can stomach a third Everclear song from me, but this is my favorite track from one of my top 5 bands. Deeply meaningful lyrics to me, and they perform them with great emotion. Again, a simple yet awesome riff that flows under the lyrics that I can wrap my head around. I hope someone else can relate to the song as much as I can. Then maybe you'll get why I love it so much. There have been times in my life where this song has summed up my feelings better than I ever could have myself.

becs
Clint Mansell, "Lux Aeterna”

As we are a bunch of filmies, I doubt this requires any introduction.

undeadmonkey
The Magic Numbers, “Take A Chance”

I love this song. (I know it's getting redundant as I love all these songs; either way, bear with me.) This song is just so catchy and gets stuck in my head days on end, and mostly the only way to get it unstuck is to listen to a song that's even higher on this list so that can get stuck in my head instead.

leestu
Violent Femmes, “Blister In The Sun”
(1983)

Another band on my list sometimes labeled as folk-punk. The band that put a lighter side on teenage angst, (just check out “Gimme The Car” for a perfect example of that) this is the first of two appearances. I am so glad I got to see this band live a couple of times. They started off their career as buskers and I think the skills and knowledge gained from that, are on display in songs like this, and in their live performances. I chose this video by default. It just HAD to be the original version from their self titled album, where they whisper, instead of singing quietly (like they do in the official version released years later with a video), so we are stuck with this animated video. It’s okay though; unlike most it doesn’t get in the way of the song.

Buscemi
a-ha, “Take on Me”

silversurfer
R.E.M., “Nightswimming”

As well as being one of the most beautiful compositions I have ever heard, this also holds a deep emotional place in me as it was the song which was playing when I realized I had fallen in love with my (now) wife. We were just chilling out in her house almost 10 years ago now, and when this song came on, it just clicked. Anyway, regarding the song, it's so simple yet totally consuming, and the subject matter is, of all things, skinny dipping. It's innocence is highlighted so effectively, while the music, utilizing the piano so well is so involving. A song I can listen to over and over again.

transformers
Mastodon, “Colony Of Birchmen”

3rd track by my favorite band of all time, Mastodon. This track boasts a guest appearance by Josh Homme of Queens of The Stone Age.

W
The Allman Brothers Band, “Ramblin' Man”

My daughter's favorite song. I literally bought Rock Band 2 just so we could play it together. Before Duane's death the Allman Brothers Band was poised to become one of the top few bands ever (they still are to me). This is one reason why. I put up another reason already in "Whipping Post" and there's one more to come.

Banks
Gnarls Barkley, “Blind Mary”

Much like M.I.A., Gnarls Barkley is another act I love because they’re making music that is so different than most music I’d otherwise hear. I was never a big Cee-Lo Green fan until he paired up with Danger Mouse to create Gnarls Barkley, and I’m sure you guys are familiar with “Crazy”. I’m surprised we haven’t seen any Gnarls on these lists yet actually. I’m sure this song is about inner beauty and deep insecurities and a very low sense of self-worth, but realistically, this song could be about anything and I’d love it.

englishozzy
3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite”

These guys have done some good songs over the years "Here Without You", "It's Not My Time". But have also been guilty of being a bit commercial at times. This song is by far the best they have done.

BarcaRulz
The Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop”
(also leestu's #79)

Love The Ramones, and this is my favorite song by them. This was my introduction to them and their style, and I have since then been listening to a lot of their work on a regular basis. Good old fashioned punk rock at its best.

Ron Burgundy
Coolio feat. LV, “Gangsta's Paradise”
(also Buscemi's #100)

A classic, but what ever happened to Coolio?

Chienfantome
Muse, “Uprising

Muse is a very strange band I find quite hard to pin down. Their rock tainted with classical flights denotes a taste for grandeur that could be the sign of a (too) high self esteem. But then you see these guys being interviewed, or watch how they can make pranks on TV and you can’t seriously think they think so highly of themselves. What I know is I can’t listen to “Uprising” without thinking it’s a great song. Musically, you’re immediately caught into it. And the lyrics are quite strong, even if not subtle.

Frendo
Aesop Rock, “Daylight”

One of the best and most intelligent rap songs ever made, period. Aesop has some skills for sure. With the Def Jux production adding a perfect backdrop, a good alternative to the mundane normal rap dealing with girls and cars and all the other bullshit 15-year-old-kid fantasies passing for lyrics in modern hip hop. Best lyrics: “Life is not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman...” and the bit that follows it.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
Julian Cope, “Charlotte Anne”
(1988)
not too bad, but it coudln't really hold my attention the whole time.

NSpan
Captain Beefheart, “I'm Glad”
(1966)
also not bad but also didn't hold my attention throughout.

Geezer
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get"

this was ok, seemed like something fun to listen to every once in a while.

becs
Silverchair, "Across the Night”

act 2 was better than act 1. still I didnt enjoy it that much. at least i thought it was good enough to comment on.

leestu
Rage Against The Machine, “Killing In The Name”
(1992) (also Buscemi's #68 and W's #67)
again? honestly i didnt listen to this again. i've heard it twice, i really doubt it will make me change my mind.

silversurfer
Radiohead, “Exit Music (For A Film)”

good song. it is quite powerful. did mean much to me at the moment to be honest. but maybe if you listen to it more and let it touch you, or hear it during an emotional time might be more meaningful...

W
Merle Haggard, “Fightin' Side of Me”

oy. sorry, i hate this kind of country. This kind of country is right in between the classic country which i like and the new country which i like. definitely not for me. video was funny though.

Banks
Stevie Wonder, “My Cherie Amour”

also surprised we havent seen more stevie wonder. good song, obviously not as good as mine. but not bad, nonetheless.

BarcaRulz
Weezer, “Pork and Beans”

to be honest, Weezer is not a band that i can listen to on loop, that being said i do enjoy them from time to time and this song is pretty catchy.

Chienfantome
Cat Power, “The Greatest”

awesome, i like this song. never saw blueberry nights, so this song is new to me. probably highlight of the round. She sounds very similar to Norah Jones.

Frendo
Betty Blowtorch, “I’m Ugly and I Don’t Know Why”

interesting, you like your music very raw. i enjoyed this song. definitely not something i would listen to or have on my ipod but i enjoyed it for what it was. kinda catchy.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow, today was so much better than yesterday.

My thoughts (in order of preference):

BarcaRulz – The Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop” – This song just NEVER gets old. I love it! (10)

Ron Burgundy – Coolio feat. LV, “Gangsta's Paradise” – One of the best rap songs of all time, bar none. (9)

Buscemi – a-ha, “Take On Me” – I remember when this song was brand new and the coolest thing on MTV. Great visually, great musically, one of the true 80's anthems. Thanks for the nostalgia, Boosh! (9)

leestu – Violent Femmes, “Blister in the Sun” – Not a big Femmes fan, but how can ANYONE who loves this genre not adore this song? 27 years later, it still sounds as awesome as it did on Day One. (8)

Chienfantome – Muse, “Uprising” – By my count, Chien, this is the ninth different Muse song posted since we started, and you're the seventh person to have a Muse song on your list. That ties Radiohead and the Stones for most different songs by one artist so far. And I really liked this one.. Not as much as “Hysteria” but still a lot. (7)

becs – Clint Mansell, “Lux Aeterna” – All this time, and I never knew this composition's title. But it's been used in so many movies and trailers, it's been indelibly etched into my mind. And rightly so... it's so grandiose and dramatic. Good stuff. (I remember you saying when you posted “Lacrimosa” that there was going to be more “classical” stuff. Is this the last of it, or will there be more? I have one other, and it'll be in my Top 5.) (7)

englishozzy – 3 Doors Down, “Kryptonite” – This was their first big hit, right? One of the better songs from this genre from the 90's, and it's good to see them still going strong. Brad Arnold is a very good lead singer. (7)

Geezer – Everclear, “Santa Monica” – And this one was THEIR first big hit, wasn't it? I know they had an album prior to “Sparkle and Fade” (“World of Noise”), but I don't remember it generating any hits. Another 90's classic. (6)

silversurfer – R.E.M., “Nightswimming” – On an album (“Automatic For the People”) that produced world-renowned hits like “Everybody Hurts”, “Man on the Moon” and “Drive”, it's interesting that you pick this one as your favorite (which did get a little airplay in the U.S.). A good song IMHO, but I rank it far below “Everybody Hurts” as far as emotional impact. (6)

W – Allman Brothers Band, “Ramblin' Man” – A rock classic. Not something I'd listen to on repeat, but good for the occasional listen. (6)

Banks – Gnarls Barkley, “Blind Mary” – I freakin' LOVE “Crazy”, and even considered it for my list. This was just okay for me, a'ight, dawg? (6)

undeadmonkey - The Magic Numbers, “Take a Chance” - Not bad, but not that great either. (5)

numbersix – Television, “Marquee Moon” – Just okay for me, again. (5)

transformers – Mastodon, “Colony of Birchmen” – I've liked the other two Mastodon songs you've posted (a little), but I really didn't care for this. But two out of three ain't bad (and I KNOW there's more coming). (4)

NSpan – Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer” – Yawn. (4)

Frendo – Aesop Rock, “Daylight” – It's probably a lot different for you, because you appreciate this genre. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate terrific lyrics, but when they're coming out of my speakers at a rate of 500 words per minute, it's tough to do so. Aesop Rock may be head and shoulders above the crap like you said, but my ears really can't tell much difference. And well-mannered or not, profanity in rap just turns me way the eff off. (3)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
Xymox, “Obsession”
(1989)
i really don't think i got this. it just seemed weird to me. Again, not terrible but didnt find much in it for me.

NSpan
King Crimson, “Starless”

it just never seemed to go anywhere for my tastes. wouldnt mind it as background music though. which it kinda was because i got bored and started doing other stuff (hah, sorry)

Numbersix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps”
(2003) (also becs' #100)
totally don't remember this song and don't remember what i said. So i will judge it with fresh ears. not terrible, but not that catchy, it's ok i guess. and although i don't know which song it is, but i know i've heard a song with the lyrics 'he don't love you like i love you' so it's only a one word difference, not that original.

Geezer
Nirvana, "All Apologies"
(also Buscemi's #40)
like i said before. this is the first time that i've actually liked anything i've heard by nirvana and it surprisingly was just as good the second time. Still don't think i would call myself a fan now though

becs

this was catchy. Again I've said i'm not a fan of MCR but i would be lying if i didnt say this song was ok.

W

not bad, i enjoyed this song. I don't have any hendrix in any of my playlist, i couldnt really listen to him that much, but hearing him once in a while is refreshing.

Banks
M.I.A., “World Town”

Interesting, i've never heard anything by MIA besides Paper Planes and I enjoyed this. The only thing is after those two songs, i'm still not really convinced to check out any more of their stuff. I mean these two that i've heard are both catchy and fun. but nothing super great. Still catchy though

englishozzy
Muse, "Plug In Baby”

Didn't like this song. I've heard some songs by them now that i do really like , but not this one. thought it was pretty bad to be honest.

BarcaRulz
Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down”

i found this funny. was it supposed to be funny? if so, then I enjoyed the song.

Ron Burgundy

interesting song. I liked it, don't really understand what it was trying to say (or anything at all, it's kinda late and i'm tired). either way i liked it for what it was, might not in the morning though.