Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Post by Chienfantome »

Song #34

Shryke
Julian Cope « Charlotte Anne »

Well, what to say… Curious song. Very curious… It seems to go a bit everywhere, so it is nice some moments, and then bad a few seconds later… Overall listenable, but quite forgettable to me.

NSpan
Captain Beefheart “I’m glad”

I had never ever heard of this Captain Beefheart before joining this thread… Second song I hear of them… Pretty good song. Not the kind I’m getting excited about, but good song.

Six
Black Sabbath “Paranoid”

I’m not much of a Sabbath connoisseur, but I found this one pretty enjoyable. When I think of Ozzy Osbourne’s voice now, I can’t believe it’s the same guy…

Geezer
The Migthy Mighty Bosstones “The impression that I get”

Wow, that wasn’t exactly a song I expected from you Geezer… I’m not saying I like it though… but it’s surprising.

Becs
Silverchair “Across the night”

The beginning ain’t extraordinary… at all… let’s wait for the rest of the song… Yeah… well, no, still nothing great to my ears I’m afraid…

Undeadmonkey
Sebastien Tellier “L’amour et la violence”

Woooowww, Sébastien Tellier !!!! That’s funny undeadmonkey ! Tellier !!! I wasn’t expecting him on these boards !!!
Actually, I love that song. I looove that song. Lol Amazing song. Damn, I didn’t think of putting it on my list, but I could almost have done it. Amazing choice, UDM, really. French electro/pop bands are often excellent. Tellier, Air, Daft Punk… This song is hypnotic.
As for the lyrics, here’s a rough translations for those of you interested (he repeats the same over and over again) :
Tell me what you think
Of my life, of my adolescence
Tell me what you think
I ‘m also fond of love and violence

Leestu
Rage against the machine “Killing in the name”

It’s funny, my two best girl friends often sing this one when we go to the Korean Karaoke. Not bad, stylish energy. A bit too harsh for me to want to listen to it often, but cool song.

Buscemi
Roxy Music “More than this”

This is the kind of song my mom loves !! She’s got good taste generally, so it’s by no means an insult ! She loves Ferry. I’m not a big fan, but it brings back old memories, so it’s a nice song to hear for me.

Surfer
Radiohead, “Exit music (for a film)”

Well, I can only say Bravo for this choice, man. This song transports me every single time I listen to it. A pure moment of spleen that explodes into musical “epicness” (is that a word ?). It’s greatness.

Transformers
Metallica “Creeping death”

I can’t say I’m a fan of Metallica… And after listenin to it, I can’t say I’m a fan of this song either… Too much metal for me.

W
Merle Haggard “ Fightin’ side of me”

Wowwww, it sounds so much like smoething that will never play on a French radio !! ;)
It feels so exotic to my ears it’s funny to listen to, but it’s not my style.

Banks
Stevie Wonder “My Cherie amour”

I’ve always found this song’s title funny, because those French words put together feel weird. In French we’d either say “Ma chérie” or “Mon amour”, so “my Cherie” or “my amour”, but not Ma chérie amour, it sounds really weird^^ Except from that, the song isn’t really special…

Englishozzy
System of a down “Lonely day”

I actually quite like this song although System of a down isn’t really a band I like. It’s the Shia LaBeouf movie “Disturbia” that made me rediscover it. I can easily listen to it from time to time.

BarcaRulz
Weezer “Porks and Beans”

I preferred the last Weezer song listed (don’t remember which it was). This one’s nice, but is not one that will last in my mind long…

Frendo
Betty Blowtorch “I’m ugly and I don’t know why”

I love the title ! The song... well, I’m not really enchanted by it, but it’s listenable.

Ron B
1979 :
Amazing song
Can’t Stop : The intro is fantastic, the rest of the song is okay
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

FYI, Surfer... Barca posted "Otherside" at #71. But you're right, I expected a lot more Peppers than two so far. I would have thought that "Give It Away" or "Under the Bridge" would have turned up by now.

Ron Burgundy:

#36. Smashing Pumpkins, "1979" - Excellent song. Loved it. (9)
#35. Nine Inch Nails, "Only" - I liked this one a lot too. Good stuff. (7)
#34. Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Can't Stop" - Always liked this song. Anthony's lyrics are terrific as usual, and Flea's guitar is always good. (7)

Now that RB is caught up, tonight will mark the first time that we've hit our high number of participants: SEVENTEEN.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare -- Julian Cope, “Charlotte Anne” (1988)
It's weird to me that so much 80s New Wave Alt-Rock was defined by male-vocalists who happened to sound just like Morrissey. Song's not too shabby--though it's (still) not my style.

Numbersix -- Black Sabbath, “Paranoid” (1970)
I think everyone knows how I feel about Sabbath. I still got one more from them coming up.

Geezer -- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get"
Funny the same song that turned on millions of fans to ska was the same song that probably turned millions of fans off of it.

becs -- Silverchair, "Across the Night”
Ah, but a band's reach should exceed its grasp. Good for them.

undeadmonkey -- Sebastian Tellier, “L'Amour Et La Violence”
Kinda nice. The sound fidelity was a bit abrasive, though--so it made it a bit harder to appreciate the softer parts. The music towards the end reminded me of a video game score, but not necessarily in a bad way.

leestu -- Rage Against The Machine, “Killing In The Name” (1992)
Good stuff.

silversurfer -- Radiohead, “Exit Music (For A Film)”
I don't know if it's worth CRYING over--but it's a great song nonetheless. And an amazing album. PS. I never realized that this was actually written as exit music for a film--I just thought it was a cheeky title.

Frendo -- Betty Blowtorch, “I’m Ugly and I Don’t Know Why”
Fun stuff. I dug it.

Ron Burgundy - Smashing Pumpkins, "1979"
The Pumpkins at a definite peak. Despite the "reunion," I think the band has been dead since ~1999. Billy Corgan just realized that he sells more records under that title--and, fortunately for us listeners, the act of admitting it helped rein in some of his pretentiousness.

BarcaRulz -- Weezer, “Pork and Beans”
Post-Pinkerton Weezer is a bittersweet affair. Emotionally, Rivers checked out after that second album. But the band continues to churn out the hits, and Rivers' innate ear for a catchy melody remains. I almost wish they had simply gone on under a new band-name (or SOMETHING), because I wouldn't judge the new stuff so harshly if it didn't feel so damn hollow compared to their 90s work.

(Working through these slowly today. I feel like shit, and I have a bunch of actual work to do--but I hate falling behind here)

transformers -- Metallica, “Creeping Death”
W -- Merle Haggard, “Fightin' Side of Me”
Banks -- Stevie Wonder, “My Cherie Amour”
englishozzy -- System of a Down, "Lonely Day”
Chienfantome -- Cat Power, “The Greatest”
Ron Burgundy - Nine Inch Nails, "Only"
Ron Burgundy - Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Can't Stop"

numbersix wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:stop being so critical of all rap six, a song finally doesn't talk about hoes and bling but you still find a way to bring it down!
"A normal life is boring, but superstardom's close to post mortem
It only grows harder, only grows hotter
He blows us all over these hoes is all on him
Coast to coast shows, he's know as the globetrotter"
I laughed out loud here... way to check your sources, Surf
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #34

Shrykespeare
Julian Cope, “Charlotte Anne”
(1988)
Very good, great aspects of the 80s in this song!

*NSpan
Captain Beefheart, “I'm Glad”
(1966)
WOAH, totally different from the other song from them (him?), Loved it!

Numbersix
Black Sabbath, “Paranoid”
(1970) (also Geezer's #52)
It was okay, I didn't remember it from last time, so I'm sure I netiher loved or hated it before...

Geezer
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get"

eh, a throwaway but fun song.

*undeadmonkey
Sebastian Tellier, “L'Amour Et La Violence”

Loved it! So very mellow but building, love that soft power.

leestu
Rage Against The Machine, “Killing In The Name”
(1992) (also Buscemi's #68 and W's #67)
Good one.

Buscemi
Roxy Music, “More Than This”

Quit good stuff.

*silversurfer
Radiohead, “Exit Music (For A Film)”

Excellent! Not on my list, but easily coulda been, I love this one, Thom's voice is just so crisp and powerful.

transformers
Metallica, “Creeping Death”

Definitely noy my favorite metallica.. didn't really like it.

W
Merle Haggard, “Fightin' Side of Me”

Not a very good song purely on its musical merits, and as a neutral between the political parties I found it was the same kind of lobotomized ignorant garbage messages that fuel the useless extremist on both sides.

Banks
Stevie Wonder, “My Cherie Amour”

Pure cheese... not for me.

englishozzy
System of a Down, "Lonely Day”

Love it! A great SoaD ballad, as always.

BarcaRulz
Weezer, “Pork and Beans”

I can assure you the proper video will be posted soon enough ;-)

Chienfantome
Cat Power, “The Greatest”

A pretty enough song, but I hated the throatiness of the singer though, it was like fiona apple singing with no energy or range.

Frendo
Betty Blowtorch, “I’m Ugly and I Don’t Know Why”

butt trumpet you say? it definitely didn't sound like a butt trumpet.. good pick lol! reminded me a bit of Go Betty Go.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Ron Burgundy's picks from the last three days:

36. Smashing Pumpkins, "1979"
FRIGGIN classic. This was my 102, so just barely didn't make the cut.

35. Nine Inch Nails, "Only"
I really like this song, it has a certain likable syncopation.

34. Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Can't Stop"
Yea, I can't believe they haven't shown up more. A very fun track, great style.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

numbersix wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote: Banks: Eminem, “Lose Yourself” - Finally, we've had plenty of Eminem songs on this countdown but we finally have my favourite of his (well the only one I can stand). The riff which opens this is awesome, and despite six's comments I have never really tried to listen to the lyrics on this as I'm usually just enjoying the sound of it. Even so, I don't think they really hint at aiming to get hoes and bling, I think it's a song which could be translated to all different ambitions, stop being so critical of all rap six, a song finally doesn't talk about hoes and bling but you still find a way to bring it down!
"A normal life is boring, but superstardom's close to post mortem
It only grows harder, only grows hotter
He blows us all over these hoes is all on him
Coast to coast shows, he's know as the globetrotter"

I'm in no way against all rap. I did have 2 rap songs in my Top 100 after all, and I did compliment the rap songs that Tranny and Frendo posted that weren't like that. But I see the ambitions in this song as being pretty darn specific.
Come on....5 words in 3 full verses and you condemn the entire song?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Holy shit, people... do you realize that we are now more than two-thirds of our way through this thing??

becs, Buscemi, Geezer, ozzy... Don't know if you guys are participating in the "contest", but if you are, you have only one more full day to get your votes in.

Becs is gonna LOVE today's lineup...

SONG #33

Shrykespeare
Xymox, “Obsession”
(1989)

In 1989, I (erroneously) thought that Xymox (also known at times as “Clan of Xymox”) was going to catch on big time. Their album, “Twist of Shadows” was just amazing. Featuring the vocals of Anka Wolbert and Ronny Moorings, their song “Imagination” landed right square in my wheelhouse; but it was this song that blew me away, a mild Cure-like Dutch goth track with catchy rhythms that I just find myself lost inside. (Plus, Ronny's rockin' the Robert Smith 'do, isn't he?)

NSpan
King Crimson, “Starless”

Like Floyd, King Crimson is one of my favorite bands that is (woefully) under-represented on my list. I simply can't pick out single tracks from their albums--if we do a "Favorite Albums" countdown, you'll see a lot more from these guys. Anyway, I had to make sure they were represented at least once in our Top 100--and this particular song deserves its place on my list. If you like it, check out their album “Red” for the full package. PS. Sorry for posting another long track. I really appreciate everybody who gives the whole thing an honest listen. Note: I've never heard this song separated into two "parts" before--but it looks like whoever posted it found an appropriate spot to divide the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDlmbukslUE (part 1 of 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5Dcn2oaCc (part 2 of 2)

Numbersix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps”
(2003) (also becs' #100)

Karen O and her crew just dived into the music scene in 2003 with a blistering debut album. For all their rock and punk sensibilities, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs also showed that they could ease up and make a stunning rock ballad. A song about the lead singer of the Liars, this is one of the most warm and beautiful songs I’ve heard in the last decade, with a chorus that’s tender yet surprisingly not used in any previous song: “They don’t love you like I love you”.

Geezer
Nirvana, "All Apologies"
(also Buscemi's #40)

Boush just covered this one a few picks ago, and its on your foremost Nirvana lover's list as well. In fact, this is one that was set to be listed several picks back but upon listening, I needed to raise it higher and higher, a couple of times. Its just a brilliant piece of music. Every time I hear it, I get lost in Kurt's voice and the emotion he puts into the performance. The version of the song played here has to be the Unplugged version, because that is the performance of the song that made me fall in love with it. Absolutely incredible. And still just my 4th favorite from Nirvana.

becs
My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You”

Another epic rock ballad from MCR.

undeadmonkey
Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), “Mendocino County Line”

I know we've had a few other Willie picks, at least one that I can remember. It wasn't received too well and i don't really expect this one to be either. I can't really pinpoint exactly why I think this song is so great. It must just be the simple storytelling or the longing of past times remembered fondly. I also think their voices meld together beautifully.

leestu
Spacemen 3, “Revolution”
(1989)

The best of the shoegazing bands. You had a taste of this song with Mudhoney’s grunge take, and now here is the original classic. With its primal bass and drumming providing a driving rhythm for its wall of guitar and simple but effective anti establishment lyrics this builds to a noisy but musical, almost psychadelic, climax.

Buscemi
Oasis, “Wonderwall”
(also englishozzy's #37)

silversurfer
The Jesus And Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey”

The Jesus And Mary Chain took a little Velvet Underground and added a hell of a lot of white noise into the mix to emerge as one of the most influential acts of the 1980s, serving as a great inspiration for the likes of My Bloody Valentine, Pixies and Dinosaur Jr. This is my favourite track of theirs, blending a sweet, simple pop song with a ribbons of droning guitar fuzz.

transformers
Muse, “Hysteria”
(also becs' #39)

W
Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies), “Machine Gun”

Let's follow up an anti-protest song with one that vilifies war! One of the top two Hendrix songs that you probably won't hear on the radio (my #1 Hendrix song is a classic rock staple). This was recorded when he was trying to get back to his soul/blues. Both Hendrix and the guitar show so much emotion. I'm sure some of this is because unlike other guys that wrote Vietnam War protest songs, he was actually in it. One of the best songs to just chill out to.

Banks
M.I.A., “World Town”

Like most people, I first heard of M.I.A. after “Paper Planes” was used in the Pineapple Express trailer. I loved that song (before it became way too overplayed) and so I downloaded her first two CDs, and that’s how I found this gem. I like M.I.A. because she’s different, and I know her sound grates on a lot of people, but I really like most of what she does.

englishozzy
Muse, "Plug In Baby”

A band that I have noticed hasn't been everybody's favourite, but I love Craig Bellamy's voice and their music is not comparable. This is one of my favourite songs from these guys.

BarcaRulz
Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down”

Starts off a little like a poem, then goes into full swing. I enjoy a lot of the Arctic Monkeys' work, this one though is by far my favorite, especially when it gets going.

Ron Burgundy
Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, “Afrika Shox”

Used to play this on my radio show. It wasn't well received...

Chienfantome
Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine”

Téléphone has often been considered the best French rock band. They arrived in the late 70’s, and split a decade later. Since then the lead singer Jean-Louis Aubert has led an almost exemplary career on his own. I have long hesitated between two songs of Téléphone to put on this list, and ended up with this one, “The Human Bomb”. The song begins slowly, like the beginning of a tale. “Let me tell you about tomorrow’s weapon”, and goes on about the youth’s fears of a time of Cold War (the song is from the late 70’s), and as it progresses, the rhythm seems ready to explode in craziness.

Frendo
Velvet Underground, “Heroin”

My favorite song by a legendary band. It details heroin use from the enjoyment of the high to the ambivalence about things going on around when using. Although I hear Lou Reed and co. never took it in themselves, I’m sure they saw a lot while hanging out at The Factory. Great songwriting. Just barely beat out "Venus in Furs" and "Waiting for the Man".

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Again ive gotta apologise in advance, cause my net is so slow so i cant load up these vids, so ill just comment on those artists and songs i know. I will speed things up when we get to the top 20s though, i cant miss out much more...

Numbersix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” (2003) (also becs' #100)

I dont mind this song, i have heard it alot too, which makes me think its a little overrated, im not sure if its her vocals or her haircut but theres something about the yeah yeah yeahs i cant put my finger on. 6/10

Geezer
Nirvana, "All Apologies" (also Buscemi's #40)

Incredibly, i dont know this song by name, ill find it and get back to you.

becs
My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You”

These guys pulled out of the 'Soundwave' festival/concert and i was a little annoyed, i actually like some of their stuff. But for i gotta know- why did they pull out, and why haven't they released anything for what seems like ages?? This song, i dont know by name, sorry becs.

undeadmonkey
Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), “Mendocino County Line”

Is Lee Ann Womack related to Bobby Womack? All i know by Willie is 'On the Road Again' and that Dukes of Hazzard song. Im sure i liked Sebastien Telliar so you have one good song in the bank. Dunno this one

Buscemi
Oasis, “Wonderwall” (also englishozzy's #37)
Fantastic pick my friend, i have a feeling you'll be hearing more of Oasis. 9.5/10

transformers
Muse, “Hysteria” (also becs' #39)

I had to get iTunes up for this, i couldn't remember this one, but did after a listen. I guess i just didn't like it that much. Bellamy's vocals sometimes can be just plain annoying, he doesn't variate too much from his wailing (almost whinging) singing. The drums are punchy though, which i like. But in the end, they always have good enough guitar solos to warrant another listen. 6.5/10

Banks
M.I.A., “World Town”

Yeah paper planes was a first for me too, and i will chase this one up for sure, M.I.A have a different sound to most and thats a good thing.

englishozzy
Muse, "Plug In Baby”

Yeah, im not a fan of Muse (they are huge in Australia though), but this song is very good. I love the raw bass and the melodic guitar. Fresh stuff. And better than Hysteria too. Infact this could be my favourite from them. 8/10

BarcaRulz
Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down”

Its ok, but i guess since i dislike the Arctic Monkeys this is an achievment. Not bad. 5.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I know some of you will be curious about understanding them, so here is a personal (and rough, as usual) translation of my #33 song, "La bombe humaine" by Téléphone. It will give you an idea of what it's about, although it's always hard to transcript the subtext, the rhymes and the subtleties of the language. It goes like this :

I want to tell you about tomorrow’s weapon
Born into this world, it will be the end of it
I want to tell you about me, about you
I can see within images and colors
That are not mine and scare me sometimes
Feelings, that can drive me mad
Our senses are our strings, we poor puppets
Our senses are the direct way to our heads

The human bomb, you hold it in your hand
You’ve got the detonator right next to your heart
The human bomb, it’s you, she belongs to you
If you let anyone decide of your own fate
It’s the end... the end… The end

My father can’t sleep without his painkillers
Mom can’t work without her pep pills
Someone sells them what they need to keep going
I am an electron bombed with protons
The rhythm of the city is my real boss
I am loaded with electricity
If I unfortunately meet at the heart of the accelerator
A particle that messes with my mood
Oooh, I’d better not let myself drift
I’d better not let myself drift, no…

The human bomb, you hold it in your hand
You’ve got the detonator right next to your heart
The human bomb, it’s you, she belongs to you
If you let anyone decide of your own fate
It’s the end...

Human bomb
Tomorrow’s weapon
Human bomb
You hold it in your hand
Human bomb
It’s you, she belongs to you
If you ever let someone take what’s holding you
It’s the end.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

NSpan wrote:
Chienfantome wrote:And this song suddenly made me a bit nostalgic, after the death of my childhood cat 3 days ago.
I think I can speak for the beeb as a whole when I say: nous partageons votre peine en ce moment de deuil. Nos sincères condoléances, à vous et à votre famille.
Thanks NSpan ! It's nice of you to say that.
Is your French good enough to write this down, or did you get a little help ?^^
I would just say that between us, you can tell me "tu" and not "vous", which is much too polite for the two of us.
Thanks again man :)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

I can only do some at this time.

Six: Black Sabbath, "Paranoid" - Great, great song. One of the few I used to be able to play on guitar lol.

Geezer: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get" - Although I"m not a fan of the pop-ska scene, but I always liked this song. Great melody, and just a fun time.

leestu: Rage Against The Machine, “Killing In The Name” - Rage is a great band, though I used to enjoy them alot more than I do today. Still like most of their first album though, including this song, which is awesome.

silversurfer: Radiohead, “Exit Music (For A Film)” - Everything off this album is great. I'm sure at least some of you know this, but this song is about Romeo and Juliet, and was originally going to be the end credits song for Luhrman's film with Winslet and DiCaprio, which is where it got the title. They still have a song on the soundtrack called Talk Show Host, which is amazing.

transformers: Metallica, “Creeping Death” - Old Metallica is always great. Fun, heavy stuff.

W: Merle Haggard, “Fightin' Side of Me” - Merle Haggard is one of the few country singers I like.

englishozzy: System of a Down, "Lonely Day” - I fall on the side that likes SOAD, and always liked this song in particular off this album.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Xymox, “Obsession” (1989) - Never heard of these guys before. But I can kinda see why they didn't catch on. It really did feel like a sub-par The Cure. And this song doesn't really have anything that The Cure couldn't offer. It's not bad, though.

NSpan: King Crimson, “Starless” - Listened to the entire thing, and I've mixed feelings about it. At times I loved it. The first part was only okay, but it starts kicking off on Part 2, building and building into something that could be really special. But then when that climax comes, it turns inot this explosion of funk and jazz, and even though I like elements of both genres, this just seemed a little irritating to me. It felt more pretentious than a natural climax - kinda like if your partner broke into poetry while having an orgasm: Sure, there's talent there, but now's not the time and place. I might give it another go (listening to the song, that is).

Geezer: Nirvana, "All Apologies" (also Buscemi's #40) - Yep, still a great song, and looking forward to more Nirvana from you.

becs: My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You” - there has been WAY too much of these guys in the past 9 (!) weeks. I have given them a chance, in that I've listened to every song. I can't say I hate them (except for the lead singer, his over-acting in all of his videos could earn him a role in Glee), but they'll never move me in any way.

undeadmonkey: Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), “Mendocino County Line” - That's the problem with Willie. At times he was great, and at other times he was so darn corny. Guess which one this is.

leestu: Spacemen 3, “Revolution” (1989) - Wow, an original and its cover both in your Top 100. You must really love that song, man. I think you got the order right, though, as I prefer this version just a little more. I love the distortion, the sonics, the whole lo-fi approach. It's psychadelic, but unlike a lot of that music it doesn't get lost in itself. Love it. And it was good to see a young J. Spaceman from Spiritualized in the video. Any recommendations on what Spaceman 3 record to start with? And I'm sure you know them, but if you haven't you should check out Suicide, who were a big influence on these guys.

Buscemi: Oasis, “Wonderwall” (also englishozzy's #37) - I kinda said everything I wanted to say about wonderwall a few days ago. And I know we'll be hearing it again, probably in someone's Top 10. All I can add is that after hearing it twice in a week, I'm sick of it again. Makes me wonder if Oasis are the new Beatles or just the new Simple Minds.

silversurfer: The Jesus And Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey” - Oh I remember this song from Lost in Translation. I'm gonna have to do my best to disassociate the song from the awful, awful film. It starts off okay, but gets a little boring, but once the melody kicks in and the pace livens up it becomes a really great guitar pop song. Think I prefer Leetsu's pick a tad mroe, but this is great stuff.

transformers: Muse, “Hysteria” (also becs' #39)
englishozzy: Muse, "Plug In Baby”
Oh god, if I hear much more Muse in the next few weeks I may explode. I hated them before, and hearing them even more is making things even worse.

W: Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies), “Machine Gun” - Not as enjoyable as the other Hendrix stuff that's been posted, but perhaps that's because I don't know this one, and will have to get into it more.

Banks: M.I.A., “World Town” - I quite like MIA. I'm really looking forward to her new album. If you haven't heard it, check out Born Free, which samples a Suicide song. I like this song, there's stuff on Kala I think is better, but I do appreciate her attempt to make hip-hop that doesn't sound like everything else.

BarcaRulz: Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down” - the music is alright, but the lyrics aren't as good as they have been. Nothing to get excited about.

Ron Burgundy: Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, “Afrika Shox” - I think there's something a little too low-key about this song, and obviously I prefer Leftfield's 'Dusted', but I did enjoy it. It's good to see another Chris Cunningham video, too.

Chienfantome: Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine” - It wasn't bad, but it did sound very 70's, in a mind of proggy/ bombastic rock/new wavey way (like a mix between Floyd and the Stranglers). And that isn't my sort of thing.

Frendo: Velvet Underground, “Heroin” - Ah, this came so close to being in my Top 100. Not only is it about heroin, but it sounds like the haze of heroin's high (I imagine!). A brilliant, psychadelic, yet focused song.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote: Come on....5 words in 3 full verses and you condemn the entire song?
Well, of course, if they indicate what the ambition is.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
leestu: Spacemen 3, “Revolution” (1989) - Wow, an original and its cover both in your Top 100. You must really love that song, man. I think you got the order right, though, as I prefer this version just a little more. I love the distortion, the sonics, the whole lo-fi approach. It's psychadelic, but unlike a lot of that music it doesn't get lost in itself. Love it. And it was good to see a young J. Spaceman from Spiritualized in the video. Any recommendations on what Spaceman 3 record to start with? And I'm sure you know them, but if you haven't you should check out Suicide, who were a big influence on these guys.
I gave picking both a lot of thought but ultimately I think the 2 versions are different enough, and both are strong enough to each be included on their own merits. The album this track is from,"Playing With Fire", is my personal favourite, but "Sound Of Confusion", and "The Perfect Prescription" are also worthwhile. I would be confident in any of these 3 hooking anyone slightly interested. "The Perfect Prescription" is an interesting concept album about the highs and lows of drug use, and "Sound Of Confusion" is their great debut album. If you end up listening to "Playing With Fire" I would be interested to know what you think of the song "Suicide". Speaking of which, now that you mention them, I remember having a couple of Suicide songs on a mixed tape and wanted to hear more but I never managed to get my hands on an album. Being over 15 years ago I had forgotten about them until now. Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully it's a lot easier now to find and listen to.

I am missing commenting on all the songs each day but now I am back at work, with a lot more songs each day, video buffering issues, and a shared family computer, it just ain't possible to keep up. I am listening to as many as I can each day and fully intend to go back at some stage and hear every single one I've missed.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - Xymox, “Obsession”
Felt similar to yesterdays song, either that or im losing it. It was OK, non-eventful for me though. 5/10
NSpan - King Crimson, “Starless”
Listened to the whole song, bit drawn out at times but overall not bad of a song. 5/10
Numbersix - Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps”
Not a song you would automatically think of when you think of this band which is a shame as this is a really good song. 8/10
Geezer - Nirvana, "All Apologies"
Great song, glad you showed the same video as i love this live version. 8/10
becs - My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You”
Preferred "Cancer" a whole lot better over this one, unfortunatley this one never really clicked for me. 5/10
undeadmonkey - Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), “Mendocino County Line”
Never really clicked with me this one. Doesn't help that i dont normally listen to country music. 4/10
leestu - Spacemen 3, “Revolution”
It was an OK, just wish the lyrics went as hard as the music did. 5/10
Buscemi - Oasis, “Wonderwall”
Cant complain about this one. 10/10
silversurfer - The Jesus And Mary Chain, “Just Like Honey”
Actually quite enjoyed this song, everything seemed to fit in really well. Good pick. 7/10
transformers - Muse, “Hysteria”
Still one of my favourite Muse songs. 9/10
W - Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies), “Machine Gun”
Shame about the sound quality as this was a class song. Once again amazing guitar work from the best in the world. 7/10
Banks - M.I.A., “World Town”
Sorry but could not get into this song at all. Sounds a bit like Gwen Stefani though. 3/10
BarcaRulz - Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down”
I quite liked Arctic Monkeys first album as they were quite unique but their second album has really dissapointed so not quite sure what to think of this band yet. 6/10
Ron Burgundy - Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, “Afrika Shox”
Couldn't get into this song at all im afraid, not really my style of music. 2/10
Chienfantome - Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine”
Preffered your other French speaking one to this one, probably this one was a bit too far out my era to really enjoy. 4/10
Frendo - Velvet Underground, “Heroin”
Definately the best Velvet Underground song i have heard on this countdown. Quite enjoyed the whole song. 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"