Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #8): #30-#21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #8): #30-#21

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Six
The Rapture “out of the races and onto the tracks”
Good band, not great live though for some reason

Geezer
Nirvana “Lithium”
Top choice mate! 9.5/10

Leestu
Lou Reed “Walk on the wild side”

This Lou reed song, i actually dont mind. 6/10

Buscemi
Crowded House “Don’t dream it’s over”

Not bad. 6.5/10

W
The Rolling Stones “Can’t you hear me knockin ?”

I was gonna pick this one, very glad it showed up in the countdown, great pick mate. 8/10

Englishozzy
Sum 41 “In too deep”

Meh. 4/10

BarcaRulz
Queen “We are the champions”

Great song. 7/10

Shrykespeare
Cruise Control, “No Condom, No Sex” (1988)

Dont know it. Sorry

NSpan
Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away” (1973)

Will give this a go if LOTR inspired the lyrics. Didnt know Zeppelin were into that kinda thing

Numbersix
You're from Ireland? Well i cant hear that accent!

becs
The Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”

Not bad, but not something i would put on. 4.5/10

Buscemi
Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train”

Good pick. 7/10

silversurfer
The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black” (1966) (also W's #63 and BarcaRulz's #31)

Great choice my kiwi friend, im sure this isn't the only Stones song left in the countdown. 7.5/10

Banks
Lauryn Hill, “Nothing Even Matters”

I think i hate her, not sure why

englishozzy
Staind, “It's Been Awhile” (also BarcaRulz's #68)

This is also a tad commercial, i really dislike this song, not a good song. 1/10

BarcaRulz
Stereophonics, "Dakota" (also Chienfantome's #45)

Watched a doco on these guys recently, made me wanna hear them more

Chienfantome
She & Him, “Sweet Darlin'”

Dunno em. Sorry

“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Chienfantome wrote:Shrykespeare
Joe Satriani « Lords of Karma »[/b]
On the paper I can totally appreciate an instrumental rock song. But this one didn’t really do anything for me (a big wink to NSpan if he reads this). I didn’t really like the sound of the guitar.
:D
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Cruise Control, “No Condom, No Sex” (1988) - Oh dear, what have I done? If I'd known the song would be like this I wouldn't have looked so hard for you ;) Seriously though, for an intentional issue song I've heard a lot worse (just listen to any of the world cup songs around at the moment). It has a decent beat, and I could actually hear this being played on the dance floor in the 80's. It kinda reminded me of a New Order song.

NSpan: Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away” (1973) - Maybe I listened to this at the right place and the right time, but this blew me away. I find a lot of Zepp songs are very much dependent on a main riff, but this was quite different. I loved the build up, I loved the guitar-playing. Great tune.

Geezer: Incubus, "I Miss You"- Go easy, eh? Well, I normally hate Incubus and this wasn't half as bad as some of their other stuff. That's the best I can do.

becs: The Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” - I'm not a fan of the Eurythmics at all (although I do like their 1984 soundtrack) but this song is a classic. Love the synths and the lyrics always intrigued me.

undeadmonkey: Dido, “White Flag” - Dido is an absolute bore. Whatever happened to her? This song is probably her best, it's nice in sentiment and in her vocals, but it always feels like a proto-Grey's Anatomy song to me.

leestu: Dinosaur Jr, “Freak Scene” (1988) - I'll have too give this another listen. There's something about this sogn that comes across as indistinct. Maybe because the tune is hidden beneath a lot of reverb (as opposed to Spaceman 3, where the tune WAS the reverb), so I really need to give it more attention. As it stands it was good but far from mind-blowing.

Buscemi: Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train” - Didn't really impress me. It felt a bit tired compared to the energy of the Sabbath stuff that has been posted so far.

silversurfer: The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black” (1966) (also W's #63 and BarcaRulz's #31) - I love this song, it's definitely one of the Stones best. Funny how I never paid attention to the lyrics much. Good point about the drums.

transformers: Brand New, “Sowing Season (Yeah)” - When the song commenced I was indeed surprised, but then it got all screamy and I knew we were back in Tranny territory.

W: Heartbreaker, “Led Zeppelin” - Another new-to-me Zepp song. Not as good as NSpan's pick but still excellent.

Banks: Lauryn Hill, “Nothing Even Matters” - Like Dido above, I don't find Lauryn Hill offensive, but I just find her boring. I find a lot of people who don't like music much have a copy of her album (preset company excepted). It's the kind of thing 30-somethings play during dinner parties. Something to ignore.

englishozzy: Staind, “It's Been Awhile” (also BarcaRulz's #68) - I don't remember when Barca picked it, but I'm sure I disliked it. I sure as hell dislike it now. If I find numetal and corporate rock acts all sound the same, they're even more similar and indistinct when they do unplugged versions.

BarcaRulz: Stereophonics, "Dakota" (also Chienfantome's #45)- What I said 2 weeks ago still applies.

Ron Burgundy: The Bloody Beetroots, “Butter” - I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to this. I liked the beat at first, but I don't think it was much beyond that, and it grew tired for me.

Chienfantome: She & Him, “Sweet Darlin'” - I'm surprised to see a second She & Him song in a collective Top 1500 songs, or whatever you'd call it. She and Him are another nice band from the alt-country indie scene. With an added dash of nostalgia, as you rightly say, Chien. But I could never get passionate about them.

Frendo: Green Day, “Welcome to Paradise” - Not bad. Certainly leaning to the better side of Green Day.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Numbersix -- The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” (2001)
I've listened to this track an obscene number of times since you posted it. I'd thank you for sharing, but it's becoming a problem.
Hah! The very same thing happened to me (and to think this was in the rather unimpressive Rules of Attraction soundtrack). And I'm still not sick of it, after 7 years of the song! Got it on the Rough Trade Shop's Post Punk compilation. I seriously recommend it to you. It's where I discovered acts like Liquid Liquid and Pigbag.
Ron B wrote:Good band, not great live though for some reason
Wow, you must have seen them on an off-day. I've seen them twice (2003 and 2005), and they're one of the best live bands. They're full of energy, their songs are even more powerful live, and their sax/cowbell player does the most mesmerising dances.
You're from Ireland? Well i cant hear that accent!
I'll make sure to add more begorrahs and bejesuses to my posts then!
Last edited by numbersix on June 14th, 2010, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Geezer says:
I think Ozzy and I actually share VERY similar tastes to begin with Boosh
Least someone likes my music taste :P
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Ron Burgundy wrote:NSpan

Will give this a go if LOTR inspired the lyrics. Didnt know Zeppelin were into that kinda thing
More than you'll ever (want to) know.
numbersix wrote:
NSpan wrote: Numbersix -- The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” (2001)
I've listened to this track an obscene number of times since you posted it. I'd thank you for sharing, but it's becoming a problem.
Hah! The very same thing happened to me (and to think this was in the rather unimpressive Rules of Attraction soundtrack). And I'm still not sick of it, after 7 years of the song! Got it on the Rough Trade Shop's Post Punk compilation. I seriously recommend it to you. It's where I discovered acts like Liquid Liquid and Pigbag.
Shit... I might really have to check that out... The two other things I meant to say about your original song/video was (1) that fan-made video is fucking annoying as hell... those girls need a REAL turntable, and they need to donate all those warped records to the Salvation Army.... and (2) if you listen juuuust right, sometimes you can hear them singing "Starlight Express. Starlight Express! STARLIGHT EXPRESS. STARLIGHT EXPRESS! STARLIGHT EXPRESS!!" a la mode P. Griffin. (insight provided by Kate)
Last edited by NSpan on June 14th, 2010, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - Cruise Control, “No Condom, No Sex”
Obviously very powerful lyrics but sounded a bit too much like the 80's for my liking. It was OK at times though. 5/10
NSpan - Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away”
Not one of my favourite songs from Led Zeppelin but this is still probably leaning more to their good side of music. 6/10
Numbersix - Sun Kil Moon, “Duk Koo Kim”3
A pretty good song, wish it was more condensed down as it got kinda repetitive during the course of the song. 6/10
Geezer - Incubus, "I Miss You"
Great song, have always been a fan of Incubus and have been recently playing their greatest hits album at work. 8/10
becs - The Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”
I agree, a song that has been used so many times for other artists, still cant beat the original though. 6/10
undeadmonkey - Dido, “White Flag”
For some reason Dido has always had a soft spot in me that quite enjoyed her music even though its something i wouldnt normally listen to. 8/10
leestu - Dinosaur Jr, “Freak Scene”
Im gonna hold a little bit of judgment as this being a live version, not really my style of music but there was something there that will make me find a studio version. 5/10
Buscemi - Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train”
Great pick, my favourite Ozzy song post Black Sabbath. 8/10
silversurfer - The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black”
Not my style, although i did listen to it out of respect :). 4/10
transformers - Brand New, “Sowing Season (Yeah)”
Could never really get into Brand New and this song didn't really help. Loved the video though, remember playing that game but was never that good. 4/10
W - Heartbreaker, “Led Zeppelin”
Definately preferred this Zepp song to the earlier one, and absolutely loved the guitar solo in the middle. 8/10
Banks - Lauryn Hill, “Nothing Even Matters”
It was an OK but a bit too R&B for my liking, easy listening though i admit that. 5/10
BarcaRulz - Stereophonics, "Dakota"
Haven't heard this song in years then all of a sudden ive heard it twice in a matter of weeks. Great song. 8/10
Ron Burgundy - The Bloody Beetroots, “Butter”
Definately not my scene, wont comment on it being repetitive but... 3/10
Chienfantome - She & Him, “Sweet Darlin'”
I do admit that some of their music can be a little catchy but not something i would listen to often. 4/10
Frendo - Green Day, “Welcome to Paradise”
These guys are one of the few bands that cannot do anything wrong in my eyes. Good pick. 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ten songs score a “7” or better... that is a record. And wow... amazing that Led Zeppelin accounts for both my favorite and LEAST favorite song of the day!

My thoughts (in order of preference):

NSpan – Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away” – Nicky, I don't know if one of your songs has EVER graced the top of my daily dose o' music, but if this is the first time, then it's about effing time. This is my second favorite LZ song as well (after “Kashmir”, of course). Great, great choice. (9)

Frendo – Green Day, “Welcome to Paradise” – This is up there with my favorite Green Day songs. Maybe not Top 5, but definitely Top 10. (9)

undeadmonkey – Dido, “White Flag” – My favorite Dido song, but if there's a version that I like as much, it's this one, which was performed by Howard Jones a few years ago. Just a great song. (8)

becs – Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" – Ah, yes, the video that introduced the world to the eccentric yet awesome power and sexuality of Annie Lennox. One of true 80's divas, and this video was an early EARLY favorite on MTV. I share your wonder as to their scarcity on this countdown as well, becs. (In my defense, I like a lot of their stuff, but really none that I love unconditionally. I actually really like the Eurythmics follow-up to "Sweet Dreams" the most, the little-remembered "Love Is a Stranger".) (8)

BarcaRulz – Stereophonics, “Dakota” – Still like it. A lot. (8)

silversurfer – The Rolling Stones, “Paint it Black” – Wow, that's three. I guess this song is pretty good. (8)

Ron Burgundy – The Bloody Beetroots, “Butter” – Well, you already know that I like electro (hell, just listen to MY song tonight...). I actually thought this was way cool. (7)

numbersix – Sun Kil Moon, “Duk Koo Kim” – I had to go back and re-listen to “Wild Orchids” (your other Sun Kil Moon song, #94) because I couldn't remember why I liked it. And it's for all the reasons you said here, for this song, which I like equally. (7)

Buscemi – Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train” – A metal classic. 'Nuff said. (7)

englishozzy – Staind, “It's Been Awhile” – Good song. Not my favorite Staind song, but still good. (7)

Geezer – Incubus, “I Miss You” – Nice song. Not terribly memorable to me, but I respect that you and your GF have a “song” that defines your relationship. I am a hopeless romantic at heart, and I totally respect that. (6)

Banks – Lauryn Hill with D'Angelo, “Nothing Even Matters” – The top comment for this video had it right. It's “the ultimate chill-out song”. Very pleasant. Nothing I'd actively seek out or listen to, but still good. (6)

Chienfantome – She & Him, “Sweet Darlin'” – Chien, you weren't here when Banks posted his #60 song, which was a She & Him song, “Why Do You Let Me Stay Here”. So rest assured, you are not the only fan here. I, on the other hand, am undecided. It sounds a little too '60's “a-go-go” for me. (5)

leestu – Dinosaur Jr., “Freak Scene” – I would probably rate this higher if the sound quality was better. I could barely hear the lead singer singing. (5)

transformers – Brand New, “Sowing Season (Yeah)” – The song was okay; hated the video. (5)

W – Led Zeppelin, “Heartbreaker” – This is NOT one of my favorite LZ songs. I actually find the riff rather annoying. (Yeah, I SAID it.) (4)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Shit... I might really have to check that out... The two other things I meant to say about your original song/video was (1) that fan-made video is fucking annoying as hell... those girls need a REAL turntable, and they need to donate all those warped records to the Salvation Army.... and (2) if you listen juuuust right, sometimes you can hear them singing "Starlight Express. Starlight Express! STARLIGHT EXPRESS. STARLIGHT EXPRESS! STARLIGHT EXPRESS!!" a la mode P. Griffin. (insight provided by Kate)
I actually haven't watched the video through fully. I basically chose the one with the best sound quality, like I do with all of my vids. Having watched it now I shuddered at the sight of those records being rolled across the floor. Think of the scratches! Not like I care, I've only a handful of records and no player in my apartment. Oh, and tell your other half she's insane. You make a fitting couple.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare - Cruise Control, “No Condom, No Sex”
Is it wrong that I half expected this to be a parody of Marley's "No Woman, No Cry?" Anyway, its extremely you, Shryke, which means I'm not really going to like it.

NSpan - Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away”
Pretty darn good.

Numbersix - Sun Kil Moon, “Duk Koo Kim”
pleasant enough, but rather boring.

becs - The Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”
Awesome song.

undeadmonkey - Dido, “White Flag”
meh

leestu - Dinosaur Jr, “Freak Scene”
I'm still not a big fan of this group, even though its still cool that they are from two towns over.

Buscemi - Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train”
Definitely the best post Sabbath Ozzy!

silversurfer - The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black”
Still absolutely awesome

transformers - Brand New, “Sowing Season (Yeah)”
I kinda dug this track, maybe I should give the band some more looks.

W - Heartbreaker, “Led Zeppelin”
The riff is SO DAMN STRONG in this song. Nothing else really matters about it, I'm in from note one.

Banks - Lauryn Hill, “Nothing Even Matters”
She does have a really, really god voice, I'll give you that.

englishozzy - Staind, “It's Been Awhile” (also BarcaRulz's #68)
Still an excellent song by a great band that comes from about 10 minutes from here.

BarcaRulz - Stereophonics, "Dakota"
I really did this song, even more so the second time around.

Ron Burgundy - The Bloody Beetroots, “Butter”
This is so NOT my type of music. At all. Now with that out of the way, I actually kinda liked it. It had some really strong sounds in there. Although it does get kinda repetitive and could have been about a minute shorter hehe. I guess if I ever needed a song like this for whatever reason, this is where I would turn. I'd probably have to be pretty drunk to need that though.

Chienfantome - She & Him, “Sweet Darlin"
I still think this woman needs to stick to ACTING because she can not really sing. That said, this was better than the other, if only for the fact that it seemed like something that came straight out of the 50s, which is cool for a modern band to have a throwback feel like that, and I liked the strings quite a bit.

Frendo - Green Day, “Welcome to Paradise”
Very good song, probably my favorite song by them that didn't make my list.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote: silversurfer – The Rolling Stones, “Paint it Black” – Wow, that's three. I guess this song is pretty good. (8)
And it was one of my last songs cut too, somewhere in the 115-106 range. Yeah, its pretty darn good.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

SONG #30

Shrykespeare
Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma” (1987)

He has talent, but like I said all his songs tend to sound repetitive and in the end I almost always just phase out. 4/10.

NSpan
The Kinks, “Muswell Hillbilly” (1971)

Really not a fan of the overall sound of this song. 3/10.

Numbersix
The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” (2001)

I liked it for the most part. Vocals were a little annoying at times. 6/10.

Geezer
Nirvana, "Lithium" (also Ron Burgundy's #50 and W's #44)

Will be coming up for me as well. 10/10.

becs
Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King”

Liked some of it, but found some if it to be extremely annoying. 4/10.

undeadmonkey
Lady Antebellum, “Hello World”

Had its moments (the piano basically). 4/10.

leestu
Lou Reed, “Walk On The Wild Side” (1972)

Didn't like it. 3/10.

Buscemi
Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over” (also Shrykespeare's #95)

While I like this song, it will always be linked to a bad memory from my childhood so I don't like listening to it alot. (I don't know if that makes sense to you guys..). 6.5/10.

silversurfer
The National, “Mr. November” (2005)

New to me and I liked it alot. Nice pick. 8.5/10.

transformers
Volbeat, “Sad Man's Tongue”

I was surprised that I actually liked it. New to me. Fun pick. 6.5/10.

W
The Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'”

Not one of my favorites from them, but I still like it. 6.5/10.

Banks
The Notorious B.I.G., “Gimme The Loot”

Not even a little bit. 1/10.

englishozzy
Sum 41, “In Too Deep”

Fun in little doses. Haven't heard it in a while so I enjoyed it. 6/10.

Ron Burgundy
Keane, “Nothing In My Way”

Liked it. Not my favorite of theirs, but still good. 7/10.

Chienfantome
Archive, “Friend”

Was Ok in parts, but never really got into it. 4/10.

Frendo
2Pac, “Blasphemy”

Don't like rap, but at least this is better than most. 4/10.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

SONG #29

Shrykespeare
Cruise Control, “No Condom, No Sex” (1988)

Never got into it. 3/10.

NSpan

Love LZ, and while this isn't one of my favorites, it's still very good. 7/10.

Numbersix
Sun Kil Moon, “Duk Koo Kim” (2001)

Way too long so it obviously dragged, but it was nice and had a 'peaceful' sound to it which I liked. 6/10.

Geezer
Incubus, "I Miss You"

Not bad, but never really grabbed my attention. 5/10.

becs
The Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”

I was beginging to wonder if this song was ever going to show up. Have always liked it. To be totally honest I thought Shryke would pick this. 7/10.

undeadmonkey
Dido, “White Flag”

I like some of her music, and this one is definitely one of her better ones. 6.5/10.

leestu
Dinosaur Jr, “Freak Scene” (1988)

Didn't like it. 2/10.

Buscemi
Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train”

Nice pick. Especially love the music in this song. 7.5/10.

silversurfer
The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black” (1966) (also W's #63 and BarcaRulz's #31)

Obviously I love it. 10/10.

transformers
Brand New, “Sowing Season (Yeah)”

Liked it for the most part. Especially the music. 6.5/10.

W
Heartbreaker, “Led Zeppelin”

I don't mind this one, but there are far better LZ songs out there IMO. 5.5/10.

Banks
Lauryn Hill, “Nothing Even Matters”

Didn't like it. 2/10.

englishozzy
Staind, “It's Been Awhile” (also BarcaRulz's #68)

Love it. 10/10.

Ron Burgundy
The Bloody Beetroots, “Butter”

It was repetitive, but it kept me interested the whole way through. Liked it. 6/10.

Chienfantome
She & Him, “Sweet Darlin'”

Didn't really get into it, and repetitive would be an understatement. 3/10.

Frendo
Green Day, “Welcome to Paradise”

Have always liked this one. Nice pick. 7/10.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Shrykespeare wrote: becs – Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" – Ah, yes, the video that introduced the world to the eccentric yet awesome power and sexuality of Annie Lennox. One of true 80's divas, and this video was an early EARLY favorite on MTV. I share your wonder as to their scarcity on this countdown as well, becs. (In my defense, I like a lot of their stuff, but really none that I love unconditionally. I actually really like the Eurythmics follow-up to "Sweet Dreams" the most, the little-remembered "Love Is a Stranger".) (8)
Yea, after all this and nothing from them, I am kind of regretting not moving Here Comes the Rain Again up into my top 100 :( another great song.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So far, the following playes have gotten their first AND second guesses in:

transformers
undeadmonkey
silversurfer

The following have only gotten their first guesses in:

Ron Burgundy
numbersix

Everyone else: you have three days to get yours in.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)