Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Post by Buscemi »

I saw Cadillac Records during its brief theatrical run back in 2008. Better than most music dramas and with a great cast to boot. It probably also helped that the director also directed for Homicide: Life On The Street (a favorite show from when I was younger).

I would now love to see a film about Chuck Berry's life (it might be too complicated to do though since his story would take well over two hours to tell).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shrykespeare
Rob Thomas, “Little Wonders” (2007) - I thought it was kind of... well... really bad.

NSpan
Cream, “Tales of Brave Ulysses” (1967) - Funny enough, this didn't come with my "Complete Clapton" album even though other Cream/D&tD songs did. I really liked it, though I have other Cream songs I like better (two are in my top 10, 4 songs Clapton played on in the top 15).

Numbersix
Marvin Gaye, “I Heard it Through the Grapevine” (1968) - Great song. A real classic.

Geezer
Disturbed, “The Game” - The only Distrurbed song that I like is "The Sickness" and I like the lounge version on Dawn of the Dead better... They didn't do that version.

becs
Everclear, “Father of Mine” - I'm not a big fan of theirs, just mostly ambivilent. But this is probably my favorite of theirs.

undeadmonkey
The Veronicas, “Untouched” - Sorry. For me, that was completely throwaway.

leestu
Sonic Youth, “Dirty Boots” (1991) - I wasn't a big fan of this one...

Buscemi
Talking Heads, “And She Was” - Didn't like anything but the bassline from this one.

silversurfer
The Animals, “House Of The Rising Sun” - Everything about this song is great. The vocals, organ, and I really like the riff.

transformers
Vampire Weekend, “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa” - I like the instrumentals, but not the song...

englishozzy
My Chemical Romance, "I'm Not OK” - ...it's not ok...

BarcaRulz
The Offspring, “Self Esteem” (also Geezer's #95) - This has to be one of Offspring's better songs. I really like the vocalist's voice.

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, “Karma Police” - Not something that would ever be a favorite of mine, but decent enough.

Chienfantome
DeVotchka, “How It Ends” - I can see how it could be used very well in a film, but as a musical piece, I'd rather not listen to it.

Frendo
K’s Choice, “Not An Addict” - Nice vocals/lyrics.

I was looking stuff up for K's choice and stumbled onto something that some Aussies may want to listen to (maybe not). It's Nick Cave and Johnny Cash doing "I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry" towards the end of Johnny's life:

Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Surfer :
Thank you for noticing the Bond-esque sound in "The Dark is Rising" ^_^

Shryke :
I did not know that DeVotchka was the opening act of Muse at the Stade de France this week !!!!! Damn, I wish this had been in a smaller hall... I would have taken a ticket, but the stade de France is wayyyy too big for my own taste !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke
MGMT « Time to Pretend »

I discovered it with 21. I did not really like it at first, but then it kind of grew on me, and those sounds that were annoying at first, I’ve started to like them. Now we’ve heard it so much, that I’m beginning to like it much less. I largely prefer “Kids”, but “Time to pretend” is a good song.

NSpan
Tom Waits “Goin down slow”

It’s funny, I really don’t recognize Tom Waits here. I prefer him with his cigarettes addict voice, but this is a nice little song.

Number6
Nina Simone “Wild is the wind”

I love Nina Simone. One of her songs is high on my list. Great choice, Six.

Geezer
Weezer, “Buddy Holly”

I don’t think I had ever heard this song. Very American. Listenable. Not really my trip.

Becs
Muse “Hysteria”

There are songs of Muse I am not a fan of, and some I really like. This isn’t one of my favourites, but I like its energy. Nice.

Undeadmonkey
Other lives “Black tables”

Never heard of this band, never heard this song. I really like the piano work in it. I really like it in its entirety, in fact. Great song.

Leestu
The Jesus and Mary Chain “Never understand”

Once again, someone and something I had never heard. I must confess the feedback assault annoys me a bit. Well, more than a bit.

Buscemi
Joy Division “Love will tear us apart”

Wonderful choice Buscemi. Joy Division’s best work. Needless to say more.

Silversurfer
Smashing Pumpkins “Siva”

I love some of the Smashing’s work, but this one, not so much.

Transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan “Widower”

There’s something inside this song. I don’t know what, but there’s something. Overall, some good and some bad.

W
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band “Fishin in the dark”

Whatever it is, it’s funny to hear such a song here ! It makes it kind of refreshing.

Englishozzy
Porcupine tree “Lazarus”

Nice song to listen to, the voice is enjoyable, the music easy on the hear. Not great, but not bad^^

Barca
Hard-fi “Living for the weekend”

I wasn’t convinced by the beginning of the song, but as it kept going, developing, I found it better, and in the end I had a little blast listening to this. Thanks Barca !

Ron B
The Police “Message in a bottle”

I grew up with The Police and then Sting, with parents that loved the band and listened to it a lot while I was a child. So I can’t complain listening to Message in a Bottle here. It’s definitely one of their best !

Frendo
Lynyrd Synyrd “That smell”

I don’t really know this band besides “Sweet home Alabama”. This ain’t bad.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Chienfantome: DeVotchka, “How It Ends” - In many ways this is indeed a very beautiful song. I love the tension going on in it, the pull and tug between hope/joy and melancholy (spleen!). It certainly made Little Miss Sunshine seem like a better film than it was. So Everything is Illuminated is worth watching? Back to the song, I really like it..... but.... not enough to endure 6 minutes, as it kinda feels like it's being played twice. 3 minutes and it's done.
YES ! Everything is Illuminated is definitely worth watching, Six. A delicate and hilarious human journey. Schreiber is one of the best actor of his generation, and he has a lot of potential as a filmmaker. Excellent, for a first film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Shrykespeare
Rob Thomas, “Little Wonders” (2007)
Don't like much by this guy, except the song he did with Santana. Just throwaway rock that is made to be played in Macy's, as far as I'm concerned.

NSpan
Cream, “Tales of Brave Ulysses” (1967)
I know some Cream (mostly the hits) and have liked it, but I like this more than I do what I've heard. Is this a single? Is it on a greatest hits, or only on a certain album? I could get more into this for sure.

Numbersix
Marvin Gaye, “I Heard it Through the Grapevine” (1968)
Great song, great artist. One of my fav's of the genre.

Geezer
Disturbed, “The Game”
I hate this band. I still listened to the song, even though I've heard it before, and it's one of their more listenable tunes, but it doesn't change my opinion at all. Just over-produced metal with no edge, which is one genre that really should not be overproduced.

becs
Everclear, “Father of Mine”
Link was dead. Here's a new one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8uamNDLEA0
Heard this song alot when it was big, and hated it. I did like it better this time around for whatever reason. I remember reading a book on the grunge days, and they were discussed a bit, which made me possibly like them more as well. I might check out some of their other stuff now.

undeadmonkey
The Veronicas, “Untouched”
This wasn't really my thing. Reminded me of a band a few years back called Tatu. Just basic dance music, without any originality or feeling that I could gather.

leestu
Sonic Youth, “Dirty Boots” (1991)
I like Sonic Youth, so of course I like this, as it's off a classic album. While I personally like Daydream Nation best, this whole album is still good.

I'll have to do the rest later...

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

frendo wrote: becs
Heard this song alot when it was big, and hated it. I did like it better this time around for whatever reason. I remember reading a book on the grunge days, and they were discussed a bit, which made me possibly like them more as well. I might check out some of their other stuff now.
Are you calling them dead links just because they aren't embeddable? cause so far all the ones that you have said are dead that has been the case. We agreed basically within the first couple days that vids that don't allow embedding were fine, because in lots of cases finding one that would allow embedding meant compromising the quality. You just need to double click the video instead of single click and they will open directly on the youtube site.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The link's not dead, frendo, it's just that some videos don't play in our little venue. All you have to do is click on the video, and it will open the YouTube link in a new window.

Believe me, I check every link before I post it to see if it's good.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

becs wrote:
frendo wrote: becs
Are you calling them dead links just because they aren't embeddable? cause so far all the ones that you have said are dead that has been the case. We agreed basically within the first couple days that vids that don't allow embedding were fine, because in lots of cases finding one that would allow embedding meant compromising the quality. You just need to double click the video instead of single click and they will open directly on the youtube site.
Oh, my bad. Sorry bout that.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - Rob Thomas, “Little Wonders”
I'm actually one of those rare people that enjoyed him more as Matchbox 20. Not to say that this song is totally bad. 5/10
NSpan - Cream, “Tales of Brave Ulysses”
Couldn't fully get into this song but it had something going for it. 4/10
Numbersix - Marvin Gaye, “I Heard it Through the Grapevine”
Surprisingly i dont mind listening to this song. A song that could easily unwind me after a stressful day. 7/10
Geezer - Disturbed, “The Game”
Great pick, also one of my favourite songs from these guys. The verse certainly gets you hooked. 8/10
becs - Everclear, “Father of Mine”
Quite enjoyed the song, have heard it before but never thought that it was an Everclear song, Good pick. 7/10
undeadmonkey - The Veronicas, “Untouched”
Wouldn't really compare these to the Tings Tings, unfortunately i have heard these girls attempt to sing live on TV and they completley lost my respect after that. 3/10
leestu - Sonic Youth, “Dirty Boots”
Have this song on my Ipod, came across it a few years ago. Good pick. 7/10
Buscemi - Talking Heads, “And She Was”
A song that i quite enjoyed when it had its time, but unfortunately hasn't aged very well for me. 5/10
silversurfer - The Animals, “House Of The Rising Sun”
Probably shocking that i first heard this song with U2 cover but i can definately say i prefer the original hands down. 7/10
transformers - Vampire Weekend, “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa”
I quite like their song 'Giving up the Gun', this one is OK though just wish it had a bit more going on in the song. 4/10
W - Neil Diamond, “Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon”
Another guy that my Dad had playing out of his radio when i was growing up, no doubt his more popular song. 5/10
BarcaRulz - The Offspring, “Self Esteem”
Still a great song by a band that i should of had way more songs on my countdown. 8/10
Ron Burgundy - Radiohead, “Karma Police”
Not a bad Radiohead song, could proobably think of 4 or 5 songs i prefer but still a good pick. 6/10
Chienfantome - DeVotchka, “How It Ends”
I did enjoy the song but it was a song i would have playing in the background as im doing something else. 5/10
Frendo - K’s Choice, “Not An Addict”
Haven't heard this song in ages, nice pick. Completely forgot about this one, glad i got to listen to it again.
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke: If you want to check out more from Porcupine Tree i highly recommend their album "Deadwing".
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #37

Shrykespeare
Dire Straits, “The Bug
” (1992)
WARNING : MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR NUMBERSIX

Take note: this is probably as close to country music as I'm ever likely to get (interestingly enough, this song was remade by Mary Chapin Carpenter as a country song). I just love the unbelievably catchy guitar riff, and the chorus is so clever and easy to sing that I can't help but sing along every time I hear it. (Hopefully Six can stay awake listening to it.)

NSpan
Velvet Underground, “Rock and Roll”
(1970)

One of the first songs that truly turned me on to to this era of music. Appropriately, the lyrics are about someone's life being changed following their discovery of rock and roll.

Numbersix
The Pop Group, “We are all Prostitutes”
(1980)
WARNING: NOT SUITABLE FOR GEEZER

Honestly, if you’re not into the more experimental side of punk’s aggression, then watch out. The Pop Group were a seriously political group, often singing about the oppression of minorities and weaker nations. And they did this to the sound of a mix of punk and funk. This is their most famous song, a vicious attack on all of us because everyone “has their price”, the vocals deliberately distorted to shock us. They’re like Gang of Four’s evil twin brother!

Geezer
Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don't Fear) The Reaper”
(also W's #58)

Its just an absolute classic. Can I get a little more cowbell please? Thank you, Blue Oyster Cult.

becs
Live, “Lakini's Juice”

Easily Live's biggest hit, and I definitely understand why. Immediately from the intro it has such a distinct sound and it gets under your skin, but then it completely changes gears halfway through and ends with suck power it gives me goosebumps it's so good.

undeadmonkey
Ben E. King, “Stand By Me”

Just a pure classic. I get the smirking I got from Dino a few songs ago, it was a throwaway song in a way (even though i enjoy it tremendously, although no one cares). But if anyone disses this song... well, you can go stick your head in a trashcan and bang on it with a spoon, because then that might as well be music to you. ;).

leestu
The Jam, “That’s Entertainment”
(1981)

A band I listened to a lot in my teenage years. This song has a more acoustic sound than a lot of their other material, which is usually more upbeat and rhythmic. They are also great songs but this highly acclaimed description of British working class life is my favourite.

Buscemi
Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, “The Message”
(also leestu's #56 and numbersix's #44)

silversurfer
The Cure, “Boys Don't Cry”

Telling the story of a man who has given up trying to regain the love of a girl that he has lost, The Cure's breakthrough hit has been a song I have been listening to since I must have been 5 years old. Delivering post punk through the stark use of the rhythm guitar and minimalist quirky riffs, this song, for me at least, ranks The Cure high alongside the greatest post punk bands such as Gang Of Four and Joy Division.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQhh4Xs8RcM
(if the above is blocked where you are, as it was for me)

transformers
White Zombie, “Super Charger Heaven”

White Zombie at their finest. Awesome riff, and for obscure movie buffs out there, quite a few samples from obscure 1950's/1960's horror films.

W
Led Zeppelin, “The Ocean”

I got into LZ for the riffs, so I'm neither a hardcore fan or a fan that would rather hear "Stairway" than any other song. This one is my second favorite riff/song of theirs.

englishozzy
Oasis, "Wonderwall”

Originally from the UK it's only obligatory that I have this song on my list. Have always been a fan though of Oasis and it will be interesting to hear their next album without Noel.

BarcaRulz
Wolfsheim, “Blind”

I was only recently introduced to this song, and I instantly liked it. While a lot of people I know thought the vocals were too different, I personally thought they were excellent. The music is peaceful and relaxed, while the lyrics are deep and they emote real feelings I guess. (I know it begins a little too weird for some people here, but give it a chance!).

Ron Burgundy
Dr. Dre, “Still Dre”

Dre showed that he is awesome, no matter the amount of tunes he releases... I cant wait for D-Tox!!

Chienfantome
The Beatles “Hey Jude”
(also becs' #41)

Heck, a Beatles song on my list. And not a single Stones one. (I’m sure they’re jealous). I don’t really know how to explain that other than the fact that I particularly love this particular song (that’s a lot of particularity I know). It starts as a classic 60’s British song. And then after 3 minutes of Paul singing quietly, suddenly the song changes its course. It’s not just McCartney on his piano with the guys singing in the background. It’s like an explosion of music and grandeur. I really discovered it thanks to Wes Anderson’s wonderful The Royal Tenenbaums. Thanks Wes.

Frendo
Cage, “Nothing Left to Say”

Cage was great before, but when he went over to Def Jux, he got even better. This is the first track off his newest album. Known as progressive rap, since the beat doesn't stay quite the same, but changes throughout the song. Supposedly, Eminem stole his flow and lyrical type from Cage (which is not seen here, but can be seen more listening to Cage's old stuff). The lyrics deal with the death of his friend Camu Tao, and the old label they were both on. Shia Lebeouf, love him or hate him, has been trying to get a Cage movie made for years, and even directed one of his videos. It may take a few listens to really 'get' it, but once you do, you don't go back to mainstream rap.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

So Eminem is the Dane Cook of rap?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
Rob Thomas, “Little Wonders”
(2007)
for some reason i dont really like sum 41 but I do like Rob Thomas's solo stuff and this is a pretty good song. My favorite of his would be Lonely No More and Ever the Same, but this song is high up there as well. good choice! and the movie was ok too.

NSpan
Cream, “Tales of Brave Ulysses”
(1967)
hmmm, i really wanted to like it, I loved the title when i read it and I thought 'how unique, let's hope the song is as well'. but then i was just bored with the song, i didnt find much uniqueness about it. the lyrics were pretty fun though.

Numbersix
Marvin Gaye, “I Heard it Through the Grapevine”
(1968)
this was good, but i don't think marvin gaye is the best that the motown era has to offer, there other acts that i enjoy much more.

Geezer
Disturbed, “The Game”

not suitable for monkey either. ;)

becs

well from all the Everclear songs that we've heard on the countdown so far, this was the best, not really my music but i can appreciate it for what it is.

leestu
Sonic Youth, “Dirty Boots”
(1991)
for some reason i found this catchy. i usually am bored by songs like this but i found myself tapping along, good pick.

Buscemi
Talking Heads, “And She Was”

good choice, i had never heard of the Talking heads before this countdown, and now i have quite a few songs that i like by them. good choice.

silversurfer
The Animals, “House Of The Rising Sun”

never heard this before, awesome song! will definitely go download this.

transformers
Vampire Weekend, “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa”

interesting pick, not really my kind of music but it was interesting to listen to it.

W
Neil Diamond, “Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon”

interesting song as well, i enjoyed it, i think. i'll listen to it again at a later date to see if it holds up

englishozzy
My Chemical Romance, "I'm Not OK”

I think i've realized why i dont like MCR, I hate the lead singers voice. as this song was pretty catchy musically and i liked it until he started singing. and i was thinkging 'what! i actually like a MCR song', but then his voice ruined it again. it was still kind of catchy at parts but yea, i just dont like MCR.

BarcaRulz
The Offspring, “Self Esteem”
(also Geezer's #95)
THey are also hit and miss for me, and this one is a.... miss.

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, “Karma Police”

Not bad, I really need to check out more of Radiohead, I knew i said i was going to before, but i still havent gotten around to it. Should do that soon.

Chienfantome
DeVotchka, “How It Ends”

I remember this song from the movie, I, unfortunately, don't remember the film very well. Which is a shame as I remember liking the film, but obviously i didnt think it was all that memorable. but I think this is a lovely choice of song though.

Frendo
K’s Choice, “Not An Addict”

This wasn't bad, It was catchy enough to keep me entertained for 4 minutes. Still not something i would have but not bad.

Shryke had the best song this round.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

...continued from before.

Buscemi
Talking Heads, “And She Was”
Funnily enough, being a fan of the original CBGB's scene, I'm not all that familiar with the Talking Heads, minus "Psycho Killer" and a few other tracks. This song was great, and made me think that I might want to check them out a bit more.

silversurfer
The Animals, “House Of The Rising Sun”
Great song, and already on my ipod. I personally like "Don't Let Me Misunderstood" better, as far as Animals recordings go, but this is still a classic. I recently found a bootleg copy of Hole covering this in concert, which was great as well (granted, you probably need to already be a Courtney Love/Hole fan to really appreciate it).

transformers
Vampire Weekend, “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa”
Never heard this band before, though I have seen their stuff around quite a bit. Different than I expected. I liked it quite a bit. Another band I might check out more in the future.

W
Neil Diamond, “Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon”
My mom was a huge Neil Diamond fan, so I'm familiar with a good amount of his stuff. This is a great song. Personally, I kind of prefer the Urge Overkill version used in Pulp Fiction, but great nonetheless. Haven't heard this version in quite a while. Fun to listen to again.

englishozzy
My Chemical Romance, "I'm Not OK”
I got this album when it first came out, on my sister's recommendation, and wasn't too big a fan of it. I did like this song though, probably because it was just a really fun song to listen to. The video is cool too. First time I've seen it.

BarcaRulz
The Offspring, “Self Esteem”
Funny, I was thinking of this song (which I was into long ago) somewhat recently, and just heard it on the radio night before last. Good song, though I don't like it as much now as I did when I was younger. Still fun though.

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, “Karma Police”
I love everything Radiohead did from the Bends to Kid A. I liked a few songs off their debut, and some off of Amnesiac, but never got into their stuff much after that. This is the first Radiohead song I really loved, and still do. One of the best, if not the best, off of OK Computer. As far as their videos go, I still like the video for "Just" best. Here's a link, if anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIFLtNYI3Ls

Chienfantome
DeVotchka, “How It Ends”
This was a pretty good song. Nothing I would listen to alot, but something I wouldn't mind hearing at times.