Top 30 songs of 2022 - The #1's

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Top 30 songs of 2022 - The #1's

Post by transformers2 »

John:
Don't really agree with the Arcade Fire comparison, but it was a fine listen, nonetheless. It really hits its stride in the final 2 minutes when both the emotions and instrumentation explode.

On the whole, your collection of country, folk and blues tunes delivered the expected smattering of different reactions from me. Some of them bored, some of them were finely crafted tunes that I appreciate for their dedication for keeping traditional genre roots alive and on occasion, there's a home run. And of course, your quips were a delightful highlight per usual. My favorites were Pawnshop Dollar Bills, All the Good Times and unsurprisingly since it was from one of my favorite records of the year, You Will Never Work in Televison Again.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 6:08 pm
Would you say that Anywhere is the heaviest song on the record? I figured Why grimace_smoking_weed are heavier, but you definitely know more than me on this!
You could definitely make a strong argument for that one too, but I think Anywhere has a bit more sludge oomph behind it.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

SIX

Hearing the context of I love You explains a lot. I did not know any of that background but I do think I picked up on the authentic passion and depth of feeling that they bring and now I know why that is there.

As always your list was fascinating. A lot of crossover in genres and styles so probably due to your local knowledge and finger on the pulse I usually find something new and interesting, this year I have added Catcher and Chat Pile to look into more.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John,

Well, your #1 broadly fit into how I feel about your list in general: pleasant but too unassuming to get excited about. That said, the Cloud Cult song was certainly one of my favourite tracks from your list. Unlike Tranny, who must be deaf from the shouty demons, I did indeed hear the Arcade Fire comparison, and the latter half of the song, when the violin (I think) kicks in I was instantly reminded of some of the quieter moments in Funeral. So good stuff.

As I said, there was very little I actively disliked, and the ones I enjoyed best were those that deviated from the standard blues and country tropes, like Sarah Shook and Margo Price. And it was great to see some crossovers, like Yard Act's excellent Tall Poppies, The Smile whose crossover appeal is fascinating, and the Perfume Genius song that I had kinda forgotton about, so thanks for the reminder!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

John,

I've been pleasantly surprised by some of your choices, and while none of them are by bands I'd actively seek out it's been an interesting ride.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

RON B’s TOP 10:

10. Big Stingray, Lupa
9. Doja Cat, Vegas
8. Calvin Harris feat. 21 Savage, New Money
7. Meg Mac, Is It Worth Being Sad
6. Noah Dillon, I C.A.N.T
5. Genesis Owusu, Get Inspired
4. Tame Impala, No Choice
3. Gorillaz feat. Tame Impala & Bootie Brown, New Gold
2. alt-j, The Actor

RON B’s #1 SONG OF 2022:

Teenage Dads, Teddy

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron,

I was going to have a crossover with anyone, I figured it would be you. Glad our mutual love of Gorillaz (and Tame Impala) made that possible. I liked most of your stuff, and while I'm not really into Doja Cat, it was ok. Your #1 was cool in a 90s punkish kind of way. Animation was interesting. Thanks for taking part!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Ron,

Your #1 was a lot of fun. Hard to say if it'll stick with me or fade away fast like a lot of instantly catchy tunes, but I enjoyed hearing it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Mr Burgundy,

Let me echo the other thoughts on your #1. While not normally my thing, it was a very effective attempt at poppy punk, and I enjoyed it more than I thought. In fact, I could say that about you Top 10. In theory I'm not crazy about the acts but it was nice to listen to them nevertheless!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My Top 30:

30. lozeak, No Saving You
29. Tears For Fears, Rivers of Mercy
28. The Faim, Flowers
27. Clan of Xymox, Limbo
26. Disturbed, Take Back Your Life
25. Scorpions, Rock Believer
24. Nation of Language, From the Hill
23. Joywave, Cyn City 3000
22. Cannons, Hurricane
21. Lucius feat. Brandi Carlile & Sheryl Crow, Dance Around It
20. beabadoobee, Talk
19. Soft Cell & Pet Shop Boys, Purple Zone
18. Night Traveler, Late Night Radio
17. The Birthday Massacre, Stars and Satellites
16. Dayglow, Stops Making Sense
15. Asgeir, Snowblind
14. Joywave, We Are All We Need
13. Bastille, Shut Off the Lights
12. Gorillaz feat. Tame Impala & Bootie Brown, New Gold
11. The 1975, Oh Caroline
10. Electric Callboy feat. Finch, Spaceman
9. Cannons, Come Alive
8. Joywave, Pray For the Reboot
7. The Birthday Massacre, Precious Hearts
6. The Birthday Massacre, One More Time
5. Dayglow, Like She Does
4. ODESZA feat. Maro, Better Now
3. Foxes, Sister Ray
2. Muse, Verona

Shrykespeare's #1 song of 2022

Khruangbin feat. Leon Bridges, B-Side

When I fly above
Weeks roll into days
Though I'm far away, your fantasy, I love
Just can't get enough
You may not be everywhere I go
Jump back
But you stay on my mind wherever I go
Like that

When we did last year's countdown, I posted this song as my possible #1 for 2022, and wouldn't ya know it, it ended up being just that. Khruangbin (which, FYI, is the Thai word for "aeroplane") is a funk-rock trio from Houston. The were the opening act for Texas-born Leon Bridges on his 2018 tour...it really must have gone well, because they cut an EP together which was released in 2022. I've played this song dozens of times over the past 12 months, and it might just be the funkiest song I've heard this millennium. I love the video as well, with its Old West feel and camera work that would make QT proud.

I would also like to announce (for anyone who might care) that as it has now been 15 years since we did our Top 100 of all time countdown, and given all the new music I've listened to since then, I am going to be revising my list, and will post a Top 200 of all time on my Facebook Wall starting in May. I have my work cut out for me. I don't know where "B-Side" is going to fall on that list, but it will be HIGH.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke,

You're right, our tastes are pretty different. I know you love your glossy, heavily-produced rock that stems from 80s guitar bands, but growing up during grunge and discovering the grimy lo-fi sounds of punk and post-punk, that's just not what I ever listen to. That said, whenever your taste moves more to the synth-oriented sound also from the 80s, I'm much more open

But brace yourself, as this might give you a heart attack.

I have to say I am shocked, utterly shocked at your #1. I loved it. I don't remember you posting it last year, maybe I was overloaded with music to even listen to this, but it's not only the best song of your list, but one of the best any of you posted. Sure, it's not exactly original, taking a cue from the more modest funky from the 70s, but I love the sound and would gladly listen to that all day. Great choice, and what a way to finish!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Ron:
Teddy has a lot on going for such a short song. Not sure if that hyperactivity worked, but the main synthline was endearingly wacky.

Save for alt-J-who I've been vocally critical of on here numerous times-the other 9 songs were all at least functional. Upbeat tempos and generally positive vibes were definitely a common theme among these songs, which made your picks standout in this largely melancholic group. My favorites were No Choice, Get Inspired and Vegas.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke:
I enjoyed B-Side when you recommended it to me early last year and it's held up well on subsequent listens. It's both funky and psychedelic and that's a combination that's almost always going to appeal to me.

As for the other positives, the Cannons tunes were all pretty solid, Oh Caroline was a pleasant surprise from a band that I don't typically like, Spaceman and New Gold are both hooky fun and Sister Ray is an excellent 80's synthpop throwback that was easily my favorite from your list.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Shryke,

I've heard your #1 a few times this year, and while I don't love it I definitely like it significantly more than a lot of your picks. I think maybe it's just a tad too long and repetitive, or maybe it's because that groove is so instantly familiar I could swear it's a Marvin Gaye sample, even though it apparently isn't.

Thanks for organizing the whole show, and crikey a top 200 sounds like a lot of work to me. I think I may be done with making lists like this for a while. Instead, I think I should be focused on creating things that someone else might put on a list some day.