Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I spose most of these songs rate as a 9 or 10 for you guys so ill try not to be so harsh

Shrykespeare - Foo Fighters, “Monkey Wrench” (1997)
After playing it in Guitar Hero, i think i like it even more - 7/10

NSpan - Black Sabbath, “Into The Void” (1971)
Haven't heard this til tonight, not their best but not bad - 5/10

Numbersix - The White Stripes, “Fell in Love with a Girl”
Very good song, and videoclip - 7.5/10

Geezer - The Goo Goo Dolls, "Iris"
A Housemate of mine (who im trying to get to join up in moguls) loves this song to bits, but i dont, sorry geez - 3.5/10

becs - Tool, “Schism”
Awesomeness, nice pick becs, it did well in the hottest 100 of all time (for triple j) - 8/10

undeadmonkey - Gwen Stefani, “What You Waiting For”
Not sure if i like it much, but it IS catchy - 4/10

leestu - The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For The Devil” (1968)
I like the Stones, but not as much as i should, this song though is probably in their top 3 for me - 7.5/10

Buscemi - Herbie Hancock, “Rockit”
Ultra slick pick, very random filmclip though - 7/10

silversurfer - Slint, “Washer”
I Haven't heard it til now, a bit on the slow side 3/10

transformers - The Clash, “London Calling”
The best clash song, right? - 8/10

W - Aerosmith, “Dream On”
This one was interesting because the Eminem uses the same background tunes for 1 of his songs, but Steven Tyler did well here 7.5/10

Banks - G-Dep feat Diddy, Black Rob, “Let’s Get It”
Again a newie, i dont mind rap but this is not my type - 4.5/10

englishozzy - Biffy Clyro, “Mountains”
Another New 1, not bad - 3.5/10

BarcaRulz - Jamin Winans, "John’s Walk
Ok, new again - 4/10

My pick would be:

Radiohead - No Surprises
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

*Shrykespeare
Foo Fighters, “Monkey Wrench”
(1997)
I absolutely agree with everything you said about Dave Grohl, he's totally that guys to me too, he has been involved in writing and performing some of the best music of the 90s & 2000s with Nirvana, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Probot, Them Crooked Vultures and any number of other special projects he's had his hands in.
This is another one you guys will be seeing again in a few weeks ;-)

NSpan
Black Sabbath, “Into The Void”
(1971)
Really liked it actually, not my favorite type of metal, but good. I am definitely going to have to check out the Soundgarden cover, the sound seems like it would translate really well into their style for sure.

Numbersix
The White Stripes, “Fell in Love with a Girl”

eh, its okay but I've never really liked anything but about the first 10 seconds of this song.

Geezer
The Goo Goo Dolls, "Iris"

Eh, you won't get a hard time from me, I used to love this song when it first came out, it's got great passion to it, its just been so overplayed I can't really appreciate it like I should anymore. The song is also minutes too long considering how repetitive it is, but I do really love the instrumental section.

undeadmonkey
Gwen Stefani, “What You Waiting For”

Like it, as I said though, I really am not into the direction she went in on her solo career, but either way she is way better than most pop acts out there.

leestu
The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy For The Devil”
(1968)
An excellent song.

Buscemi
Herbie Hancock, “Rockit”

I gotta say no to this one. That was supposed to be a great video?

silversurfer
Slint, “Washer”

I think if I were in the right mood I might like this one, but I just wasn't so it was a bit of a miss.

transformers
The Clash, “London Calling”

Pretty good song, definitely liked this one better than the last one posted from The Clash.

*W
Aerosmith, “Dream On”

I really dislike Aerosmith's newer stuff, but some of their old stuff is amazing, like this song.

Banks
G-Dep feat Diddy, Black Rob, “Let’s Get It”

*Cringe*

*englishozzy
Biffy Clyro, “Mountains”

Really really good! Between this and Surfer's earlier pick from them, I definitely need to get my act together and check out some more of their stuff.

BarcaRulz
Jamin Winans, "John’s Walk"
I dunno if I would put this on a playlist, but I will totally agree it is exceptionally good. Having seen the film I can certainly say the soundtrack is quite effective, and I would absolutely recommend the film to anyone willing to watch, though it is recognizably low budget, it really is a treat.
Last edited by becs on April 29th, 2010, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It was innovative for its time, Becs. But then again, music videos in 1984 were either Michael Jackson's elaborate and expensive style or three-minute promo pieces made by the record company.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

It was effing bizarre regardless of its "innovation"

Also, welcome to the fun Ron! You going to fully join in tomorrow? Our little game seems to be growing in leaps and bounds the past week
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare - Foo Fighters, “Monkey Wrench”
I mentioned yesterday that this song came very close to being in my top 100, probably not as good as Everlong, but still always an enjoyable listen.

NSpan - Black Sabbath, “Into The Void”
Hadn't heard this one before, as I only own Paranoid, but I did like it.

Absolutely brilliant song, its like the perfect pop song, so simple but effective. Such a shame Joss Stone felt she had to ruin it with her version.

Now I'll admit, I should hate this. It sounds like everything I despise in music, but for some maybe nostalgic reason I don't.

becs - Tool, “Schism”
This thread is like a Tool introduction for me, I'm hearing songs off a number of different albums, all giving me a sample of what I like best. I think, going by the choices so far, I will probably pick up Undertow first, followed by the album this is from. Really good song. And to think, I'd only really ever been interested in this band due to their connections with A Perfect Circle.

No matter how good or not I think the song is, it is very catchy.

Very good pick, and would be surprised if at least two others on here didn't have it on their lists too.

Yeah, didn't like that or the video. How many scratches can you put in one song!

I had a feeling not too many would be fans of this. It's such a brooding song, which I suppose when you've just listened to Boussh's pick isn't the first thing you want to listen to! Spiderland is probably one of my favourite albums, every song is brilliant and works together as a cohesive masterpiece, and this is just happens to be my favourite. Totally hear you on Good Morning, Captain though, six, I did consider that song for my list too. I also saw them perform Spiderland about three years ago too, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stunningly good song with a classic hook. Cannot go wrong with this song.

Am I bad for always thinking this was a Led Zep song.... For once Aerosmith are bareable!

Yeah, that was not bearable. Concur with six's comments.

I haven't enjoyed Biffy's newer stuff in comparison to their first three albums, but this is still a solid song.

BarcaRulz - Jamin Winans, "John’s Walk"
Very interesting song. I hadn't heard it before, but like six mentioned, I do hear a lot of Mogwai in there.

Favourite of the round was transformers, followed by six and a whole host of others. Very good round this time. I've got a feeling we will be seeing a lot of these songs in future rounds.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Yea, it really is amazing how many differences we have in our lists and yet there is so much the same! I have been curious from the beginning if at any point during this thing somehow two people end up with the same song in a position, how insane would that be out of all the millions of songs out there and all the possible orderings.
- Donte

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Hell yeah! A great,catchy and just plain awesome track. One Of The Foo Fighters finest.
NSpan - Black Sabbath, “Into The Void” (1971)
You can never go with Sabbath. Great pick
Nice choice. One of The White Stripes's catchier song. Really good track.
I'm sorry man I can't take this song seriously. Really corny.
becs - Tool, “Schism”
Such an awesome song. Tool is pretty much blows my mind every time I listen to them.
I respect Gwen Stefani immensly for her creativity but her solo is kind of obnoxious. This song fits under the obnoxious catergory for me.
Quite good and The Stones best song imo.
?
Really couldn't get into it.
An undisputed classic. Great track and proably the best vocals Stephen Tyler has ever delievered
I couldn't stand it sorry man.
Biffy Clyro is such a cool band. Another really great track from them.
Wasn't my thing.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I still prefer the debut material, but this is early enough for me to dig on big time. Good pick, buddy.

As I've mentioned, this album is the one that made me take the 'Stripes seriously. And this was the track that got most of the world to turn their head and take notice. Amazing how the ripples of such a short song (1:55) could create so many waves throughout the music industry.

Hate these guys. Bought A Boy Named Goo when it came out, liked it for a while, then grew very sick of it, gave it away, and never wished to hear it again. And that was some of their better stuff.

becs - Tool, “Schism”
Amazing song. Not much else to say about that hasn't already been said. Not my favorite album (but is it anyone's?)--standout track nonetheless.
silversurfer19 wrote:becs - Tool, “Schism”
This thread is like a Tool introduction for me, I'm hearing songs off a number of different albums, all giving me a sample of what I like best. I think, going by the choices so far, I will probably pick up Undertow first, followed by the album this is from. Really good song. And to think, I'd only really ever been interested in this band due to their connections with A Perfect Circle.
I'd just get 'em all, in order of release. A Perfect Circle is Tool-lite.

"Hash Pipe"?

Every single track on this album was a serious contender for my Top 100 (with the sole exception of "Salt of the Earth.") Two songs did ultimately make it--though neither happens to be the same as your pick. Great song, nonetheless.

Good pick.
numbersix wrote:Buscemi Herbie Hancock, “Rockit” - I don't think there will ever be a time where I'll think to myself: "man, I really need to listen to Herbie Hancock".
Herbie is a fucking genius. "Rockit" is fun and cool--but it's novelty compared to his serious stuff. Check out Head Hunters, Thrust, or Fat Albert Rotunda to get an idea of what he really sounds like.

Loved it. Put these guys in my "to listen more of" pile.

In terms of The Clash, we're definitely moving in the right direction. Classic song. I wonder if we'll see "Train in Vain," "Straight to Hell," or "Lost in the Supermarket" on anyone's list? PS. I always seem to find myself listening to The Specials after listening to the Clash (or vice-versa). Anyone see where I'm comin' from with that?

One of my top three favorite Aerosmith songs (along with "Sweet Emotion" and their cover of "Train Kept A Rollin'").

Didn't really do anything for me.

Had it's moments, but--overall--not my style.

BarcaRulz - Jamin Winans, "John’s Walk"[/quote]
Beautiful, but it clearly sounds like an accompaniment to something visual. Sounds a little bit like the music from Sunshine (also used in Kick-Ass). I just put Ink on my Netflix queue.
Shrykey wrote:
NSpan wrote:i had some guests stay a bit longer than I expected... in fact, they're still here :roll:
I bet I know a few of those people... :lol:
As a matter of fact, it was pretty much your whole gang. Minus one or two of the screaming girls--thankfully. We actually managed to watch PTA's Hard Eight toward the beginning of the night. GREAT movie. Highly recommended.
numbersix wrote:I always suspected you lived in a commune
It's funny. On the lease, there's just the two of us (okay, three, but that's another story). But, in reality, people just seem to come and go as they please. It's kind of "base camp" for South Austin partyin'. Don't usually mind it, but (with our countdown) I now have an addiction to feed at midnight--every night.
numbersix wrote:NSpan Black Sabbath, “Into The Void” (1971) - I only have Paranoid, but I really enjoyed this. I take it Master of Reality is worth checking out?
Their first three (Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality) are absolute gold. The next two (Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) are truly great but not for neophytes. Sabotage is a mixed bag, but it has some major highlights that are worth digging for. After that, it's just a matter of preference. Some people like the remaining Ozzy years; I think things only got interesting again when Dio joined.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Beautiful, but it clearly sounds like an accompaniment to something visual. Sounds a little bit like the music from Sunshine (also used in Kick-Ass). I just put Ink on my Netflix queue.
Seriously, that's scary. I'm actually debating whether or not to have two John Murphy pieces in my top list. One of them is Surface of the Sun (which was in Sunshine and then in Kick-Ass), and the other is In the House, In a Heartbeat (which was in 28 days later and then in Kick-Ass).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

becs wrote:Yea, it really is amazing how many differences we have in our lists and yet there is so much the same! I have been curious from the beginning if at any point during this thing somehow two people end up with the same song in a position, how insane would that be out of all the millions of songs out there and all the possible orderings.
Funny you should say that now, becs... for tonight, at #71, there will be a first since we started. Not the same song, but rather, two different songs by the same artist will be posted tonight.

Ron Burgundy wrote: My pick would be:

Radiohead - No Surprises

Well, that's just ducky, Ron. But that ain't how this works. If you want to listen to our music, fine. But if you want to take part, it's a two-way street. You want to critique us, you are more than welcome, but we have to be able to critique you as well. And to effectively do that, we need more than just a song title. If I may refer you to Page 1 of our first thread:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=427&p=8280#p8280

This entry includes the few rules of participation (pay close attention to #3). So if you want to join us, please follow these instructions (as closely as possible). Clearly you've already made some semblance of a list of your own, and you've already shown your hand at critiquing. The only part that's missing is actually the easy part. Just send me your list (ten songs at a time), and let us tell you why YOU rule. Or suck. You know, depending on what day of the week it is. ;)

NSpan, Geezer, W, Banks, Ozzy - I still have not received your next batch of songs.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

NSpan wrote: BarcaRulz - Jamin Winans, "John’s Walk"
Beautiful, but it clearly sounds like an accompaniment to something visual.
It is, but sadly is not as polished or dramatic as it should be, especially when out of context (plus its at nearly the end of the film) so I wouldn't recommend watching just that scene. The absolute best marriage of soundtrack and scene in the film is THIS scene (from almost the beginning of the movie), if it doesn't make you interested enough to watch the movie I dunno what will.
- Donte

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Song 72:

Shryke- Absolutely awesome song Shryke! Probably my 4th favorite Foo track, which means it didn't quite make the cut but I still love it.

Span- not even close to the best of Sabbath, but some great guitar.

Six- hey whataya know, back when the stripes were still good. Fucking loved this when it came out, still do.

becs- Tool Sucks. However, this is their best song and the one I can tolerate... but not for the whole thing, just a taste.

UDM- my god it was so awful

Leestu- still great

Boush- not surprised at all this came from you.

Surfer- unfortunately, the music was too slow and repetitive for me to give the full lyrics a chance. Needs to be at least some kind of a combination.

Tranny- its really funny how close we were to having this song appear twice in the exact same spot, but I needed to move it up higher. Who knows where it will land...

W- definitely in the top 3 Aerosmith songs, if not tops overall. Excellent selection!

Banks- this is so fucking bad it made the Gwen Stefani song listenable.

Ozzy- alright, I DEFINITELY need more of this band. Still awesome upon second exposure! I am loving them. This was excellent.

Barca- wasn't into it.

Shryke, Six, Ozzy, leestu and W were great, but Tranny wins the round by default. Half good, half bad this time around.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:Span- not even close to the best of Sabbath, but some great guitar.
I actually got 3 more comin' up. But, in the meantime, what IS the "best of Sabbath" if you don't mind enlightening me.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan wrote:
Geezer wrote:Span- not even close to the best of Sabbath, but some great guitar.
I actually got 3 more comin' up. But, in the meantime, what IS the "best of Sabbath" if you don't mind enlightening me.
Well Span, you will have to wait and find out! As their best song, in my opinion, is in fact on my list...

And Lost in the Supermarket came so close to my list but just missed. I love that song. London Calling is the only Clash song that actually did hit the chart, and like I said, it was damn near in this spot.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer wrote:Well Span, you will have to wait and find out!
The anticipation!