What Shows are you Into?

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: What Shows are you Into?

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I've watched every episode of It's Always Sunny and it's great, can't wait until September.

I've also been watching the first season of Sons of Anarchy and I like it, luckily Season 2 is also on Netflix streaming.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Through S3E7 or Sons. The last three eps have been a little down, but still better than most of the stuff out there. It looks like it's about the heat up when they get to Ireland. I can see how the payoff at the end of the season could be big as some have suggested.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

My new obsession this year is Shameless on Showtime. It is massively addicting and gives me something to watch with Dexter off the air currently.

Also, I know there are not a ton of ladies on here, so not sure how many others will like this show but I am loving GCB. I first watched it just because One Million Moms were protesting it - but having lived in the Dallas area for sometime, it hit home and it's pretty funny and outlandish.

Also this month I finally decided to give in and start Breaking Bad and Mad Men - so far, enjoying both.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I had GCB as being very likely not to get a Season Two due to its criticism of religion. A network show with such themes is always a kiss of death due to groups such as the one you mentioned.

Today, I saw a making-of featurette for Don't Trust The B---- in Apt. 23. This looks like a complete ripoff of The Big Bang Theory (or 2 Broke Girls) with a protagonist that comes off as such an unlikeable clone of Penny from The Big Bang Theory that you feel more sympathy and compassion for the antagonist (who could be described as a lustier version of Sheldon). The latter being played by Krysten Ritter helps.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Buscemi wrote:I had GCB as being very likely not to get a Season Two due to its criticism of religion. A network show with such themes is always a kiss of death due to groups such as the one you mentioned.
Can't say I know much about it as I quit watching it after a couple of episodes, but I always felt Big Love would go the same way what with it's themes. Apparently not though...

Walking Dead again tonight, please let Andrea shoot gun her gun toting head off... Seriously, why has everyone all of a sudden become obsessed with guns? From Andrea to the farm people now to Carl now, and why did Rick and Glen do an about turn and go from being against anyone using guns to all of a sudden having to plead with Lori to let them teach a kid how to use one?

If they are going to use them though, use them on zombies, not tin cans. This season, after a bright start is just moving so painfully slow. Not that it needs zombie action every minute, but at least do something! Granted I'm a few weeks behind and it looks like things perk up but still, is it worth the wait?....

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Big Love was on HBO and the first season actually did get some approval from the Mormon church. The later seasons didn't though.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I just started The Big Bang Theory and i'm addicted, Sheldon is hilarious!!

and i feel your pain about Walked Dead, SS. The first half of the season was completely slow and boring.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The Walking Dead: Yes, it is worth it. From the last few episodes of season 2, I have a feeling season 3 is going to be the best yet.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

undeadmonkey wrote:I just started The Big Bang Theory and i'm addicted, Sheldon is hilarious!!
Pretty much what happened to me - I started when it was 2 seasons in and got completely addicted - I love that show

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

[quote="Buscemi"]I had GCB as being very likely not to get a Season Two due to its criticism of religion. A network show with such themes is always a kiss of death due to groups such as the one you mentioned.

For some reason - i think that the criticism of religion might be something that keeps the show going. Because it doesn't so much criticize religion as it does hypocrisy in religion. It is not attacking people who are religious but people who use religion as a way to be "better" than others or as a way to eschew judgement. Which is why it is hilarious that One Million Moms is protesting it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Religious groups are extremely powerful in the US. Many shows have been doomed from protests by such groups and boycotts have been threatened. ABC (which is owned by Disney) will become afraid of losing money and end up buying into the protests. Which makes any chance of renewal unlikely.

Another thing I've noticed: with projects like GCB and Don't Trust The Bitch in Apt. 23, ABC seems to be interested in becoming edgier and raunchier with their shows (the latter has a nude scene with Krysten Ritter, though it is pixelated) with no worries about what the FCC might say. I'm surprised that Disney and Starz (Disney's pay-cable partner) have not attempted a deal to produce shows together that would allow them more leeway in showing material that would be normally taboo on network television. A show like GCB could thrive on a network like Starz due to pay cable being more acceptable of material such as criticism of religion.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Buscemi wrote:Religious groups are extremely powerful in the US. Many shows have been doomed from protests by such groups and boycotts have been threatened. ABC (which is owned by Disney) will become afraid of losing money and end up buying into the protests. Which makes any chance of renewal unlikely..

The only group I have been aware of protesting GCB has been One Million Moms - which has become a bit of a joke. I think that at this point, protests by groups such as this have only provided publicity in a good way. Like I said - I started watching it simply because they were protesting it. I am probably being hopelessly optimistic, but I think that extreme religious groups are holding less sway these days regarding programming and advertising. I think this show will make a second season if it continues it's current standard.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Last year, you had The Playboy Club get canceled after three episodes due to NBC's Salt Lake City affiliate (which is owned by BYU, one of the most conservative universities in the US) refusing to air it (sure the reviews and ratings were awful but this refusal was the first sign that it wasn't going to last). An NBC affiliate owned by Notre Dame University has also rejected some network shows for morality reasons.

Though we don't like it, religion still holds a lot of power in the US. And these groups will protest any network show that they feel makes their religion look bad. With ABC, Disney owns the network. Though Disney has evolved in the past 30 years, it is still seen by many as being Mickey Mouse and Disneyland. And Disney is no stranger to controversy with religious groups (example: The Lion King "SEX/SFX" controversy). Most of the time, they've met demands from protestors and I can't seen GCB being any different.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I wouldn't say most of the time. I think the real problem is ratings and reviews. A religious protest is merely the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak. Put it this way, if The Playboy Club got good reviews and great ratings, do you think it would have been axed? No chance. Everyone knew what they were getting themselves into, and the ratings were the real killer.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Look at all you TV lovers.....ugh....it makes me sick.....(wink)

Hey Ali,
Are you still into Dexter? Cause that last season was the worst yet, though at times good with the 2 interesting villians, but real shite compared to say the first season. I really hate Debra, she needs to be killed off

Breaking Bad, so excited for the final season

Tried to get into Homeland but proved difficult, claire danes is doing to same schtick the whole time

Im not a big fan of awkward humor, like The Office. But id like to get into another good comedy.

Which of these do you recommend starting?

Parks and Recreation
Community
The IT crowd
Suburgatory

OR

Something else

previous favs

Monty Python, South Park, The Simpsons and Seinfeld
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale