What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I watched The Outsider. It was good, the acting was sold. But it seems to try way too hard to find that edge, which it does at times.

Also, i agree on Better Call Saul, its great.

I tried watching Mystery Science Theater once...i dont get it, whats the allure?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Binged thru the first 5 eps of Mare of Easttown. Very good acting, solid enough writing, decent all round. But there is something lacking. I cant put my finger on it but its right up there. Highly recommended if you have nothing else to watch

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

So, firstly, must say, im surprised to see no comments on anything TV in the last few months.

Secondly, here's my recent TV escapades

Ted Lasso
I saw S1 just after it appeared, and S2 recently. Lets get this straight, its a heartwarming comedy with a flair for occasionally resonant comedy with a massive heart. Sometimes it doesn't hit home, but otherwise, the compass is always pointing to your smile.
8/10 (S2)

Evil
1.5/2 series in, its a decent stab at the supernatural genre with a fair twist of black comedy, drama and suspense. I could say its a crime series but yes, the genre's mix much here. Acting is solid, writing veers off towards the end but doesn't drive itself off a cliff. I am strictly on the fence for this until i finish S2.
6/10

Rick & Morty
Season S5 delivers on most parts, except you see the showrunner's comment on how they are running out of idea's. They hire new writers to do the heavy lifting and i am afraid this excellent show is about to finish giving us the goods. 3/10 episodes were really good. All i can think of is The Simpsons at season 9. I hope im wrong. PS- this show has high numbers of ratings per episode on imdb- unlike older shows
8.5/10 (S5)

Squid Game
1 episode in, and i want to comment here. What is this? Has anyone seen it? I dont have Netflix. But this is all the rage. So far, seems like a high concept B grade movie from Korea, think Train of Busan minus the Zombie's mashed up with Battle Royale.
?/10

Mythic Quest
Season 2 feel like its trying to emulate Silicon Valley- which was awesome. Creator Rob McElhenney is cashing in on the lack of comparable titles since Silicon Valley departed, but he makes this work- just.
6/10

Have seen more, but not really enough to comment

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh yeah, guess we just plain forgot.

Watched first EP of Squid Game too. Not sure why it's Netflix's all time biggest series, and your B-movie reference is spot on, but I'll give it a go.

Rick and Morty is definitely running out of steam. Some dud episodes. It was good while it lasted

Also don't get the acclaim The White Lotus got. Mostly toothless satire that was watchable but nothing more.

Ron do you know the Australian comedy Aunty Donna's Big Ol House. Madcap surrealism. Some sketches work, others don't.

The Underground Reailroad was intense but excellent.

The Great lives up to its name.

The essay-doc Can't Get You Out of My Head is fascinating, if you can find it.

ZerozeroZero and Master of None: Moments in Love were both flawed but worth a watch.

Making my way through Bob's Burgers as well, which is always funny.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think the reason for Squid Game's success is simple: Korean culture is hot right now. If it has the appeal to reach out to another country, it will.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I'll reply now, while im still alive

Aunt Donna's Big Ol House, in short yes. Very short. Only watched the first 2 episodes, my lil brother and his mates (aged 22) love it. Im on the fence, some funny stuff yes, as u say a bit hit and miss, and also i dont like it how they are wildly successful kinda. Its time i start my own YouTube sketch show. Yes, i may be irrationally jealous.

I forget to mention i saw ZeroZeroZero (9/10), every single episode except the finale was brilliant, well worth a watch. Watched the first ep of The Night Of with Riz Ahmed, it was quite good. But Oh, you were talking about Master of None- ill have to check it out! Speaking of Check it Out! (7.5/10)- i watched the whole show with John C Reilly, i had a blast watching it- some really funny bits in there!

Watched the first couple eps of The Underground railroad, not sure if it was my mood or me not following, but i found it incredibly dull if not well shot. Perhaps i need to see the whole thing.

Not heard of The Great....looking it up...

Bobs burgers, ive kinda putting on stand by mode, i started doing volunteer work for the company that makes the game with BB, Family Guy, AD and King of the Hill, but for one of their foreshadow games, same gameplay but without the cartoons, lets just say ive wasted enough time on that shit- no pay, no more free help.
(but ill catch up with that stuff when i finally decide to start watching King of the Hill, after seeing Silicon Valley, i realize Mike Judge is awesome)

Yep, saw the first 2 parts of Adam Curtus' doc series on YouTube (almost cant believe im typing this out- on YouTubE!!!) Certainly interesting, same parallels as his last docs and also with others, he has a great way of presenting things, i would really like to know what the others here think of his material - boosh, chien, shryke, trandog

Oh and yeah agree on The White Lotus, 1 ep in and it was forgettable, like you no idea on the praise.

In other news, im looking forward to House of Targaryen!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

So you work for the developer of Animation Throwdown? I stopped playing a long time ago (all about Best Fiends these days).

As for the Adam Curtis documentaries, I try to stay out of most things political. Do I really want to depress myself watching an archival presentation of current news events?

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

In short, yes, as i said, its volunteer work, im not that impressed about not getting any pay with a force of dedicated players who love to complain about the meta of game. Good news is, it'll be over soon. Yep, Pay to win model wont last, its all about Crypto-currency pay-to-earn models now, unfortunately there are no fun games out with that model now, IMO, Splinterlands leads that race, but not a massive fan (yet?).

By the way, anyone seen Ready Player One and then Free Guy? This is the not so far away future...possibly...

Im about to watch Part 4 for Adam Curtis. Part 3 was all about Nixon and the new hierarchy of Coal and Oil manpower. I agree it can be depressing, but extremely informative if you never paid attention in school...

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I paid attention in school. But I was in a system that thought it was okay to lie to children and then blame them for not knowing things or acting out when you knew they were wrong.

And about those video game movies, I find it strange that the entertainment industry loves to demonize technology and only focus on the negative aspects but always depict video games in a positive light. I guess we're supposed to ignore how publishers continue to sucker in the less-savvy gamers by repackaging and reskinning the same Madden and Call of Duty games year after year while extremist groups like Gamergate continue to get away with terrorizing people simply for disagreeing with them over one thing on gaming.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Some quick thoughts on everything I've watched from the summer through now.

-Finally got around to watching Watchmen back in June and it was fucking tremendous. Damon Lindelof did an incredible job handling such dense material by letting every plot thread slowly play out over the course of the series without ever becoming overwhelming and the performances from the ensemble headlined by Regina King, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Jean Smart are top-notch

-Loki is the weakest Marvel project since Age of Ultron. 6 hours of relentless and stunningly smug primer exposition about the upcoming Multiverse just doesn't make for compelling TV.

Also agree that The White Lotus was overrated, but it was well-acted, shot and the ending for certain characters (namely Alexandra Daddario and Natasha Rothwell) resonated with me.

-Season 2 of Dave was much more erratic than Season 1, but the final episode was so moving and funny that it made all of the rough patches worth it.

Season 2 of I Think You Should Leave is even more absurd, rewatchable and consistently hilarious than Season 1. Tim Robinson is a sketch comedy virtuoso and I hope Netflix allows him to make 35 more seasons of this show.

Scenes from a Marriage is overly stagey and boring at times, but it's impressively raw and the acting from Oscar Issac and Jessica Chastain is impeccable.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Scenes from a Marriage is a remake of a Bergman film so stagey is probably what to expect. But it seems like a lot of potential viewers didn't expect that as the viewership numbers nearly halved between the first two episodes.

My question is why anyone would think remaking Bergman in English is a good idea. If you want to depict realism, leave Brooklyn or Santa Monica and go somewhere where reality is actually happening.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on October 8th, 2021, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Geezus Krist,

Scathing...

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Kino Lorber just started a free streaming service called Kino Cult (think a classier Tubi or Peacock with it). Unfortunately, you can't make watchlists yet but seeing how long it took for Paramount+ to do so and how you can on Kino Now, I expect they'll fix that.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Nash Bridges is getting revived as a reunion movie on November 27th. I might actually have to watch this.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

So, I got through season 1 of Squid Game, I'll keep it short and spoiler free.

After episode 1, the character arc expanded hard and fast, some were done well, others just a seed for twisting things up, which made things slightly unpredictable and therefore, more exciting. The middle episodes were pretty good, some good suspense and plausible themes, it was also shot well, must have been a good storyboard. Unfortunately the last 3 episodes weren't quite on par with before and some credibility stretched far too thin. However, I give the show a big thumbs up for being bold and for showing a good amount of heart despite the subject matter being like a game of death.

7.5/10