Weekend Tracking 10/30

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Weekend Tracking 10/30

Post by undeadmonkey »

Looks like This Is It wont open that big as people thought. I'm really glad i didnt put it on my slates.

Here is the link to deadline.com,
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/micha ... h-america/

BOM doesnt have updated numbers yet

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Re: Weekend Tracking 10/30

Post by BarcaRulz »

Yeah, the early numbers weren't exactly fantastic. I thought people were overrating it, but I still thought it would be a decent pick, so I picked it.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Why are you glad you didn't take it? It's only $14 in Ultimate and $13 in Box Office...well worth the price in both leagues. It's a concert movie. These are phenominal numbers for a concert movie.

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

$7.4 million opening day.

I propose that we never show RS tracking on this site again considering that they were estimating a $40 million opening day and a $100 million opening 5-days. Anyways this has shown us once again that saying that ticket sales are huge when they clearly are not does not do anything to help. It should rebound well over the weekend, but this is disappointing.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Well for what it is, it's doing great business, and heck it's not even a concert movie, it's a rehearsal of a concert movie, but tracking was suggesting a +$40M weekend, and that's definitely not happening. Now it looks like it wont even make that much in the 5 days.

Who says it'll rebound, i expect it to be very front loaded, you dont think the fans would all rush out too see it?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

box office guru is putting Saw VI at a paltry $4M for the weekend... but i feel like (at least some of) the franchise's core fanbase might've been waiting to see the movie over the Halloween weekend... and, unless Paranormal Activity is warranting repeat viewings, horror fans gotta see something, right?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I didn't even know This Is It came out. I thought it was opening tomorrow. Maybe other didn't realize either?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

undeadmonkey wrote:Well for what it is, it's doing great business, and heck it's not even a concert movie, it's a rehearsal of a concert movie, but tracking was suggesting a +$40M weekend, and that's definitely not happening. Now it looks like it wont even make that much in the 5 days.
I find it funny that over at DHD and other places reports are saying that it disappointed from "estimated $40 million weekend". They were all saying $70+ million. RS was tracking it at $100 million and MTC had it at $70 million, so it was definately not tracking at $40 million.
Who says it'll rebound, i expect it to be very front loaded, you dont think the fans would all rush out too see it?
I did think that, and it should have a big Thursday drop, but obviously most fans (causal and hardcore) didn't see it on Wednesday.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

NSpan wrote:box office guru is putting Saw VI at a paltry $4M for the weekend... but i feel like (at least some of) the franchise's core fanbase might've been waiting to see the movie over the Halloween weekend... and, unless Paranormal Activity is warranting repeat viewings, horror fans gotta see something, right?
The last Saw dropped 68% in its second week and each one has had a bigger second week drop than the last (the first dropped 39%, the second dropped 47%, the third dropped 57% and the fourth dropped 67% in their second weeks).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

Although it would be a really jerk thing to do and would be like spitting on MJ's grave, I think Paramount could have a big last minute expansion of theaters for Paranormal Activity and it could pull out a weekend win.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think 7.4M for a Wednesday is pretty good for This Is It. You gotta remember the demo for this movie aren't the type to rush out and catch a Tuesday midnight show, or miss work during the week for a movie. I think it'll have a very nice weekend.

All the $100+ projections are out of the picture though now, may end up around $60M or so.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:
The last Saw dropped 68% in its second week and each one has had a bigger second week drop than the last (the first dropped 39%, the second dropped 47%, the third dropped 57% and the fourth dropped 67% in their second weeks).
Yes but this time Saw 6 opened up before Halloween weekend, so it may not drop as hard, mostly due to Saturday night viewings.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Saw V opened up before Halloween weekend also.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yep, I think it'll drop less % wise just because it doesn't have as far to fall, though less could be 65%.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

7.4 Mil on a wednesday is disappointing?! Movie always make more on the weekends than a wednesday opening unless it is a fan boy thing like Star Wars or Spiderman. And for a concert movie to break 40 Mil in a weekend... It will win the weekend and gain a huge BO.
Also remember that this movie is opening worldwide and if they barely break 100 mil domestic they are still going to make another 400 worldwide. They paid 50 Mil for the footage and rights so they will make tons of money on this.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me