The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

Was anyone aware that Liam Neeson and Laurence Fishburne teamed up with the director of the 2004 version of The Punisher to make a make a thriller in Canada? I guess that makes two of us that didn't know as Netflix has scheduled The Ice Road for a June 25th premiere.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on May 18th, 2021, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

*raises hand* Me! As a board certified action movie honk, it's my civic duty to be aware of every project that surfaces from the sad bowels of the Bruce Willis VOD assembly line all the way up to the blockbuster excess of the Fast and Furious franchise.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Netflix has scheduled Gunpowder Milkshake (can't believe they didn't change the title) for a July 14th debut. They have also scheduled Good on Paper, which seems to have been a title that Universal originally had, for a June 23rd premiere.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Amazon has acquired the global rights to Everybody's Talking About Jamie from Disney/Fox and will release it via Prime on September 17th.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That was not the Searchlight title that I expected to get sold off, especially considering how it had an ad campaign before it was delayed.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Lionsgate is now going to release Joe Bell on 7/23/2021 as the filmmakers didn't like Solstice's plans for a wide break immediately. Between this and their attempt to steal tax credits on Hypnotic (Solstice wanted to move filming to Canada but not relinquish tax credits from when it was going to film in California), I have to wonder if they are broke and cannot make or release anything else.

Meanwhile, Steven Soderbergh continues his descent into being a streaming-only filmmaker as No Sudden Move hits HBO Max on July 1st. The premise more or less sounds like him trying to do Ocean's Eleven yet again but as an awards bait social drama.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not sure if this was posted but that long-in-the-works Willy Wonka origin story will open on 3/17/2023, with Timothee Chalamet as Wonka. Didn't the Tim Burton version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory already cover that story?
Last edited by Buscemi2 on May 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

In kind of a weird move, Universal has moved The Boss Baby 2 from September 17th to July 2nd and will be releasing it simultaneously in theaters and on Peacock.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It doesn't look good. But somehow, the first one was a hit despite being nothing more than animated Baby Geniuses.

Maybe Universal simply wanted a finished movie released, something that the Minions sequel (which has been delayed two years so far) isn't.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
May 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm
It doesn't look good. But somehow, the first one was a hit despite being nothing more than animated Baby Geniuses.

Maybe Universal simply wanted a finished movie released, something that the Minions sequel (which has been delayed two years so far) isn't.
Universal probably will have a string of underperformers after Candyman (Dear Evan Hansen looks to perform like Rent did adjusted for current prices, Halloween will still be profitable but take a huge dive - same thing with Sing 2) so they probably wanted a sure thing on their service. Focus should have a banner year if things return to normal however.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Dear Evan Hansen will likely be Hell as designed by theatre kids. So of course it will make money (also, Chbosky's previous films overperformed).

As for Focus, I'm not really buying into some of their films. Stillwater sounds like a Taken ripoff that came too late, The Card Counter has Schrader but Sheridan and Haddish badly need a hit and this doesn't sound like it, Blue Bayou doesn't sell me on its premise (also, it sounds like nothing more than an ego trip for its director, who just had to pair himself with Alicia Vikander to truly rub it in), Last Night in Soho feels like another overhyped Edgar Wright film but with none of the bankability of his other films, and Belfast seems more All is True than Thor.

Downton Abbey 2 looks to be the only surefire hit but who asked for this, especially since the first film was supposed to be the end of the story?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Amazon is set to buy MGM for over $8 billion. I guess No Time to Die will be released in some way.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on May 26th, 2021, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi2 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 11:48 am
I guess No Time to Die will be released in some way.
Delivered by drone to your house, but only with Prime subscription.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But the Prime Video library for MGM titles should be plentiful now, adding titles previously licensed to other services. Meanwhile, I wonder what happens to Epix. Does ViacomCBS make an offer (they previously sold their interest and then tried tried to buy Starz from Lionsgate, who ironically had to sell their interest in Epix after buying Starz to avoid a conflict of interest) and merge it with Showtime and Paramount+? Does it quietly fold and satellite networks give the space to something else? Or does Amazon somehow keep it going and use it as a feeder network for their product?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The entirety of MGM 2021's slate (No Time to Die, Respect, Addams Family 2, House of Gucci, Cyrano, presumably Samaritan, Dog and On the Count of Three) and all future Bond films have already been confirmed to remain theatrical. Everything besides that, however, is a complete mystery at the moment.