The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Asset is now titled The Protege and will open on 8/20/2021.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

New dates:
The Black Phone 1/28/22
Shotgun Wedding 6/29/22
White Bird: A Wonder Story 9/16/22

In other news, STX has sold the US rights to Gunpowder Milkshake to Netflix. STX and Studiocanal are keeping the rights for all other territories.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Gunpowder Milkshake is such a bad title for a movie. I have to think Netflix changes the title to make it sound like The 355 (which sounds awfully similar and will likely be out at the same time).

Shotgun Wedding probably sounded more appealing before Armie Hammer committed career suicide (which more than likely also killed the Call Me by Your Name sequel along with any other project he was connected to, though somehow he's still in Death on the Nile). Now with Josh Duhamel replacing him, it feels like a straight-to-VOD title.

And outside of the author, how does White Bird connect to Wonder? The plot pretty much sounds like The Book Thief or Jojo Rabbit.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

BIOS is now titled Finch. Meanwhile, Reminiscence has moved up one week to start a sci-fi battle not many were asking for.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Finch got sold off to Apple TV+, so that much-anticipated battle won't be happening :lol:

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

August is crowded, and Finch sounded too depressing (without a horror/thriller element) to be really big right now. Reminiscence could be a modest sleeper hit (epic romances are very rare in today's market), but the market is so competitive and Warner Brothers might not market it.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Once again, Box Office Mojo is late to the punch.

And funny that Universal sold it, considering how Tom Hanks hated that Greyhound was sold off to Apple.

Also, no one is going to care about Reminiscence. Audiences only go to see Jackman as Wolverine or in a musical and it feels too much like Transcendence, that Johnny Depp mega-flop from seven years ago. If this has an audience, it will be on HBO Max.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Night House will now open on 8/20/2021. This looks like the kind of thing you'd dump onto Netflix and viewers would forget it two hours after watching it.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 9:05 pm
The Night House will now open on 8/20/2021. This looks like the kind of thing you'd dump onto Netflix and viewers would forget it two hours after watching it.
The Night House could have challenged 100m in normal times, maybe even if it was released earlier this summer. Putting it a week before the likely highest grosser of August (which is also horror) and two weeks before a Marvel film is the biggest waste of potential in years.

Image courtesy of -

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

That's a mighty strong take :lol: While I certainly don't share your bullishness about its BO prospects in either the current or a more normal climate, I do agree that the new date is a puzzling choice since there's even more horror films currently scheduled for mid-to-late-August than there was on its original July date.

Boosh will also be delighted to know that his most anticipated movie of 2022-The 355-has been moved up to January 7th.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Night House is probably going to be a non-factor at the box office. Even with Hall's recent hit, its long period between the Sundance hype and release, combined with tiredness in the haunted house genre and its mixed early word, make it unlikely to break out. Late August/early September will probably be dominated by later weeks of The Suicide Squad and Shang-Chi (though that Labor Day slot makes me worry about the latter).

I can't see more than a $15 million gross. Any audience, horror or not, will be in post-theatrical markets.

As for my most anticipated 2022 film, if that's when Paul Verhoeven's new film (which began filming three years ago but has been held up by a few things) comes out, that would be it.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

You're probably right that my prediction is way high, but it seems like the kind of movie that could surprise on opening weekend followed by phenomenal legs. I think the reception to it will be a lot better by the mainstream than most acclaimed horror. It also probably would have appealed to an audience who are sick of all the franchise horror output this summer (I see Forever Purge, in particular, bombing - it will definitely be the Paranormal Activity 4 of the franchise).

A major issue this year is there is an overload of horror/thriller films this summer, and people will be burnt out by August (though Candyman will be massive - assuming business is somewhat normal by then). The weekend it is opening on is very crowded as well.

Image courtesy of -

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Paramount has confirmed that Antoine Fuqua's Infinite will now bypass theaters (it was previously scheduled to release on September 24th-which remains a comically crowded date that has about a 0% chance of proceeding as currently constructed) and hit Paramount+ sometime next month.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Speaking of Paramount, did they sell The Tomorrow War to Amazon as planned? Last I checked, that was still in the works.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Yes. It's coming out on Prime July 2nd.