The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by transformers2 »

Don't believe Man from Toronto is being sold off at this point. Deadline emphasized that it was only going to be temporarily undated in their Venom delay announcement, which makes sense since it finished shooting right around Christmas and the schedule is obviously still very fluid.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Peter Rabbit 2 has been pushed yet again to 7/2/2021. Sell this thing to Netflix, please.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Some major release nuggets dropped in the last few hours:
-Along with the announcement that they'll be re-opening their US locations in April, Regal/Cineworld confirmed that Warner Brothers has agreed to play all of their titles for 45 days in theaters exclusively in the US/UK before heading to HBO Max (presumably for the same 31-day run they they're receiving right now) starting next year.

-Cruella and Black Widow will now be receiving theatrical/Disney+ Premiere Access hybrid releases. Cruella is staying on May 28th while Black Widow is moving to July 9th.

-Luca is now headed straight to Disney+ on June 18th-its original intended theatrical date.

Other new dates:
The Sparks Brothers 6/18/21
Cry Macho 10/22/21
In the Heights 6/18/21 (from 6/25/21)
Free Guy 8/13/21 (from 5/21/21)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 9/3/21 (from 7/9/21)
The King's Man 12/22/21 (from 8/20/21)
Deep Water 1/14/22 (from 8/13/21)
Death on the Nile 2/11/22 (from 9/17/21)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Luca looks like a misfire (They're mermen? Really?) for Pixar so I'm not surprised that the theatrical run was canceled.

And Disney should just send Free Guy to Hulu. Who is actually going to see this now that it's completely dated.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 4:03 pm
Luca looks like a misfire (They're mermen? Really?) for Pixar so I'm not surprised that the theatrical run was canceled.

And Disney should just send Free Guy to Hulu. Who is actually going to see this now that it's completely dated.
Free Guy should do okay , though I'm not sure what audience it's going for - even though you would think a Ryan Reynolds movie about a violent video game would be R, it's from the director of several family films and the trailer is pretty tame - (and it is opening during the most crowded weekend of summer, but not the most successful- Respect should be huge - definitely 100 million +, but Don't Breathe 2 has the worst premise I've heard in a while - and the first isn't particularly well remembered - and BIOS sounds like a bomb, if not the bomb of the summer, not to mention Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard opening a week after - although that will definitely move. Resident Evil could also move to the 13th, though I doubt it will do much.).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Genius: Aretha is currently on National Geographic, rendering a rival Aretha Franklin biopic pointless. Also, it's going to be heavily sanitized (Franklin's life is not a PG movie) and Jennifer Hudson is no Cynthia Erivo.

BIOS should play better than Reminiscence, the other original sci-fi film of the late summer. Tom Hanks has more of an appeal than Hugh Jackman does.

As for Don't Breathe 2, what you fail to point out is that the horror community will support anything that meets a criteria. This is why we got sequels to The Strangers, The Collector, The Boy, and nearly every forgettable semi-popular horror film of the past two decades.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 8:04 pm
Genius: Aretha is currently on National Geographic, rendering a rival Aretha Franklin biopic pointless. Also, it's going to be heavily sanitized (Franklin's life is not a PG movie) and Jennifer Hudson is no Cynthia Erivo.

BIOS should play better than Reminiscence, the other original sci-fi film of the late summer. Tom Hanks has more of an appeal than Hugh Jackman does.

As for Don't Breathe 2, what you fail to point out is that the horror community will support anything that meets a criteria. This is why we got sequels to The Strangers, The Collector, The Boy, and nearly every forgettable semi-popular horror film of the past two decades.
I doubt that general audiences will care about Respect's accuracy. Bohemian Rhapsody was very controversial in that regard, and it made nearly a billion.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But that movie was hyped years in advance (and Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't PG like Respect is). Audiences really don't care that another Aretha biopic is coming out. Was anyone talking about the Billie Holliday movie (which is basically a more accurate version of Lady Sings the Blues) before it got a Best Actress nomination?

Edit: Respect is actually PG-13. But my point still stands. There's little reason for this movie to exist when you have a TV miniseries with better production values and a bigger ad campaign doing the exact same thing. I'll be surprised if it makes more than $20 million.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Depends on how big the NatGeo show is. I imagine on the network it's not going to be a massive breakout.

We can also assume Aretha is more of a household name than Billie Holiday. As long as the film gets good reviews it should be a hit. The Billie film didn't work because of Lee Daniels

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Saw (I don't even know which part this is) moved up a week, probably to avoid A Quiet Place Part II. I still don't think it will do any more than average (despite curiosity over Chris Rock's involvement, I'm not sure many will go to theaters to see it).

Image courtesy of -

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

New dates:
Wrath of Man 5/7/21 (from 4/23/21)
BIos 8/20/21 (from 8/13/21)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Open Road will open Separation, a horror film shot nearly three years ago, on 4/30/2021. Looks like we're scraping the bottom of the bottom of the barrel. Related to long on the shelf, Focus will open Profile, which premiered at Berlin three years ago, wide on 5/14/2021.

And speaking of horror, Spiral has moved up a week to 5/14/2021 to take any possible audience from Profile.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
March 25th, 2021, 3:43 pm
Open Road will open Separation, a horror film shot nearly three years ago, on 4/30/2021. Looks like we're scraping the bottom of the bottom of the barrel. Related to long on the shelf, Focus will open Profile, which premiered at Berlin three years ago, wide on 5/14/2021.

And speaking of horror, Spiral has moved up a week to 5/14/2021 to take any possible audience from Profile.
Profile will bomb no matter where it opens. It's way too small-scale to deal with the competition.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Which is why I said "any possible audience". :roll:

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
March 25th, 2021, 3:57 pm
Which is why I said "any possible audience". :roll:
I didn't mean to offend...

Image courtesy of -