The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

This would be Cronenberg's first film to go wide since Eastern Promises in 2007. Does Neon see a hit or are product shortages making this move necessary?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Necessary? Probably not but taking advantage of a stretch where there's so few wide releases on the calendar seems like the right move.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

In other news, STX officially has new backers-so Operation Fortune should have a new date soon and Bed Rest has a real chance to actually be released on its current July 15th date.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

transformers2 wrote:
April 22nd, 2022, 4:51 pm
Necessary? Probably not but taking advantage of a stretch where there's so few wide releases on the calendar seems like the right move.
I'm not criticizing the move. I was just wondering if theatre chains pleaded Neon to play it wide as so few films are scheduled for late spring and some of the currently scheduled films either look like non-starters or one and done.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

New dates:
Three Thousand Years of Longing 8/31/22
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish 12/21/22 (from 9/23/22)
On a Wing and a Prayer 4/5/22 (from 8/31/22)
Untitled Illumination Mario Movie 4/7/22 (from 12/21/22)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

So I guess Shang-Chi made Labor Day a good weekend to open movies. But how do we know that wasn't a one-time thing?

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I doubt the Three Thousand Years Of Longing release date was influenced by Shang-Chi...- I imagine it is attempting to be in the late-summer counterprogramming spot that used to be consistently successful (I believe The Constant Gardener opened on Labor Day weekend, for example). I could actually see it being the highest grosser of August, which will probably be very weak (unless something moves, Beast is the only other release that I could see doing 50 m+, though it's hard to tell what anything will do when only one August release has a trailer so far).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

George Miller's last film was Mad Max: Fury Road and MGM sees a lot of in this one, even getting it a spot at Cannes. Normally, this would be a big holiday release or even midsummer. Labor Day seems like a odd place to put it, even if Shang-Chi did well there last year and proved you can put a tentpole on a traditionally dead weekend.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And for the 487th or whatever time, Universal tells us that the Wicked movie is happening. It is now scheduled for Christmas Day 2024, five years after its last scheduled date.

Does it save the modern movie musical, which was more than likely killed by Cats (interestingly, the film that got made after Wicked was delayed the last time and took its last scheduled date)? I'm going to respond with a strong no.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Oh man, I wish you learned about this from somewhere besides Box Office Mojo: They're splitting it into 2 parts. The sequel comes out Christmas 2025. Musical interest seems to be really low at the moment in both the theatrical and streaming space, but perhaps the Wizard of Oz angle will bring some people in.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think they waited too long to do Wicked. It might have been the Hamilton of its day but when's the last time anyone's talked about it?

I have a feeling that the only reason why it's getting made is corporate synergy. Universal co-financed the show so to get the film rights, meaning that they didn't have to pay a large amount a money for the rights after it became a hit (look at how much Warner Bros. paid for In the Heights, which ended up losing way more money than what the reported budget was). By adapting a property they already have ownership to, Universal probably sees easy money. After all, that's why we're getting a new straight-to-DVD Munsters movie.

Of course, the budget's still going to be enormous because of pre-production costs, which could easily be in the mid-to-high eight figures due to all of the starts and stops. And I'm not sure if they have to pay L. Frank Baum's estate royalties for the use of the characters, which could be another couple of million if the characters are still under copyright.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Alejandro Inarritu's latest Bardo has been acquired by Netflix. It will release sometime in the fall.

Also, Warner Brothers has dated Barbie for July 21, 2023 and temporarily removed Coyote vs. Acme from the schedule.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I see Netflix is still chasing that Best Picture Oscar. But it's going to be hard with all of the show business movies coming out.

But then again, the Academy does love Inarritu.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shazam!: Fury of the Gods has moved away from Avatar 2 and will now open on December 21st.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Disney, seeing the recent boom in widely-released Indian films, has scheduled the first of a trilogy of superhero films, Brahmastra, for a 9/9/2022 bow. I have to wonder if these are successful, they find a way to include these characters in the MCU (even though this is supposed to the start of its own universe called the Astraverse).

Disney has also scheduled a reissue of Avatar, which should have footage from the sequel or at least a long trailer before, for 9/23/2022.