The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

Paramount has picked up Sundance selection My Animal, beefing up its continued recent interest in horror. They also recently announced Smile 2 (Smile Harder?) is in the works.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A24's meddling with Disappointment Blvd. continues. It now has the very lame title of Beau is Afraid and the first poster makes it look equally as lame.

Meanwhile, Miyazaki's newest is finally complete and will open in Japan in July. GKIDS should end up having it ready to open domestically before the end of 2023.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Paramount has picked up a ready-made franchise called One Mile, which is a pair of thrillers starring Ryan Phillippe in a last-ditch attempt not to become a full-time Kevin Sorbo/Gina Carano/insert has-been celebrity that's gone off the deep end. Paramount is considering a theatrical release but I'd be surprised if it was anything more than an VOD title.

The only thing of note is that both films were produced by a junior at Duke, making her one of the youngest producers of a Hollywood film, but her dad financed the project so nepotism was probably in play.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Richard Curtis is writing a Christmas comedy for Peacock, which will star Melissa McCarthy. Before COVID, this would have been a theatrical release.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

MGM has picked up a sequel to Night of the Living Dead from the director of Nanny. Not sure if this will connect with Romero's Dead films or be its own thing.

In other news, it looks like Lee Isaac Chung will be directing the Twister sequel. An interesting change of pace from Minari but he was previously attached to direct the remake of Your Name., so maybe he just really wants to have a big budget for his follow-up.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Marlowe has moved back up to February 3rd. Make up your mind, Open Road.

In other news, Fear Street 4 is now in the works at Netflix. The director of Watcher is taking over the reins.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on December 20th, 2022, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Hulu will be premiering a remake of The Boston Strangler on March 17th. The cast is impressive for a streaming exclusive and might have done decent numbers if Disney had any faith in it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Blumhouse gets away from Universal for at least one movie. They Listen will be released by Sony on 8/25/2023.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 9:05 am
Blumhouse gets away from Universal for at least one movie. They Listen will be released by Sony on 8/25/2023.
The fifth Insidious film is being released by them as well (They have had post-theatrical rights, and I believe international rights, for the previous films but I believe this is the first one they are distributing worldwide).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Insidious was already at Sony, via Stage 6, before Universal and Blumhouse began their first look deal. Universal only got the theatrical distribution rights to the third and fourth entries as a result of the Focus/FilmDIstrict merger nearly a decade ago.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Close has been pushed back a week to 1/27/2023. I wonder if A24 may release it wide or at least semi-wide, as currently only two small indie films (Fear and Maybe I Do) are set to debut nationally and by then, there will be open screens.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

After winning an Oscar for one film and being the focus of an Oscar-shortlisted documentary last year, it was only a matter of time before Billie Eilish got a concert film released theatrically. An extended version of a filmed performance at London's O2 will hit theatres on January 27th.

Could a leading role in a film project being next?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The Twister sequel-which Lee Issac Chung is now confirmed to be directing-is now officially titled Twisters. Universal has dated it for July 19th, 2024
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Broken Lizard has a new adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, titled Quasi, hitting Hulu in April. This could be interesting.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Next Goal Wins gets delayed again, to 9/22/2023. I have to imagine that it's so it can premiere at Toronto.

Meanwhile, MGM will open The Covenant on 4/21/2023, beating Guy Ritchie's previous film, Operation Fortune, to a US release.

On the same day, Lionsgate will release Somewhere in Queens, more than likely for a totally different audience.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on January 22nd, 2023, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.