The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not listed in there but is certain to get awards attention is Maestro, even though there has been criticism over Bradley Cooper using a prosthetic nose to play Leonard Bernstein.

Another unscheduled Netflix title, Unfrosted, could be an awards contender. That or it ends up like Jon Stewart's directorial efforts: quickly forgotten and viewed as nothing but a novelty.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Beau is Afraid's final run time is one minute short of three hours. So why is this opening in April?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

eOne has picked up Palm Trees and Power Lines, one of the more controversial titles at last year's Sundance Film Festival, and will open on March 3rd.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

A24 is probably trying to mimic Everything Everywhere All At Once's success with the April release date for Beau Is Afraid.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Eh, not so confident that's the intention behind the date. A roughly 3-hour surrealist horror comedy is going to be a really tough sell for most audiences, and it seems unlikely that A24 expected it to do well at the box office.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Beau is Afraid doesn't have the crossover appeal or style that mimics a popular film franchise. It's pretty much the type of thing that appeals exclusively to a more specialized audience.

Which further makes an April date weird. It seems like the type of thing that opens in September or October, so you can premiere it at Toronto or Venice and even if the reviews are bad, you can still get some type of audience as you've got that festival pedigree.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

transformers2 wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 8:30 pm
Eh, not so confident that's the intention behind the date. A roughly 3-hour surrealist horror comedy is going to be a really tough sell for most audiences, and it seems unlikely that A24 expected it to do well at the box office.
I don't expect it to do well at all, but arthouse-leaning genre films seem to often open in March/April (though most of them seem to fizzle out once they go wide), and A24 has had some success in the past around this time with films such as Ex Machina and the aforementioned Everything Everywhere All At Once, which I assume was why they chose this date.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ex Machina had a lot of pre-release hype and had done well in Europe. In addition, if you have a good but small genre film, you want to avoid the forthcoming blockbusters and open either before they do or wait it out and open after. Meanwhile, Everything Everywhere All at Once was a March opener and expanded slowly, taking advantage of word of mouth and a thin wide release field (Disney, a major cause of this shortage of product, could have stolen a lot of Everything Everwhere...'s thunder had they not dumped Turning Red into a single theatre and let men's rights and moral police people massacre it once the film hit streaming).

Beau is Afraid has none of the hype of those two films, or Aster's two previous films, and is likely not going to be platformed for a few weeks before expanding wider. A24 seems to be planning a wide opening but also looks to be cutting its losses by doing a very sub-standard ad campaign. Changing the title from the much-superior Disappointment Blvd. is already a sign that they just want to be rid of it but don't want to piss off Aster or those who loved his first two.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Following in the footsteps of Barbarian and Smile, Disney has decided to pivot The Boogeyman from streaming to theatrical after it scored highly in test screenings. It's set to release on June 2nd.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That had been in the works for a while. Disney just could never find a date they liked.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

After seemingly being in limbo for some time, Lionsgate has decided to platform White Bird: A Wonder Story on August 18th before a wide expansion a week later. This probably means the similarly-themed Golda changes dates again.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Amazon Studios is getting back into the wide theatrical release game. The Phil Knight/Nike biopic Air will hit theaters on April 5th.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not sure why they picked that particular movie instead of one of their bigger budgeted titles. Air will more than likely make less than Affleck's last directorial effort.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Very well could've been to respect the wishes of Affleck. Him and Matt Damon have been vocal proponents of theatrical releases of late.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Sundance acquisitions so far:

The documentaries Kokomo City and Little Richard: I Am Everything went to Magnolia.
Fair Play (thriller with Alden Ehrenreich and Phobe Dynevor) went to Netflix for 20 m.
Theater Camp (mockumentary comedy produced by Will Ferrell) is at Searchlight, for 8 m.
A deal for John Carney's Flora And Son is expected to be made sometime soon.

Image courtesy of -