Thanksgiving Weekend

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Thanksgiving Weekend

Post by Buscemi »

Actually, three movies go wide on December 11th. The Princess and The Frog, Did You Hear About The Morgans? and Invictus (yes, it's going wide immediately).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Princess and the Frog is going to crush. Just look at the other Disney films on the top of the PTA charts. It should finish somewhere between 150 and 200. I really see it being huge, and outdueling Alvin for the big family film of the winter.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Buscemi wrote:So if you were in the studio head's shoes, you would rather be a money-hungry monster releasing terrible movie after terrible movie rather than releasing good movies that are actually meaningful. If I were in those shoes, I'd rather lose money releasing good movies than make money on bad movies. At least with the good movies, people will find them in the long run and cherish them.
This is why you would be out of a job in 6 months. Welcome to Reality 101.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Did You Hear About The Morgans is opening on December 18th, according to it's official site. Counter-programming against Avatar, I guess.

And Invictus just looks like a limited release kind of movie, surprising that they're opening wide.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I guess with the success of Clint's last few movies they felt they could take a risk. At the moment it's certainly a contender for Best Picture at the Oscars, solely because of the subject matter.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yep, I see nothing wrong with releasing this wide.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Invictus looks really good, i cant wait to see it

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

undeadmonkey wrote:Invictus looks really good, i cant wait to see it

I 100% agree. It is actually the only film that i really want to see in December.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

transformers2 wrote:

I 100% agree. It is actually the only film that i really want to see in December.
Yep, everything else I really want to see, though I can't really not watch Avatar or Sherlock. Overall it looks like a mildly disappointing holiday season.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SUPER LEAGUE RESULTS

I'm posting them here, for one reason. The final numbers for a lot of films were not made available on BOM. Granted, most of those are films that have been out for a while, and so the dollars earned by them in the past week represent such a low number that it they are unlikely to affect the standings. However, until everything is final, I won't be posting them. However, I will elaborate on the final stats right here.

Ultimate FY Round 9
Final Round: jas, Shryke, JackO, wrestler, leestu, Donte, Geezer, codeslinger, Spectre, Scripps, J-Man, Aquamann
Out: Roode, W, Walleye, UDM, chugs, mutard

Ultimate HY Round 4
Final Round: kblane, jas, Shryke, longhorn, JackO, Geezer, wrestler, Spectre, codeslinger, Scripps, UDM, Joko, J-Man
Out: W, Aquamann, Roode, Nycguy, Donte, Ron Burgundy, englishozzy, akibaali, chugs
Joko finished 0.5 points ahead of W and 1.0 ahead of Aquamann for that final spot.

Box Office FY Round 9
Final Round: W, JohnErle, Shryke, wcrew, Barca, jas, Geezer, Keyser, Scripps, Spectre, codeslinger, Roode, J-Man, UDM
Out: Graywolf, Aquamann, JackO, Shaan, wrestler

Box Office HY Round 4
Final Round: W, Shryke, JohnErle, Barca, jas, Geezer, Donte, Scripps, Chien, codeslinger, Keyser, Roode, Dantic, Ron Burgundy, UDM
Out: Graywolf, Aquamann, mutard, JackO, SAMIAM, delfinasu, Buscemi, wrestler, Shaan
Dantic beats Graywolf for the last spot by only $1.8M.

Sept Ultimate Regulars
Winner: Shrykespeare
2nd Place: jas (-10.5 pts)
3rd Place: silversurfer (-17 pts)

Sept Box Office Regulars
Winner: Keyser Soze
2nd Place: BanksIsDaFuture (-$200,836)
3rd Place: Shrykespeare (-$21M)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

W wrote:
transformers2 wrote:

Yep, everything else I really want to see, though I can't really not watch Avatar or Sherlock. Overall it looks like a mildly disappointing holiday season.

I think it is a very disappointing holiday season. The past 2 years have been really good to so it a bit of a letdown.

I think Avatar look like complete shit and i will proably wont ever watch it. Sherlock Holmes looks alright. I proably catch it on DVD being a fan of RDJ and Guy Ritchie.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I actually think it looks good, I want to see Brothers, Everybody's Fine, Princess Frog, The Lovely Bones, Invictus, Avatar, and Sherlock Holmes

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Most interested in:

Up In The Air (to see how many places I actually recognize, such as the Lambert Airport)
The White Ribbon

And that's it.

I may go watch Avatar and The Lovely Bones with friends (I didn't care for the book version of The Lovely Bones because it didn't have enough ghosts but my friend loves the book, she explained to me that it's not really about ghosts).

January seems more interesting to me (The Book Of Eli, Hoodwinked 2, Legion, Edge Of Darkness).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, January is stacked next year. I'm sure Hoodwinked 2 will not come out, it's already December and we have nothing for it. In addition to those, January will also bring us Daybreakers and the wide release of The Lovely Bones.

And of course, The Spy Next Door AND When In Rome!!!
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Book of Eli, that Gibson movie (Edge of Darkness?), Tooth Fairy, and Priest are also coming out as well as Spy, Daybreakers, Rome, and Bones. Not that I want to watch all of them, but there is a market for all of them, though not at the same time. It should be interesting. I think Spy Next Door takes the Paul Blart crowd from last year (though not as much). The only one I'm really looking forward to is Eli... Priest and Bones are the only two that really come close.