The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

JohnErle wrote:By a "a vocal minorty" do you mean China? Studios are not in the habit of greenlighting expensive FX-laden movies to satisfy cult audiences. The sequel is coming, whether you like it not, so somebody a lot closer to the situation than you or I obviously sees some value in it.
Even though it looks like foreign box office matters, the domestic totals are still the most important in Hollywood's eyes. Otherwise, we would also be seeing sequels to John Carter, Battleship and The Three Musketeers and Grown Ups 2 wouldn't have happened. The vocal minority I'm referring to is people on the Internet who acted like Pacific Rim was the best thing ever. Come on, it's not.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow, another underperformer (probably). I'm beginning to think I lucked out by picking only Neighbors and a few other minor summer releases for the Full Year. I can only hope that my #1 and #2 picks, which come out this November and next March, can excel.

Of course, if the summer swoon extends into winter...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BrocksterDuex
Nick Naylor

Post by BrocksterDuex »

Skryke, your #1 is going to blow everything else out of the water. It's not going to be close. And Neighbors was a great pick where you got it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

The Guest 9/17/2014 (and it looks like it will be limited after all)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Buscemi wrote:
JohnErle wrote:By a "a vocal minorty" do you mean China? Studios are not in the habit of greenlighting expensive FX-laden movies to satisfy cult audiences. The sequel is coming, whether you like it not, so somebody a lot closer to the situation than you or I obviously sees some value in it.
Even though it looks like foreign box office matters, the domestic totals are still the most important in Hollywood's eyes. Otherwise, we would also be seeing sequels to John Carter, Battleship and The Three Musketeers and Grown Ups 2 wouldn't have happened. The vocal minority I'm referring to is people on the Internet who acted like Pacific Rim was the best thing ever. Come on, it's not.
Pacific Rim: $411,000,00 worldwide
John Carter: $284,000,000 ww
Battleship: $303,000,000 ww
Grown Ups: $271,000,000 ww
Three Musketeers: $132,000,000 ww

The numbers speak for themselves.

Seriously, spend five minutes checking the numbers before you post this kind of stuff and you'd look a lot less foolish.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I meant by percentages (the other three movies I mentioned along with Pacific Rim grossed at least 70% of their final totals internationally while Grown Ups only made 40% of its final total internationally). Outside of China, Pacific Rim internationally did not fare all that well. In Japan (where a lot of the success was expected), the film only grossed $14.5 million (where it got beat by films like The Lone Ranger and A Good Day to Die Hard). In the UK, it only grossed $12 million (being beat by films like The Impossible, Turbo, Philomena, A Good Day to Die Hard, Rush and The World's End). In other big filmgoing countries like Australia, France and Germany, the movie wasn't that successful. Outside of parts of Asia, the only other country where it was truly a hit was Mexico (and that's only because of the director).

In fact, subtract China's total from Pacific Rim and the film made less internationally than John Carter and Battleship. I'm all fine with greenlighting sequels on foreign box office but they should have greenlighted one that has more major appeal than in one country.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Untitled Whitey Bulger Film (they've filmed scenes for this near me and it's going under the title "Black Mass") 9/18/15
Before I Go to Sleep 9/12/14
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Fast & Furious 7 is now been bumped UP 1 week. It will now be released on April 3rd 2015. Someone is happy about that in the full year, who was it that took a punt, Aquamann?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

Jimi: All is By My Side 9/26/2014 (since XLrator is distributing rather than the originally announced Open Road, I don't expect box office to be reported)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Fast & Furious 7 is now been bumped UP 1 week. It will now be released on April 3rd 2015. Someone is happy about that in the full year, who was it that took a punt, Aquamann?
Well, look how well that spot worked for Captain America. Is April the new July?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

And, the summer box office season stretches onward. I remember when Memorial Day weekend was the "official" start of the summer box office season. Then, it got stretched to the beginning of May. Now, surprise-surprise, we may be looking at the end of March (Hunger Games) or the beginning of April (Captain America: Winter Soldier) as the new beginning of the "summer" box office season. Hell, The Lorax, Alice in Wonderland and Oz The Great and Powerful each opened at the beginning of March and grossed $200+ million, with Alice grossing $334 million. Maybe we should make the first weekend in March the start of summer!
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I said that last year, March was already fast becoming the start of the summer season in Hollywood's attempt to make every week Summer. In the process, this has come at the cost of turning late July into a dumping ground (how does a weekend go from a tentpole like The Dark Knight Rises to a dumping ground holdover like The Conjuring* in one year?).

* - I know that The Conjuring made millions but in past years, a film like that would have been destroyed in mid-Summer as others would have seen an opportunity there.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I don't think they are trying to "start summer earlier," they are simply trying to make other parts of the year more profitable. Saying they are trying to make every week the summer is basically like saying that only summer releases make money.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I was gonna say the same as Geez. I think studios are realizing the benefit of opening a big film outside the summer season when competition is less strong, and that in the end, if you have on your hands a film that audiences will gobble no matter what, it doesn't matter if it opens in July or March.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BrocksterDuex
Nick Naylor

Post by BrocksterDuex »

Fast & Furious 7 is now been bumped UP 1 week. It will now be released on April 3rd 2015. Someone is happy about that in the full year, who was it that took a punt, Aquamann?
This helps the sting of Deliver Us From Evil for my FY Draft.