2024-25 YEARLONG BOX-OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Re: 2024-25 YEARLONG BOX-OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

Post by Chienfantome »

Alright, sometimes you gotta take a film you're really not into. But I'm not inspired in this round, so I'll give a try with The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Lionsgate seems it's gonna push it at the end of the year, and it looks like one of the Christian films that could break out.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I'll take The Crow
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 10:24 pm
Mortal Kombat is a great pull, but I'm not sure if it's been filmed yet? Though I guess it won't be hard to film it this summer and get it ready for March/April.

For this pick, I have no idea if it's a black and white silent movie or not, but it's probaby going to do decently over Christmas/January. I'll take Robery Eggers' Nosferatu and hope it does a little better than his last release.
Mortal Kombat 2 wrapped filming at the end of January. Obviously, I have no clue if it will be released by the end of the season, but there are plenty of gaps on the calendar between September and April where it could be slotted into and I'm pretty confident that it will be barring some kind of major reshoot situation.

As for Nosferatu, the stills and CinemaCon footage confirmed that it wasn't shot on black-and-white film and there is dialogue. As ideal as its release date it is for making money, I do believe it's going to have a hard time outgrossing The Northman.
numbersix wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 6:37 am
In the Grey

Because January loves a good action film, usually with Statham in it

Statham has his own January action vehicle tentatively on the schedule for the 2nd straight year, so maybe his pal Guy Ritchie will have to push his movie out of respect.
Ron Burgundy wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 5:38 am
Is there a place where we can find a bunch of TBD movies like Mortal Kombat 2? I feel like I'm gonna need some options after next round...
Anyways, I'll pick up another movie drafted originally last year, Harold and the Purple Crayon

There's not a place that I know of that has any sort of clean master list, but going through the upcoming titles section on each studio's Wikipedia page is a helpful tool for picking undated titles.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Chien you stole both my movies in the span of a few picks! At this stage of the draft I think those are both winners.

So I'll pivot and choose Eden. Sydney Sweeney and Ana de Armas. Need I say more? Just hoping it gets a theatrical release.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Damn, that is a ballsy pick. It could end up paying off if it lands at a theatrical distributor, but that's a huge risk to take at this juncture.

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Between the trajectory of Ron Howard's last few films and it being from a production company that mostly does day-and-date and streaming titles, Eden has Netflix written all over it.

As for the film itself, it sounds a lot like The Beach, which was an enormous flop back in the day. But I wouldn't expect this one to go in that Alex Garland direction, so it really don't have a big hook like The Beach did.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Ballsy indeed in round 7. But it's true if it lands a distrib that releases it in theaters, I know a lot of guys who would pay to watch Sweeney and De Armas on the big screen together on the Galapagos islands.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

They didn't show up for Immaculate and I'm sure they all hated Ghosted. I'd expect them to wait for VOD.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Chienfantome wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 10:23 am
Ballsy indeed in round 7. But it's true if it lands a distrib that releases it in theaters, I know a lot of guys who would pay to watch Sweeney and De Armas on the big screen together on the Galapagos islands.
Vanessa Kirby is in it too. It would be a hit off of horniness alone!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Kind of my thoughts exactly. I figure it's 50/50 on theatrical release but if it does - that cast wearing bikinis on an island has to draw an audience.

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

You do realize the Internet exists, right?

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

You do realize Anyone but You was a surprise hit. And Ana de Armas was the best thing in all four of her last movies?

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Anyone but You took off because it was the first romance to get a wide theatrical release in a long time and it was a TikTok meme. You could have put any two actors in that movie and it would have made bank because audiences were hungry for something that wasn't the same few genres studios push. Look at the After movies. Those do well in post-theatrical markets and internationally but you don't see people actively seeking other movies starring the leads. We've been seeing that post-Anyone but You but the myth of Sweeney being a box office draw is still getting pushed.

And de Armas has been on a down patch in the past few years. She needs a hit but this isn't it.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'll hold off on the undated films for me for at least another round, and take the other big horror movie of October: Terrifier 3.

Not sure how setting it at Christmas will affect it, but 2 gained the franchise a lot of new fans. And this one will have a wide release as the first horror movie of October.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

And thank you for whoever took The Crow and Harold/Purple Crayon, because I was very close to taking either, and I really don't want them lol

I'd never heard of Eden, but you're telling me there's a movie with Sydney Sweeney, Ana De Armas, and Vanessa Kirby??? And I'll get to watch it with my own eyeballs this year!? AND IT'S AN ISLAND MOVIE SO WE'RE PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEED SCANTILY CLAD-NESS???

I would've picked that in Round 1 :o

And to refute you Busc, Anyone But You definitely was a hit mostly based on the chemistry between Sweeney and Glen Powell, and a bit by TikTok. Sweeney was even the mastermind behind the rumors that the two had an on-set affair, which also propped up awareness on the movie leading up to release.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife