2022-23 YEARLONG BOX OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: 2022-23 YEARLONG BOX OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

Post by numbersix »

I think we've only done a list after drafting of whatever is remaining (including undated films).

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Grabbing a couple more TBAs since I'll have the #1 waiver claim and should be able to replace one of them fairly easily.

I'll take The Plane with my first. It sounds like an incredibly generic Gerard Butler movie but those make enough money that it's worth the pick if it lands on the calendar. At this point, between Borderlands/Expendables 4/The Plane, I'm just hoping that Lionsgate decides to put something on their calendar this year/early next and I can have one or two of these return some money.

And I'll close my draft with Batgirl. It's currently slated for HBO Max but with the issues that streaming services are having and the success of recent superhero releases, apparently WB is rethinking that decision. It kind of looks like it was made for streaming but the cast is good enough to justify it. Come on WB... you know you want to...

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I didn't know Butler had made a film with Jean-François Richet.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero I saw is supposed to be out next month. As the last one made over $30 million domestic, this one should net Sony another $20 million.

As for Batgirl, even though I firmly believe it should be a theatrical release, I have a feeling Warner Bros. will use every excuse in the book to keep it a streaming exclusive. The best case scenario might be like with Navalny: screen it for a couple of days via Fathom Events to build interest for HBO Max.

Anyway, for my final pick, I will return to the awards well with The Son. The last time Florian Zellner directed Anthony Hopkins, both won Oscars. The follow-up could be bigger from a financial standpoint.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I've been hesitating a lot on that last pick. I'm not sure how it will end up getting distributed, it could very well end up on a platform, but it's intriguing enough as a potential hommage to Twins starring Josh Brolin and Peter Dinklage, so I'll go with Brothers.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Seeing some of the names involved and how the plot isn't exactly known, I have to wonder if Brothers is actually the Toxic Avenger remake that's been in the works for seemingly an eternity. Kind of like how the Blair Witch remake/sequel was initially thought to be a completely unrelated film or the case of the Cloverfield sequels.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien is a big fan of sibling projects this year.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
May 9th, 2022, 10:54 am
Chien is a big fan of sibling projects this year.
They will be my triumph or my doom !
Buscemi2 wrote:
May 9th, 2022, 10:50 am
Seeing some of the names involved and how the plot isn't exactly known, I have to wonder if Brothers is actually the Toxic Avenger remake that's been in the works for seemingly an eternity. Kind of like how the Blair Witch remake/sequel was initially thought to be a completely unrelated film or the case of the Cloverfield sequels.
It's definitely not, but my biggest fear is that it ends up on Netflix or Amazon. If it doesn't, the pedigree is good enough for a potential success.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Who knows with Legendary at this point. If Warner Bros. passes on a film from them, it feels like it ends up on streaming (Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Fresh, for example).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi2 wrote:
May 9th, 2022, 11:01 am
Who knows with Legendary at this point. If Warner Bros. passes on a film from them, it feels like it ends up on streaming (Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Fresh, for example).
Exactly. We'll see.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I'll take Decision to Leave
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

As for the whole list thing, i suppose six is right, we only had it for leftovers. Can we change that for next time and create a full list including potential films? My main source is boxofficemojo but i also look at hsx, my gripe is that i dont look at some of the movies drafted by others, a full list changes that and ruins it for those in the know ;)

Either way, good luck to everyone this calendar year! It feels fun to be involved in this thing again, cinema seem like its not gonna die anytime soon after the big covid thing.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
May 9th, 2022, 12:51 pm
I'll take Decision to Leave
I like this pick !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

As for the list thing, I think drafting from a preset list takes away a lot of the fun so I would be against it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Chienfantome wrote:
May 9th, 2022, 1:03 pm
As for the list thing, I think drafting from a preset list takes away a lot of the fun so I would be against it.
I agree, I think using a list would take away a lot of the fun and challenge. Being able to research and find films that aren't on the calendar and that others aren't aware of is part of the fun and helps give you a competitive edge. There's always a few films that I kick myself for not turning up but that's part of the game.