2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: 2015-16 Full Year Draft Thread (Division A)

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, is it just me or is there a lot more movies with release dates this year? I feel like this time last year, we were scraping at basically anything, but now there's still at least a dozen or more movies available that can easily make $30M.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

And when those dozen are gone, we'll still have 2 rounds to go.... We'll still be scraping.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

It feels like a deeper draft for sure but there is a lot of junk out there now. "Could" make $30M could also mean dumped for like $10M with a lot of these titles. I think the good filler lasted a couple rounds longer than last year but is pretty much gone again.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Spectre wrote:Looks like we've officially reached the bottom of the dumpster. Rather than take something terrible, I'll take a gamble with Silence. Apparently it wrapped today and while I won't pretend to have the slightest clue if it'll get out of post production in time to get onto the calendar for Oscar season, it has infinitely more upside than anything else I'm looking at; at the worst it'll be an easy drop for a waiver. I took Step Up All In at this spot last year for Pete's sake!
Wondered when someone in Division A was going to pick this, since it was picked in the 4th round in Division B.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

Shrykespeare wrote:Wondered when someone in Division A was going to pick this, since it was picked in the 4th round in Division B.
It could return 4th round money or better if it actually comes out this year but it could just as easily (and probably more likely) be a giant friggin' goose egg. It took guts to pick it in the 4th. I was going to wait until 15/16 to gamble for it (since I'm picking 9th I'll have a sweet waiver spot that I'll want to use at some point) but when I saw it wrapped today, I pushed it up a turn in the order. All the stuff I'm looking at now is either garbage or speculation anyway so why not take a shot in the dark?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'm not sure if there's much of an audience for a 3-D (it's still in 3-D, right?) movie where Adam Driver is a priest in feudal Japan. Hollywood's been pushing him for a while and audiences haven't been buying.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

Buscemi wrote:I'm not sure if there's much of an audience for a 3-D (it's still in 3-D, right?) movie where Adam Driver is a priest in feudal Japan. Hollywood's been pushing him for a while and audiences haven't been buying.
It'll be sold to the public as Scorsese, Neeson and Garfield, I doubt they'll even need Driver to appeal (no clue about the 3D). Based on Scorsese's history, if it even just gets released in 2015, it'll easily earn enough to justify a 13th round pick for me. It probably won't happen but if you saw the junk on my list and my projections for them, you'd know why I rolled the dice. :lol:

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah, nothing much left with release dates, but I'll still take a couple.
Criminal and Risen for me.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

I almost took Criminal last round. It's intriguing to me because the cast looks more than interesting on paper but that release date they moved it to may as well be a trash can. Hope it does well for you... but not too well :twisted:

I'll go with Before I Wake and give my slate a very unplanned 4 horror movies in a row. Mike Flanagan actually got good reviews (for a horror movie) with Oculus, the cast is decent and the trailer intrigued me. Child horror is all the rage now so let's see how far this one goes... hopefully to at least $30M given that they moved it into a fall slot.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I can't believe Silence was picked in the 4th Round in B Division. I don't know what went through Six' mind ;)
If it gets released in time, it should be a great 13th round pick for you Spectre.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Spectre wrote:I almost took Criminal last round. It's intriguing to me because the cast looks more than interesting on paper but that release date they moved it to may as well be a trash can. Hope it does well for you... but not too well
I'm wary of it, but given what's left on the table, I don't want to have too many films without release dates, and this one has a remarkable cast, an intriguing premise, a studio and a release date. I don't see a lot of potential in it, but in these rounds, I'll settle for a $30/40M potential. Besides, even if January doesn't scream confidence, there's still money to make there. This year, Boy next door made $35M with Jennifer Lopez, so I'm sure the pairing of Gary Oldman, Kevin Costner and Tommy Lee Jones can do that.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Post by SuperShaan »

I pick Love the Coopers
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chienfantome wrote:I can't believe Silence was picked in the 4th Round in B Division. I don't know what went through Six' mind ;)
If it gets released in time, it should be a great 13th round pick for you Spectre.
It's either genius or madness. I can't remember which.

Paramount have very little in terms of Oscar films this year, so if Marty can cut fast they might want to release it late Dec.

And Boosch, Garfield is supposed to be the lead with Neeson and Driver as support.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Genius or madness indeed, Six. It would be a first for Marty to finish a period film so quickly, but it might happen. Problem is, even if it gets released at the end of the year, I can't see Silence with blockbuster numbers. I don't have enough faith in American audiences ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Lol, I actually picked Silence last year, a forehead smacking move. I'm staying away from any TBAs this time. I still dont understand the stupid waiver wire system but I feel like you need to use it to actually win. Also, where do find movies that get announced late, like John Wick?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale