Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Post by numbersix »

Banks: I loved it when I saw it, but it hasn't stuck with me and I'm not bothered about seeing it again.
Boosch: It's okay. Maybe that's just because Clint isn't in it ;)
Chien: Such an imaginative, interesting story.
John: Made my list. Incredibly powerful, and such great performances and characters.
Ron: Whale's vagina.
Shryke: I may have seen this. Maybe not.
Surf: WTF
Tranny: Very enjoyable.
UDM: Raimi had a ball making this one. Some really fun sequences.
W: Amazing sense of style and pace, without ever glorifying the dark aspects.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Banks, Up in the air : I remember finding it an excellent film back then, but it never really stuck, and I haven't seen it since.
Boosch, Mystic River : Another wonderful film from Clint, it wasn't far from my Top.
John, Take Shelter : An amazing film I listed early in my top. Nichols is one of the most fascinating American filmakers working today.
Six, 40 year-old virgin : Oooh, I wasn't expecting this one in your Top 10. it ranks amongst the 15 or 20 films I left out at the last minute. It's the best Apatow film, easily. Probably because in this one, his obsession with the values of family life isn't as obsene as in some of his other films. It's much more natural while most of his others lack subtlelty on the matter.
Ron, Anchorman : A brilliant comedy, again that almost made my top. So many characters and lines and situations so funny here.
Shryke, Dodgeball : So this is the round of US comedies :lol: Dodgeball isn't as great as the other 2, but it's stilly a funny film.
Surfer, Mulholland Dr : A fascinating film from Lynch, one in which you discover something new each time you watch it. Listed it earlier.
Tranny, Superbad : Yep, it's definitely the comedy round. And another excellent one at that, hilarious and sweet.
UDM, Spidey 2 : Great superhero film, at a time when the genre wasn't exhausting.
W, City of God : Still haven't seen !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks, Up in the Air - Saw this once. Didn't blow my mind or anything, but it was good.

Buscemi, Mystic River - Great taut thriller.

Ron B, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - Was I the only one who expected this to be six spots higher on his list??

Transformers, Superbad - MCLOVIN!!!!

UDM, Spider-Man 2 - One of Marvel's better efforts.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

BANKS Up In The Air (2009) - I forgot about this movie somehow. Don't think i would include it in my top but I really did like it when i saw it. I was very surprised and Anna Kendrick stole the show.

CHIENFANTOME Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - I've seen it, but i've had those memories erased ;)

JOHNERLE Take Shelter (2011) - pretty good movie.

NUMBERSIX The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) – I've really come to admire Steve Carell as an actor, i wonder if that would change my perception of the movie if i gave it another go

UNDEADMONKEY Spiderman 2 (2004) - I'm sure we've all seen it so there's not much to add. 10 - 20 years from now when the superhero cinematic universes will be over and most episodes will be forgotten. This film will stand out as a classic.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

BANKS

Shaun of The Dead
(2004)

BUSCEMI

Mud
(2012)

CHIENFANTOME

On the occasion of remembering the Turning Gate
(2002) - The second film by Korean master Hong Sang-soo in my Top, and obviously, my favorite film of his. People who don’t like his films complain he seems to always make the same film. It’s true and it’s not, because if the style is often the same, and the situations too, Hong is one of those filmmakers who own a universe, and expand it, sculpt it, experiment it from film to film. And to me “Turning Gate” is his masterpiece. The story follows an actor, the kind that doesn’t work often, who takes the train to Busan to go visit his parents. But on the train, he meets a woman he falls for instantly and decides to get off at her station instead, to try and seduce her. “Turning gate” is, as often is Hong’s cinema, funny, quirky, fascinated by the relationships between men and women. But what makes it so unique in Hong’s filmography is the poetry and the beauty that emerge from the storytelling. Nothing appears without a reason, and with this simple story, Hong digs deep in the human soul, captivating, surprising, and moving.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313550/vid ... _=tt_ov_vi

JOHNERLE

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
(2003) - This might be the only movie over three hours long to ever leave people wanting more. After The Two Towers spun its wheels a little bit, The Return Of The King gave the trilogy an epic climax for the ages. I only read the book after seeing the movie, skipping straight to The Scouring Of The Shire to see what all the Tolkein purists were complaining about, and after reading it I have to say I can see their point. Another 40 minutes or so telling that part of the story would have been worth the inevitable bladder problems a movie that long would have caused.

NUMBERSIX

In the Mood for Love
(2000) – It’s a film about nothing. It’s about two married people who find themselves alone more than they ever thought, who eventually find company in each other. Inevitably, feelings emerge, but life, and sometimes being a few seconds too late, get in the way. Won Kar Wai’s film is a tribute to Brief Encounter, but is very much its own film, imbued with the director’s beautiful style that evokes a distinct sensuality and longing without it ever having to be expressed. It is pure cinema.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypY9OaKCfRU

RON BURGUNDY

Mad Max: Fury Road
(2015)

SHRYKESPEARE

Lord of the Rings
(2000-03) - I know, this is something of a cheat, and it's thirty-five hours long, but I have to give props to Peter Jackson for bringing to wonderful life the series that for decades all filmmakers thought was impossible. Visually stunning and reasonably accurate to Tolkien's style, this story of heroism and friendship against insurmountable odds was exactly what filmdom needed at the turn of the millennium. Absolutely brilliant.

SURFER

Black Swan
(2010)

TRANSFORMERS

Django Unchained
(2012) - Django Unchained is the type of masterclass in tone, pacing and beautiful excess that only Tarantino could pull off. Turning a story about a bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) and a recently-freed slave's (Jamie Foxx) journey to rescue the title character's wife (Kerry Washington) from the clutches of a vicious plantation owner (Leonardo Dicaprio) into a massively fun, often hilarious revenge western without shying away from the atrocities of slavery is a monumental accomplishment that deserves to be celebrated.

UNDEADMONKEY

Signs
(2002)

W

28 Days Later...
(2002) - I believe Danny Boyle made the best zombie film ever. He ratcheted up the speed, style, and violence, which has been copied from most of the big zombie films since (WWZ, Dawn of the Dead 2004, Zombieland). It has great visuals and for the genre it has an excellent story and characters. I don't think they knew the pulled the beginning straight from The Walking Dead but it's ok because every zombie film has lifted something from 28 Days Later since.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks, Shaun of the Dead - for the fifth time, GREAT film.

JohnErle, LOTR: Return of the King - we tied for sixth! Great choice!

Ron B, Mad Max: Fury Road - great remake. Period.

Transformers, Django Unchained - wow, four times. Sorry, still hated it.

UDM, Signs - Hmm. The first MNS film to appear besides Unbreakable. A good film, but this high? Wow.

W, 28 Days Later... - for the fifth time, GREAT film.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: Great zom-rom-com
Boosch: Really liked Nichols doing a modern Mark Twain story. The shoot out ending doesn't quite keep in line with the tone of the rest of the film, but it's still pretty good.
Chien: Never heard of it!
John: You must be only one who wanted more. Never have I heard an audience so frustrated with a film that goes on so long after the plot ends. Still, as a single film it's somewhat proportionate ;)
Ron B: Guitar flamethrower!
Shryke: That's more like it ;) One of the few films that's on both of our lists. So far!
Surf: Not my favourite Aronofsky, but I do love its atmosphere.
Tranny: Cut have been cut down by around 20 mins, but still great.
Signs: I just can't get over how ridiculous the plot is. Good set up and mildly interesting characters, but that whole water thing? Come on.
W: Amazing film.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Banks, Shaun of the Dead : Great film, fun and fresh.
Boosch, Mud : One that was very close to my Top. There is something simple and yet profound in Nichols' cinema that fascinates me.
John, Return of the King : What an emotion it's been to leave the LOTR universe once this film was over. Great choice.
Six, In the mood for love : I can't believe Dancer in the Dark won the Palme d'Or over this beautiful film. A subtle yet intense piece of cinema.
Ron, Fury Road : A furious cinematic adventure that left me impressed. Made my list earlier.
Shryke, LOTR : One of the most ambitious and epic piece of cinema I've ever seen.
Surfer, Black Swan : Disturbingly great, made my list earlier.
Tranny, Django : Love it, great action, great writing, great acting.
UDM, Signs : An intense film carried by Shyamalan's science of storytelling and atmosphere. Love it.
W, 28 days later : So seriously, has anyone not listed it besides me ?? I love it though, great film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

In which, for the first time in the countdown, a movie appears on three separate lists during the same round. A new contender for the collective top 10, to be sure.

BANKS

Her
(2013)

BUSCEMI

The Tree of Life
(2011)

CHIENFANTOME

The Host
(2006) - 2006 is one of the most defining years of my life. It is, without a doubt a year that shaped who I am and the life I live today. It’s the year I couldn’t bear just watching Korean films anymore, I had to start learning the language. This lead me to meeting some of my best friends today, meeting the woman I live with today, and it took me on the road to becoming the programmer of the Paris Korean Film Festival. And I know that one of the reasons I took that path 11 years ago was discovering Bong Joon-ho’s The Host in the spring of 2016, a few days after it world-premiered at Cannes. The word of mouth was brewing in the cinephile circles of Paris that Cannes’ best film that year was this Korean monster movie, and I managed to catch a special screening months ahead of its release. It blew me away. On the paper, this story of a monster attacking Seoul could have been just another well-made B-movie. But this is a masterclass of storytelling, combining human drama and social tale, tragicomedy with political parable, and putting it all in a thrilling, devastating monster adventure that nears perfection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZ55OiHl9w

JOHNERLE

WALL·E
(2008) - This is animation in its purest form, and would have made Chuck Jones proud, had he lived to see it. And like the best science fiction, it's actually about something, namely rampant consumerism and corporate homogeneity, which was a bold artistic statement for a company that had just been gobbled up by Disney. It also tackles the dangers of becoming overly reliant on technology, and the line between AI and sentience. And even if you're too young to understand all that, it's a heartwarming story about a lonely robot finding companionship after decades of solitude.

NUMBERSIX

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
(2000) – A film that introduced most of us to Asian cinema, and indeed kicked off a few years in which Japanese, Korean, and Chinese cinema appeared in the multiplexes. While this film comes from a long ancestry of thoughtful martial arts films, it is still the best. Truly deserved of the over-used word “epic”, this is a story spanning lands and years as a young assassin who must make the right moral choice about her abilities, and her feelings. A story about young love, it’s also one about missed opportunities, told from the perspective of two older warriors who share an unspoken passion. The film balances action, philosophy, and romance perfectly, and masters each with such ease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFH6lXJ6c4k

RON BURGUNDY

Wall-E
(2008)

SHRYKESPEARE

WALL-E
(2008) - For my money, the best thing Pixar's ever done, and that's saying something. The animation wizards actually made people (including me) believe that two robots, who aesthetically do not resemble humans at all, could fall in love ... well, that just tugs at every string in my sappy sci-fi heart. WALL-E sees the universe with the innocence and curiosity of a child, and the surly EVE eventually warms up to him. Together, they make a great on-screen duo, as they attempt to guide humanity back to the world that bore them.  A visual masterpiece of animation and storytelling.

SURFER

The Dark Knight
(2008)

TRANSFORMERS

Memento
(2000) - Christopher Nolan's breakout film is quite possibly the most perfectly-constructed thriller I've ever seen . The central mystery is enthralling as hell, Guy Pearce is sensational in the lead role and the reveal at the end is a doozy.

UNDEADMONKEY

Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince
(2009)

W

Guardians of the Galaxy
(2014)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: Great film. Think it's one that will last the ages, and people will use in the future to look back at our generation.
Boosch: A beautiful, dreamy-like, spiritual film.
Chien: That's 3 films in a row that made my list. This is such a great balance of monster movie and family film.
John, Ron, Shrykon: Bravo to all of you.
Surf: I really thought this would appear more in our lists. One of the best superhero movies ever
Tranny: Great, twisted noir.
UDM: Which one is this? Ah, the one that's a film dedicated to a single beat. It's about 2 hours too long.
W: Fairly entertaining but insignificant.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

#5 (Top 5 !!!!!! Yeaaaah !!!!!)

Banks, Her : A great film from Jonze, it just missed my Top 100, I should rewatch it some day.
Boosch, Tree of Life : A masterpiece, made my own Top 10. The last great film from Malick for now.
John, Ron, Shryke : Wall-E : So much love for the little robot this round ! It's a great Pixar film, I only wish it wasn't so different in its second act, but an inventive and bold film nonetheless.
Six, Crouching Tiger : That's a surprise, I didn't remember you loved this one so much. To be honest, I absolutely loved it in theater, but I have never rewatched it, that's why I didn't consider it for my Top even though I adored it. It feels so far. I should revisit it.
Surfer, The Dark Knight : The best superhero film. The only one that made my top.
Tranny, Memento : Another one that was almost in my Top but I left out because I haven't seen in ages. Remarkable film.
UDM, Half Blood Prince : To me it's the only HP film with Azkaban that is worth watching. It's still just a HP film, and I'm no big fan, but it is indeed better than the rest.
W, GOTG : Fun, fun, fun. I loved it because it was outside the Avengers universe too, and I'm afraid the sequel will start connecting it to the rest and that's a shame.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

This round has, by far, the most films in it that I've actually SEEN. Only Her and The Tree of Life remain unwatched for me.

Chien, The Host - Knew this would be on your list somewhere. Really great film.

Six, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - Whether you love it, like it, or go "meh" at it, it's not a film you forget. Ever.

Surfer, The Dark Knight - Oh, YEAH.

Transformers, Memento - Still don't like it.

UDM, Harry Potter & Half-Blood Prince - Great film.

W, Guardians of the Galaxy - Outstanding choice, obvi. :D

JohnErle, Ron B, & Me, WALL-E - I'm beyond ecstatic at our like-mindedness. I wish I could invite you guys over to the house so we could watch this again.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Shrykespeare wrote: JohnErle, Ron B, & Me, WALL-E - I'm beyond ecstatic at our like-mindedness. I wish I could invite you guys over to the house so we could watch this again.
I just checked the weather in Arizona. Break out the sleeping blankets. I'm staying for a month.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I won't lie, the weather in AZ is awesome right now. The scorpions sure love it...

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

JohnErle wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote: JohnErle, Ron B, & Me, WALL-E - I'm beyond ecstatic at our like-mindedness. I wish I could invite you guys over to the house so we could watch this again.
I just checked the weather in Arizona. Break out the sleeping blankets. I'm staying for a month.
What are your AirBnB rates, John?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr