Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Post by Ron Burgundy »

W: The Replacements (2000) - You're really not selling it to me when you say "it isn't great" (although having Keanu Reeves probably deters me more). Have you only seen a hundred films?
what a burn.....
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
#six wrote:W: The Replacements (2000) - You're really not selling it to me when you say "it isn't great" (although having Keanu Reeves probably deters me more). Have you only seen a hundred films?
what a burn.....
Yeah... I don't really think attacking a person rather than a film itself is necessary. And it's 1,635 films I've seen as far as I've kept track of. I'm sure you've seen more, but I really couldn't care less.

And this is a "favorite" film list built more on repetitive viewings than quality. Or so I was told. For me, it would be a whole different list if that were the case. I haven't viewed many classics more than once or many films in the past few years more than once and have in the past (and now) find a lot of stupid comedies pretty funny. And sometimes when something lacks a whole lot of "quality"I find it even funnier. Since I haven't viewed many films in the past few years more than once, I've got to use what I used to view more than once.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well, I'd hardly call it an attack, I was mostly pointing out that on occasion you say more negative things than positive things about your choice. I've always advocated the idea of making a top 100 of favourite films over what's regarded as being "objectively" good (whatever that means), but sometimes not even you seem convinced of your choice. Hence my remark.

I should also add there's a few films in my Top 100 I've seen only once, and while they might go up or down after more viewings, I'm not holding back just because I haven't seen them multiple times. Especially if I can still picture them vividly after only that single viewing.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Monsters vs Aliens
I can't believe this film has been cited twice. It's not bad, and would it have been 10 or 15 years ago, maybe it would have had time to become a classic to some, I don't know, but it's recent, and it's so... so... unremarkable. Some characters are good, and it's fairly watchable, but that's all I can say about it.

Surfer - This is Spinal Tap
I really wish I'd seen this one. But I haven't !!!!! I've been meaning to see it for years !

greenarrow - Rashomon
I haven't seen tons of Kurosawa, maybe half a dozen that's all, but it's my favourite. A revolutionary technique of narration perfectly used to depict the conflicts of points of views, of perception. A great film that totally deserve to have become an adjective, with the term "Rashomon-style" often used to compare a film using multiple point of views.

transformers - True Romance
I've only seen it once years ago, and it was a big letdown. Maybe because back then Tony Scott wasn't on my blacklist, maybe because I expected better of the script. I don't know. But the reason I've only seen it once is because I've never wanted to see it again.

Ozzy - Bruce Almighty
Jim Carrey has made some great comedies in his career, but this is not one of them. The premise is interesting, and could have made a great film, yes, but Shadyac never fully eploits the possibilities of the original idea. Disappointing.

Ron B - Silence of the Lambs
A remarkable thriller, with to p notch direction from Demme and prefect alchemy within the cast. Whatever happened to Demme anywa ? Why is he not doing such films anymore ?!

Buscemi - An unconvenient truth
Very interesting documentary, but too much didactical to be cinematographically important. Plus that "listen to my family stories" aspect of it gets annoying.

Six - Amarcord
Italian cinema is one of my weak points as a cinephile. I haven't seen as much as I should have. And to be honest, the very little I have seen from Fellini has disappointed me, La Dolce Vita more than any other. I haven't seen Amarcord, and I hope one day I'll give Fellini another shot.

Banks - Batman
I've always loved the baroque style of the Burton Batmans. THey are dark in an unrealistic way that is fascinating. Nolan's films are very different because they look for a realism that Burton escapes. His Batmans are great, although I have a preference for Batman Returns, maybe because I have seen it more.

Barca - Jurassic Park
Great pick, again, Barca. One of Spielberg's best, and one of the most iconic blockbusters ever. Thrilling, intelligent, and technically amazing.

Geezer- Ratatouille
Although it's not my favourite Pixar film, it's great to see all this love for that little rat in the parisian kitchens.

leestu - Seven
I really need to rewatch it, as I haven't seen it in years. I remember the more I've seen it, the more I've liked it, but it's been too long. Still, a great Fincher film, but it's feeling more and more like a pleonasm.

W - The Replacements
Haven't seen it. Never released in France, maybe on DVD.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #64

Shrykespeare

The Adventures of Baron Mucnhausen (1988)
– Director: Terry Gilliam; starring John Neville, Eric Idle, Sarah Polley and Oliver Reed. Gilliam’s unique vision and directing style were never more evident than this yarn about one of history’s most notorious liars. Though a tad overlong it had some real gems, including a terrific performance from a nine-year-old Sarah Polley and a cameo appearance by a half-naked Uma Thurman as Venus. The ending fight scene is one of the strangest, the most outrageous, and the single most fabulous that I’ve ever seen. In fact, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wnEYMJ5r0

silversurfer

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
- Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood and Douglas Rain. I remember watching this for the first time when I was about 12 and didn't actually have a clue what was going on for the first 15 minutes or so with the apes. I was mesmerized, I'd never seen the beginning of a movie be so bold as to have no dialogue for such a long time, but at the same time bewildered. But it kept me intrigued as to what would happen next. What would unfurl would become one of the most engrossing movies I'd ever witnessed, it literally was like watching art on film as it played out the ascent of mankind through evolutionary jumps. It's ambitious, thought provoking and visually beautiful. Kubrick literally reinvented sci-fi and everything which would follow was influenced by it. But it's so much more than that, it's poetic in it's language and full of wonder. That final segment where we experience another jump in evolution is such a rush (and I don't even do drugs!), it's overwhelming. I'll be honest, to some extent I can understand how it can be seen as boring, but I guess those viewers have gone into the movie expecting one thing and getting another. If you can get in the right frame of mind and allow Kubrick to take you on a journey, you will find that this is more than just spaceships; it's a movie about ideas and ultimately is actually one of the most expressive pieces of film ever put on screen. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4TQ1NTo50

thegreenarrow

The Bicycle Thief (1948)
– Director: Vittorio De Sica; starring Lamberto Maggiorani, Enzo Staiola and Lianella Carell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzEopdP0QS4

transformers

Clerks 2(2006)
- Director: Kevin Smith; starring Jeff Anderson, Brian O'Halloran, Rosario Dawson and Jason Mewes. If isn't already obvious, I love Kevin Smith. I think this is his finest work. It was really great to see Smith back doing another Clerksfilm, getting back to his roots and doing a sequel to the film that launched his career. Again, Smith's dialogue is top-notch, he is truly a craftsman in that department. Crude, outrageous and tear-inducing hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2DxyAGzGxM

englishozzy

Sunshine (2007)
- Director: Danny Boyle; starring Chris Evans, Cliff Curtis, Michelle Yeoh and Cillian Murphy. A very underrated film in critic circles but I find this to be one of Boyle's best. An almost psychological sci-fi thriller that explodes out of the starting blocks and doesn't ease up until the final 15 minutes. Boyle does brilliantly in using every second in every scene count and also bring true horror without the need of gory special effects. A bit of a let down when the finale comes which is probably why this film is not higher up on my list. It definitely shows that Boyle is somebody to watch for the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ2-xR54UDU

Ron Burgundy

Happy Gilmore (1995)
- Director: Dennis Dugan; starring Adam Sandler, Carl Weathers, Julie Bowen, Allen Covert, Christopher McDonald, Kevin Nealon and Bob Barker. Adam Sandler’s best movie in my humble opinion, the Ben Stiller cameo is priceless. I like the big guy too, when I first saw him I thought that is one dude I don’t want f*ck with. But Happy Gilmore is the best, with his crazy rage and uncanny golf driving. I know people either hate this or love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa0hSPPW1so

Buscemi

Traffic (2000)
- Director: Steven Soderbergh; starring Michael Douglas, Don Cheadle, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Dennis Quaid and Benicio del Toro. Fall 2000 was a great season for dramas about heroin. While Requiem For A Dream focused on the addiction, this remake of the 1989 miniseries Traffik (also highly recommended) tells us about the trade. Separated into three stories (one about a drug czar whose daughter becomes an addict, one about government agents trying to bust a drug kingpin and one about an informant going undercover into the world), the film is never boring with Soderbergh bringing his A-game and plenty of good performances. Despite having its six-hour source material condensed into two and a half hours, it does not lose any of its power and it's a remake that manages to equal (and quite possibly outdo) its original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjpadtJs9QA

Chienfantome

Plein soleil (Purple Noon) (1960)
– Director: René Clément; starring Alain Delon, Marie Laforêt and Maurice Ronet. The dominance of English-speaking cinema in so many minds will never erase the fact that some foreign stars are (or were) as great and as big in the world as some Hollywood stars. One actor that would probably rank high in a list of the best foreign actors ever is Alain Delon. Yes, he’s French. Yes, today he is this 70 year-old who barely acts and when he does, he only acts in forgettable stuff. But Delon used to be one of Europe’s biggest stars, and one of the continent’s finest actors. He played for Visconti, for Losey, for Melville. And for René Clément, in the first Tom Ripley film ever. Plein Soleil (also known as Purple Noon) is the first adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley. Yes, the Minghella film with Damon is very good. But René Clément’s version with Delon is the best. Delon could play seduction and danger with such easiness, such evidence. He’s slick and fascinating. Clément, on his side, manages to make a film perfectly capturing the essence of the European cinema of the time. Splendid images, great acting, and a kind of nonchalance that runs through the film, pushing for the realism (with a fantastic score by Nino Rota). But most of all, Plein Soleil is to be remembered for a sense of danger, for a pure tension that grips you and never lets you go. Those devilish blue eyes of Delon certainly help…

(I found a video montage with the Nino Rota theme for the film, there will be no language problem !)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxtP6ZI3t0

numbersix

Akira (1988)
- Director: Katsuhiro Otomo; starring Mitsuo Iwata, Nozomu Sasaki and Mami Koyama. I remember seeing this for the first time late night on BBC, knowing nothing about anime or even Japanese culture. The ultra-violence attracted me (although even as a bloodthirsty teen it disturbed me a tad, especially later into the film) but the audacity of the story and the imagination involved felt like a mind-expanding experience. This was beyond the sci-fi I had seen, and it still stands as a brave, fascinating film, with a leftfield ending that is mesmerizing. SS said it a few weeks ago, but anime can be very hit-and-miss, and this is certainly a hit for me. There’s also a sense of melancholy (or “spleen”, as Chien says!) in the characters, especially the psychics who are outcasts that can warp their mind. I’m dreading the live-action remake directed by the Hughes Bros and starting Zac Efron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqp1BDXpAJU

Banks

Juno (2007)
- Director: Jason Reitman; starring Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner. Another touching, great film from Reitman, Ellen Page cements herself as one of the best young actresses around. Once past the annoying, hipster-wannabe that populates the first 20 minutes of the film, it settles in on the great performances from Page, Jason Bateman, and especially Jennifer Garner (who was robbed of a Best Supporting nod), and a great script from Diablo Cody and Reitman himself, and it’s one of my favorite movies from 2007. The scene when Jennifer Garner talks to Juno’s unborn baby is played to perfection by both actresses, and it gets me every time I see it. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0SKf0K3bxg

BarcaRulz

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
- Director: James Cameron; starring Arnold Schwazegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, and Robert Patrick. Second blockbuster in a row, and again this one thoroughly deserves its place. Easily better than the original because it provides us with a wider grasp on the story and some highly entertaining actions scenes. Not to mention the improvement in the special effects. As for all this talk about a happy ending, I think not! (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL1RE8JXaIw

Geezer

Cinderella Man (2005)
- Director: Ron Howard; starring Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger and Paul Giamatti. Geezer sure does love him some inspirational sports movies! Boxing movies are just awesome. They lend themselves so well to the "down on his luck, has one last shot at the big time, one final puncher's chance at glory" type story. Cinderella Man is no different, and certainly one of the best. Fantastic acting all around carries this one, and I can never see a time where a film this good isn't on my list. Can't wait for The Fighter to come out, because there is a good chance it will end up on this list. I just have a feeling ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlbHzcH4VJY

leestu

The Blair Witch Project (1999)
– Director Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez; starring Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard and Michael C Williams. A movie people seem to either love or hate but I loved the originality of it, bringing something new to the horror genre. A great example of how if you let it the imagination can be scarier than visual presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZu1cTg-xUM

W

Knocked Up (2007)
- Director: Judd Apatow; starring Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl and Paul Rudd. I just got into this one recently. Seth Rogen and Heigl are good in this, but what really makes hilarious is the supporting cast consisting of Jason Segel, Leslie Mann, Martin Starr (Bill from "Freaks and Geeks"), and especially Paul Rudd and Craig Robinson. And I don't think a truer thing has been said in a movie than this: (link).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqcNP7_eATo
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Holy crap.. 3 of my future movies are in this round! :o

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Between Juno and Blair Witch, I can see this will be a round Geezer won't particularly care for...
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #64

Shrykespeare: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988) – Gilliam is one of those directors who struggles to make a great film but the idea behind each film is always great. This, Time Bandits, and The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus all suffer from being a messy jumble of ideas that never quite seem cohesive, but ultimately there's so much visual brilliance and passion behind the central theme that I can't help but admire them despite all the flaws.

silversurfer: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - This is going to be a film that divides people here. I guess that division is where people can enjoy non-linear, non-narrative films, and where people can't. I'm obviously in the former camp, as I think it a unique and brilliant film. Beautiful, dense, and challenging, but also easy to watch due to Kubrick's masterly control of the moving image. It's also a indictment of humanity, of how we are too merged with the beastly to truly create universal harmoney (remember, HAL is programmed by humans) and thus we must end for life to prevail.

thegreenarrow: The Bicycle Thief (1948) – Get your hankies out if you watch this, as it's one miserable journey. But very powerful too.

transformers: Clerks 2(2006) - I do like Clerks, but that clip was so awful I'll never watch this. Seriously, the main guy's performance is Razzie-worthy. The comic timing is non existant, and the joke is predictable and goes on for way too long. I think Smith is actually getting progressively worse as a director.

englishozzy: Sunshine (2007) - This is a frustrating film for me. In ways, it's outstanding. It's a good premise, the set design, effects, and sound design are amazing. Cliff Curtis's character is fascinating, and I like how Evans's character is portrayed (he's cocky but ultimately he's not wrong, and even plays his essential role in helping everyone). But for all those amazing element the film simply descends into a space horror, and the philosophical rantings of the antagonist come across as adolescent rather than pertinent. I still think 28 Days Later is Boyle's best (though I'm excited about 127 Hours).

Ron Burgundy: Happy Gilmore (1995) - I think I've seen most of this. Kinda typical 90's Sandler stuff.

Buscemi: Traffic (2000) - I actually think it did lose its power. Interestingly, I didn't know it was an adaptation of a TV show (I was only familiar with the series that's a spin off of the movie), but it explains a lot. There are some good moments in this film and some great cinematography, but the character arcs are poorly developed. Worst of all is Zeta-Jones's character, whose transformation is so instantaneous that it's almost unbelievable. For all its preachiness it really fails in its storytelling.

Chienfantome: Plein soleil (Purple Noon) (1960) – Man-crush alert! ;) Seriously, though, I had to read a bit more about this film, but I did love The Talented Mr Ripley so I'd love to see how the obsession (which is clearly homoerotic in the 99 version) is portrayed.

Banks: Juno (2007) - Akh! Not more of this. Sadly, the hipster element of the film isn't just in the first 20 minutes, its throughout the film. Pretty much everyone who speaks blurts out annoying hipsterisms until they all sound like one character and ruin the movie. And I don't think Garner was in it enough or did enough to warrent any award recognition (though I also don't think Tilda Swinton deserved it. Saoirse Ronan did).

BarcaRulz: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - I do love this film, and I'm sure it'll be getting plenty more love as we get closer to Number One. I love how Cameron expands on the character, developing not just Sarah Connor but also the nature of the machines.

Geezer: Cinderella Man (2005) - Out of curiosity, Geez, what makes this film more exceptional than any other boxing film. If they're all about down-on-their-luck boxers, surely you need something special to make it memorable? I'm only asking because I haven't seen this (was tempted due to Giamatti) but the reviews over here were mostly poor.

leestu: The Blair Witch Project (1999) – I don't know, man, I can't put this in a Top 100 because it's not so much a film as a gimmick. Or a rollercoaster. There's no lpot, theme, or characters, it's really just an exercise in shocking you. And while this is effective, it's nothing more than that.

W: Knocked Up (2007) - I was disappointed when I first watched this, but after another I think I realised that it's not really a comedy as much as an offbeat romance and a drama about having to grow up. Now I love it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Six, the acting is top notch in Cinderella Man, at least I thought so. Plus the fact that it takes place during the great depression, and focuses a lot on Braddock's struggle to keep his family off the streets and with some kind of food in their mouth. Its less about the boxing than it is about a man that basically needed to do anything he could to help his family. His boxing triumph was never about him, or a quest for fame and fortune. It was a quest to keep a roof over the heads of his kids. Plus Giamatti is so great, totally makes any movie better just by being in it.

And did you miss that Juno was on my list Banks?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Sounds interesting, Geez, might give it a go.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #65

Geezer - Ratatouille - Outstanding pick, though I have to disagree with you about Wall-E. But I'll save that discussion for later. Our seventh overlap. (10/10)

leestu - Se7en- Glad to see I'm not the only one with this pick on my list! Our fourth overlap. (10/10)

englishozzy - Bruce Almighty - See above. Our EIGHTH overlap. (9/10)

BarcaRulz - Jurassic Park - and my #101! Wow! (9/10)

Ron Burgundy - The Silence of the Lambs - Still holds up well as a horror/thriller after all this time. Hopkins is electric. (8/10)

Banks - Batman - I agree that Burton's take on Batman was pretty darn good, but I would probably have higher praise for this film if I didn't have Nolan's to compare it to. (7/10)

MOVIE #64

BarcaRulz - Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Not the first time this film has appeared, and it won't be the last, that's for sure. Our seventh overlap. (10/10)

Geezer - Cinderella Man - Well, this is my favorite boxing film too (apart from Diggstown, which was more about the con than the boxing), and I seriously considered it for my list. Nice choice. (9/10)

Ron Burgundy - Happy Gilmore - Being the avid golfer that I am, this film still gives me a few chuckles. And the Bob Barker smackdown is a classic! (7/10)

W - Knocked Up - Funny how over the years my taste for raunchy sex comedies has waned so significantly. When did I become such a prude? Well, anyway, this one had its moments, but not enough for me to love it. (7/10)

englishozzy - Sunshine - Only seen this once, and I remember being somewhat unfazed by it. It seemed to me like a slightly more cerebral Event Horizon. (6/10)

silversurfer - 2001: A Space Odyssey - There are parts that I like, parts that I hate, and parts that I have a hard time understanding (or staying awake through). (5/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - The adventures of Baron Munchausen
Gilliam is a one of a kind filmmaker who makes unique films. Some are a disappointing mess, others are a brilliant mess. Munchausen is a brilliant one. I haven't seen it in a long time though !

Surfer - 2001 : A Space Odyssey
Loving or not 2001 is less evident than a simple appreciation or not of the peculiar narrative style of a film, or the lack of it. At least that's what the sensations I remember tell me. Because I do not consider myself a spectator allergic to non-linear style of narration, far from it, but 2001 left me cold when I saw it. I've only seen it once, in theater , 8 or 9 years ago, and honestly was bored. I won't deny it's groundbreaking, and fascinating, and unlike any sci-fi film ever seen before, but in the end, I was just bored. It's been almost a decade, so maybe I would perceive the fiml differently today, but as long as I haven't seen it a second time, it will remain a bad memory for me.

greenarrow - The Bicycle Thief
A fantastic film. Like I said earlier, italian cinema is a weak point for me, but I still have seen some, and The Bicycle Thief is one of the most remarkable I've seen.It's a simple and touching story that realy marked me. I would have probably included it with a more recent viewing...

transformers - Clerks 2
As a fan of Clerks, I was really anxious to see Clerks 2. And I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not only is it rageously funny, but it's got a surprisingly well handled spleeny tone to formulate our relationship to nostalgia, to the past, and to how time passes by and leave us as unassumed, unsecured, and kind of lost adults when we'd still want to be insouciant kids. Good stuff.

Ozzy - Sunshine
Danny Boyle is a strange filmmaker I can't quite put my finger on yet. I still can't figure what I think of him. He's so hit or miss with me. I'm really curious to see 127 Hours. For the moment though, Sunshine is my favourite film of his. Yes, the turn the film takes in the last act lacks the grandeur Boyle could have given the film, but nonetheless, Sunshine is a brilliant sci-fi venture for Boyle, visually thrilling, thematically fascinating, and beautifully melancholic.

Ron B - Happy Gilmore
I've seen this one on the cable a few years back, and you'll never guess how it was retitled in France : Terminagolf. Yes, they dared to rename it this way here. It's kind of funny, right ? The film itself is pretty forgettable, though ;)

Buscemi - Traffic
I remember how hyped this movie was 10 years ago. Everyone, absolutely everyone wanted to see it. I was an intern at a movie website then, and it was a bloody battle to get a place for the press screenings. It really impressed me then, but with time, the film kind of lost of its power on me. Maybe because I haven't seen it in a while.

Six - Akira
Aaaaaaaah, you give me a good reason to finally watch Akira, which I have on sitting on my DVD shelf for ages, but still haven't put in my player. I probably didn't need a good reason, as the reputation of the film speaks for itself, but now here's a good excuse ;)

Banks - Juno
Some probably overpraise it, some complain about the overpraise, I'm in the middle. I love the film, without thinking it's an important one. It's well written, it's tender, it's full of great performances. It won't ever be in my Top 100, but it's a very fine film.

Barca - Terminator 2
There's a lot of love for James Cameron's sappy happy ending ;) I like the rest of the film though !

Geezer - Cinderella Man
Not bad. It's a decent film. Watchable. Which Ron Howard film is it ? Oh yes, the boxing one with Crowe and Giamatti. Not bad, decent, watchable. Adjectives I use to qualify most of Ron Howard's films, this one's no different.

leestu - The Blair Witch Project
I remember I was 17, it was summer, and I was on my way to Reunion Island, in the south of the Indian Ocean, to visit family living there. I caught Blair Witch the day before leaving for the airport. The film really scared me. I will remember that ending for the rest of my life, no doubt about it. As I think it can't work as well a second time, on TV, I've never watched it again.

W - Knocked up
Apatow confirmed with Knocked up all the good I thought of 40 year-old virgin. It's really funny, but it's more than that. It's a human comedy on growing up. An excellent film. Whatever happened to Judd with the half baked Funny People ?!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote: Chienfantome: Plein soleil (Purple Noon) (1960) – Man-crush alert! ;) Seriously, though, I had to read a bit more about this film, but I did love The Talented Mr Ripley so I'd love to see how the obsession (which is clearly homoerotic in the 99 version) is portrayed.
Oooooh, definite man crush alert when it comes to Alain Delon's performances in the 50's/60's/70's. I want to be him ;)
I was very wary of the 99 version, as an admirer of Plein Soleil, but was pleasantly surprised by it. But the homoerotic male obsession was already very clear, probably even more, in Plein Soleil ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #65

Shrykespeare: Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) – Man, and I though I liked animations!, However, although just my opinion it seems like you love just any animation no matter the quality so far, as many of them have been passable at best, and this is definitely no different. (5/10)

thegreenarrow: Rashomon (1950) – Brilliant and revolutionary for the way movies can be directed. Will be hearing more from me in a little while. (10/10)

transformers: True Romance (1993) - It was okay when I was 12, but honestly my appreciation has worn off it a little. You can definitely feel a Tarantino vibe in the movie, but I think he stepped it up a notch when he made his own movies. (5/10)

englishozzy: Bruce Almighty (2003) - Great idea but could have been a lot better. And is anyone else totally in bewilderment as to how Jennifer Aniston still has a career? I mean she plays the same dull girlfriend in pretty much every movie and can't seem to add anything to her characters. And I really don't think anybody gives a crap about who God is, they were more disapproving of the poor quality of jokes. (6/10)

Ron Burgundy: The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Truly is one of the best thrillers of modern times. Keeps the tension going right to the end with great performances and fully fleshed out characters (for which Lector can devour...) (8/10)

Buscemi: An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Haven't seen it, actually. Will probably watch it if it comes on tv, but I never really go out of my way for documentarys. (N/A)

Chienfantome: Kikujirô no natsu (Kikujiro) (1999) – Been on my Amazon list for years so should probably find this at some point. Sounds a really interesting movie and something I'd enjoy. (N/A)

numbersix: Amacord (1973) - I know I should do, but I haven't been able to get through a Fellini movie yet. We managed 30 minutes of 8 1/2, and then an hour of La Dolce Vita (though granted with the latter we were just very tired and haven't gotten around to putting the dvd back on yet), so I'm somewhat sceptical of this. However, this does sound at least intriguing so maybe I'll give it a go one day. (N/A)

Banks: Batman (1989) - Batman Returns was better, but this was still a highly enjoyable comic book movie and certainly the best series until Spider-Man was released. I loved the Gothic design for Gotham and what is it with villains in Batman movies always upstaging the Batman? Nicholson did it in this, DeVito did it in Returns and then you have Ledger most recently. I suppose it's the character design, but Nicholson was great. Great movie which maybe ten years ago would have made my list. (9/10)

BarcaRulz: Jurassic Park (1993) - And it was on my list at no.101 too!! Good to see a lot of praise for one of the most entertaining movies of the last 20 years. (10/10)

Geezer: Ratatouille (2007) - I think everyone mentions the Ego flashback scene as it is obviously the best moment in the movie (just as the awesome flashback scene is in Up), but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the rest of the movie. The story itself isn't that special, but it's the feeling that goes into the movie that makes it so good (much like a good meal!). Paris looks amazing (tell me anyone who didn't want to visit it after seeing this), and the characters are all so likeable and the story is told with so much love. I think I still prefer Wall-E, just, but they are both very good movies. (8/10)

leestu: Se7en (1995) – Absolutely classic movie with a chilling ending. When I first saw this and then Fight Club, I though Fincher would be the best director for a generation, and he hasn't really let us down since. (10/10)

W: The Replacements (2000) - I think I understand where you are coming from now on your picks. When you watch a movie you don't like to be challenged (and I mean this in a good way), in that you want to kick back, relax and just enjoy something. Same way as Geez needs to be totally entertained by his movies and six needs his to be thought provoking and profound. I guess we all love movies, but for different reasons. Movies have the power to take us away from the rigours of day to day life and relax for a couple of hours. So while I may not like many of your movies, I think I'm beginning to understand why a particular type of movie keeps popping up on your countdown. It's like I know pizza is bad for me, but sometimes I just really want to tear away at all it's cheesy goodness ...

Oh, by the way I haven't seen this before. (N/A)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #64

Shrykespeare: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988) – This is a movie I've know of for years but didn't have a clue what it was about. That clip certainly seemed to contain many of the brilliance of Brazil, along with a little Pythonism and a dash of The Princess Bride, so no doubt it will be something I'd love. (N/A)

silversurfer: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I knew this would split opinion!

thegreenarrow: The Bicycle Thief (1948) – Truly a heartbreaking movie, and one which will be on my list a little later. (10/10)

transformers: Clerks 2(2006) - I loved Clerks, and picked this up a couple of years ago in a bargain bin. Haven't watched it properly yet though, I caught a clip of the donkey scene and that kind of put me off, but I'm sure I'll watch it one day. (N/A)

englishozzy: Sunshine (2007) - Certainly one of my favourite Boyle movies, this came very close to making my own list. It's so beautifully crafted (something Boyle seems to improve upon with ever outing, the cinematography is awe-inspiring) and that scene where Kaneda dies while fixing the solar panels is so heart pounding. It literally drove me to tears, what with the visuals, music and direction. And beyond that it really is a truly intense movie, with career best performances from most of the cast. Yes, as Shryke pointed out, there is definitely a nod to Event Horizon in this, but I think it was directed better here. And the only thing which stopped this entering my top 100 was the ending, which while thrilling in iteself kind of didn't fit with where the movie was going until that point and so jars with me. Almost perfect. (9.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: Happy Gilmore (1995) - To be honest I don't know if I've seen it, but then I can hardly tell the difference between one Sandler movie and another. (N/A)

Buscemi: Traffic (2000) - I think the amount of furore when it was released put me of this (as well as my general dislike for Catherine Zeta Jones), and because of that I've never gotten round to watching it. Maybe I should one day. (N/A)

Chienfantome: Plein soleil (Purple Noon) (1960) – Sounds great, never knew there was an earlier Tom Ripley movie. Definitely going on my must see list as a fan of the Ripley series (both movies and books). (N/A)

numbersix: Akira (1988) - I remember first seeing this years ago and being dazzled by what the Japanese could do with animation. It's such an ambitious movie with so many intricacies and complexities, not to mention being totally mindblowing. Haven't watched in quite a few years though, should probably wi[e the dust off my dvd case... (7.5/10)

Banks: Juno (2007) - We recently watch Jennifer's Body (why, I'll never know), and if you thought the Diablo Cody dialogue was annoying here, you've heard nothing yet till you see that! Man that was woeful. Anyway, beyond the annoying dialogue, the story itself is good, if not brilliant, and the direction and acting is top notch. Always a pleasure to watch. (8/10)

BarcaRulz: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - Can't agree that this is better than the first, but it's still exceptional in the sci-fi field. But I preferred Arnie as the kick ass bad guy who cannot be stopped rather than the babysitter...[wink] (9/10)

Geezer: Cinderella Man (2005) - Again not something I'd go out of my way to see, even your extended comments didn't make it sound like anything better than Rocky or Raging Bull (definitely the best boxing movie). Just not my thing I guess, although the cast seems impressive. If it was on tv and I had absolutely nothing else to watch, then maybe I'd give this a go. (N/A)

leestu: The Blair Witch Project (1999) – Yeah, there's little plot or characterization, but as a horror it does it's job and man it really is effective in creating a truly disturbing atmosphere and scaring the life out of me (and I don't scare too easily). When in the mood for a truly terrifying experience this is a movie to watch, but certainly not something I could watch every day. (6.5/10)

W: Knocked Up (2007) - Was very pleasantly surprised when I first watched this, as while it wasn't quite up to the standard of The 40 Year Old Virgin, it was a very effective story of reaching that age of maturity and making choices in your life. Yes the comedy is quite hilarious at points, but as with Virgin, that isn't what makes it great, it the undeniable love put into the characters and the script that make it such a success. (7.5/10)