Fantaverse Top 100 Worst Films Ever Made

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Worst Films Ever Made

Post by ROBDude »

I liked The Classic version and the Tim Burton Version of Willy Wonka, W.
Current Film Watchlist:

The Bikeriders
A Quiet Place: Day One
Despicable Me 4
Twisters
Deadpool & Wolverine

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

You see, I feel exactly the opposite, W. The Wilder version, though a great piece of acting from him, was absolute garbage. It diluted Dahl's original vision into a sing-a-long, something easily accessible for an audience who either didn't know Dahl's work or were scared it would offend. It was this kind of movie making which has led to the likes of Happy Feet, Alvin and The Smurfs in recent years. Dahl was willing to reveal our childlike fantasies no matter how dark or nasty they were, while at the same time crafting a hugely inventive and magical world. The Wilder version was stripped of imagination, it felt like it was like a Dahl movie made by an adult, where it should have been from the perspective of a child. I'm not saying the Burton version any much better, it was heavily flawed, but at least he tried to remain true to Dahl's original vision.

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Post by ROBDude »

Let's get the next 2 going:

73 Date Movie

To be fair, Jason Friedberg and Aaron Selzter are the worst directors in the history of Hollywood! I mean, every time they parody a movie, it just gets worst and worst AND WORST! Date Movie is one movie that should be an example of the horrible films made by Friedberg and Selzter. I mean, The parodies are stupid in this film. And trust me. There are ton of examples. The Napoleon Dynamite Parody didn't even look like the real Napoleon Dynamite! And the Wedding Crashers parody is almost as awful as it looks. The Real Wedding Crashers was good. So was Napoleon Dynamite. This Movie is trying to mock famous films! It's mocking famous films! WE BLAME YOU FRIEDBERG AND SELZTER FOR YOUR FILMS! ALL OF THEM WILL BE ADDED ON OUR LIST!

72 Son of the Mask

OK. There are a lot of bad things I can point out on this movie. First, It was a bomb at the box office. Second, Jim Carrey does not return, and THAT MAKES THE FILM EVEN WORSE! The Jim Carrey version was better than THIS AWFUL LOAD OF JUNK! I mean, the special effects are totally way off hand! And the Baby- THE BABY! If he had the only idea to impersonate cartoon characters like Woody Woodpecker and that Singing frog from The Looney Tunes cartoons really annoys me! And the new cast, which includes Jamie Kennedy and Alan Cumming, doesn't work out for me!? WHERE'S JIM CARREY!?! The only thing that I liked in this was ZIM from Invader ZIM as the dog. That was a good performance. Overall, It's Annoying as junk.
Current Film Watchlist:

The Bikeriders
A Quiet Place: Day One
Despicable Me 4
Twisters
Deadpool & Wolverine

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

your list sucks and you are just listing bad movies. bad movies that everyone expects to be bad. if anyone thought date movie would be good has a few screws loose.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah I'm looking forward to when we all join in and see what people really hate. Not the acceptable shit films, but the ones you're suposed to like or respect.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Yeah, speed it along to the Top 25

BTW old Wonka isn't a brilliant film... but it's miles above the plastic, emotionally-detached, Johnny Depp-wank-fest that was Tim Burton's cold, sterile re-adaptation...
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Agreed on both counts, NSpan. Although your use of the word wank is culturally inappropriate. Only us Brits and Micks can use that word

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote:Yeah I'm looking forward to when we all join in and see what people really hate. Not the acceptable shit films, but the ones you're suposed to like or respect.

agreed

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I haven't a lot of the films Shryke just listed, but I completely agree about Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. That is also on my list of worst movies of all time. I love Crank pretty much for the reasons you hate it, it's just so insanely-over the top and ridiclous that makes it entertaining. The sequel was even more over-the-top. It was actually so over-the-top it made the first one look believeable in comparison. Grindhouse is another film I loved (especially Planet Terror, Death Proof wasn't anything special, but I still liked it.)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Agreed on both counts, NSpan. Although your use of the word wank is culturally inappropriate. Only us Brits and Micks can use that word
:) I don't usually use the word--but it's hard to come up with anything else that so aptly describes the relationship between Burton and Depp.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I will never agree with your assessment of Willy Wonka. Comparing it to Alvin and the like because it's part musical is complete garbage. One is CGI animals singing oldies in high pitched voices and the other is some of the best original songs written for the screen. It's hard to get more iconic than Gene Wilder's interpretation Willy and as soon as he's introduced and opens the doors to the entirely edible room then sings "Pure Imagination," I don't see how anyone can't be hooked into the fantasy.

I believe it suffers the reverse fate of Full Metal Jacket. Whereas FMJ has one of the most excellent first halves of a film that it makes the second half (which would have been a decent to good film in it's own right) appear a near-travesty, everything after WW opens those doors makes the first half fairly bland for the most part.

Now can we churn out about 47 titles today?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

W wrote:everything after WW opens those doors makes the first half fairly bland for the most part.
Hadn't thought about it that way before... but agreed!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

When did I ever declare that WW was similar to Alvin due to its music? I said it was a watered down piece of garbage which pandered to an audience, much like the recent animations I listed. It didn't aspire to be anything Dahl had intended, it sucked out all the invention and real wonder (not the visual wonder, the sense of wonder in Dahl's words and imagination) instead just reducing it to a horrible, sacharine and sentimental movie which included music. As I said, Wilder is the best part of the movie, but the script is a mess.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

personally i don't care much for either chocolate factory, i do however like chocolate......

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

undeadmonkey wrote:personally i don't care much for either chocolate factory, i do however like chocolate......
Well, who DOESN'T?

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)