MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2017 (AWARDS EDITION)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2017 (AWARDS EDITION)

Post by numbersix »

Last third of the year, folks, so what's exciting you so far? Reviews out of the fests will help, but so far here's what I'm interested in
Seen and Liked: 120 BPM, The Square, The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Maybes: Suburbicon, Woodshock, The Shape of Water, The Post, The Current War

10: Blade Runner 2019
I'm dubious about a sequel to a film with a perfect conclusion, but it's Villeneuve.

9: It
I feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't catch this Stephen King adaptation.

8: Call MeBy Your Name
A film with so many positive reviews that I can't miss out on.

7: Roman J Israel Esq
Despite the awful title, a thriller from the director of Nightcrawler is just what I need.

6: Untitled PTA Film
If it makes it in time, count me in.

5: Downsizing
A sci-fi satirical comedy by Alex Payne? Sounds so crazy it just might work.

4: The Florida Project
Loved Tangerine, and this looks like abeautiful story, not to mention the amazing buzz out of festivals so far.

3: Mother!
Aronofsky is back, and looks like he's in a more surreal, disturbing territory like Black Swan and Requiem for a Dream.

2: Three Billboards for Ebbing, Missouri
Still the best trailer of the year, and reviews have been positive.

1: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Sure, The Force Awakens was far too derivative, but Rian Johnson is a better director than JJ Abrams, so hoping this will improve immensely.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2017 (AWARDS EDITION)

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm surprised you'd show interest in 66 Minutes of Jennifer Lawrence's Face. That seems like the kind of overindulgent thing you'd avoid (we get it, Darren, you're dating her and not that creepy 30-somethings on the Internet that actually think they've got a chance with her). Blade Runner 2049 will likely be overindulgent as well with the 163 minute run time (the original was under two hours) and a script co-penned by the guy partially responsible for Alien: Covenant's's problems.

And I'll skip The Last Jedi. Hate the title (it's not going to be the last one) and I really don't like Rian Johnson as director (and I imagine he'll just ripoff Empire, make it pretty, and praise will get showered on his recycle-happy ass).

Based on trailers, I'm going to say The Shape of Water is my most anticipated. del Toro's hit or miss for me but I'll be surprised if Hawkins doesn't win all the awards.

From not having seen anything, I'm going with Phantom Thread (though I'm expecting this to get pushed to Summer so it can play Cannes) and Last Flag Flying. Anderson and Linklater (along with Jeff Nichols) might be the most underappreciated filmmakers working today.

And am I the only one that doesn't care for the Three Billboards trailer? All I really saw it as was Frances McDormand saying bitch a lot and the thought that McDonagh might not have put enough research into the project (it seems as if he's going for a socially relevant, made for awards comedy when he should be making a violent cringe comedy about hypocrisy and double standards in middle America* that makes the audience unsure if to laugh or be horrified).

* - Something like Straw Dogs, but funny.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Who doesn't want to look at Jennifer Lawrence's face for 66 minutes?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm all for showing off your leading ladies but when you overdo it and sacrifice plot in the process (I still have no idea what the film's about, both trailers only seem to say it has Jennifer Lawrence in it), it becomes another case of ego outweighing story.

Also, can we stop pairing Lawrence with much older men in every movie? It's creepy every single time (and Javier Bardem is somehow even creepier than Bradley Cooper). The day someone pairs Lawrence with someone her age will be like finding Atlantis.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:Who doesn't want to look at Jennifer Lawrence's face for 66 minutes?
Boosh :lol:
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi2 wrote:I'm all for showing off your leading ladies but when you overdo it and sacrifice plot in the process (I still have no idea what the film's about, both trailers only seem to say it has Jennifer Lawrence in it), it becomes another case of ego outweighing story.
You havent' seen the film, yet you're basing its plot on the trailers which are being deliberately abstract????

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Interesting slate coming the stretch this year. Hoping for a strong finish to this erratic-ass year.
10.Pitch Perfect 3
9.Thor: Ragnarok
8.Molly's Game
7.The Snowman
6.Downsizing
5.Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
4.Star Wars: The Last Jedi
3.Kingsman: The Golden Circle
2.mother!
1.The Disaster Artist

Also interested in:
It
American Assassin
Brad's Status
Battle of the Sexes
Lego Ninjago Movie
Stronger
American Made
Flatliners
Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down The White House
Blade Runner 2049
Brawl in Cell Block 99
The Mountain Between Us
The Foreigner
Happy Death Day
Marshall
Killing Gunther
Only the Brave
Suburbicon
Thank You for Your Service
A Bad Moms Christmas
Last Flag Flying
LBJ
Roman Israel, Esq.
Daddy's Home 2
Murder on the Orient Express
Justice League
Darkest Hour
Death Wish
Vila Capri
Call Me by Your Name
The Current War
Wonder Wheel
All the Money in the World
The Shape of Water
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Bastards
The Post

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
Buscemi2 wrote:I'm all for showing off your leading ladies but when you overdo it and sacrifice plot in the process (I still have no idea what the film's about, both trailers only seem to say it has Jennifer Lawrence in it), it becomes another case of ego outweighing story.
You havent' seen the film, yet you're basing its plot on the trailers which are being deliberately abstract????
He decided his opinion on the film the minute it was announced that Lawrence was going to be in it.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Probably go see it in Theater
1. The Shape of Water - The trailer was right up my alley. While the rumors have been turned down, how cool would this be if it was an abe sapien prequel.
2. Blade Runner 2049 - I've seen the original but i remember so little and remember being bored, but the trailer is fantastic. Makes me want to see the original again. Also, Arrival was the best film of last year.
3. The Post - Speilberg, Streep and Hanks. I haven't actual taken the time to check what the movie is about, but with that kind of pedigree behind it, who cares.
4. Downsizing - So curious about this one. Seems like it wouldn't work, but the few reviews out so far have loved it.
5. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Really is anyone not going to see this. Now that the reboot is done with, hoping this steers into newer territory.
6. Pitch Perfect 3 - The first one was a great, the second one funny, Happy to go see them one last time.
7. The Greatest Showman - Looks like a fun date night movie.

Wait for DVD, unless reviews are must see, then might go see them in theater.... if they come to a theater near me
Thor 3
mother!
The Disaster Artist
Battle of the Sexes
Murder On the Orient Express
Darkest Hour
Call Me By Your Name
The Current War

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Plan to see in theaters:
It
Kingsman
Blade Runner 2049
The Snowman
Jigsaw (out of pure morbid curiosity)
Thor: Ragnarok
Murder on the Orient Express
Justice League
Coco
Darkest Hour
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

May see in theaters:
American Assassin
American Made
Flatliners
The Foreigner
The Star
Wonder
Death Wish

Waiting on a trailer:
The Shape of Water
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

There are tons of films I'm really curious to see this coming season.
Here are some that didn't make my list : Stronger, Kingsman 2, American Made, The Florida Project, The Snowman, Only the Brave, Suburbicon, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Thor Ragnarok, Roman J. Israel Esq, Last Flag Flying, Coco, The Current War, Molly's Game, The Post, The Greatest Showman.

I've already seen, and absolutely love BPM (beats per minute).

Here are my 11 most anticipated films of the season, according to US release dates :

11. The Square : I already know I'm gonna be pissed this won the Palme d'Or ahead of BPM, but I'm still very curious.

10. Wonderstruck : I've heard great things about Todd Hayne's latest.

9. Blade Runner 2049 : There should never have been a sequel, but I won't miss a Denis Villeneuve film.

8. Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri : I'm a Sam Rockwell fan, and word is he is outstanding.

7. It : I've rarely anticipated a horror film that much.

6. Untitled PTA film : PT Anderson + Daniel Day-Lewis = yes please.

5. The Disaster Artist : The Room is so much fun, I can't wait to have fun with the film about its making.

4. The Shape of Water : Another film I've been told great things about. It looks beautiful.

3. Call me by your name : Guadagnino is a director I really like, and word of mouth has been so stellar for this one.

2. Downsizing : Alexander Payne directing a sci-fi crowdpleaser about human beings being miniaturized ? Hell yes.

1. Star Wars The Last Jedi : Duh.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I read the book The Disaster Artist is based on recently and I have a fear that Franco might have cut too much to get it down to 98 minutes. The book works not because of the blow-by-blow production diaries of The Room but because of the chapters that focus on Greg and Tommy's relationship before making the film. Though it seems that some of this material is in the film (Melanie Griffith plays their acting teacher in a flashback focused on their days taking acting classes in San Francisco), I have a feeling that it's going to be mainly focused on the production and premiere (of which the book ends as soon as the film begins its first screening).

The book is really about the bizarre relationship between an ex-model and a mysterious benefactor. I fear the film is will reduce the story to "Tommy is weird".

And I thought you said that Wonderstruck had mixed reviews at Cannes, Chien. Or were critics and audiences simply divided?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi2 wrote:And I thought you said that Wonderstruck had mixed reviews at Cannes, Chien. Or were critics and audiences simply divided?
French reviews were more than good, and they are the ones I trust the most ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That makes sense. American critics (and perhaps most English language critics) seem to only want what they've seen before (and Wonderstruck doesn't seem like most family films).

I'm not buying the Oscar talks though, especially since Amazon's pushing Last Flag Flying and Wonder Wheel harder.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Most Anticipated for me (many of these because I'll see them with my family)

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - I'm a sucker no matter the director or the plot

2. Wonder: You guys have no idea how good this one is going to be.

3. Kingsman: My older boys loved the first one, so we're all in on the sequel

4. The Greatest Showman: As was said earlier, perfect Date night with the wife

5. Jumanji - One the whole family will agree on.

6. Pitch Perfect 3: The first 2 were better than they had any right to be. Expect the same for the third.

7. Battle of the Sexes: Love the cast, love the (sadly) still relevant storyline.

8. The Post: Love the cast, love the (sadly) still relevant storyline :)

9. Murder on the Orient Express: Always a sucker for a good who-done-it. Hoping this is one.

10. The Foreigner: I love Jackie Chan. Can't wait to see what he and James Bond can do.

Now having said all of that - if I get to even 3 of these in the theatre I'll be amazed.