The Obituary Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: The Obituary Thread

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chuck Berry passed way on Saturday, March 18th, at the age of 90. Another icon gone from this world.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Legendary comedian Don Rickles passed away today at the age of 90.

RIP, Mr. Potatohead.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Most of you will shake your heads and go, "Who?" but I just had to mention the death of Tim PIggott-Smith, who passed at age 70 on April 7th.

I bring him up because he played central roles in two of my all time favorite films: In the original Clash of the Titans (1981), my FAVORITE film as a preteen, he played the role of Thallo, the most stalwart of Perseus' allies.

And then, 24 years later, he played the villainous Mr. Creedy in my #2 film of the millennium (so far), V for Vendetta.

His career spanned four decades, which included supporting roles in films like The Remains of the Day, The Four Feathers, Gangs of New York, Johnny English, Alexander, Quantum of Solace, and Alice in Wonderland. Whether you remember him or not, you gotta respect anyone with a career that long.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

We have also lost a notable name from the music industry:

John Warren "J" Geils, lead guitarist and driving force behind the J. Geils Band, passed on April 11 at the age of 71.

Most people remember them as an 80s band, because it was in that decade that they hit it big with hits like "Love Stinks", "Freeze Frame" and their #1 hit "Centerfold", but I did not realize they had done a LOT in the 70's.

Any fans out there?

Also:

Charlie Murphy, brother of Eddie Murphy and a great comedian in his own right, passed from leukemia at 57.

The sketch where he plays Rick James is fucking hysterical. Wish I could find it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Jonathan Demme, director of Philadelphia and Silence of the Lambs, passed away on 4/26. He was 73 years old.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MIchael Parks, who QT fans will remember as Sheriff Earl McGraw (and Esteban Vihalo) from Kill Bill, passed away on May 9 at the age of 77.

He had more than 50 years experience as an actor, appearing in such notable films as Django Unchained, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Assassination of Jesse James, and many, many others.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, was found dead this morning from an apparent suicide. He was 52.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. That sucks so much. I'm devastated. He had one of the best voices in the history of music. What a shame.

So out of all the Seattle bands to hit it big in the early 90's, Eddie Vedder is the only lead singer still alive. (following Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and now Cornell)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And another musical icon has left us.

Gregg Allman has passed from liver cancer at 69 years old.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just found out about this:

Powers Boothe, whose 40-year career starting in Neil Simon's The Goodbye Girl and including roles in The Emerald Forest, Tombstone, Sudden Death,
U Turn, Men of Honor, MacGruber, The Avengers,
and both Sin City films, passed away on May 14 at the age of 68.

He also did a lot of TV shows, including 24, Deadwood and Nashville. His final stint as an actor was as a villain on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

R.I.P. to another great character actor. He was great as the villain.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Actress Glenne Headly passed away on June 8 at the age of 62. No cause of death has been released (that I can find).

She appeared in many films in the 80's and 90's, most notably Doctor Detroit, Mr. Holland's Opus, Sgt. Bilko, and Babe: Pig in the City. Her two most noteworthy roles were opposite Warren Beatty in Dick Tracy and opposite Steve Martin and Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

She also made regular appearances on TV shows like "Lonesome Dove", "ER", "Monk", and was currently in production on the Seth Rogen-produced Hulu series "Future Man".

Her last credited role will be in the upcoming Villa Capri.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Adam West, best known for his role on the campy Batman TV show in the 60's, passed away on June 9th at the age of 88.

Gotta play the theme song in his honor....

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Stephen Furst, best known as the lovable fat guy Flounder in National Lampoon's Animal House, passed away on June 16 at 63.

John Avildsen, who won an Oscar as the director of the original Rocky (and also helmed the first three Karate Kid films) also passed on June 16 at 81.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Peter Sallis, the English actor who began his career as an actor in 1947 on the small screen but didn't land his first starring role until 2005, passed away on June 2 at the age of 96.

For those who don't recognize the name, Sallis played the voice of Wallace in all of the Wallace & Gromit short films, as well as the full-length movie The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

As the only one who put this film on my Top 100 list for the Millennium, I had to give Peter a shout-out.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

wow, a lot of good people have passed,

RIP: Charlie Murphy, Chris Cornell, Adam West and Powers Boothe
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale