Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay guys, thanks to everyone for eating up all the free time I have left. (Wink.)

I will begin our brand new countdown in just a few hours.

Nico and I will start off by announcing our one film that didn't QUITE make the list.

Shrykespeare's #101: The Lincoln Lawyer

Nico's #101: Valkyrie

If anyone else has a #101, feel free to announce it!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Post by Chienfantome »

Cool !!!

I do have... well, actually a bunch of #101 !!
But I'll cite one I left out at the last minute, Memento. Although I could have cited about 20 films that were almost in my Top 100, that might have been if we had made this a year ago or a year from now.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I have loads of films that just didn't make it, although if I had to choose one it would be Attack the Block. Not sure why it isn't in my Top 100, actually.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The last movie I dumped from my list was The Wackness. Excellent, unique coming-of-age film that was really hard to nix from the list, but the nostalgia I have for my #100 film forced me to remove it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I've decided that I will meet you halfway with a 50 list (a list of every movie I rated 10/10 was closer to 50 than 100). Tell me when to get it in and I'll join you.

As for my new script that led to initially turn this project down, it's probably the most ambitious thing I've ever written and it might take months just to write an outline/treatment (currently eight pages but I'm think it could reach 50-60 pages, which for me would translate to 275 pages of screenplay, my longest screenplay was half that in the first draft). Doing a list I figured would keep me occupied and not lead me to have a Barton Fink moment.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

All right! Kicking off our 100-day countdown, here is:

Note: If you did not include a photo, trailer, or clip, I'm NOT going to go get one for you.

CHIENFANTOME

Rogue One – a Star Wars story (2016) - In a few months, it might be much, much higher. Or it could be out of this Top. I still need some time to process this new Star Wars film, but there is little doubt this is the best Star Wars film since Empire Strikes Back. There may be flaws in it, but the film is so exhilarating, the direction so impressive sometimes. And that last act, has Hollywood produced anything more exciting, action-wise, than this last act, lately ? I don’t think so. I’m already regretting not putting it higher. But the film is way too fresh, I just really wanted it to be here.

JOHNERLE

X-Men 3: The Last Stand (2006)

NICODEMUS

Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon (2015)

NUMBERSIX

Raw (2017) - This is a kind of a cheat, considering most of you won’t have seen this film. Yet. But wait until it comes out from March onwards. It’s the story of a teen who starts vetinary university. The studious girl discovers hazing, parties, booze, and drugs, which unleashes a buried cannibalistic urge. It’s a stunningly directed debut film from Julia Ducournau, confident and delicately balancing drama, horror, and a dash of dark humour. I can’t wait to rewatch and hear the responses from the general public about this inevitable hit.

RON BURGUNDY

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - Pretty much the lone real shocker horror movie in my top, and whats more, its part comedy! A nice predicatable setting for horror that builds into a crazy ending, just going over- over the top. When I first watched it, it was refreshing and a surprise.

SHRYKESPEARE

From Hell (2001) – From directorial duo The Hughes Brothers comes this interesting take on the Jack the Ripper legend that stars Johnny Depp as a drug addicted inspector whose powers of observation border on the supernatural. Brought in to investigate the murder of several prostitutes in Victorian London, he finds himself mired in a mystery that reaches all the way to the upper echelon of the government as he strives to protect a winsome prostitute (Heather Graham) who may just hold the key to the empire in her hands. Wonderfully creepy and suspenseful, and one of Depp’s better performances this millennium. Also stars Ian Holm and a woefully underused Robbie Coltrane.

SURFER
We Need To Talk About Kevin [2011] (Dir. Lynne Ramsay)

TRANSFORMERS

Accepted (2006) - Teen comedy Accepted has probably escaped the minds of 99% of the people on the planet that actively watch movies. Hell if it didn't feature a young Jonah Hill and Blake Lively, it probably would've been erased from IMDb's database. Despite its anonymity in the present day, this is a film that I've unabashedly loved since I first saw in it theaters at age 14. The humor is beautifully irreverent, every single one of the protagonists are extremely likable and perhaps most importantly, it reminds me of a simpler time when I wasn't a miserable, cynical asshole.

UNDEADMONKEY

The Lion King 3D (2011) - since this is my one and only re-release and I wasn't sure if they are allowed. I'll put it at the #100 mark instead of in my top 5. With this re-release I was finally able to see the film on the big screen and it really is the only way to see big epic films. Falling in love all over again with the characters and the music, having a blast with my whole family. It really has been one of the few instances to transport me back to my childhood and I'm looking forward to seeing it with my kids someday.

Just to note, this is the first time I've ever been wary of a remake. The animation really lent itself to the quirkiness of the characters and the music and singing. I don't see how the live action will be able to do it justice, plus the voice actors were so iconic in their roles. I'm really wishing for more of a reimagining ala maleficent than an outright remake.

W

End of Watch (2012) - End of Watch had easily one of the best uses of found footage and documentary style in any movie so far. The leads (Michael Pena and Jake Gyllenhaal) were excellent as was the writing.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I actually saw Accepted at the drive-in (Invincible was the other movie).

And I bet Nico's looking forward to A Futile and Stupid Gesture (the narrative version of the National Lampoon story) when it premieres on Netflix later in the year.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Excellent !!! It's a go then !!!

First few comments :

John, X-Men 3 : This is the least interesting X-Men film ever made in my eyes, so hopefully all the X-Men films are in your Top ;)

Nico, Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead : Neve heard of this one, and it's no surprise since National Lampoon films are unkknown properties in France.

Six, Raw : Even in France it's still not released, and I couldn't catch a single screening in various festivals. Can't wait to see it.

Ron, Cabin in the Woods : I've seen it in theaters, must say I can't really remember it.

Shryke, From Hell : I remember hating this film. Well, being really disappointed at least.

Surf, We need to talk about Kevin : What an unsettling film. The kind of film that makes you not want to have children :lol: I love it when films put you in such an uneasy mood. Good film.

Tranny, Accepted : I've neever seen it, I don't think it was released in France actually.

UDM, Lion King 3D : haha, that's a little cheat for sure, but hey, it's #100 so we'll forgive you ;)

W, End of watch : a good film, better than I expected it to be.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And here we go...

Chien: I enjoyed it, but not sure if it's great. Too many issues with the main character, too many good ideas introduced and never developed.
John: That's a surprise, considering it's the least liked of all of the films. But there are some good elements here, such as the killing of Cyclops and the death of Xavier (though that didn't quite work out, did it). I'd still rate the first two, and First Class ahead of it, though.
Nico: Welcome back! Haven't seen it.
Ron: Haven't seen it, but will some day.
Shryke: Haven't seen it. Have seens bits over the years. Really should.
Surf: Great film. Intense and beautifully directed.
Tranny: Yep, don't remember it. Probably didn't see it.
UDM: You big cheat ;) Haven't seen this, or the original.
W: Love this movie, was totally surprised how much I enjoyed it. Almost made my Top 100

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I still remember The Lion King 3-D making Mark Kermode's Worst of 2011 list all because he felt it shouldn't have been converted to 3-D. Personally, I still think it's the best 3-D post-conversion ever done and proof more cel-animated films should be in 3-D.

And Chien, I'm guessing you won't be seeing The Solutrean (one of the movies on my 17 for '17 list) when it opens.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Coool! Thanks for setting this up and getting it going shryke! Be cooler when boosh can join us ;)

Chien (Rogue One): a bit of a surprise, must say. But i accept it, there was some awesome parts of the movie action wise and i will definitely will see it again.
JohnErle (X-Men 3): Even more of a surprise. I think this one was also the weaker of the first 3 x-men movies, but having watched the first half of it recently, not a bad pick.
Nico (Drunk Stoned:Lampoons): Havent seen it, might have to check it out
Six (Raw): same as nico
Surfer (We Need to Talk bout Kev): i missed this one when it came out, on the watchlist though.
Tranny (Accepted): I can hardly remember this one, sorry to say, but im pretty sure i didnt dislike it.
UDM: (The Lion King (3D)): hmm, glad you didnt put this in your top 5- great film, but a little cheeky putting it here. Regardless, i havent seen it in 3D, so might grab a copy for home some day
W (End of Watch): This would have been in my 101-110 movies, almost made my list too. Good performances, was real surprised at the time.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Coool! Thanks for setting this up and getting it going shryke! Be cooler when boosh can join us ;)

Chien (Rogue One): a bit of a surprise, must say. But i accept it, there was some awesome parts of the movie action wise and i will definitely will see it again.
JohnErle (X-Men 3): Even more of a surprise. I think this one was also the weaker of the first 3 x-men movies, but having watched the first half of it recently, not a bad pick.
Nico (Drunk Stoned:Lampoons): Havent seen it, might have to check it out
Six (Raw): same as nico
Surfer (We Need to Talk bout Kev): i missed this one when it came out, on the watchlist though.
Tranny (Accepted): I can hardly remember this one, sorry to say, but im pretty sure i didnt dislike it.
UDM: (The Lion King (3D)): hmm, glad you didnt put this in your top 5- great film, but a little cheeky putting it here. Regardless, i havent seen it in 3D, so might grab a copy for home some day
W (End of Watch): This would have been in my 101-110 movies, almost made my list too. Good performances, was real surprised at the time.

You left mine out Ron! I'll try not to take that personally. :)

Rogue One - coming up on my list. HIGH.
X-Men 3 - didn't care for it. Too top-heavy.
Cabin in the Woods - Its was ok.
Accepted - Loved it. On my list.

Have not seen the others.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I figured I'd start off the controversy and remind everyone that the general consensus means diddly squat to me, so X-Men 3 was a perfect way to do that.

As for my pick #101, I'll go with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It very nearly made my list, but that has more to do with the strength of the source material rather than anything the filmmakers did, although the cinematography and score are very nice. And Gary Oldman is nothing like how I'd always pictured George Smiley. Toby Jones would have been a perfect choice, so it was like rubbing salt in a wound seeing him play a different role in the same film.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And I'll save most of the comments I have about the movies you guys pick until the end. I assume Shryke will be doing a cumulative list, so there's no point in repeating myself when a lot of films will appear more than once.