Full year Ultimate League?

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Full year Ultimate League?

Post by W »

I've been thinking of ways to make a year long ultimate league like the box office one we've got going on and I believe I have a few ways to do it. I wanted to gauge interest before anything happens and get some feedback on which way to go if any.

First off, I foresee the start date as November for a few reasons. It's about half a year after the BO league start date so we'd have different ideas of what will do well when. And it has slow months at the end of the season so we don't cut off major releases early. In all three scenarios we'd still have a salary cap even though we eliminated it for box office I think we'd need it for ultimate. We'd also have a set number of films on our slate. I don't know exactly how much/many money/film slots we'd have right now and we could debate that.

The first idea I had was to run it normally but with more slots, a bigger cap, and over a calendar year. Maybe 20-30 films, $500-800 cap. It borrows a little from the mini super leagues at the end of the year where you can use a film once and only get what it accrues during that three month season, but it would be one giant slate instead of two added together. We'd use the regular pricing scheme.

The second one would be a draft, but not like the Box Office one. We'd have mini drafts each month. Ideally 10 people per league so everyone drafts on every spot once (there are ten three month seasons in a year), but we could make it pretty fair even if it's not a ten person league. Every film would be able to get drafted three times (a May film could get drafted in March, April, and May for instance). Still the same deal as the first idea where you'd have 20-30 spots to fill a year with $500-$800 budget. In each draft you could select as many or few films as you want, 2 one month, 10 another, it doesn't matter. You just have to fill your spots/budget eventually.

The last one is like the second one but with an auction every month instead of a draft. My guess is it would be way too time consuming and complicated, but it can be done and I believe would be fun. We'd have an auction board that people would update and all bidding would close the time the first film of the month locks.

Let me know what you think.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Full year Ultimate League?

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll have to read this at home and not at work because I have a hard time following it all, but it sure sounds interesting.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Yeah I'm intrigued. It could work. And it'd be pretty fun.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Agreed! Sounds awesome!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Maybe I'm dumb, but I've read W's thoughts like 5 times and I still have no idea how it would work.

But if I can figure it out before November, of course I'm in!
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Maybe I'm dumb, but I've read W's thoughts like 5 times and I still have no idea how it would work.

But if I can figure it out before November, of course I'm in!
samers :arrow: :lol:

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I was afraid I was the only one, although I'm the only one with the language excuse :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The first post I wrote on my cell because our internet was out, so let me see if I can get this out of my head more concise. Let me know what does/doesn't make sense.

I had three possibilities of how to do a league. All of these will be scored like one big league. The same way, T5 points, PTA points, total $, IMDb rating. But there will be a larger budget and many more films.

A calendar year for us in the normal leagues is ten individual seasons (January-March, February-April, March-May... October-December). We will start in November, so it will go Nov-Jan/Dec-Feb.../last one being Aug-Oct (6 months away from BO league, we won't cut off some of the biggest movies of the year).

Our budget is typically $100 and 8 films per slate for one season so we'd grow those being that we're doing it over ten seasons. Thinking over it more, I'm thinking 40 films, $500 budget, which is exactly half of what we're doing now per season (comes out to 4 films, $50 per season). The exact amount of films and budget can be exactly defined later, but let's just say it's 40 and $500 right now for clarification. But, in all of these you will not have to have 4 films and $50 each and every season because it is one big league. You can have eight from one and zero from another. You could do all 40 in one season, though I don't see how that will help you.

So, my three possibilities:

#1 Run it like a normal league. We use the ten pricing schemes as the basis of what costs what. Same rules pretty much exactly as normal, but when you add a film you will have to say "I want March Captain America or I want May Captain America." If you pick March Captain America, it will (probably) be cheaper, but it will only get what it accrues in that season (you'll miss out on June and July grosses, PTA, T5) and the IMDb score will lock at the end of the season. You're adding it to your one large slate. I don't believe you should be allowed to add the same movie multiple times (having Captain America March AND May for instance).

#2 A series of mini drafts. Each season we'd have a draft for films from that season. The draft order would be randomized each season, ideally it'd be a 10 person league (ten seasons, ten drafts) so that everyone could pick 1st once, 2nd once, 3rd once, etc, but we can find a way to make it pretty fair either way. You'd draft like we normally do, but can stop drafting whenever you want and save your spots/money for the next round because you're trying to fill your large year-long slate, not a slate for that month. Just like in #1 you're adding it to your one large slate, each film is able to be used three times (like March, April, May Captain America above). Maybe we use a pricing scheme here, maybe there is no budget and you have to draft 30-40 films in a year and slate size is the only hindrance. My thinking on the latter is most of the mid sized stuff will never be used and most everyone's slate will have large films and art house films but nothing in between. I'm also unsure if people should be able to draft the same films multiple times. I see pros for and against.

#3 An auction every season for films. Same as above, you'd fill 40 slots for $500 for a year, but prices wouldn't be set by a committee, they'd be set by whoever pays the most for them. Each month when the pricing scheme is released we will have an auction that runs until the first film that month is locked. The highest bidder simply wins the title. It would be a strict time and everything is time stamped so it would be easy to figure out who got what. Each season would have an auction thread. We just cut and paste the pricing scheme on the first page in the thread, but without prices. You just post your bid in the thread and multiple people can update the top bids through the week. It would be scored exactly like above. I'm also unsure if people should be able to own multiple of the same film (March, April, May again).

Anyway, just let me know what you don't understand and I will try to clarify what I'm thinking the best I can. Also, much of this stuff can be changed if the people want it. We can also go through a for instance dry run of them over the next few months just to show you what I'm thinking about.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I'd probably play...although I too had a hard time understanding what the fuck was going on :)

jas8382
Jason Voorhees

Post by jas8382 »

I'm in, but why can't we draft the movies like we do with the full year box office? Just wondering?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My guess was that there were a ton of smaller movies that would go undrafted because no one knows what they are. It's a lot easier to find something that you think may get $30 M in March ten months in advance than projecting what's going to play at a film festival, get picked up, then get released in season. Would films get points for the first three months, or if you draft Hubble 3D would you get points when it makes the PTA top five in October when it released in March? What is included in the PTA points anyway? Something that was undrafted, released in one theater for one week and made $5000... Does it count in PTA points?

I thought of these ways because it mostly uses the standard we have set for the normal leagues we have (things like pricing scheme, what films are included in the league, scoring, definitions of PTA/IMDb/T5, etc). There's like a thousand questions to answer, but if that's what people want I'm up for whatever anyone wants to do.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I'm in too. As a fantasy sports player, I absolutely LOVE the thought of an auction... my only concern is with how insanely hard it would be to get a full list of PTA picks and evaluate them. It's hard enough to get a grasp of the box office calendar for 12 months.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Spectre wrote:I'm in too. As a fantasy sports player, I absolutely LOVE the thought of an auction... my only concern is with how insanely hard it would be to get a full list of PTA picks and evaluate them. It's hard enough to get a grasp of the box office calendar for 12 months.
Which is a major reason why I thought we should have an auction where every season is a "round". You bid on that season's releases the first week of the month and each one is over when the first film of the season locks. By then you know pretty much what's going on. I think it would work out really well and that's my favorite right now.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Auction, love it. Count me in.

Though can we trial a top 6/7 instead of top 5. I'd like to see more reward for 1st place and also films with legs
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Could, but its a whole lot easier to look when Shryke posts the official T5 and PTAs in the Speare's/Banks Tips thread and use those. Especially if you wanted to do the same thing with PTA.